Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Atrocious Joe posted:

I wonder if Australia is getting pressure from the US to open up and let COVID in. The longer they remain strict on COVID the more appealing closer relations China becomes, as it is the one major COVID-free power around. Combined with how close they already are economically, COVID-free Australia might drift away from the anti-China Quad.

Friendship ended between Australia and China
Australia wanted an inquiry into Covid origins and also criticised them on human rights stuff such as the Uighurs and we are allies with the US, so we are in the poo poo with China.
They are waging an unofficial trade war on us as well as trolling us on social media. We aren’t pivoting away from the US to China anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

2011 - smash mouth eat the eggs
2021 - chuds eat the paste

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

bit of the 'mectin will perk you up

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

I lived in other predominantly white countries for a couple of years, despite speaking the language so fluently that I was mistaken for a native on the phone, looking and dressing just like them -- I was often, behind my back, referred to as "the German". As in "What's the German up to?".. not necessarily ill intentioned, but yeah you are always 'the other'.

Ultimately, I decided to take it in good graces, but yeah.
So I love that people put this at Chinas feet as if that was a novel or especially heinous thing for only the Chinese people to do..

Northern and southern Indians hate each other

Catholic and Protestant Germany aren't exactly good friends

It's funny that China gets this sort of treatment today when it's the norm in human relations and has only been sorted out in maneuvers like Italy saying "you're all Italians now and you all speak Tuscan," and probably not even then.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
let's be honest. how much of the cultural animosity between china and the west comes down to the fact that they use scary letters like 美利坚合众国

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Northern and southern Indians hate each other

Catholic and Protestant Germany aren't exactly good friends

It's funny that China gets this sort of treatment today when it's the norm in human relations and has only been sorted out in maneuvers like Italy saying "you're all Italians now and you all speak Tuscan," and probably not even then.

my northern italian dad hates southern italians, and romans

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bullfrog posted:

Higher use and obsession with "conservative-approved wonder drugs for covid" like hydroxywhatever and ivermectin seem to occur mostly when covid is actually hitting closer to home for conservative circles. This leads to an interesting pattern where they are simultaneously trying to downplay covid + "liberal" preventative measures like masks, or vaccines, while ironically seeking out any covid preventative/cure they hear about in their groups. They downplay the disease, but they betray their inner fear with these drugs.

"I don't need no fancy college doctor to tell me how to fight just a cold! I'm a real murican and can figure this out with my bigly good brain and the latest word from my boomer qanon facebook group and Jeezus!"

It's just more posturing and blind rage

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Casey Finnigan posted:

let's be honest. how much of the cultural animosity between china and the west comes down to the fact that they use scary letters like 美利坚合众国

Not a lot because if Japan uses the same letters they stole... sorry borrowed from China it's "UWUUUU KAWAIII!"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

China isn't an ethno-state.

Shear Modulus posted:

well that sucks for them because thats a huge reason as to why america was the strongest country for the period it was

if china was really communist thedyd accept comrades no matter the color of their skin

the US accepted immigrants because it need to garrison a bunch of land it stole from the natives and then a workforce in its new factories.

The US is still stronger and richer than China. China just has a state that cares about public health.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Shear Modulus posted:

well that sucks for them because thats a huge reason as to why america was the strongest country for the period it was

if china was really communist thedyd accept comrades no matter the color of their skin

The average Han Chinese is almost certainly not any more "liberal" or "enlightened" than the average White American.

It's not like the government doesn't know that reasonable immigration is a good idea. But it doesn't seem to be something they want to piss people off about.

quote:

Mar 12th 2020

CHINA’S LEADERS have pulled off a remarkable feat. They have joined the long list of governments humbled by a populist revolt over immigration—though there are hardly any immigrants in China, and political opposition is banned. The revolt’s cause is also a surprise: a consultation exercise by the justice ministry, inviting comments on a proposal to make it slightly easier for rich or highly skilled foreigners to become permanent residents. This expands a scheme begun in 2004. On March 7th, after days of online fury, officials took the proposal back for revisions. Soon afterwards censors moved to shut down the debate. By then a related hashtag on Weibo, a Twitter-like service, had been viewed more than 5bn times. A dismaying number of comments betrayed racial and sexual panic, with men vowing to defend Chinese women from immigrants, notably from Africa. Several young women vowed to leap from the Great Wall rather than marry a foreigner.

Some anger is understandable. Foreign permanent residents may have as many children as they wish, and bring them up and educate them in any city in China. Bossy family-planning and residency rules deny Chinese citizens such freedom. Some indignation reflects a trend seen in other countries: a distrust of technocrats who defend migration as an economic necessity. Wang Huiyao heads a think-tank, the Centre for China and Globalisation, which promoted the permanent-residency scheme. For his pains he has been vilified online as a traitor. Mr Wang calls some suggestions helpful, such as requests for clarification of which PhD subjects earn a green card. Defending the scheme, he says: “China has been a giant exporter of talent for the 40 years of reform and opening. Why can’t China now seek to import some global talents?”

