Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/zachdespart/status/1430259365647429633?s=21

😬

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
We got some Lina stans and simps here that would be all over this.

https://twitter.com/LinaHidalgoTX/status/1430266699220090880

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Man, if there wasn't an out of control plague that is ravaging my city and state, I might riot or something about how my government is deliberately stoking an out of control a plague that is ravaging my city and state.

What a pickle.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/matthewjdowd/status/1430251471099027458?s=20

i appreciate this man trying to help out but lmao if he thinks "former bush adviser" is the person to beat greg abbott as a democrat in 2022

I've lived in Austin for 10 years and people have stories of meeting Stevie Ray Vaughn, Willy Nelson, or Matthew McConnaughey. But my only "celebrity" sighting was Matthew Dowd eating a bagel at the Bruegger's on Bee Caves.... sigh....

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I saw Luke Wilson at that open air bar place downtown where they used to do a huge karaoke thing, this woulda been 15 years ago or something. It had a swingers type name like Caddilacs, I can't remember. Also, Alex Jones in a convenience store.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I saw Luke Wilson at that open air bar place downtown where they used to do a huge karaoke thing, this woulda been 15 years ago or something. It had a swingers type name like Caddilacs, I can't remember. Also, Alex Jones in a convenience store.

The place where cheer up Charlie’s is now?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jiro posted:

loving pussy rear end communists

Lol. Texas citizens of the late 19th Century, more enlightened or, just more racist, than early 21st Century.

Austin really is a great place to visit and people watch.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 25, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

The place where cheer up Charlie’s is now?

I googled this and it appears so, I definitely remember that rock wall

e: lol yeah it was Club De Ville

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jesus loving Christ I miss Club de Ville AND The Ritz when it was a shithouse hole in the wall crust punk bar.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I did. He was very short.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

You young Badgers get off my drat lawn.

I saw Stevie Ray and his whole family at an Austin restaurant, back in the day. My most memorable celeb meet was Robin Williams at a bar called Fat Dogs that used to be across from the Texas Tech football stadium in Lubbock. He was there drinking beer and telling stories after a concert on campus.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Old James posted:

I've lived in Austin for 10 years and people have stories of meeting Stevie Ray Vaughn, Willy Nelson, or Matthew McConnaughey. But my only "celebrity" sighting was Matthew Dowd eating a bagel at the Bruegger's on Bee Caves.... sigh....

When I was at A&M I saw George HW Bush. A crowd of students gathered around him and he said “Don’t you guys have a class to go to or something?”

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Yeah this is what I mean when I say the big marquee bills that get all the press often aren't as important as little boring ones. DV gun violence is a massive problem, probably the number one gun homicide cause, and combating that is a worthy and effective goal. I didn't read one word about this bill all session.

To be fair, that was on purpose because it had a target on its back and it wouldn't have even made it to the governor if Rs in the House had known it was about NICS and not just a boring paperwork bill. It's like Howard's gun safety storage rider stuck into the budget in 2019 - the NRA will kill anything done out in the open.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I saw Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow at Mozarts in 2005 or 2006 or some time that I was living in Austin when it was cool instead of stupid and lame like it is now.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

I saw Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow at Mozarts in 2005 or 2006 or some time that I was living in Austin when it was cool instead of stupid and lame like it is now.

Austin was never cool, hate to be the one to tell you.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/jayrjordan/status/1430192389793239042?s=21

Dameius posted:

Yup.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Oh no not old silos…I work about a mile from there and have no recollection of seeing those

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The times Austin has been considered cool was always “before” and never “now”.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Oh no they demolished the siloes, what was that land being used for before being turned into a church?

quote:

After operating as a grain elevator for decades, the site was most recently a boat and RV storage lot.

Hmm can't really say we lost very much here.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I don’t care about the silos but we don’t need more mega churches.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i saw thong guy and leslie lots and lots of times and took a UT class with jennifer gale but no real celebrities. i guess i saw stan lee do a talk and that was neat

in 2005 at acl fest i saw dubya fly over in three black helicopters on his way back from looking at katrina damage. i was on shrooms

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Captain Monkey posted:

I don’t care about the silos but we don’t need more mega churches.

Silos are explicitly better:

Megachurch:
Opulent
Idolatrous
Actively harms the ideologies of people attending

Historic Silos:
Stored Food at one point
A gentle reminder of a bygone past
Vaguely proletarian

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m sorry if you want old silos you’re just gonna have to go to Sawyer Yards and breath in the bougieness

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I rarely go anywhere so I have almost no brushes with celebrity, but I did see Ann Richards at the Dobie Theater sometime around 1992.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

i say swears online posted:

i saw thong guy and leslie lots and lots of times and took a UT class with jennifer gale but no real celebrities. i guess i saw stan lee do a talk and that was neat

in 2005 at acl fest i saw dubya fly over in three black helicopters on his way back from looking at katrina damage. i was on shrooms

I thought Leslie was the thong guy. There’s another?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Old James posted:

I thought Leslie was the thong guy. There’s another?

Leslie walked around in a thong most of the time, but always had other things on as well. There was another guy who biked around downtown in nothing but a thong (really more of a flap over the junk).

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Dameius posted:

Austin was always cool the day you moved there and immediately became lame starting with the next person to move the city after you, loving transplants just dont get it, you know?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Chuck Norris cut in front of my family in line to be seated at a restaurant in Dallas

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sardonik posted:

Silos are explicitly better:

Megachurch:
Opulent
Idolatrous
Actively harms the ideologies of people attending

Historic Silos:
Stored Food at one point
A gentle reminder of a bygone past
Vaguely proletarian

The Virgin Megachurch and the Chad Grain Silo

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Theyre only demolishing some of the silos that are structurally unsound. Don't worry. They're keeping the rest to paint the name of the church on

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Heads up, tropical depression in the gulf that maybe kinda possibly could turn huricane and hit Texas.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ah I thought we would make it a whole year without catastrophic floods in houston but I suppose not

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

Heads up, tropical depression in the gulf that maybe kinda possibly could turn huricane and hit Texas.

Really early though

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1430497401807294467

Living on the Gulf for over a decade now, and I think the best thing you can do is be prepared all hurricane season to bolt, but then don't spend time worrying about storms that are over a week away.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Dameius posted:

Austin may not be cool but at least it's not Houston or so I tell myself.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m glad people who don’t live in Houston keep thinking it’s this awful concrete shithole, that way we can keep all this goodness to ourselves without having Austinites and Californians coming and ruining it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/geniusguy69/status/1430461827570454531

LanceHunter posted:

Leslie walked around in a thong most of the time, but always had other things on as well. There was another guy who biked around downtown in nothing but a thong (really more of a flap over the junk).

thank you for this accurate post

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Astrochicken posted:

Austin may not be cool but at least it's not Houston or so I tell myself.

Houston is great. Austin is poo poo. It has always been this way and always will be.

Hope that helps you OP.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m glad people who don’t live in Houston keep thinking it’s this awful concrete shithole, that way we can keep all this goodness to ourselves without having Austinites and Californians coming and ruining it.

And all the good food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think houston and austin are both fine v:shobon:v