Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Hey at least this liberal party member isn't laundering money for fentanyl gangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

half cocaine posted:

Hey at least this liberal party member isn't laundering money for fentanyl gangs.

[citation needed]

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Arivia posted:

[citation needed]

http://globalnews.ca/news/5895528/richmond-mp-attempts-to-distance-himself-from-illegal-international-money-laundering-scheme-court-case/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jagmeet has a clever plan to make every Canadian renter’s annual rent go up by, hmm, pretty much exactly $5,000.

https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1429087832358932487?s=20

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Every single person in government just seems to want to beat around the real issue. This just sounds like money from the government that suddenly makes its way directly into the hands of landlords.

How about, oh I dunno, building some social housing. Or perhaps even just nothing, at least that would be something that doesn't just add extra padding to the wallets of the people you claim to be penalizing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nobody in power wants to fundamentally change the housing system, they just want to change ownership because of how much money it funnels into the ruling party and their rich donor friends.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yeah I'm sure the renters will appreciate it until however long it takes for the units to turn over and their next apartment's rent is even higher.

Is it too much to ask for some forward thinking in policies? I don't know how much housing you could build for however much that would cost but I'm sure it's a decent amount.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Actually I think you'll find that the free market is the best arbiter of supply, demand, and prices; it just needs occasional tweaking in the form of a tax credit here and a developer incentive/handout/bribe there and we're good to go.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

eXXon posted:

Actually I think you'll find that the free market is the best arbiter of supply, demand, and prices; it just needs occasional tweaking in the form of a tax credit here and a developer incentive/handout/bribe there and we're good to go.

I know you are being sarcastic, but I think the bolded part is fairly true. The problem is that housing prices are being distorted by the fact that there are no substitutes (or very poor substitutes, like being homeless) and that people cannot enter and leave the market at will. That suggests that this market is very inefficient at price discovery. Doesn't it?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Arc Hammer posted:

Nobody in power wants to fundamentally change the housing system, they just want to change ownership because of how much money it funnels into the ruling party and their rich donor friends.

I think it's more that anything that even appears to have the possibility to negatively impact house prices would be a complete death blow to that parties electoral chances.

There are a lot of homeowners, and they are way more likely to vote than renters

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
4BR house sells for 1.36M in loving Caledon, lmao

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/toronto/article-rural-ontario-home-gets-13-offers-sells-for-367000-over-asking/

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
caledon is where all the rich people from toronto go to play english lord though

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

MickeyFinn posted:

I know you are being sarcastic, but I think the bolded part is fairly true. The problem is that housing prices are being distorted by the fact that there are no substitutes (or very poor substitutes, like being homeless) and that people cannot enter and leave the market at will. That suggests that this market is very inefficient at price discovery. Doesn't it?

It's probably at least fairly decent for a lot of things, but yeah, housing is not an efficient market. If things get out of hand on a basic need I don't think we're going to be counting on the free market.

I guess there's also something to be said that people refer to 'free market' a lot, but there is no true free market. Literally everything that I can think of is subject to some kind of regulations be it for safety, health, whatever.
In a true free market you get to decide for yourself whether the meat you're about to eat will infect you with a deadly parasite! Fun!

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Baronjutter posted:

I still strongly think it should be nearly impossible for a landlord to kick someone out for any reason other than like actively destroying the place or simply not paying rent. You want to re-develop the property? Tough poo poo, wait for the tenant to move out or pay for them to leave. Your daughter is moving into town to go to school and you want to give her the suite to live in? Tough poo poo, she can move in when the previous tenant leaves like anyone else. You want to renovate the unit? Better work something out with the tenant then. Building just changed owners? Doesn't matter to the tenants, their rental agreements remain the same and just as ironclad.

Don't want to deal with such a potential long term issue? Don't become a landlord then.

The whole "I'm moving a family member in" is such a grossly abused loophole. It's also stupid because what the hell does blood or genetics have to do with tenant rights?

i got kicked out of my place last year mid pandemic via the landlord's use of property clause. i moved across the street and can see my old place from my kitchen. 10 months later it's still empty. i'm guessing they are technically occupying it until they can rent it at a new higher rate or sell it

Mantle
May 15, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

i got kicked out of my place last year mid pandemic via the landlord's use of property clause. i moved across the street and can see my old place from my kitchen. 10 months later it's still empty. i'm guessing they are technically occupying it until they can rent it at a new higher rate or sell it

Apply for 12 months' compensation from the landlord if you live in BC

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Mantle posted:

Apply for 12 months' compensation from the landlord if you live in BC

this is much harder than you think it is

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Yeah no if nobody is actually living there then pretty much for all you know it could 100% be landlord's use, and proving otherwise is impossible.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

qhat posted:

Yeah no if nobody is actually living there then pretty much for all you know it could 100% be landlord's use, and proving otherwise is impossible.

