Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

treat posted:

I love the way it looks too but some of the lighting inconsistencies are bugging the hell out of me. The dark hallway trap in e1m6 almost made me rethink whether I should be playing this port.

Yeah, so far, that difference in e1m6 is the difference that has bugged me the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Erryone hype for Quake but I have a Turok 2 question. Do you actually have to complete all of the objectives (eg rescue childrens) to complete a level?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
as i play i appreciate the addition of quick save/load being one press commands accessible straight from the main pause menu

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

man you should not make a trailer for a game where the only enemies visible are tiny lovely little slugs

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Volte posted:

Are the lighting differences due to the engine, or is it just because they rebuilt the maps from source with a different lightmap tool?

Rebuilt maps from source with newer lightmap tools. We are aware of E1M6, it's being addressed.

Mordja posted:

Erryone hype for Quake but I have a Turok 2 question. Do you actually have to complete all of the objectives (eg rescue childrens) to complete a level?

Yes. Though the remaster you can skip objectives via the level warps (once you're out of level 1), but you'll get the bad ending for doing this as you'll end up skipping the totems.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
finished dissolution of eternity right now. i at least remembered the first few maps of scourge, but this one was like if i had never played it at all.

some bad encounters, loved putting you in incredible tight hallways with an enemy, turn a corner, another, turn a corner, another. and it did the dead space poo poo of spawning one enemy in front of you and another behind you a couple times. some traps were complete bullshit you couldnt see coming.

but you can see just how much of an improvement on map aesthetics both xpacs are from base quake, and nothing ever becomes even *half* as bad as E4 on the gameplay part.
the laser gun from scourge i already mentioned that i really like cause it gives a "low tier" (relative to the lightning gun, cause this poo poo has as much dps as the sng it seems) weapon for use with energy packs, making juggling rockets and nails a bit less dependent on the slow rear end shotty, and makes laser soldier backpacks with 5 cells on early stages meaningful, instead of useless as in base quake.
but then in the second expansion i completely forgot the upgraded ammos, and holy poo poo those are fun as gently caress, but incredibly op lol, and where i mentioned the laser gun takes a bit of the load from the other resources, these just completely invalidate that. I have *never* come close to running out of ammo ever. but i had a fuckin blast anyway.
The new floating enemy that has faster vore projectiles can grab my scrote, dip it in ink, press it against a paper and tattoo the scrote fold patterns on its face. Complete garbage, piece of poo poo, rear end fucker, bitch of bad.

e: also who the gently caress asked for a new slime enemy

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I did a DM today with someone who was pretty decent at the game and then managed to reach the kill limit first on a Scourge map because I camped with Mjolnir near one of the teleports and just kept running in and out to get ammo/quad damage when necessary while smashing everyone who crossed my path.

Quake still rules.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Mortyr IV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbuLnmyCrJA

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it’s hilarious that everyone owns Quake on Steam apparently, but just a tiny fraction have played the re-release so far. All the achievements are at “0.1% People have this” right now.

I mentioned earlier in the thread, but Quake's achievement rate reporting is busted on certain parts of Steam right now. For instance, even Secret Sleuth (which involves finding a single secret) was showing up as 0.1%, but if you look at it on the global achievements page, it's actually at 19.1%.

That being said, all but 2 of the 35 achievements are well below 10%, so the point still stands that a ton of people haven't gotten terribly far into the game so far.

renzollama
Jul 16, 2017

Seems cool but it's getting hard to be excited about new retro FPS reveals that have no release information. Either they disappear again for years or they release in early access on steam and then get 'delayed' every six months indefinitely. I'm already starting to miss the days when retro FPS games hadn't become marketable yet so they didn't reveal until they were pretty much done, we're practically back to AAA reveal timetables at this point.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
There was a Mortyr 3? KVLT looks, uh... kinda rough as gently caress but I'm very interested. I'm up for more low-budget Wolfenstein ripoffs.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

renzollama posted:

Seems cool but it's getting hard to be excited about new retro FPS reveals that have no release information
Have another one with no release info, they just want you to WISHLIST NOW ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnr5wWsnJ6w

