Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
and with each caution this becomes more of an amateur event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Pinecone Sample posted:

Not to say there's none of that, but you're assuming that NASCAR writes/enforces rules with any conception of what the implications are of behavior/consequences in a real race.

yeah any joke whose premise is NASCAR reading its own rulebook is self-defeating

lol what a glorious clownshow. More of this

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
can't wait to see what Hamlin has to say about Briscoe lmao

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

That was a restrained response by Denny. I don't think he took a shortcut by choice but how does Briscoe not immediately know he had a penalty. Kid, this ain't Mario Kart

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

That was intentional as gently caress.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Pinecone Sample posted:

That was a restrained response by Denny. I don't think he took a shortcut by choice but how does Briscoe not immediately know he had a penalty. Kid, this ain't Mario Kart

On the other hand, Hamlin is a bitchmade crybaby and got dumped because he deserved it. Whether Brisco ever admits it or not.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Genocide Tendency posted:

On the other hand, Hamlin is a bitchmade crybaby and got dumped because he deserved it. Whether Brisco ever admits it or not.

Please source your quotes

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Hamlin claims the 16 nailed him into turn one and that's what drove Briscoe off

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

GD_American posted:

Great racing? Can't have that poo poo. Let's have a basic component of the track fail
That was super embarrassing for Indy and for race control. That was ridiculous. I don't know how they didn't throw the caution after that first bunch of wrecks after the restart, where Truex got taken out. You could see parts and debris flying around everywhere and it was crystal clear that it was the curbing that did it. It had been coming up all day, you see that happen after the restart and race control says, eh, gently caress it. I'm sure they'll make it. We gotta finish up cause NBC is trying to get to golf. Horrible job by the track crew, horrible job by race control. I'm really surprised the drivers that got taken out by that weren't more critical but maybe from in the car you don't realize all that is going on and later in the week when they know more we'll hear some comments or something.

GD_American posted:

lol the finish of the race we keep getting told is so prestigious, bumped to their cable channel for the beginning of amateur golf. Is there anything that could sum up how far NASCAR has fallen
Yeah I was watching a little behind on DVR and had to catchup on the last few laps and interviews on YouTube because of that horse poo poo. Who knew amateur golf was even televised, never mind so important it trumps the top level of another given sport finishing a first time event. That is a pretty crushing blow to NASCAR.

E: Negatives aside, good for AJ. Took wild rear end circumstances to get there but that is cool seeing a part time team go in there and steal one.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Ultimately you're racing hard, racing for the win, and Briscoe is uniquely inexperienced/dopey to not know what was going on.

But I'm wondering if the penalty was misapplied in the way it unfolded that in letting up and with Denny passing that. He did advance his opinion on re-entry, but he also slowed up and Denny passed him again (not sure if intentional or just regaining speed), so did he advance his position, or compared to whom or when?? It certainly doesn't seem like a penalty was necessary for enforcing a competitive equity here, and I am not sure that the letter of the law justifies it either.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Denny got dumped because Briscoe did it on purpose. He probably thought Denny was responsible for shoving him into the grass. What a wonderful finish.

Also lol at the 15 dumping oil all around the goddamn track and Kyle Bush forcing him off for it.

Edit: lmao it was James Davison, goddamn that guy cannot stop loving up in the top level of every series he competes in, who sponsors this clown? (lmao it's Skip Barber)

Reynold fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 15, 2021

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

The dump was on purpose, but did Briscoe know he was a dead man walking or should he have expected to be a dead man walking? I think he didn't because he is dumb, but I think there is a smart argument that he shouldn't have believed he would be.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Pinecone Sample posted:

The dump was on purpose, but did Briscoe know he was a dead man walking or should he have expected to be a dead man walking? I think he didn't because he is dumb, but I think there is a smart argument that he shouldn't have believed he would be.

I don't think it really matters whether or not he knew he was gonna be penalized or just plain thought Denny would pull off the win if he didn't run his rear end over. The 11 was in the way, and they had already traded paint earlier in the lap, it was always gonna be this way.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Run IRP next year tia.

Also, that's twice NBC has bailed on a marquee race for other programming and that was after they botched a side-by-side and panned over and zoomed onto an empty section of track. gently caress them and Rick "Las Vegas Rams" Allen sideways.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Mike Bagley is as great on TV as he is on the radio, though

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/KellyCrandall/status/1427042507737731074

The President of IMS may be an idiot

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pinecone Sample posted:

Mike Bagley is as great on TV as he is on the radio, though

Bagman is fantastic and the only good thing about the radio style broadcast, because neither Dale nor Jeff Burton know how to be anything but a color analyst.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I saw them making heavy repairs to the curb with 10 laps to go in the race.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

I may have been screaming for briscoe to turn hamlin but I didn't expect him to actually do it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

chamois posted:

I may have been screaming for briscoe to turn hamlin but I didn't expect him to actually do it.

Looking at the lineup for the final restart, between no win Hamlin, never won Briscoe, and part-time ride in Trophy or Steering Wheel mode Dinger, I felt like somebody was going to get desperate and punt somebody.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

that all ruled

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I've been going to IMS for the Brickyard 400 since they started it in 1994. My dad always took me, but I never really got into NASCAR until much later. He hates the road courses, and was pretty unimpressed to learn that they'd be running the IMS road course instead of the oval this year. After today, he hasn't changed his mind, but did admit that it was a pretty good race. I can definitely remember more boring races than good ones on the oval track, and I'm glad they made the switch.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I have to admit that waiting to see who's going to be the first car to blow a right front fifteen laps into each green flag run is definitely not as entertaining as waiting to see who's going to be the first car after each restart to tear their oil pan off jumping over a crumbling sausage curb and wipe out half the field with the resulting oil slick. :v:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

dennyk posted:

I have to admit that waiting to see who's going to be the first car to blow a right front fifteen laps into each green flag run is definitely not as entertaining as waiting to see who's going to be the first car after each restart to tear their oil pan off jumping over a crumbling sausage curb and wipe out half the field with the resulting oil slick. :v:

It was so drat funny when they pulled that poo poo out from under the curb

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/windVOW8820/status/1427024153375293443

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bagman is fantastic and the only good thing about the radio style broadcast, because neither Dale nor Jeff Burton know how to be anything but a color analyst.
I wasn't a fan of the "radio style" broadcast, during this race or the Glen. I feel like it was mostly during the restarts when there was a lot of action going on but it didn't work for me. It seemed like most of the time the guys were in a mindset like, ok I have 30 seconds to talk and then I'm not going to say anything for like 90 seconds. I guess I'll talk that whole 30 seconds except I have nothing to say so I'm going to tell you exactly what you are looking at on the tv screen. Telling me this car or that car wiggled a little getting in or made contact here or missed the corner a little and let somebody inside is important when you're actually listening to it on the radio so you can have some visuals going through your head but I feel like they were doing exactly that during restarts for TV as well. Funny I thought the radio guy was actually a bit better at letting it breath and than Dale or Jeff who seemed a little more deer in the headlights, I'm just going to talk and I don't know what about so I'm just gonna tell you what you're looking at. Don't tell me a car missed a braking point or locked a tire up, I can see that happen. Use your expert analysis and tell me why that happened.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Can’t believe they actually made me miss the brickyard oval

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

I have it on closed caption but who the gently caress said that Austin Dillon DRIFTED UP INTO Brad, that was some dirty poo poo by the #2 all the way

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

I'm told that was Jeff Burton, and Jr. just said nothing about any of it lol

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Probably because Austin drifted up into brad

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

No idea why Brad held him that low past the finish line

This package is so bad. Running wide open and can’t pass

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

The battle for 16th in the points is like the roadrunner and wile e coyote if it was two wile e coyotes

I like Reddick but please god let somebody new win next week so we can stop paying attention to this cavalcade of fails

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Pinecone Sample posted:

I'm told that was Jeff Burton, and Jr. just said nothing about any of it lol

I think it was Jeff that actually said something like, the spot that Brad lost was lost before they were even close to the start finish. Austin had the momentum, he had the spot, no amount of side drafting was going to get it back so why was the 2 pinching him down like that? Which I agree with, kind of a dick move by the #2, but where was the #3 spotter? Still there, stay down, still on your quarter. Should have never happened.

chamois posted:

The battle for 16th in the points is like the roadrunner and wile e coyote if it was two wile e coyotes

I like Reddick but please god let somebody new win next week so we can stop paying attention to this cavalcade of fails
I'm kind of enjoying pulling for Reddick. If he gets in he'll immediately get vaulted up in front of Harvick in playoff points due to stage wins which is kind of funny. Got nothing against Harvick just enjoying the broken system that would allow a guy who just barely makes the playoffs start off with a better points position than a guy who locked in a race early.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

I'm kind of enjoying pulling for Reddick. If he gets in he'll immediately get vaulted up in front of Harvick in playoff points due to stage wins which is kind of funny. Got nothing against Harvick just enjoying the broken system that would allow a guy who just barely makes the playoffs start off with a better points position than a guy who locked in a race early.

Nothing will ever top "series championship won by a guy who hadn't won a race in a year and a half in a system where WINNING MEANS EVERYTHING".

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

I'd love to see Reddick win his way in at Daytona. He's probably the best driver not currently locked into the playoffs. Looking at the points though, it's wild the difference in the week-over-week performance of harvick and everybody below him. I feel like anybody from 15 up is a legit shot to win every week and then everybody below is on the hauler more often than they cross the finish line.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Mostly curious about how Harvlin have been such a spectacular flop this year vs last year when the two of them won like half the races. . .

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

If the Hendrick cars were as scuffed as they were last year, I think Hamlin at least has 5 wins this year. Harvick seems totally rudderless though.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Robin Miller died :(

gently caress Cancer.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Is it worth getting a scanner for an NHRA event? We're going to the zMax races soon. I know I'll need ear pro regardless but didn't know how useful scanners were at drag races.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I've never used a scanner. Only in-ear protection is going to be sufficient for top fuel.

I've never used a scanner at a NASCAR race either, just an FM headset tuned to the local station. So take that for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mischief posted:

Is it worth getting a scanner for an NHRA event? We're going to the zMax races soon. I know I'll need ear pro regardless but didn't know how useful scanners were at drag races.

I'd say at a drag race you're not going to get much mileage out of a scanner. it's not like you're going to be hear pitstop or team communications / spotters. they don't have time to talk in the drag car.
you may get some track safety crew frequencies and hear that stuff but mostly even then if a car crashes i'ts mostly get in ambulance / crew vehicle and drive to secene you're nto going to get a lot of conversation unless i'ts real bad.