The tenant doesn't have to prove it, the onus is on the landlord

quote:

The onus is on the landlord to prove that they accomplished the purpose for ending
the tenancy under sections 49 or 49.2 of the RTA or that they used the rental unit for
its stated purpose under sections 49(6)(c) to (f). If this is not established, the amount
of compensation is 12 times the monthly rent that the tenant was required to pay
before the tenancy ended.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/housing-and-tenancy/residential-tenancies/policy-guidelines/gl50.pdf

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What I am saying is that in the absence of a tenant in that property, this seems like it would be an extraordinarily easy thing for the landlord to show with little recourse for the complainant. But as a disclaimer I'm not an authority on this.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if you have time to post about it you probably have time to file the dispute, might as well, who knows you might win thousands of dollars

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Juul-Whip posted:

if you have time to post about it you probably have time to file the dispute, might as well, who knows you might win thousands of dollars

You don't even need to win. You can hang the threat of tens of thousands of dollars over the landlord's head and negotiate a settlement.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Yeah the process is slow cos it's so backlogged but there has been some changes around rental housing so it's not so impossible for the renter to win. Definately look into compensation

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

It's not like it costs anything so at worst you're losing maybe 10 minutes to file it and probably 20 minutes if you show up to a hearing.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Fidelitious posted:

It's not like it costs anything so at worst you're losing maybe 10 minutes to file it and probably 20 minutes if you show up to a hearing.

It costs $50, which you get back if you win.

There is also the possibility that the landlord lawyers up for the hearing. It's not technically court, but does have technicalities and loopholes which a lawyer can exploit. Usually the amounts of money don't make this worthwhile, but I've heard of it happening when it's a developer trying to kick everyone out of a building.

It's still worth trying, but it's definitely not free, and also still gives somewhat of an advantage to the more moneyed party (ie the landlord).

That said, IIRC the talent deficit is bringing in like $300K/year, so I'd say you should lawyer up yourself and nail the fucker to the wall.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It costs $50, which you get back if you win.

There is also the possibility that the landlord lawyers up for the hearing. It's not technically court, but does have technicalities and loopholes which a lawyer can exploit. Usually the amounts of money don't make this worthwhile, but I've heard of it happening when it's a developer trying to kick everyone out of a building.

It's still worth trying, but it's definitely not free, and also still gives somewhat of an advantage to the more moneyed party (ie the landlord).

That said, IIRC the talent deficit is bringing in like $300K/year, so I'd say you should lawyer up yourself and nail the fucker to the wall.

Ah poo poo really, I don't know why I thought it was free.

They should make it a free service for tenants but charge landlords double to make up for it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They should make it so if a landlord loses their case their building gets expropriated and converted into social housing.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/inv...ity-no-federal/

quote:

Only a big price drop will restore housing affordability. No federal party will acknowledge this
Rob Carrick

The federal Liberals have finally found the hammer in their housing affordability toolbox.

We can debate how directly responsible they are, but the Liberals have presided over what could very well turn out to be the end of mass affordability in home ownership in Canada. On Tuesday, they announced a series of proposals aimed at giving young adults a fighting chance to get into the housing market in the years ahead.

The measures tick a lot of boxes – calming demand from investors and flippers, increasing supply by building affordable housing, addressing real estate sales practices by banning blind bidding, and offering buyers a new First Home Savings Account and a 25 per cent cut in premiums for mortgage default insurance from Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp.

But there’s a problem here and it affects the housing platforms of the Conservatives and NDP as well. Housing prices exploded in the pandemic when interest rates plunged and lockdowns prompted people to seek more living space. Only a major price reversal can restore mass affordability and the federal parties won’t touch policies that would make this happen. Example: Taxing capital gains on housing.

A quick housing market recap: Average resale prices nationally peaked in March at $716,828 and have fallen steadily since then to $661,788 last month. But that July level is still 15.6 per cent ahead of the same month a year ago and almost 33 per cent higher than July, 2019. Projecting the next leg for housing prices means reconciling conflicting expectations: Interest rates will likely rise in the next 12 to 24 months, while a resumption of immigration stokes demand.

The challenge in addressing affordability is to avoid further stimulating demand for homes, thereby keeping prices from skyrocketing. The NDP promise to reintroduce 30-year mortgages for first-time buyers who have a down payment of less than 20 per cent and thus need mortgage default insurance.

A 30-year amortization would help affordability a lot, and right away. But that’s just going to bring in more buyers. A house bought at the national average resale price in July would cost almost $300 a month less with a mortgage amortized over 30 years instead of the usual 25, assuming a 20-per-cent down payment and a 2-per-cent five-year fixed rate mortgage.

Similar economics apply to the Conservative and Liberal promise to increase the $1-million cap on eligibility for mortgage default insurance and index it to house inflation. That would be a big help in cities like Toronto and Vancouver, where average house prices are above $1-million and the current minimum down payment would be at least $200,000.

The Liberals’ First Home Savings Account, an echo of the registered home ownership savings plan of the 1970s, is an example of housing policy that looks to future affordability. It would allow people under 40 years old to invest up to $40,000 for use in a home purchase. Contributions would generate a tax deduction, just like with registered retirement savings plans, and both gains and withdrawals would be non-taxable in the same way as a tax-free savings account.

All three parties promise to build more affordable housing, but it could be years before the next government is able to turn policy into a nationally significant number of freshly built homes waiting for owners and tenants. It’s widely accepted that we need to build up the supply of housing, although a recent BMO Economics report said major city housing completions over the past six months came in at the highest level on record dating back to the mid-seventies.

The Liberals, Conservatives and NDP also promise measures to limit buying by investors, notably those who do not live in Canada. My colleague Rachelle Younglai reported recently that investors account for one-fifth of all home purchases in Canada, which is significant. Pushing investors to the sidelines will definitely help slow price momentum.

The Liberals’ first pass at helping young adults with housing was the First-Time Home Buyer Incentive, introduced in 2019 as a kind of shared equity plan where the government owned a slice of your home that you pay out when you sell. The program almost seemed as if it was designed to let the government say it was doing something about housing, while not being effective enough to encourage mass adoption and, in turn, a surge in first-time home buying.

The Liberals now propose a new option for the FTHBI – instead of shared equity, you’d take out a loan with payments deferred until you sell. The loan would supplement your regular mortgage, thus making it smaller and less costly than it would otherwise be.

What all the housing affordability promises from the federal parties do is offer affirmation that owning a home is something the masses can still aspire to. We’ll have to see whether the economics of home prices co-operate. Don’t count on it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://twitter.com/martinmacmahon/status/1430518538431725568?s=20

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I don’t believe a word that man says, either Trudeau or the piece of poo poo home flipper who is running in my riding. I sincerely hope Trudeau is humiliated with another minority government.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Oh and btw some of the things he is promising are actually under provincial jurisdiction. So yeah the things he actually has control over are basically just other ways of giving people more money to spend on houses.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

MickeyFinn posted:

There's no such thing as a free market, states and the people in power decide winners and losers and always have.

https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/status/1430107281170051073

https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1430126660142223370

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 25, 2021

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
We've turned the corner from liberals not knowing how many times they've worn blackface to liberals not knowing how many homes they've flipped

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Hahaha gently caress the OREA, gently caress TREB, what a loving joke

https://twitter.com/OREAinfo/status/1430245868880416768?s=20

This poo poo almost makes me want to vote for the Libs.

(Obviously won't and never will, not even strategically, because the Libs are the kings of empty promises but still.)

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

What garbage human approved that, haha.

Blind bidding isn't about the absolute end price, it's about knowing that your agent hasn't conned you into offering $20,000 more than necessary so that they can pocket a few hundred more which is my default assumption.
It wouldn't solve much of the problem but realtors need to be regulated to an extreme degree and this helps a little bit.

I think we can agree that if something makes OREA mad it must be a really good idea.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Fidelitious posted:

What garbage human approved that, haha.

who, indeed

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

looooooooooool

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Here's a fun video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kn08azqUSU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/08/30/vancouver-liberal-taleeb-noormohamed-real-estate/

quote:

According to documents obtained by NEWS 1130, Noormohamed has sold at least 41 properties within Metro Vancouver within the last 17 years, holding 30 of them for less than two years. And the tech executive has made a tidy profit along the way, making $4.9 million in the process, a remarkable $3.7 million of which he’s bagged in the last six years.

Someone needs to heckle this dude in person with
"Hey try not to flip any houses on your way through the parking lot!"

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

His riding includes Shaughnessy. Totally unrelatable to his constituents I'm sure.

If you want to go after Noormohammed, the real question is how much capital gains tax has he paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I did some math on Toronto rent vs wages:

Rent increase for a 1br apartment, 2005-2020:
61%
Economic family income increase, same time period:
5%

What's it like for Vancouver?

Decoy Badger fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 30, 2021