Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

Skate AND die, not skate OR die

or can be both. it’s xor that is exclusive :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I wonder if I signed up for nursing school now, already having a bachelors, could I graduate, specialize in ICU or Respiratory stuff and still have time to get in on the 8k a week bandwagon? Hell,
once it turns into a real bidding war, I bet you’ll be able to hold rich states like CA and NY up for 40K a month by the time all is said and done.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
okay lol I swear I don't work for Des Moines water works

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Is there a projection of what the CFR% becomes once there are no hospital beds left?

Wuhan's CFR went up to about 5% at the nadir of their outbreak

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

navyjack posted:

I wonder if I signed up for nursing school now, already having a bachelors, could I graduate, specialize in ICU or Respiratory stuff and still have time to get in on the 8k a week bandwagon? Hell,
once it turns into a real bidding war, I bet you’ll be able to hold rich states like CA and NY up for 40K a month by the time all is said and done.

By acknowledging it you ruined it, good work.

No one is gonna pay nurses $400K+ a year.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Public poop profiles lol and it has covid lmao

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Ruggan posted:

can’t believe you idiots are still talking about COVID-19… let it go, it’s been over for 2 years

CFR will go down!

Look, if you die outside the hospital, potentially untested, who the hell can say what you died WITH not OF.
(it's the Japanese strategy lol)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Iowa is diseased, what else is new

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
This is the Starbucks at Shenzhen Airport right now.

China isn't loving around.

Apr 7, 2003

Boat Stuck posted:

Impossible. State power isn't real and covid is not controllable.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

By acknowledging it you ruined it, good work.

No one is gonna pay nurses $400K+ a year.

it's not like they plan on the nurses surviving/staying in the job a whole year

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

meanwhile in america starbucks are starting to use maskless boomers volunteering their time for free

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Impossible. State power isn't real and covid is not controllable.

An economist professor acquaintance of mine made that very case.
When I laughed at him he said "but a virologist I know says it will be endemic and we just gotta live with it."

I told him to "please do me a favor and go out and die of it then".... I don't think we're friends anymore now.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Boat Stuck posted:

pumpkin spice season is back, baby!!!!

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Consummate Professional posted:

I'd like to see cumulative 9/11s too. the old people in my life kinda understand that

You’re in luck, here’s fosborb’s tracker
https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/fosborb.sa/viz/RealGoodCovidTrackerVariant/Tracker

Apr 7, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

An economist professor acquaintance of mine made that very case.
When I laughed at him he said "but a virologist I know says it will be endemic and we just gotta live with it."

I told him to "please do me a favor and go out and die of it then".... I don't think we're friends anymore now.

i am harry posted:

meanwhile in america starbucks are starting to use maskless boomers volunteering their time for free

I'm so tired.

Apr 7, 2003

There was thread after thread here about teaching English overseas and Japan was always the trophy destination, going back a decade and more. People who decided to teach in China were low key mocked. Who's laughing now? lol

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1430389512279101440?s=19

This is probably not going to help much unfortunately. I understand that Russia has been unable to scale up the production of Sputnik V to meet it's already existing delivery agreements.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

!

isn't the consensus among virologists basically that it's already endemic no matter what we do at this point anyway?

Have you heard of this thing called"quarantine"

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

There was thread after thread here about teaching English overseas and Japan was always the trophy destination, going back a decade and more. People who decided to teach in China were low key mocked. Who's laughing now? lol

I'm laughing... well laugh crying coz I never taught English here or anywhere. I'm not even a native speaker.
I was just told to come here or my job would go without me. I'm just an idiot worker-drone caught in a bad situation.

Edit: Even pre-virus Japan sucked for a wide variety of reason unless you were permanently weeb/lib-brained.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I looked up the SAE rate for ivermectin and apparently it's 6 per 100,000 if administered properly. Horse paste idiots can't even take medicine right.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Where is that map of all the public safety health officials that got fired, retired or quit or maybe murdered/suicide lol. We had one for the first year I think.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6998078138420890886

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4n3dbPqk58

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

god bless

Apr 7, 2003

For 100% loving real, if I got accepted to a job in the PRC today I'd be gone from here tomorrow. There's nothing left here for me, I don't feel like I belong here, and the rest of my life here is just going to be a downward spiral wrt material conditions without a commensurate increase in human conditions. I'm tired and I want out.

Apr 7, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

Edit: Even pre-virus Japan sucked for a wide variety of reason unless you were permanently weeb/lib-brained.

Japan is basically Asia America lol

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

For 100% loving real, if I got accepted to a job in the PRC today I'd be gone from here tomorrow. There's nothing left here for me, I don't feel like I belong here, and the rest of my life here is just going to be a downward spiral wrt material conditions without a commensurate increase in human conditions. I'm tired and I want out.

Word. I actually asked my Chinese coworker how to get into China.
He just stared then said "are you reading my thoughts?".... sigh lmao

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Higher use and obsession with "conservative-approved wonder drugs for covid" like hydroxywhatever and ivermectin seem to occur mostly when covid is actually hitting closer to home for conservative circles. This leads to an interesting pattern where they are simultaneously trying to downplay covid + "liberal" preventative measures like masks, or vaccines, while ironically seeking out any covid preventative/cure they hear about in their groups. They downplay the disease, but they betray their inner fear with these drugs.

Apr 7, 2003

I had a chinese national coworker last year who used to bullshit with me about American working conditions vs. China and he ducked the gently caress out the minute the pandemic started and left. Smart guy

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
It will be great when China in a couple of years from now goes into a sort of second "renaissance" because of all the people with good brains noping the hell out of the crumbling west which has increasingly little to offer for them.

lol lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i'm 50/50 on china or new zealand. new zealand i wouldnt have to learn a new language but china definitely has better career opportunities

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Japan always seemed like a great place to visit and kind of a lovely place to live. jealous of their trains though, extremely

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1430343630749843456?s=20

someone please ask this woman about the concentration camps on the border btw

I'm being dead serious, would these people pass a psych eval? They are flat out living in another reality and have nothing left tethering themselves to this dimension.

Seriously what the gently caress is this? Mass hysteria?

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Bullfrog posted:

Higher use and obsession with "conservative-approved wonder drugs for covid" like hydroxywhatever and ivermectin seem to occur mostly when covid is actually hitting closer to home for conservative circles. This leads to an interesting pattern where they are simultaneously trying to downplay covid + "liberal" preventative measures like masks, or vaccines, while ironically seeking out any covid preventative/cure they hear about in their groups. They downplay the disease, but they betray their inner fear with these drugs.

Kinda reminds me of the Research Chemicals thread of crackhead club or whatever it's called now.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Is there a projection of what the CFR% becomes once there are no hospital beds left?

5-10% from what they saw in Iran and other places that had a collapse with wild strain

Apr 7, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

i'm 50/50 on china or new zealand. new zealand i wouldnt have to learn a new language but china definitely has better career opportunities

There's a guy in YOSPOS who picked up from Maine and moved to Shenzhen after college and he's probably the happiest person in that entire subforum and I resent and envy him a shitload.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

i mean honestly even the idea of "giving up" feels like it's just a psychological bandaid so we can at least claim that all of this was our choice lol. we never had anything to give up on! we never did anything!

isn't the consensus among virologists basically that it's already endemic no matter what we do at this point anyway? we're certainly not going to "beat" it and we're not going to hit high enough vaccination rates for herd immunity to even be on the table (assuming it's possible in the first place)

i guess presumably it either tears through the unvaxxed to the point that er rates drop because enough of the unvaxxed are dead and patient outcomes for vaccinated people are better enough not to overwhelm the system, or it mutates into something that just plants vaccinated people in the morgue at the same rate and everything finally falls apart

We could copy the Chinese approach.
1) Rigorous contact tracing (backed by arrest for non-compliant contacts)
2) Obligate quarantining for both travelers and suspected sick (backed by arrest for breaking quarantine)
3) Mandatory vaccination (backed by mandatory quarantine until R0 rates in an area are at or below 1)
4) Enforced non-pharmaceutical interventions (mask requirements backed by fines)
5) Social programs supporting all these measures including food rations, emergency stipends, remote education, and work-from-home

Contact tracing is like a fire extinguisher. It allows an effective epidemiology team to pour cold water on a trail of sparks. Mandatory vaccination and NPIs are like fire retardant, they slow the spread in general. Obligate quarantines prevent new cases from being introduced to the population. The social programs are the support system that enables the rest of this to work without the population rebelling.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 25, 2021

Apr 7, 2003

Casey Finnigan posted:

Japan always seemed like a great place to visit and kind of a lovely place to live. jealous of their trains though, extremely

It's fun to watch Japanese media and American travelogues where it's just accepted that everyone gets around via tram when we tore all of ours out in the fifites.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Shear Modulus posted:

what, you don’t want to be a stunt person?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

It will be great when China in a couple of years from now goes into a sort of second "renaissance" because of all the people with good brains noping the hell out of the crumbling west which has increasingly little to offer for them.

lol lmao

i still hear that non-chinese can't fit in as well as say chinese can fit in as immigrants (i have tons of chinese-born, indian-born, european-born, etc colleagues and friends here in america for example). is that true?

if the chinese govt actually pushed a "got an advanced degree from an american or european college? come the gently caress in!!!" program theyd blow past america in wealth even faster than expected