No idea if this forms a western trilogy with HARD WEST and DARK WEST

catlord posted:

There was a Mortyr 3?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuZD5X30suU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I got to Scourge of Armagon episode 3 finally on and like... does this just suddenly take an EXTREME difficulty spike? Like holy poo poo there's vores and mines everywhere and you have to shotgun start it because it's the beginning of an episode and there's just NO ammo. What the gently caress? I'm really glad I played this on Hard instead of Nightmare because I'd probably be ripping my hair out.

renzollama
Jul 16, 2017

The United States posted:

Have another one with no release info, they just want you to WISHLIST NOW ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnr5wWsnJ6w

No idea if this forms a western trilogy with HARD WEST and DARK WEST

At least that one has a store page so we can assume it's an actual video game someone intends to sell and not just a youtube video

Also it looks fun

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
scourge of armagon done on nightmare.

i guess i blanked out on the fuckin flying mines, one of the worst additions to quake lol. also the two maps that were kinda labyrinthine that i got real lost on my previous playthrough i thankfully didnt take too long to beat.
also, i only jsut now noticed how *much* you get stuck on random brushes here and there, in nightmare it was really noticeable.

also theres bullshit like this

(the laser machine in that room ALSO shoots lightning at you, very cool)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The thought process behind expansions back then wasn't just 'more content' it was also frequently 'more difficult content for people that mastered the original'

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

The thought process behind expansions back then wasn't just 'more content' it was also frequently 'more difficult content for people that mastered the original'

I mean that’s the good way to do an expansion in general, no? Plutonia, Brood War, Throne of Bhaal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arivia posted:

I mean that’s the good way to do an expansion in general, no? Plutonia, Brood War, Throne of Bhaal.

Modern metric analysis says no to my understanding.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Arivia posted:

It made more sense 20-25 years ago when people invested more time into individual titles. I don't think your average person is bothering to master single-player stuff anymore outside of some outliers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Am I crazy or do the fiend type enemies in Quake 2 appear like only in the first half of the game and there are maybe like 10 total of them in the whole game? They can't even get through doors they're so sad.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Barudak posted:

Am I crazy or do the fiend type enemies in Quake 2 appear like only in the first half of the game and there are maybe like 10 total of them in the whole game? They can't even get through doors they're so sad.

Fiend type? What are you talking about? The parasites? The Berserkers? The Mutants? If you mean the last ones, they first appear like half way through the game and yeah, there are barely any of them, and their movement code is terrible. They're a complete non-threat, and have absolutely no role in the enemy line up.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Does the quake remake have Demo compatibility?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Does the quake remake have Demo compatibility?
Should do. The attract mode demos are the old ones, and I've seen people run old Machinimas like the QWTF Intro just fine. Maybe Nightmare speedruns are busted by the changes? I haven't checked.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Rocket Pan posted:

Rebuilt maps from source with newer lightmap tools. We are aware of E1M6, it's being addressed.
I admire the work of Nightdive as much as everybody here, but the problem of lightmaps truly do extend to every legacy map.

For the stated purpose of the remaster, isn't it better to either give us the original lightmaps (personally I'm perfectly fine with that; I think Quake should mostly look the way it did), AND/OR ensure new lightmaps are faithful to the original intents?

And yeah, I also would prefer better controller handling (ResetEra has many posters demand that) and an oldschool Nightmare mode.

Peewi posted:

In Dissolution of Eternity, the alternate ammo weapon reskins use the original models. Quake remaster ruined!
None of the expansion weapons or enemies have new models. Making new models will cost artist hours, which is why I only suggested fixing their rumble.

cuc fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 25, 2021

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

cuc posted:

I admire the work of Nightdive as much as everybody here, but the problem of lightmaps truly do extend to every legacy map.

For the stated purpose of the remaster, isn't it better to either give us the original lightmaps (personally I'm perfectly fine with that; I think Quake should mostly look the way it did), AND/OR ensure new lightmaps are faithful to the original intents?

The intention was always to upres the lighting, we don't really want to take that away just because it isn't identical. Using the original lightmaps presents problems, such as they won't always fit even if the geometry seems to be the same. Not even sure if the engine would go for that anyway.

E2M6 is right out. There is no original light map for that anymore. :V

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Kins posted:

Should do. The attract mode demos are the old ones, and I've seen people run old Machinimas like the QWTF Intro just fine. Maybe Nightmare speedruns are busted by the changes? I haven't checked.

Any idea how to do it? I tried -game qdqst and it didn't fly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Fiend type? What are you talking about? The parasites? The Berserkers? The Mutants? If you mean the last ones, they first appear like half way through the game and yeah, there are barely any of them, and their movement code is terrible. They're a complete non-threat, and have absolutely no role in the enemy line up.

The mutants as it turns out are what Im thinking of, and yes their movement code is horrendous I did not see a single one not get trapped on something as I pelted it with a shotgun

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Any idea how to do it? I tried -game qdqst and it didn't fly.
You might have to run the demo file manually in the console, or if there's a map included for choosing different demos, load that in the console.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Just for fun I ran e1m6.bsp through the original LIGHT.EXE and it fixed the dark hallway trap but the room beyond was fullbright for some reason. I guess the new BSPs (understandably) aren't quite compatible with the old tools.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
E1M6 is fixed for the next update, and the opening to E3M3 has been changed based on feedback. I think the ceiling of END has been fixed too. The point isn't to perfectly replicate the original game in its truest form, the original EXEs and data are available for people that want that. The extra light bouncing will definitely change some areas that weren't lit or lit differently in the original, so if it actually breaks a part of the level that's part of the gameplay like the E1M6 hallway lighting up then that'll get fixed, but it was absolutely a goal that the lighting was not going to be exactly like the original.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Yeah, the new lighting is mostly not a problem, it's just in areas like E1M6 where it's an important part of the gameplay, or in some of the end of level arches where it destroys the level aesthetics that the lighting engine changes become an issue.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The new lighting looks great in general. E1M6 is the only instance of something looking off that I've encountered.

Is there going to be a fix for the music being too quiet? I've got the volume of the sound effects down to 2 just so that I can hear the OST during gameplay. I'm on PC but I've seen others in the thread mention it for the PS4.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The music volume seems fine to me on Switch, but the sound overall is way quieter than anything else on the platform.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/FloFluoro/status/1429962820448407558

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

For Quake Done Quickest, I've extracted the demo files from the .pak they distribute it in.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pSoZd0wMn5LyrLMoHsBiLTOsfLPXw7N8/view?usp=sharing

Place these files into the Id1 folder and use the following console commands to play them. Due to a limitation of how many demos can be queued with startdemo, each episode is its own alias.
code:
alias ep1 "startdemos start1 e1m1 e1m2 e1m3 e1m4 e1m5 e1m6 e1m7; demos"
alias ep2 "startdemos start2 e2m1 e2m2 e2m3 e2m4 e2m5 e2m6; demos"
alias ep3 "startdemos start3 e3m1 e3m2 e3m3 e3m4 e3m5 e3m6; demos"
alias ep4 "startdemos start4 e4m1 e4m2 e4m3 e4m4 e4m5 e4m6 e4m7; demos"
alias end "startdemos start5 end; demos"
Then either bind a key to each alias or type the alias name in console to start it. Copying and pasting works in Kex.

Edit: This is if you want to watch them in the Kex engine. The .pak from QDQ's website works in other source ports.

Edit 2: FYI, they set the FOV to 110 when you load QDQ.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 25, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

holy poo poo

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Now do Groverhaus.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Not exactly a surprise, but if you copy the original Id1 folder into the rerelease folder and rename it something like "oldquake", then you can run "game oldquake" in the console and play the original game, including the original Nightmare rules and enemy AI, with the new models and rendering features.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Here's weird bug I discovered, on E2M2:

If you knock this zombie down with the shotgun, he fails to get back up. He's not dead - kill counter doesn't go up - he just keeps groaning without ever getting up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nostalgamus posted:

Here's weird bug I discovered, on E2M2:

If you knock this zombie down with the shotgun, he fails to get back up. He's not dead - kill counter doesn't go up - he just keeps groaning without ever getting up.

Relatable