Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Last night’s pulled pork was a hit, had people request to take some home and was complimented on it a few times, along with the vinegar slaw. We barely had enough left over for one of us to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

The cheap bags of wood have a lot of tiny pieces while the more expensive ones are nice hearty chunks. But I guess that doesn't really matter too much until you get down to the little chips.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Did a cheeky little 2.5-pound smoked shoulder in a verde sauce and it turned out great. Took it to 165 in the smoker with some hickory and mesquite then dropped it into the foil pan with half a white onion and all the jalapenos and tomatillos I had from my guarden and braised covered in the oven at 350 until it hit 203. I might experiment with cubing it before the smoke next time to increase surface area, but this worked really well as carnitas for some tacos with chopped raw onion.

Overall thrilled with how dividing this 10-pound shoulder for two different cooks worked out. Making my own smaller cut that's doable on a weekday was great.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Costco once again has the full size dino beef ribs. Chatted with the butcher, and he said that he has no idea why they had chosen to stop carrying them, but they received a huge backlash. Leading to their return.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My sons birthday is coming up (twins) in september and I was wondering about making barbecue for food. I am thinking pulled pork, made the day before or overnight perhaps, and ribs as well. How'd you guys go about doing it?

If you make the pulled pork the day before and pull it then, how would you store it and reheat it? Or is it best to make it overnight and pull it hte same morning? I dunno i vacuum packed and reheated some frozen pulled pork and it was almost better than fresh... Not sure if that's just a one off oddity though!

And what should you serve to go with? Bread I guess, most people here have no loving clue about american style bbq and would probably expect potatoes. Well one side of the family, the other would excpect rice and they're vegetarian by large.

I am not even sure BBQ food is the way to go given that... But we're having problems coming up with what to make. We've done spring rolls to death. Traditional sandwich cakes are OK I guess but alot of work to make and not the kids favorites.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Vacuum packer and put it in the fridge. Take it out, stick it in some boiling water for a few minutes.amd pop it open. You could try a gallon zip lock and press all the air out, but there's like a 50/50 chance it leaks when you go to reheat it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I did a 10lb butt about a month ago and it took nearly 12 hours so I would definitely do it the day before if it's large.

For that I let the butt, wrapped in foil on a towel, cool in a cooler overnight (it was done at midnight) and in the morning it was still over 140 internally. But since I wasn't serving for another 12 hours I put it in the fridge and then an hour before dinner I shredded it and put it in a 350 oven for half an hour or so. It was delicious and received much praise.

I've since learned that my oven has a warming setting that does 140 to 200 in 10 degree increments so next time I'm in a similar situation I would probably just hold it in the oven at 140, double wrapped in foil to prevent moisture loss, the whole night and next day until ready to serve.

edit: Traditionally, in the south, pulled pork is served with wonderbread, pickles and sauce.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

His Divine Shadow posted:

My sons birthday is coming up (twins) in september and I was wondering about making barbecue for food. I am thinking pulled pork, made the day before or overnight perhaps, and ribs as well. How'd you guys go about doing it?

If you make the pulled pork the day before and pull it then, how would you store it and reheat it? Or is it best to make it overnight and pull it hte same morning? I dunno i vacuum packed and reheated some frozen pulled pork and it was almost better than fresh... Not sure if that's just a one off oddity though!

And what should you serve to go with? Bread I guess, most people here have no loving clue about american style bbq and would probably expect potatoes. Well one side of the family, the other would excpect rice and they're vegetarian by large.

I am not even sure BBQ food is the way to go given that... But we're having problems coming up with what to make. We've done spring rolls to death. Traditional sandwich cakes are OK I guess but alot of work to make and not the kids favorites.

Buy a vacuum sealer and a sous vide. I make large amounts of pulled pork, seal it in meal sized packs, and freeze. Puddle whenever you want some.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Pulled pork is actually a really good choice! IIRC you're not in the US, but pork is generally cheap here with the exception of Berkshire.