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

My whole tiktok is just recommending doomer covid videos now.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMR6MpDQK/
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/????6??????
opened up tiktok and got this,
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6999510066525261057

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gently caress northern Italians

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

gently caress Italians

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
how many weeks/months til we get the vaccine resistant strain guys?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
and it's only going to increase
:lmao:

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Chuka Umana posted:

negative 20 weeks ago

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Boy I wish I hadn't read these words goddamn

Atrocious Joe posted:

rope worms are apparently just the remnants of their hosed up bowels
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_worms

it gets worse because people think these worms cause autism and do poo poo to their kids to "cure" them. we need a US Cultural Revolution.

I wish I hadn't read this either

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Chuka Umana posted:

It's most likely already here.
It's just not on our radar, yet, because unless a significant amount of people in a rich country* die from it no one gives a poo poo. lmao

*that is not America

Apr 7, 2003

Eyyy! Marone!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

maybe it's just one infected supershitter skewing the sewage

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Solarin posted:

maybe it's just one infected supershitter skewing the sewage

Invectermin WORKS!

QED BITCXH

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

loving hell

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

VomitOnLino posted:

Not a lot because if Japan uses the same letters they stole... sorry borrowed from China it's "UWUUUU KAWAIII!"

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
will the vaccine resistant strain finally blackpill cspam into rooting for the virus to kill as many people as possible as retribution by the natural world for the folly of men?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zStn70Ot4r0

cspam in two months "the underclasses are starting to get desperate"

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boat Stuck posted:

The average Han Chinese is almost certainly not any more "liberal" or "enlightened" than the average White American.

It's not like the government doesn't know that reasonable immigration is a good idea. But it doesn't seem to be something they want to piss people off about.

Communist Chinese leadership has struggled against conservative and traditional forces in their own country since the party's very origins, and there's only so much they can do without losing support. Even countries with a powerful central government as China have to be careful about how they spend political capital. And China has certainly had its problems maintaining that support in the past, and even continues to this day.

It turns out conservatives literally everywhere on earth are pretty racist and terrible, and there's a lot of them everywhere.

e: grammar mistake

Lenin Stimpy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 25, 2021

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Chuka Umana posted:

if some of the indications are true that's it's really delta and not waning immunity causing the big drops if efficacy... imho we got our first variant of high consequence already here

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

text editor posted:

Asking my local Tractor supply to be more ADA compliant and label horse paste with Braille so repeat customers can find it

Still thinking about how good this joke was

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Japan is forward/backward on so many things. Love the country side though. Would be great to just move there and be isolated with a small farming community. Drive or train into the city here and there.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Chuka Umana posted:

At least one has already been identified, but it's not as prolific as Delta. Silver linings!

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chuka Umana posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zStn70Ot4r0

cspam in two months "the underclasses are starting to get desperate"

oh how much i would give for the underclasses to be desperate for the vaccine

Apr 7, 2003

Lenin Stimpy posted:

oh how much i would give for the underclasses to be desperate for the vaccine

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

mod sassinator posted:

if some of the indications are true that's it's really delta and not waning immunity causing the big drops if efficacy... imho we got our first variant of high consequence already here

i'm putting my hopes on the vaccinated vs unvaccinated hyberbolic training chamber of the US giving us delta 2: hyper fighting edition before next year

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
huh, my friends want to take their 18 month old to Atlanta, GA from the Bay Area for a wedding.

this is a terrible idea, but I have no idea how bad of an idea this is. can a goon from atlanta tell me how bad of an idea this is?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Just like we handled the reconstruction south. Weird!

As someone fascinated by Southern history I've wondered more than a few times if all of the former slaveowners in the South and the rest of the rebel shitbag elites were just hanged.

The world would have been a better place.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shadowhand00 posted:

huh, my friends want to take their 18 month old to Atlanta, GA from the Bay Area for a wedding.

this is a terrible idea, but I have no idea how bad of an idea this is. can a goon from atlanta tell me how bad of an idea this is?

The weed is great but otherwise SF isn't worth it. Can't speak to the covid conditions.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Ice Phisherman posted:

As someone fascinated by Southern history I've wondered more than a few times if all of the former slaveowners in the South and the rest of the rebel shitbag elites were just hanged.

The world would have been a better place.

reconstruction was doomed to fail the moment blacks and whites started working together to fight gilded age inequality.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

pulled from this reddit post
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/pay78n/oc_active_covid19_cases_per_capita_in_usa_1212020/
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CavernousChubbyConey-mobile.mp4

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tzen posted:

loving hell

Can you imagine this

Happening in hundreds of COVID wards across the entire country, thousands around the world

All day, every day for weeks, months and now a year and a half

No wonder why nurses are quitting, abusing drugs and getting suicidal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tzen posted:

pulled from this reddit post

the Sturgis wave from last year keeps appearing in these animations lol