Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the worst demo to chose a host from, asides from white men, are upper-class white women.

case in point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

So it originally seemed like they were doing the guest hosts as a ratings stunt which was stupid but then they came out and said it was tryouts which was also stupid but then it looked like the guy overseeing the process chose himself after lying about filling in for Jennings and now turns out the execs wanted one of the worst hosts all along and the guest hosting poo poo was a ratings stunt all along and they lied about it being tryouts.

Even if you ignore Richards's and Bialik's beliefs and vile statements this would be dumb as gently caress.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Ok, let me see if I have this straight (probably not):

Alex dies, beavers and eagles mourn in unison. Sony (or CBS) wants Blossom given her credibility in Hollywood and science but they can't say it outright since it'd be a odd choice. To mask the effect, they decide to hold "auditions" via a guest host slot starting with GOAT Ken Jennings. A minor kerfuffle occurs with The Chase giving EP Kramer (who eyes the job himself) to boot Ken and give himself a chance to impress the top brass.

Meanwhile, Levar's agency astroturfs a campaign to have him made the new host given his track record. Sony never takes him seriously but they have hosts to fill so why not?

The shows air, people complain on the internet. Sony focus groups the candidates. Levar tops it but they decide on Blossom as she's #2. Problem, her sitcom is unexpectedly renewed meaning she can't take the full time job. Kramer steps in to do it while she handles the specials. Sony agrees.

poo poo hits the fan with Kramer's reputation and Sony pulls him from hosting but has now instead double downed on making Blossom the host full time despite the situation.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm not sure what the context of that tweet was. It reads to me that Bialik is saying she doesn't agree with thesis that babies that have to be birthed by C-section should never have been conceived. What am I missing?
Having just had a baby, natural birth fanatics really dominate the discourse having a baby. It's legitimately hard to find birthing classes that are not biased towards natural. Lamaze has always just seemed like the thing people do and is synonymous with planning for delivery that I was shocked to realize how anti-epidural they are. The classes we chose were FINE, but was still a natural biased person who had separate epidural lessons that weren't based in shame.

So, yeah her words may not seem too lovely, but they legitimately are part of a bigger trend of pro-natural people who will sort of bait and switch you with "hey, we're not saying you're a monster for getting an epidural and your baby shouldn't live... BUT..." and then try to make you feel lovely about an "unnatural" birth which she does go on to do. Also, the idea that children who are born through interventions are against evolution is purely idiotic. We evolved to learn how to use tools and explore our own bodies. Anything any animal in the universe does is by definition in line with evolution.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 25, 2021

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Inside the Jeopardy! Host-Hunting Meltdown: Sony looked aside as an unknown EP crowned himself Alex Trebek’s replacement.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jeopardy generated a lot of goodwill and interest after Alex died, and they squandered most (or all) of it to pull a 'guest hosts' stunt and elevate Mike Richards' career. What a gently caress up.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Having just had a baby, natural birth fanatics really dominate the discourse having a baby. It's legitimately hard to find birthing classes that are not biased towards natural. Lamaze has always just seemed like the thing people do and is synonymous with planning for delivery that I was shocked to realize how anti-epidural they are. The classes we chose were FINE, but was still a natural biased person who had separate epidural lessons that weren't based in shame.

So, yeah her words may not seem to lovely, but they legitimately are part of a bigger trend of pro-natural people who will sort of bait and switch you with "hey, we're not saying you're a monster for getting an epidural and your baby shouldn't live... BUT..." and then try to make you feel lovely about a natural birth which she does go on to do. Also, the idea that children who are born through interventions are against evolution is purelh idiotic. We evolved to learn how to use tools and explore our own bodies. Anything any animal in the universe does is by definition in line with evolution.

Yah, I didn't read it aloud in my head with the dog-whistle wink-wink tone of "OTHER PEOPLE are saying this bad thing..." so that makes sense. Definitely wasn't disputing the underlying issue of natural vs. unnatural births.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The reason it's being read in the "many people are saying" way is she delayed vaccinating her kids then didn't get them fully vaccinated but claimed they're vaccinated.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Island Nation posted:

Meanwhile, Levar's agency astroturfs a campaign to have him made the new host given his track record.

