Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

im going to buy an f150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
steal one instead

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I bought an f350 (that's 25 years old)

It's only for camping and hauling dirt bikes and cars. I cannot fathom actually using a one ton pickup as a daily driver.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

:stare:

what the gently caress does gas/insurance cost where you live

e: oh i guess maybe car loan payment/lease also?

When I had the payment on my car it was ~200/mo. Since I was financing I needed full insurance and I was still under 25 so I paid ~$150 a month (this was after extensive shopping around). Then I spent about another ~$120/month in gas. This was my Yaris.

Before I had an Explorer that was paid off but cost like $280/mth in gas and 100/month in insurance. So switching to the Yaris still almost paid for itself.

With the newer vehicle my wife had to get due to a total loss accident and price of used cars going nuts we're looking something like ~700/mth between gas, insurance and financing.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
train riders up in here like

"monoraaiiiillllll! monoRAIIIIIIILLLLLL!!!!! MONORAAAAAAIIILLLLLLL!!!!!!"

just joking with ya,. gently caress cars! hail satan! :yeeclaw:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

rabble rabble posted:

what if the cars were nuclear powered

Fallout taught me they will explode in a little mushroom cloud when you shoot them, and I have no reason to doubt this.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

gently caress kkkars. Doubly so if there's no driver

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

if you're short on cash, a good thing to steal is catalytic converters from american pickup trucks, they're high enough off the ground that you can get under there without a jack and they're worth several hundred bucks a pop to metal scrappers

just buy a sawzall and after you count coup on your first F-250 catalytic converter the sawzall has paid for itself and every converter sold after that is pure profit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

galagazombie posted:

Cars create actual spiritual and moral harm to society and push people towards reactionary political beliefs. The pervasiveness of cars is the sole enabler of Suburbia and Suburbia naturally creates an insular culture of selfishness by making it physically difficult to interact with other humans and form "communities" in the sociological sense. Everyone is literally separated from each other by massive property lots and all social spaces are removed from residential areas. There are no common shared areas and everyone is taught to treat his/her property as a fortress under siege that others must not be allowed to so much as walk through. The Suburbs are quite literally soul destroying. This was in fact a feature and not a bug, as Suburbia was encouraged specifically in order to trick a portion of the lower classes into thinking they were "self-reliant homesteaders" who mistakenly think they share class interests with the 1%.

Not one word was incorrect

Nitevision posted:

engineering a walkable/car-free town center in a car-dominated exurb is politically hard and people will fight it the whole way down

The problem seems once again to be Americans

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
crush car culture

cars loving SUCK boo

get those hunk of industrial slab of carbon spew OUTTA the way

yes i volunteer to live in a society where the bike lane is a thin piece of paint that ONLY separates me from a 3 ton metal cage with the autonomous capability of slamming into me at 40 mph thank you said no loving carcuck and soy parking lot developers ever

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
everyone immediately buy an EUC with your remainder bidenbucks and end the car wars on the road and public spaces for good

can't you see your car habits are making poor joey biden beg OPEC to pump out more oil :cry:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
don't mind me, just gonna turn my bass all the way up, followed by the volume slider, then idle my car outside the apartment spewing plenty of volatile poo poo for everyone to choke on after i wake them up at 5 am!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

everyone immediately buy an EUC with your remainder bidenbucks and end the car wars on the road and public spaces for good

can't you see your car habits are making poor joey biden beg OPEC to pump out more oil :cry:

lol at googling what a euc is

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

hifi posted:

lol at googling what a euc is

thats right, take the roads back from the multinational automotive and oil companies, warriors of the electric knight EUC chapter

if more people ride EUCs than cars, then car users will be intimidated by them because its like, radder than poo poo and it will make the consumer lean towards them more and increasing their marketability AND their viability and from there it goes from a trend to a lifestyle thus removing cars out of the lifestyle category back into mere trend status lmao, now lets go get some of that lithium for it

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

what’s a EUC

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sphyre posted:

what’s a EUC

its pronounced Yuck! and it means Electric Uni-Cycle, its like fancy and now, cos its like 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
for every car you don't drive, im going to drive three

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
just bought a new tacoma, its so mean looking i love it. pedestrians get turned into spätzle

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Lastgirl posted:

its pronounced Yuck! and it means Electric Uni-Cycle, its like fancy and now, cos its like 2021

i'll probably just get an ebike but your input is appreciated

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sphyre posted:

i'll probably just get an ebike but your input is appreciated

i wasn't being serious don't actually get a EUC unless you wanna be human jelly in America lmao

it isn't just from cars, it goes over 40 mph so you can probably enjoy a neck brace if you're lucky for a healthcare bill

there are other types of motorized boards that are safer due to stability at 20 mph which people don't realize how fast it is relative to pedestrian speed, so you basically zoom on a wheeled magic carpet

e-bikes are a safe bet if you're willing to lug it, deployables like electric boards are easier so you don't have to worry about lock up and take it with you. if urban planning has good public spaces, onewheels and scooters would be pretty common as they are in big parks with easy street accesses that isn't piled by traffic from a main road

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sphyre posted:

what’s a EUC

EUroCuck

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0F3JvDDxXc

gently caress cars

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

oh hey, when did you come back

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I often find myself saying "gently caress cars," like just a few days ago I realized my parking brake had seized on my 300 hp sedan (probably because I left it sitting for months at a time during covid) and I had to replace the calipers and rotors on the back wheels. "gently caress these goddamn cars" I said to myself as I fought with rusted bolts and mangled slide pins.

Then I finished the job and drove it around the block and was like "goddamn I love manual transmissions."

That's my story. Also I live on a "bicycle boulevard" and it's sketchy as gently caress to bike on because car drivers here in my very red state are insane. I bike commuted for a decade in the twin cities but where I live now its like JFC these roads are deadly for bikes.

So what I'm saying is both "gently caress cars" as well as "I am the only good driver and thus should be the only person allowed to drive" and also "drat I wish we had a better bike infrastructure."

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
don't gently caress cars i don't want that kind of fandom here

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

don't gently caress cars i don't want that kind of fandom here

take it to QCS

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Filthy Hans posted:

take it to QCS

quick car sex?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

is this the thread where we talk about Miatas

I miss my Miata

yes, this is the miata thread. post a pic of your miata (na i hope)

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Traded my Miata for a Miyata

(Bike joke you squares prolly wouldn't get)

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
Hobby car

Edit: Would love to live somewhere with adequate public transportation, and just keep the driving to a hobby. I've lived in two of these cities, and spent extensive time for work in a third. You straight up can't keep a job without a car some places
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/public-transportation-is-the-worst-in-these-10-cities/

Think Less has issued a correction as of 16:28 on Aug 25, 2021

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

NB2, I don't have any pics of it that don't have my face in them so I'll crop and post when I'm not feeling lazy

It was black cherry mica and it had the optional 6-speed short-throw manual and I miss it dearly, even though NB2s are comparatively porky

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its a moot point now since i work from home :woop: but i remember checking to see if i could even take public transport to work. turns out a bus could drop me off about 1.5 miles from the office... right onto a stroad where the speed limit is 45 and people routinely get up to 60+, and also there are no sidewalks. not really safe to walk, and extremely unsafe to cycle. it would be extremely cool if public transport was better, oh well, whatcha gonna do, better things just arent possible.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

lobster shirt posted:

its a moot point now since i work from home :woop: but i remember checking to see if i could even take public transport to work. turns out a bus could drop me off about 1.5 miles from the office... right onto a stroad where the speed limit is 45 and people routinely get up to 60+, and also there are no sidewalks. not really safe to walk, and extremely unsafe to cycle. it would be extremely cool if public transport was better, oh well, whatcha gonna do, better things just arent possible.

This was my situation, plus the bus route would turn 15 minutes of drive time into nearly 2 hours.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol yeah that too driving would take ~25 minutes, the bus would take more than an hour plus however long it would then take to travel the final 1.5 miles on foot or by bike.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Sphyre posted:

thank you cars, very cool!

where's this one?

here's one from portland. different angles but same area:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
"I don't like cars. They're loud, and aggressive, and irritating, and it goes everywhere."
\

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lastgirl posted:

"I don't like cars. They're loud, and aggressive, and irritating, and it goes everywhere."
\

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Filthy Hans posted:

if you're short on cash, a good thing to steal is catalytic converters from american pickup trucks, they're high enough off the ground that you can get under there without a jack and they're worth several hundred bucks a pop to metal scrappers

just buy a sawzall and after you count coup on your first F-250 catalytic converter the sawzall has paid for itself and every converter sold after that is pure profit

People that steal catalytic converters should be guillotined. If you steal the catalytic converter, THEN torch the car, that's fine, you will be saved from the guillotine, though you may be subject to other consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

last night as i was riding my bike down a two way street with sharrows (lmao) i got passed by a guy going at least 40 in a 25mph zone, who proceeded to run a red light and swerve back and forth into the opposing traffic lane. glad that the strict licensing schemes of new york state have prevented maniacs from driving on public roads and endangering others. in conclusion ban cars and require everyone to use a golf cart if they really need motorized transport.