Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Steakandchips posted:

More companies need to realise this extremely basic stuff.

But that costs money.

Better hire some more consultants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

champagne posting posted:

But that costs money.

Better hire some more consultants.

One is CAPEX, one is OPEX, what is so hard to understand?????????

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

mllaneza posted:

My take on it is that having a team under me means that my efforts are multiplied. let's say I have 5 techs who escalate issues to me. We get 5 tickets, they each get one. Four of the tickets are routine, and one only I know how to deal with. The tech with the troublesome ticket hits me up on chat and I tell them how to handle it. I spend 2 minutes on a ticket and the tech spends the time to go onsite and do the initial diagnosis. I get to keep working on a patching SOP for the GxP systems in Manufacturing and QC, that tech now also knows how to resolve this issue. If I have the spare bandwidth, I throw a quick article up on our wiki and now all 5 can cope if this come up again while I"m on vacation or truly busy.

Junior techs are force multipliers for me, they allow me to spend most of my time on projects that affect dozens or hundreds of systems while still getting the really tricky tickets handled in a timely fashion.

Sorry for the late reply, but I loved your take on this. I had a conversation today with a more junior (but not junior) member of my team who is just starting to get into this kind of arrangement (helping to triage tasks and delegate) and he was concerned that he wasn't doing enough because his output isn't as high. I told him in my own hamfisted way that his contributions are still incredibly useful even if it's not literal lines of code, but this really, really summarised it in a great way! I passed this on to him, I think he'll find it useful for sure.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

They won't. Every IT company I have ever worked for suffers severe libertarian brain poisoning. Or rather, they do recognise this basic stuff, and then work as hard as possible to avoid it.

I was once literally laughed out of a meeting for suggesting the company offer paid internships to students to solve the problem of "not being able to find enough skilled programmers"

This was a telco, so the other engineering departments were definitely doing internships.

And the people laughing were, of course, middle aged middle class white men who had succeeded in their careers through their natural talent and hard work.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Steakandchips posted:

Turns out it's cheaper to pay for bulk health insurance than it is to lose half your staff every time a cough starts going around because your loving employees can't afford the time off to go see the doctor!

But one of those is a reasonable business expense and the other one is rolling them bones baby

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Dongsturm posted:

They won't. Every IT company I have ever worked for suffers severe libertarian brain poisoning. Or rather, they do recognise this basic stuff, and then work as hard as possible to avoid it.

I was once literally laughed out of a meeting for suggesting the company offer paid internships to students to solve the problem of "not being able to find enough skilled programmers"

This was a telco, so the other engineering departments were definitely doing internships.

And the people laughing were, of course, middle aged middle class white men who had succeeded in their careers through their natural talent and hard work.

:yossame:

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Dongsturm posted:

I mean they do though. There are many companies that are treating their employees much better and the only reason I bring this up is because you should never accept this poo poo as just the status quo.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Outrail posted:

You see where you made your mistake, right?

Yeeaah it's not shocking. I did manage to let someone else volunteer to actually do the project (back when it was a nice simple job) so it's not going to be my shitshow so I guess I should be glad for small mercies.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
We had an 'inspirational' working from home email from an executive talking about the $300000 'green' off-grid power he had installed at his country home so he could work from home there reliably.

Around the same time we found out there would be no payrises or bonuses.

I can understand their desire to stick their snouts deep in the trough and take everything, but tone-deafness of it all is hard to grasp.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Baconroll posted:

We had an 'inspirational' working from home email from an executive talking about the $300000 'green' off-grid power he had installed at his country home so he could work from home there reliably.

Around the same time we found out there would be no payrises or bonuses.

I can understand their desire to stick their snouts deep in the trough and take everything, but tone-deafness of it all is hard to grasp.

My girlfriend is in healthcare and when the pandemic started her hospitals CEO sent a pre-recorded message, filmed in his lavish dining room, which the title “we’re in this together”.

Like you, I’m not surprised they’re doing this stuff, just how bad they are at it.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
are bonuses an American thing? sounds like a really tricky cheap way to screw over your workforce by having a "bonus" that you may or may not get but was probably taken from your original salary package.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

One of the places I applied to and then interviewed for was offering a fairly decent bonus for people with my certification. They sent me the job offer today and shock and surprise, in the fine print, there was no bonus.

I think that might be literally fraud. Either way, no loving way am I gonna work there.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lascivious Sloth posted:

are bonuses an American thing? sounds like a really tricky cheap way to screw over your workforce by having a "bonus" that you may or may not get but was probably taken from your original salary package.

Ding ding ding. Back in Australia I was never offered a bonus, I just complained about not making enough money during annual reviews and they either gave me a raise or they didn't.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lascivious Sloth posted:

It can be a neat way to dangle money over people to keep them around, while keeping on the books pay lower. Where I’m at, they started a bonus to retain people after a bunch of people left. It was intended as a short term thing until some consulting company could finish a pay review. What happened is the consultants said to pay more, but leadership liked the bonus as it could be canceled and if someone quit they didn’t have to pay it. But, they now have a riding the tiger situation where the bonus is 100% expected, and the moment it’s not there, people will bail.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lascivious Sloth posted:

What? No, not at all, seems pretty common in most professional environments. You have your fixed salary plus a variable part that can depend on the comoany, team, or individual performance. YMMV obviously but here you get at least a 100% unless you gently caress up massively. Plus stock grants and other stuff designed to improve retention. Then for revenue generating roles you might have direct target bonuses or straight up commission.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

A Festivus Miracle posted:

One of the places I applied to and then interviewed for was offering a fairly decent bonus for people with my certification. They sent me the job offer today and shock and surprise, in the fine print, there was no bonus.

I think that might be literally fraud. Either way, no loving way am I gonna work there.

A friend of mine got a job where they were told that the contract would be available on the first day. Surprise, surprise, the actual salary was lower than what they'd offered. On the upside, it turned out to be only the first warning of how that workplace ran.

Bonuses can be bogus or genuine. Sometimes, like you say, they can be dangled as incentives that you'll never get. In other workplaces, it's almost just a standard part of your renumeration.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Well, no-bonuses is a union thing. Bonuses are a pretty obvious way to get workers fighting each other instead of supporting each other.

The Mises institute's opinion on it is worth reading for the comical amount of mustache twirling https://mises.org/library/why-unions-oppose-pay-incentives

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 25, 2021

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Until my current job, I had never had bonuses as part of any compensation package. I honestly think I'd prefer to have no bonus and higher overall pay. Its just a bullshit way to try and "inspire" the masses to slave away.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Gin_Rummy posted:

Until my current job, I had never had bonuses as part of any compensation package. I honestly think I'd prefer to have no bonus and higher overall pay. Its just a bullshit way to try and "inspire" the masses to slave away.
It's also a bullshit way to make leaving more expensive. My bonus is for the calendar year but isn't paid out till May - if you quit before the bonus, you don't get it. If you quit after the bonus, you worked for half a year but won't get next year's bonus for it.

I get paid pretty good so I cant complain, but it is some bullshit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
And a means to tie your benefits to the company profits, profits that might be slim because they've disappeared into the other company that actually owns all the assets and took a huge slice of the business income in loan repayments and dividends.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

nonathlon posted:

A friend of mine got a job where they were told that the contract would be available on the first day. Surprise, surprise, the actual salary was lower than what they'd offered. On the upside, it turned out to be only the first warning of how that workplace ran.

This is truly despicable. Huge red flag.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If thats not illegal, it should be. Thats essentially a guilt trip bait and switch because people that need jobs aren't going to be the ones to fight this because they need money.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

My current job actually has a good bonus structure that they've kept good on for the whole of their history, but that stuff is a rarity. Also, anyplace that tries to group "bonuses" into your base rate is just lowballing you.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
My bonuses are essentially a second order vested benefit schedule. Because bonuses aren't calculated and distributed (at least to us lower level folks) until a project is 100% finished and filed away, and since I'm near the front of the food chain, my check could come up to 2 years after the last time I ever even thought about the project. lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RDM posted:

It's also a bullshit way to make leaving more expensive. My bonus is for the calendar year but isn't paid out till May - if you quit before the bonus, you don't get it. If you quit after the bonus, you worked for half a year but won't get next year's bonus for it.

That's just a lovely rule/employer, the annual bonuses are in May as well but they're part of the ATC so if you quit earlier they're prorated appropriately and paid out with the las paycheck

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Bonuses are loving dope. My comp package gives me a bonus 45% of my overall salary if our targets are hit. More if we exceed our targets. I've never not gotten a bonus. Then again I work in the financial sector and we basically print money.

YMMV.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Buddy’s company had no funds for raises or bonuses. Boss’s 3rd wife was using his email and accidentally CCed the company when trying to offer his mistress six figures to go away.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The only time I got a bonus it was equal to my merit raise that year. 3.5% :geno:

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

RDM posted:

Hilariously, a dude I know who left the company last year got a bonus check six months or so after he left lol

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I get 10% of my salary as a bonus at the end of February. Company performance determines what percentage of the bonus everyone is getting. For example, 2016 was a really good year for the company, so we actually got 168% of our bonus in 2017, which translated to 16.8% for me. Every other year it's been 100%, except for last year, which was 95%. There's also an individual assessment where your boss can try to get you a smidgen more (or less, if you truly blow rear end). It's not awful, but like pretty much anyone else, I'd rather just have my salary be 10% more than it really is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Somfin posted:

Turns out it's cheaper to pay for bulk health insurance than it is to lose half your staff every time a cough starts going around because your loving employees can't afford the time off to go see the doctor!

But one of those is a reasonable business expense and the other one is rolling them bones baby

I posted about it before but I worked for a modular home company that didn’t give sick time and lost more hours in a week than they would have in a year when there was a norovirus outbreak because someone came in sick.

As far as bonuses go, it’s interesting to see how Amazon structured theirs (and the stock) because it’s all built around their average 18 month tenure for management and support teams.

Big ol’ sign on up front with a year-long clawback to keep you there for at least a year.
There’s a year 2 bonus that’s smaller (but not by much)… this one’s paid our monthly, though, so when you bail they don’t have to pay back anything.

Stocks, you vest 5 percent on year one and 10 percent at 18 months. This is likely not going to add up to one whole share, since your allotment is usually “25k divided by the stock price”. At two years you’ll probably get a share but most people don’t make it that far, and they certainly don’t last past there where it really starts racking up.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yeah, we get bonuses which are linked to targets; if you hit your targets per quarter, you get a percentage of your salary on top, and it’s great.

And if you miss a quarter, but make the year, you get that quarter paid as if you had made it.

They are also prorated so if you leave mid quarter, you still get a percentage of your bonus.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Look at these people who get yearly “bonuses” and “raises.” Never seen one, I don’t think they exist.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I got a $50 gift card one time from my company

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Somfin posted:

New Zealand Health insurance isn't even that expensive as all the serious stuff (cancer treatment, major surgery) is covered by the healthcare system. In most cases the big advantage is you don't wait for 6 months to a year for minor surgeries (hernia operations) and your GP visits are paid (savings between $30 to $60 a visit). Its still a good thing for a company to offer (especially if dental is included) as its nice to have that additional backstop.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Steakandchips posted:

This is truly despicable. Huge red flag.

Moustache-twirlingly. As said, it was the first in a series of red flags:

* Keep the contract back until starting day, when a lower salary was revealed (and my friend has moved city for the job)
* Insisted everyone was at their desk by 9 o'clock (most people caught the train and it arrived at the local station at 5 minutes after the hour)
* And everyone will finish at 5. No working back or flexible hours
* That work we said you were going to do? Well, we've had some different ideas
* And it won't be a team, just you
* And you'll take your lunch at 12:30 and eat lunch with your colleagues, sitting at this table ...

Complete power trip. The thing that broke my friends will and lead him to quit without a job to go to, was that the train was out for a day due to maintainance on the lines. So the boss made an official announcement that rather than work from home, everyone had to take a day of vacation.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
My boss held a "manpurse has worked here 10 years" event for our team and didn't invite me.
Then phoned me, asking where I was. I was on vacation that week.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/07/work-from-home-benefits/619597/

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Gin_Rummy posted:

Hilariously, a dude I know who left the company last year got a bonus check six months or so after he left lol
I know several people who have had bonuses or final/partial paychecks that got jammed up somewhere along the way and ended up in the various forms of unclaimed property departments.
Always check with whatever your local government's unclaimed property office is for $ that belongs to you and people you like. e.g. for Texas it's https://claimittexas.org/

It's a nice experience to call up a friend or relative and say "Hey Aunt P, did you know you have $1,600 in municipal bond interest payments gathering dust?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

My aunt was an exec for a long time and mentioned that her former company (big trucking/transpo Corp) is forcing every office worker back in ASAP cause they discovered like half of their middle management had been working 2 jobs for years.

Like the exact same job, as in pre-covid, they were district managers at two different companies and pulling in 2 six-figure salaries. For years.