:psyduck:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

People just love Levar Burton. Gen X and even Boomers remember Roots, millennials remember Reading Rainbow, and nerds of all generations know Star Trek. He doesn't seem to have skeletons, co-workers and fans all speak highly of him, and his demeanor and charity work have placed him up with Mr. Rogers and Bob Ross in the kind and lovable role model department.

I think there was a genuinely organic outpouring of support for him online. Who knows if anyone affiliated with him tried to join in the push too, but I think almost everybody on all sides thought there was some actual consideration taking place and making more noise might help.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Worth remembering that what really forced them to dump Richards was a staff revolt. They might not have that problem with Bialik.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Oddly enough, a hell of a lot cleaner record compared to some of the other names SPE has been tossing around.

https://twitter.com/cowcaster/status/1430281123419013120

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

I'm not convinced his support was organic. Anyone in the public eye could've been thrown in but it almost always came up Levar. I grew up watching Reading Rainbow (Not so much TNG) like a bunch of people but hosting a game show and a children's show isn't 1:1. Besides, Sony would likely have wanted a young host to prevent a repeat issue in the long term. Since Levar had his main gig ending in NCIS:NO, He would want a new job as all actors do and his agency wants steady income, it's almost a perfect fit. Cue the campaign.

Disclaimer: My sister has a role at a marketing company that involves her doing business with Sony (Playstation specifically) so my view may be colored by her stories dealing with them.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You can just look at this thread to see a ton of passionate support for Levar. Easily more so than any other one host. People here are genuinely excited for him. You should know. You’ve been arguing with them about Levar before and after his episodes aired.

Sorry he doesn’t rank highly for you personally, but it’s so weird to be all, “my sister has marketing experience so I think this was astroturfed. He’s only doing this because he’s desperate and hasn’t been relevant in 20 years.”

Just way out there. We get it. You have it in for Levar Burton, of all people.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 25, 2021

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Island Nation posted:

I'm not convinced his support was organic. Anyone in the public eye could've been thrown in but it almost always came up Levar. I grew up watching Reading Rainbow (Not so much TNG) like a bunch of people but hosting a game show and a children's show isn't 1:1. Besides, Sony would likely have wanted a young host to prevent a repeat issue in the long term. Since Levar had his main gig ending in NCIS:NO, He would want a new job as all actors do and his agency wants steady income, it's almost a perfect fit. Cue the campaign.

Disclaimer: My sister has a role at a marketing company that involves her doing business with Sony (Playstation specifically) so my view may be colored by her stories dealing with them.

Mentioned this before, but even before Trebek announced he had cancer, LeVar was one of the top names thrown around to eventually replace him when his contract expired in our contestant Facebook group. And said contestant group is comprised of a lot of people who the media go to when they need a sound bite or tweet for the stories about Jeopardy around this whole shenanigans, as well as immediately after Trebek’s death when the discussion first started being thrown around, making them (as much as I usually hate this term) Key Opinion Leaders.

So no, there was indeed a genuine grassroots campaign to get LeVar the position independent of any astroturf.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mike Richards, though? straight astroturfed horseshit

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Mike Richards, though? straight astroturfed horseshit

Very much so. I couldn’t open a new tab on the browser on my work computer without some fluff entertainment website article about how good Mike Richards “surprisingly” was after his episodes were aired and the parade of guest hosts went on staring me in the face.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
All of this plus watching a documentary about Nickelodeon makes me never want to google Mark Summers; I'm afraid I'd find out he's a piece of poo poo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
He seems to be a good guy. Has had a lot of health scares though which is still a bummer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zesty posted:

He seems to be a good guy. Has had a lot of health scares though which is still a bummer.

He is a self-proclaimed lifelong Republican, but he's not one of the Trump / MTG suicide cult types. He has severe anxiety disorder and OCD, and a deep-seated fear of touching substances, surfaces and people unknown to him.

I have absolutely no earthly idea how he survived hosting Double Dare for so long without having a complete nervous breakdown.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timby posted:

He is a self-proclaimed lifelong Republican, but he's not one of the Trump / MTG suicide cult types. He has severe anxiety disorder and OCD, and a deep-seated fear of touching substances, surfaces and people unknown to him.