If you make it the day before and pull it later, you can store it in the refrigerator if serving in the next day or two, otherwise freeze it. In my opinion make it the night before in a sous vide if you have one, smoke it 2-3 hours the day of, store it in a cooler wrapped in foil or butcher paper with towels if not ready to serve it so it doesn't get below 140F/60C, pull it when you're just about ready to serve it. If you don't have a sous vide, just calculate how long you need to smoke it and start early enough that it'll be ready when you want to serve it. Memphis style, most people add BBQ sauce after instead of mixing with BBQ sauce. Pulled pork sandwiches go really well with cole slaw and you can do French fries or potatoes prepared a different way (lots of people do potatoes with pulled pork, it is not uncommon or unexpected at all), or just serve the pork with the cole slaw and dinner rolls if you don't wanna do sandwiches. If the other side of the family would expect rice, those that aren't vegetarian might appreciate Hawaiian style pork, they generally use the whole hog I think and you'd be doing a shoulder probably, but still. You can even slice it at the right temp/texture.

For us, whenever I've made pulled pork and frozen it to reheat it later, it's always been just as good as, if not better than it was the day it was smoked--but I still go for fresh BBQ.

ne: added to freeze if not serving within a couple days of making it but can refrigerate otherwise until ready to use

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 27, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I agree potatoes totally aren't weird as a side. Personally my favorite kind is mashed, red with the skins on and still a little lumpy, with herbs and garlic. If they're used to pommes purée, it would be different and American, although not sure whether in a good or bad way. Mashed reheat super well, but if you have time the day of, you could do whatever other kind you want. If you do baked potatoes, you can add pulled pork to them as a topping.

Any fresh vegetable cooked until crisp-tender is another great side. The big one here is corn (maize) on the cob, but if it's not a thing there, fresh green beans or peas in the pod would be great. Just don't overcook them!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Greens are always a good side for almost anything, I have always preferred green beans or asparagus but broccoli is great too or broccolini if you like giant bitter broccoli. Flat type green beans cooked and served with some white onions go great with BBQ, so does corn bread. Some green beans imho are meant to be cooked to softness, but you do you. Then there’s always mac n cheese and any of the infinite combinations of things you can put in it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

instructions unclear Frank-n-Beans burned in Mac-n-Cheese

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
Potato salad is a traditional side for bbq, and you can make it the day before since it's served cold. Pinto beans are great side too, especially if you follow a bbq baked beans recipe.

Coleslaw and rolls or cornbread are musts.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You can go very German with BBQ and potatoes, that's the direction I usually lean. Some sort of wusrt and German potato salad. I just gotta find a sauerkraut recipe I like.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

For pulled pork I consider it a must to have something acidic as part of the meal, whether that’s a NC vinegar sauce for the pork itself (my preference) or a vinegar slaw or what have you.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm thinking of doing a pork butt in sous vide tonight, then putting it in the smoker tomorrow so it can be ready around 12 or 1pm. What temp should I take it to in SV? RIght up to 203, or stop at 145 and fridge it overnight?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm thinking of doing a pork butt in sous vide tonight, then putting it in the smoker tomorrow so it can be ready around 12 or 1pm. What temp should I take it to in SV? RIght up to 203, or stop at 145 and fridge it overnight?

I do mine for 18-24hrs at 165, then smoke it a couple hours. Never gone wrong with that.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wish I'd gotten started earlier. It's only a 4 pounder though, maybe I'll just sous vide and get up early to finish it in the smoker. As long as it's done by 11am.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I’d say if you are going to sous vide only overnight, you might not get the results you want if you don’t do 18-24hrs. Wonder if you might be better off doing a 4lbs shoulder just in the smoker. I’m all for sous vide, I’ve not done pulled pork without it in a while, but the weight matters more for smoking and almost not at all with the sous vide, it matters how thick it is. Otherwise you could put three 4lbs shoulders in the water bath and they’d take the same amount of time. If it’s one 4lbs shoulder and the weight matters in the smoker, it might be better and quicker to just smoke that sucker completely and skip sous vide this time.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's what I'm thinking too, just going to get up around 4 a.m. and get that sucker started.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

For those SV pork shoulder, do you just use the cryovac bag it came in or do you season it and reseal?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I haven't done it before, but I would season and reseal. Allows you the chance to add a splash of liquid smoke to the bag.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I always season an reseal, liquid smoke optional imo. I do think that allowing to cool before the smoke is key. Remove from bag dash more of seasoning, not too thick. Then smoke 2ish hours for bark. Being cool allows the smoke to condense out and provides a better smoke flavor from what I've found. It still won't be like full on smoke butt tho.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

sterster posted:

I always season an reseal, liquid smoke optional imo. I do think that allowing to cool before the smoke is key. Remove from bag dash more of seasoning, not too thick. Then smoke 2ish hours for bark. Being cool allows the smoke to condense out and provides a better smoke flavor from what I've found. It still won't be like full on smoke butt tho.

That always gets me because it should only be able to take a couple hours of smoke anyway, before it just stops taking on smoke and you waste wood.

Also you make a good point about letting it cool off. Mine has only ever gotten as cool as it could get in the time it took me to remove from the bag(s), pat dry, re-season, and put into smoker, which isn’t very long as n the grand scheme. Ima have to do that next time.

I don’t really use liquid smoke, I imagine it could enhance smoke flavor though?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

life is killing me posted:

That always gets me because it should only be able to take a couple hours of smoke anyway, before it just stops taking on smoke and you waste wood.

This has been the common belief for a long time, but according to amazingribs’ Meathead, the BBQ Pope, and their science advisor, is not true. Supposedly the myth started up because around 170f, the smoke RING stops growing due to no longer being able to trap CO or NO. The meat never stops being able to take on more smoke flavor, however.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary/

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

While it doesn’t stop taking on more smoke, it does slow down as the surface warms and dries - if you want to maximize smoke adhesion, a cold wet surface is your best bet.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’ve been asked to smoke a turkey for thanksgiving this year. I’ve never cooked a whole turkey, even in the oven. Any good resources out there for turkey smoking? I’ll prob do a trial run soonish.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Definitely going to want to spatchcock it

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Spatchcock the bird, do a dry brine overnight in the fridge the day before. Put some butter pads between the skin and the meat. Poultry does best hotter and faster than red meat, shoot for 350 degrees or so for a few hours depending how big your bird is. If possible you'll probably wanna crank the heat a bit toward the end to facilitate a more palatable skin. Pro tip: put a pan underneath the bird to catch drippings cuz smoked turkey gravy will seal the deal on being the best Thanksgiving cook in your family

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Bluedeanie posted:

Spatchcock the bird, do a dry brine overnight in the fridge the day before. Put some butter pads between the skin and the meat. Poultry does best hotter and faster than red meat, shoot for 350 degrees or so for a few hours depending how big your bird is. If possible you'll probably wanna crank the heat a bit toward the end to facilitate a more palatable skin. Pro tip: put a pan underneath the bird to catch drippings cuz smoked turkey gravy will seal the deal on being the best Thanksgiving cook in your family

I did almost exactly this. A quick google of “smoking a turkey” will lead to some amazingribs articles on it. Definitely test drive one a few weeks before hand to dial in your brine (either dry or wet) cause most frozen grocery store birds come frozen in a brined solution (packaging will tell you the salt content) so it’s super easy to over season.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Google for Disney smoked turkey leg brine. It may be too much for a whole turkey but them some drat good legs.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I’m of the opinion you can’t overseason a bird such as turkey. So tasteless.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Tbh I have a very small table to feed, so I cook just a breast and get away with a lot less prep and a more even, simpler cook. I miss my dark meat but I really can't justify the waste against the expense when we can't eat all of it even with several days of leftovers. If that is an option for you, I would consider it, makes fantastic cold leftover sandwiches the next day.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I haven't done it before, but I would season and reseal. Allows you the chance to add a splash of liquid smoke to the bag.

I don’t really use liquid smoke, I imagine it could enhance smoke flavor though?
I love liquid smoke as long as it's real (Wright's is good, Colgin isn't). I wouldn't add it if you're actually smoking, but if you're doing the whole thing in SV or crock pot, and then broiling, I definitely would. Imo it gets kind of funky if you add it before a long cook. I add it only at the end when I'm pulling the pork (which also distributes it better).

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Liquid smoke also permeates through SV bags and makes your entire house smell like the inside of a smoker. In my experience, it doesn't add much smoke flavor when "cooked in" sous vide, I'd agree it's not worth it if you're finishing on a smoker. If anything, maybe put 1/4 tsp in the gravy.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I make pulled pork with a picnic shoulder, a bottle of Stewart's root beer, and half a bottle of liquid smoke in a slow cooker. Sacrelidge when it comes to this thread but it's too easy to ignore. Finish with Stubb's Sticky Sweet and it's like candy.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I’ve got the frozen trimmings of three large spare ribs that I cut down St. Louis style. Maybe 3lbs?

Wondering what I should do with them? Chili? If so, should I braise them in a slow cooker first to render the collagen? Thaw and smoke em?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pulled pork is actually a really good choice! IIRC you're not in the US, but pork is generally cheap here with the exception of Berkshire.

If you make it the day before and pull it later, you can store it in the refrigerator if serving in the next day or two, otherwise freeze it. In my opinion make it the night before in a sous vide if you have one, smoke it 2-3 hours the day of, store it in a cooler wrapped in foil or butcher paper with towels if not ready to serve it so it doesn't get below 140F/60C, pull it when you're just about ready to serve it. If you don't have a sous vide, just calculate how long you need to smoke it and start early enough that it'll be ready when you want to serve it. Memphis style, most people add BBQ sauce after instead of mixing with BBQ sauce. Pulled pork sandwiches go really well with cole slaw and you can do French fries or potatoes prepared a different way (lots of people do potatoes with pulled pork, it is not uncommon or unexpected at all), or just serve the pork with the cole slaw and dinner rolls if you don't wanna do sandwiches. If the other side of the family would expect rice, those that aren't vegetarian might appreciate Hawaiian style pork, they generally use the whole hog I think and you'd be doing a shoulder probably, but still. You can even slice it at the right temp/texture.

For us, whenever I've made pulled pork and frozen it to reheat it later, it's always been just as good as, if not better than it was the day it was smoked--but I still go for fresh BBQ.

ne: added to freeze if not serving within a couple days of making it but can refrigerate otherwise until ready to use

Yeah I don't have a sous vide. I have done pork butts before overnight so I was thinking of doing just that and putting it in a cooler until the guests arrive. I bought a 1.7kg pork butt (3.7lbs) which is about as large as I usually make in my 18.5" WSM.

My idea so far is
-Pulled pork
-Beans & bacon (that catch the drippings of the pork)
-Coleslaw
-Potato Salad (prolly just buy this)
-French fries for the kids (though likely everyone will want that, we have a deep fryer)
-Homebaked buns, these ones I've made before and they are excellent https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/golden-pull-apart-butter-buns-recipe

And then some sauces for the pork, vinegar based, vinegar based (HOT), and maybe just some sweet stuff like baby rays?

I also remembered this, I made this once and it ruled, but I think pork is a safer bet, maybe both? I am not sure if the one pork butt is enough. I think this needs way less time so I can probably make it on the grill from the morning...

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
1.7KG is the largest you do on an 18.5 WSM? Gotta get those numbers bigger!! If you’re not smoking enough pulled pork to make you hate the left overs by the end of the week, what are you doing? Also, why are we under another sous vide invasion in the BBQ thread?

In all seriousness, if I’m smoking for a party I always do overnight and then rest in a cooler. It ensures you’ll be done in time. And your menu looks awesome. I’d highly advise doing your vinegar sauce on the grill itself because it’ll smell up your house something awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I tried to do a “clean burn” on my BGE but it didn’t clean it out very well. What are the things I likely screwed up? I’d like to get it done before it gets too cold out, though I maybe don’t want to put fresh gaskets on right before fall. Ah well.