Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I just recently reread all the five books and all the released preview chapters for Winds of Winter and really, I feel like having Dany at all was the mistake all along. None of her poo poo in Essos really works as well as the Westeros stuff, because there are no opposite viewpoints like we did with Starks/Lannisters to create the morally grey conflict with likeable characters on all sides. It's just Dany against gross slavers and weirdoes without much of the grounding "realistic" medieval fantasy. edit: I guess other people just said the same thing here.

What's funny is that Dany's plotline in the books actually seems to get interesting Winds of Winter - not sure why I'm spoiling this - Barristan is leading a charge against a fractured Yunkai army, which includes the Second Sons and Tyrion. Victarion is landing troops nearby. A couple of dragons are loose and frying people. We have some tension, can understand the motivations of each side, there are possibilities for new interesting character interactions, etc.

The joke is that Dany isn't there for when her plot gets interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There was probably a good time for her to head to Westeros when she got a huge army of unsullied, but then she says for 3-4 more seasons.

I wonder how people who had no idea she just sticks around and doesn’t leave took that development.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
All that has potential. I think GRRM went one step too far with fake Aegon and all that. Just too much poo poo going on in the past. It requires such a close reading to get even Jon Snow's parentage, but check it King Aerys' former hand who got exiled and then later his family got un-lorded has been secretly raising a fake heir and he might be a sympathizer to the Blackfyres. Who are the Blackfyres? Well this is covered in two paragraphs 4 books ago, but 50 years before King Aerys.....

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Carwash oval office posted:

To me that is the huge issue that GRRM has written himself into a corner with. You have all these groups that are going to kill each other, an unstoppable zombie force and a nuclear winter on the way. It always seemed to be heading towards a conclusion of “over the next 5 years, all the winners slowly starve to death because no one has any supplies”. That is an ending, don’t think people would like it though.

Well, obviously you deal with the zombie force and they end up not being unstoppable hence good ending. I think the best resolution is to have a Shakespeare like ending where everybody backstabs everybody else and they manage to just barely defeat the Others while most of them fall, and the few who live end up dying to squabbles of power. But then you get a cathartic end where everybody involved in all this poo poo is DEAD and the children inherit the Earth Westeros and are like "okay that was poo poo lets be a little better"

Bran survives because nobody considers him a threat anymore, and then he becomes the new Maester and teaches the children about how hosed up everything used to be and why having a supreme monarch is a bad idea. "Stories" end up mattering, but not because its what people 'care about' or whatever Dinklage said, but because legends can outlive people.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Some of that's on the Gurrminator to be fair. But like, why have any of season 2 Dany given what ended up happening? None of it matters. Her dothraki get killed off, all the Qarth prophecy and magic bullshit doesn't matter, Barristan comes and does nothing, she gets new dothraki later anyway, why? Ducksauce got owned and the spice king was kinda funny. Otherwise, would have preferred more Tyrion and Varys snarking at each other.

Not sure that's even unpopular, especially in the show where Winter Isn't In Fact Coming and the whole zombie army, years-long winter right after Dany and Jaime just destroyed all the food, none of that poo poo matters at all

While I completely agree with you, one of my big takeaways at the end was "who has a better story than the character we dropped for a whole season because he was boring as poo poo?"

Dany's story consisted of spinning wheels in the mud with periodic moments of traction, but if she's going to be a central protagonist she needs to matter and actually DO something. For as big as Westeros was, it had a relatively small scope of characters and interactions/machinations, and by the time she got involved with the rest of the cast the show was on its downward trajectory. She was always the coming storm, but so were the white walkers and we didn't spend significant chunks of episodes watching them shamble around the frozen wastes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

PostNouveau posted:

All that has potential. I think GRRM went one step too far with fake Aegon and all that. Just too much poo poo going on in the past. It requires such a close reading to get even Jon Snow's parentage, but check it King Aerys' former hand who got exiled and then later his family got un-lorded has been secretly raising a fake heir and he might be a sympathizer to the Blackfyres. Who are the Blackfyres? Well this is covered in two paragraphs 4 books ago, but 50 years before King Aerys.....

I mean stuff like that is what made the books fun to read in the first place

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

PostNouveau posted:

This is before you even get into the Northron Alliance stuff where Aerys by hook or by crook figured out that every single lord of significance up to and including his son was about to toss him rear end over tin cup but managed to forestall it by mostly luck and the accidental competence of some sycophants and/or his Kingsguard.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 25, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
GRRM decided to diverge from the plot and write a thinly veiled metaphor for the Iraq War in his epic fantasy book series and it cost him a decade of his life.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I totally forgot about Victarion and him landing in Essos right as the 'books' ended. It makes me feel sad that everything Dorne and Iron Island related absolutely did not matter and will be weird whenever we get our Brandon Sanderson minted version of Winds of Winter to read 2/3 of the chapters focusing on characters and factions we know will play no, or some very tiny, role in the overarching story.

Just release the book GRRM. please.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

I totally forgot about Victarion and him landing in Essos right as the 'books' ended. It makes me feel sad that everything Dorne and Iron Island related absolutely did not matter and will be weird whenever we get our Brandon Sanderson minted version of Winds of Winter to read 2/3 of the chapters focusing on characters and factions we know will play no, or some very tiny, role in the overarching story.

I would say we don't know that at all given how much they wanted to condense everything past ASOS.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Most of the dumb poo poo makes some sense, could even be cool if you imagine the GRRM bullet-point list only and not how it actually went down
Forgive me if I've said this recently, but I maintain that if you explained the last two seasons to somebody who'd only seen everything up to that point, they'd think everything sounded incredible.

I've yet to find a better metaphor than an unfunny person butchering a really funny joke.

Feebus Reloaded
Jul 28, 2016

THIS WAS AJUDGED TO BOTH COMMIT TO AND VIOLATE A SACRED POSTIN OATH

Carwash oval office posted:

I was thinking how could the Night King killing be written, if it played out the same way. Couldn’t do an Arya POV or that would be her hiding for hours. Anyone else would just have Arya pop out of thin air and it would be completely random. I think it would work even worse on paper than on film

Bran wargs into a bird and allows his body to be killed by Arya, who steals its face. Arya, disguised as Bran, sits by the weirwood tree, with Bran in bird form hanging around near her so that Bran's soul (or whatever) attracts the Night King. Right when the Night King is about to deliver the killing blow, Arya peels off her mask and stabs him in the nuts.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They coulda just made some arrows out of the special steel and shot him with them

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The lone wolf dies but the pack survives

That's a great example of a thing that could've been great if you described it in bullet points. Each surviving Stark kid, including Theon who completes his redemption arc by dying a proud Stark, kills the bad guy buy working together. But no Jon and Sansa aren't there, Arya does the deed, and neither her or Bran use their cool powers in any way.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's a great example of a thing that could've been great if you described it in bullet points. Each surviving Stark kid, including Theon who completes his redemption arc by dying a proud Stark, kills the bad guy buy working together. But no Jon and Sansa aren't there, Arya does the deed, and neither her or Bran use their cool powers in any way.

Not to mention that by the end they've grown apart and Jon and Sansa loving hate each other.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Winds will only have one POV character and it will be the Night King!

Boosh! The whole series and every character has been Stark’d!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Stark raving lunatics

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The point of this quote is that Ned is a hypocrite who cast out his sister's daughter for fear of the consequences that would come from raising her himself.

quote:

When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Summer is the time for squabbles. In winter, we must protect one another, keep each other warm, share our strengths.

Directly contrast this quote to Dany's dragon dream in AGOT Daenerys IX:

quote:

The red door was so far ahead of her, and she could feel the icy breath behind, sweeping up on her. If it caught her she would die a death that was more than death, howling forever alone in the darkness. She began to run.

Skip ahead a little bit...

quote:

The door loomed before her, the red door, so close, so close, the hall was a blur around her, the cold receding behind. And now the stone was gone and she flew across the Dothraki sea, high and higher, the green rippling beneath, and all that lived and breathed fled in terror from the shadow of her wings. She could smell home, she could see it, there, just beyond that door, green fields and great stone houses and arms to keep her warm, there. She threw open the door.

1. "the white winds blow" ... "the icy breath behind."
2. "the lone wolf dies" ... "die a death that was more than death, howling forever alone in the darkness."
3. "keep each other warm" ... "arms to keep her warm"

And contrast this quote from Arya X in ACOK...

quote:

For a long moment there was no sound but the wind and the water and the creak of leaf and limb. And then, far far off, beyond the godswood and the haunted towers and the immense stone walls of Harrenhal, from somewhere out in the world, came the long lonely howl of a wolf. Gooseprickles rose on Arya's skin, and for an instant she felt dizzy. Then, so faintly, it seemed as if she heard her father's voice. "When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives," he said.

With this quote from Daenerys X in ADWD...

quote:

Off in the distance, a wolf howled. The sound made her feel sad and lonely, but no less hungry.

The point being, Ned failed to live up to his own ideals, his own preaching... and his secrets are going to have severe consequences. But in the end his family might embody his ideals better than even he could.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

bobjr posted:

There was probably a good time for her to head to Westeros when she got a huge army of unsullied, but then she says for 3-4 more seasons.

I wonder how people who had no idea she just sticks around and doesn’t leave took that development.

This (and several other recent comments) to me speaks to a fundamental area that GRRM *really* screwed up in, starting around the latter part of book 3 when a number of important plot threads begin to get wrapped up, and continuing onward from there. Thing is, there was supposed to be this really critical, significant, and important 5-year time skip that took place approximately at the end of ASOS, and the arcs of pretty much ALL the significant characters up to that point are ALL reaching natural resting points where the interesting plot action was supposed to come to a screeching halt.

You can run down essentially ALL of the main POV characters from the first three books within this context. Dany was supposed to stay in Meereen for 5 years as ruler, doing essentially nothing while her dragons (and base of power) both got significantly bigger and more imposing and grew up from a girl into a woman herself. Jon was supposed to be doing more or less the same thing as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch for 5 years - that is, doing little but consolidating power and growing to adulthood. Bran was supposed to have just reached Bloodraven in time to spend the next 5 years learning to be a badass Tree Wizard. Arya was also meant to be undergoing transformative training of her own in Braavos that frankly would have been cooler had it remained a mystery, and we just see Arya's return to Westeros transformed by her training. Sansa was tucked away safely in The Vale doing boring political machinations with Littlefinger. Catelyn and Robb's story had come to a natural conclusion, and coming back to her as Lady Stoneheart 5 years later probably would have been more meaningful. Everything with Tyrion since he left King's Landing has felt forced and contrived, which makes sense if you figure that his next appearance probably would have been immediately alongside Dany - which would've been much more interesting, and worked out far better.

That's not even taking into account other things he was very obviously setting up for the 5-year time skip - like Edric Storm, the Dayne bastard who was a little older than Arya (and Jon Snow's milk brother) and clearly meant to play some role - most likely wielding the sword Dawn - 5 years into the future. But because that didn't happen, little Edric gets dropped and instead this random edgelord named Darkstar who is "of the night" shows up out of nowhere and it feels really forced and stupid.

I dunno, I do remember there were reasons why he felt he had to abandon the time-skip, but I mean... from where I'm sitting, it sure looks like that was the single biggest way he wrote himself into a corner. Every last character is currently stuck in a place where they were obviously never intended to be.

It's like when you're playing massive open-world video game, and about two thirds of the way through the game when the map opens up completely, you get sidetracked doing all these optional sidequests and excessively challenging optional dungeons, ignoring the main quest completely for a while. But in the process you get bored with the game and lose interest, and never actually end up finishing. I feel like that's essentially what happened to GRRM.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

kaworu posted:

This (and several other recent comments) to me speaks to a fundamental area that GRRM *really* screwed up in, starting around the latter part of book 3 when a number of important plot threads begin to get wrapped up, and continuing onward from there. Thing is, there was supposed to be this really critical, significant, and important 5-year time skip that took place approximately at the end of ASOS, and the arcs of pretty much ALL the significant characters up to that point are ALL reaching natural resting points where the interesting plot action was supposed to come to a screeching halt.

You can run down essentially ALL of the main POV characters from the first three books within this context. Dany was supposed to stay in Meereen for 5 years as ruler, doing essentially nothing while her dragons (and base of power) both got significantly bigger and more imposing and grew up from a girl into a woman herself. Jon was supposed to be doing more or less the same thing as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch for 5 years - that is, doing little but consolidating power and growing to adulthood. Bran was supposed to have just reached Bloodraven in time to spend the next 5 years learning to be a badass Tree Wizard. Arya was also meant to be undergoing transformative training of her own in Braavos that frankly would have been cooler had it remained a mystery, and we just see Arya's return to Westeros transformed by her training. Sansa was tucked away safely in The Vale doing boring political machinations with Littlefinger. Catelyn and Robb's story had come to a natural conclusion, and coming back to her as Lady Stoneheart 5 years later probably would have been more meaningful. Everything with Tyrion since he left King's Landing has felt forced and contrived, which makes sense if you figure that his next appearance probably would have been immediately alongside Dany - which would've been much more interesting, and worked out far better.

That's not even taking into account other things he was very obviously setting up for the 5-year time skip - like Edric Storm, the Dayne bastard who was a little older than Arya (and Jon Snow's milk brother) and clearly meant to play some role - most likely wielding the sword Dawn - 5 years into the future. But because that didn't happen, little Edric gets dropped and instead this random edgelord named Darkstar who is "of the night" shows up out of nowhere and it feels really forced and stupid.

I dunno, I do remember there were reasons why he felt he had to abandon the time-skip, but I mean... from where I'm sitting, it sure looks like that was the single biggest way he wrote himself into a corner. Every last character is currently stuck in a place where they were obviously never intended to be.

It's like when you're playing massive open-world video game, and about two thirds of the way through the game when the map opens up completely, you get sidetracked doing all these optional sidequests and excessively challenging optional dungeons, ignoring the main quest completely for a while. But in the process you get bored with the game and lose interest, and never actually end up finishing. I feel like that's essentially what happened to GRRM.

I've wondered if it would have been the worst thing to have released a series of smaller books that have one or two main POVs and a few smaller characters. As well as he's pulled off what he's actually released, it is absolutely insane that he has around twenty POV characters at this point (I'm not really even counting one-offs like Areo or Varamyr).

I try to think about being his editor and it gives me chills. Unless he comes out and says "yeah I have a system with my stupid loving ancient Wordpro where I can easily and quickly send my work to my editor for feedback and advice" then I'm going to assume that he's been ghosting on her for years.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

GRRM won’t ever release short books focused on individual POVs because he cannot resist rewriting entire plot lines when he reaches some problem and he can’t do that for published stuff.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

GRRM won’t ever release short books focused on individual POVs because he cannot resist rewriting entire plot lines when he reaches some problem and he can’t do that for published stuff.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fire and Blood parts 2 3 and 4 will technically be books.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I want Sky Shadowing and kaworu to remake the world of iaf fanfic history instead of those two nazis.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

bobjr posted:

I do like how a large part of the final seasons was characters trying to convince Cersei to help them at no benefit to herself, at least in her mind, only for her to not do it.

and you know what? she was completely right. clearly sending troops to stop the white walkers would only hurt her cause

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tbh I would've preferred Cersei successfully loving the idiot protagonists over and reigning forever

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tbh I would've preferred Cersei successfully loving the idiot protagonists over and reigning forever

In my head somewhere there’s a version of Season 8 where Jon and Dany lose the Battle of Winterfell and have to flee south to King’s Landing and find themselves trapped between the rampaging Night King and an insufferably smug yet also completely unprepared for a real war Cersei.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

bobjr posted:

I do like how a large part of the final seasons was characters trying to convince Cersei to help them at no benefit to herself, at least in her mind, only for her to not do it.

I think Cersei is one of the few characters who doesn't get ruined towards the end. She acts like herself all the way through, and any stupidity on her part that I'm forgetting is totally explained by the fact Cersei is actually not as smart as she thinks she is, even if it is actually the writing just becoming lazy and bad.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It’s not like they do a great job of trying to convince her, and while some characters might not know her as a person there’s a good half dozen who outright know there was no way she was going to help, especially if the end would be her losing the throne.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

roomtone posted:

I think Cersei is one of the few characters who doesn't get ruined towards the end. She acts like herself all the way through, and any stupidity on her part that I'm forgetting is totally explained by the fact Cersei is actually not as smart as she thinks she is, even if it is actually the writing just becoming lazy and bad.

She spends like 3 seasons in the same room drinking wine. They didn't have anything to ruin her character with.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

roomtone posted:

She's sort of ruined by the fact that blowing up the sept didn't have a realistic fallout.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I thought about that but that's an example of how everything else gets worse and not her because she's still acting in character, which was my point. she would probably assume she could just get away with doing that, but if the show was still paying attention, she wouldn't have.

most people will probably disagree but in my memory it's only after the sept blowup that the show really declines. s5 was kind of lovely but that was mostly due to boring storylines. s6 was a lot more entertaining. it's immediately obvious that something is off in s7. the moment bronn appears out of nowhere to pull jamie into the river to safety just as the dragon is about to incinerate him is the flashpoint where the show is now officially bad and it continues like that until the end.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 27, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I rewatched the Blackwater battle scenes recently, and Cersei reminded me of how much the series felt changed by the end. In the first siege, she's in Maegor's Holdfast holed up with a ton of noble randos, in the second, she's just standing alone in a tower with Qyburn. I suppose it sort of fits Cersei's character at that point, but it makes the world feel so much smaller.

And it doesn't even suit Cersei at that point that much. Yeah, she's both broken and overconfident, but she's wearing chainmail to meetings at that point. She still doesn't feel like she'd risk herself and her expectant kid to dragonfire.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

roomtone posted:

most people will probably disagree but in my memory it's only after the sept blowup that the show really declines. s5 was kind of lovely but that was mostly due to boring storylines. s6 was a lot more entertaining. it's immediately obvious that something is off in s7. the moment bronn appears out of nowhere to pull jamie into the river to safety just as the dragon is about to incinerate him is the flashpoint where the show is now officially bad and it continues like that until the end.

The dip in quality between 4 and 5 was like falling off a cliff and 6 was still pretty poo poo but had some good moments like the sept explosion where you think oh maybe it'll go back to the good politics and consequences poo poo and they just totally gently caress it up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The dip in quality between 4 and 5 was like falling off a cliff and 6 was still pretty poo poo but had some good moments like the sept explosion where you think oh maybe it'll go back to the good politics and consequences poo poo and they just totally gently caress it up.

I'd argue that the rot was already starting to set in in season 4, but the highs were high enough that it wasn't as noticeable.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

She's sort of ruined by the fact that blowing up the sept didn't have a realistic fallout.

Yeah, they just sort of hand Cersei wins because they know she has to be the final enemy for Jon/Daenerys/Tyrion to defeat, but the writers just don't care by that point and they have to wrap things up. They could have had a cornered and isolated Cersei nobody respects (outside of weird lunatics like Euron), but able to rebuild her power as Dany's forces are directed at, and ultimately chewed up by, the Zombie Crisis. Instead they just... have her defeat Highgarden and Dorne because the plot needs to move forward and they don't have enough episodes to really show what made Highgarden weak instead of a really dumb offhand line. And they certainly can't cover what the ramifications of blowing up the Sept and being forced to rely on honorless men (a good chance to show why honor actually mattered in the Medieval world) had for her. So she just swirls a wine glass menacingly to remind us she's still in the show and will be relevant later, because doing things would take up too much time for D&D.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Pretty sure she spent the last few seasons drinking wine because she dated the actor who played Bronn but then they fell out and put it in their contracts that they couldn’t have any scenes together...

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Precambrian posted:

So she just swirls a wine glass menacingly to remind us she's still in the show and will be relevant later, because doing things would take up too much time for D&D.

That part isn't just her. In the phase of the show where everyone's off doing their own thing, it felt like half the scenes were just pointing the camera at various people to say "hey these people still exist"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Season 4 has a great early start where Joffrey gets offed at his wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
4 is great (thank u pedro pascal) but it's where the cracks start, then 5 happens.

Precambrian posted:

Yeah, they just sort of hand Cersei wins because they know she has to be the final enemy for Jon/Daenerys/Tyrion to defeat, but the writers just don't care by that point and they have to wrap things up. They could have had a cornered and isolated Cersei nobody respects (outside of weird lunatics like Euron), but able to rebuild her power as Dany's forces are directed at, and ultimately chewed up by, the Zombie Crisis. Instead they just... have her defeat Highgarden and Dorne because the plot needs to move forward and they don't have enough episodes to really show what made Highgarden weak instead of a really dumb offhand line. And they certainly can't cover what the ramifications of blowing up the Sept and being forced to rely on honorless men (a good chance to show why honor actually mattered in the Medieval world) had for her. So she just swirls a wine glass menacingly to remind us she's still in the show and will be relevant later, because doing things would take up too much time for D&D.

They could have done so little as have the loot train be a result of Euron leading a raid up the Mander, have Dany burn it, hell have there be a Tyrell vs Lannister/Greyjoy battle happening when she shows up to take advantage. Same exact story except Tyrell collapsing makes sense. Plus more fodder for the Dany-Sansa feud.

They really did Sansa a disservice after loot train too. They play her up as having learned from Cersei, Littlefinger, Margaery, etc and being the best schemer of all. They write in a scene where she specifically calls out that they need food for winter. But no, it's fine, Dany burned all the food but winter wasn't coming so whatever. An idealistic, angry Dany vs a cunning, calculating Sansa working on the same side could've been really cool.

Oh here's a rewrite idea: Dany actually does accept the surrender and love the smallfolk like she's been portrayed for 8 seasons. Then they riot S2 style because there's no food, and that sets her off. She wants adoration, not the actual responsibilities of being monarch.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 27, 2021