I have absolutely no earthly idea how he survived hosting Double Dare for so long without having a complete nervous breakdown.

Hell, after the last 15 months I have a deep seated fear of touching substances, surfaces and people unknown to me too.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BaronVonVaderham posted:

All of this plus watching a documentary about Nickelodeon makes me never want to google Mark Summers; I'm afraid I'd find out he's a piece of poo poo.

Anybody willing to do an episode of workaholics and talk about "the boy scout rule of Ds" with a straight face can't be that bad.

(I say, five minutes before we find out he's a serial killer or something)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

Marc Summers, pre Covid, would yearly do an event called “Dunkel Dare” locally in Philly where he basically did double dare but with local people and with beer.

I went to one, it was pretty fun.

Dude rules so far, is what I’m saying.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duckman2008 posted:

Marc Summers, pre Covid, would yearly do an event called “Dunkel Dare” locally in Philly where he basically did double dare but with local people and with beer.

I went to one, it was pretty fun.

Dude rules so far, is what I’m saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Trrhf_nc0

Agreed. Dude been in the business in one way or another all the way back to the jokers wild.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 25, 2021

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I was seriously expecting the first response to be, "Sorry, here's an article about him basically being an awful human being."

Dude does rule and that's why I would be so disappointed. One of the most natural hosts for kids' shows ever, and I remember enjoying Unwrapped on Food Network years ago.

Can we just have Kirk Fogg take over Jeopardy, though, and instead of FJ the contestant with the highest score does a temple run?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Can we just have Kirk Fogg take over Jeopardy, though, and instead of FJ the contestant with the highest score does a temple run?

God I've probably seen every episode of that show but if you put a gun to my head I never would have been able to tell you who the host was.

I would also accept Mike O'Malley with FJ on top of the Aggro Crag. Moira can do the special episodes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ror posted:

God I've probably seen every episode of that show but if you put a gun to my head I never would have been able to tell you who the host was.

I would also accept Mike O'Malley with FJ on top of the Aggro Crag. Moira can do the special episodes.

Moira Quirk :swoon:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Ror posted:

It's my useless superpower: remembering and recognizing obscure people from ancient tv shows. Any time we watch anything animated my wife braces for my inevitable, "I recognize that voice! That's [insert some actor no one has thought of in 20 years]!"

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I mostly remember him in his post Nickelodeon career doing presentations for Food Network’s Unwrapped, where he gamely made the best of showing how food is made industrially with some enthusiasm.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's my useless superpower: remembering and recognizing obscure people from ancient tv shows. Any time we watch anything animated my wife braces for my inevitable, "I recognize that voice! That's [insert some actor no one has thought of in 20 years]!"

Lord, same. And I still didn't pick up that Moira Quirk was a voice in Skyrim, heh.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Ror posted:

Man, now you got me thinking of old Nick game shows. I watched a ton of both Guts and Legends of the Hidden Temple, but couldn’t tell you who hosted them. I do remember Dee Bradley Baker as the voice of Olmec in the latter though. So much for my vaunted memory for trivia lol.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

GhostStalker posted:

Man, now you got me thinking of old Nick game shows. I watched a ton of both Guts and Legends of the Hidden Temple, but couldn’t tell you who hosted them. I do remember Dee Bradley Baker as the voice of Olmec in the latter though. So much for my vaunted memory for trivia lol.

I'm a little sad that I now know how the Video Zone worked on Nick Arcade. Phil Moore was an amazing host for that one.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

I do remember Dee Bradley Baker as the voice of Olmec in the latter though.

You might like to know he'll be voicing Olmec again in CW's grown-up version of Legends of the Hidden Temple that's debuting later this year.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Looks like other outlets are picking up TMZ’s reporting:

https://twitter.com/chris_notcapn/status/1430636674711793669

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Tear it down and build it back up from the ground

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
They didn't think he was a white fit, I think they mean.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Poque posted:

Lord, same. And I still didn't pick up that Moira Quirk was a voice in Skyrim, heh.

Wasn't she also Elly in Xenogears?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Snorb posted:

Wasn't she also Elly in Xenogears?

holy poo poo :psyboom:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
She was also Dr. Vahlen and Brit Crust. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU