Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i have no idea how i found SA but i was a frontpager viewer and then joined so i had people to play L4D with

i still had a fukkin myspace back then jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vonnie posted:

The 2010's sucked, but at least the Dangan Ronpa LP was good.

:yeah:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I joined SA for the torrent threads

copy
Jul 26, 2007

looking forward to the anime adaptation. manga owns

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

New Muv Luv trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6gATcNgk9s
Cool robots. No JAM Project is a big shame though

Its like they want to fail

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The LP threads were the big draw for me too, especially the Fire Emblem ones. Though the original dangan ronpa LP thread was such an experience lol All the tumblr people desperately account sharing to bypass the paywall was pretty funny. It's cool that orenronen and The Dark Id both got thank you messages from Spike Chunsoft and Cavia for giving their titles so much visibility in the West.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish Rea didn't cancel her Three Houses LP right when they were finally starting the Crimson Flower route. :nyoron:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
my favorite let's play are brunom's srw series

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Azran posted:

Though the original dangan ronpa LP thread was such an experience lol All the tumblr people desperately account sharing to bypass the paywall was pretty funny

All they had to do was not post... and yet.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

gave us the "I love the paywall" song too, which was nice.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I got into SA cause I wanted some goddamn SNES roms and altavista told me I could find some here!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Space Flower posted:

i cant believe that poster was jacking off to femboys
that's hosed up who would do that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

copy posted:

gave us the "I love the paywall" song too, which was nice.

Less than three paywall!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Slowbeef's Metroid Prime LP's are really funny because of how hilariously incompetent beef is at every single game

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nyoro posted:

Slowbeef's Metroid Prime LP's are really funny because of how hilariously incompetent beef is at every single game

Hey now he 1cc’d Subterranean Animism so he’s not all terrible

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Nyoro posted:

Ridley had him Dead to Rights.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nyoro posted:

Is he worse than Arin Hanson?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think Slowbeef deliberately ignores ingame text because every game should be like the first level of Mega Man X, no.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

He does get lost in straight hallways tho

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

To be honest it's really hard to watch a lot of RP (not using the name because it's racist as gently caress). It hasn't aged well, and I'm glad slowbeef and Diabetus moved on from it

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
if i cant get my jerma merch tomorrow im going to piss into my own face

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

El Burbo posted:

Buddy i was 15 years old

happy birthday bruob

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

To be honest it's really hard to watch a lot of RP (not using the name because it's racist as gently caress). It hasn't aged well, and I'm glad slowbeef and Diabetus moved on from it

The tool assisted slow run mario 64 and SMB3 *CENSORED* vids still are great imo.

Two of the best!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the problem with rp was that the videos themselves were almost always funnier than the commentary

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The tool assisted slow run mario 64 and SMB3 *CENSORED* vids still are great imo.

Two of the best!

They're funny, but it's not so funny when they were making fun of the guy who was doing those fighting game moves and the Haruhi dance for his weight. I also remember one where they made fun of a Brave Fencer Musashi let's play by joking that the LPers were gay

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
My entire opinion on MMOs will be forever based on the Anarchy Online review from the frontpage

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Plutonis posted:

I'm gonna support doxxing Julias now bc he gassed my thread

I already answered this on Discord but that was Fluffdaddy lol.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i envision that that thread could get bad if people post ones that aren't femboys

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I'm not gonna relitigate it (because i don't know or care what happened) but RIP to the vtuber thread, the only thread on the forums I actually read or cared to post on occasionally anymore.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
The only good RP videos were the ones where slowbeef watched those AI generated chldren's mickey mouse videos and just gawked in horror, it's a shame they got taken down.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Willo567 posted:

There was an offshoot LesBeardly did where he did videos of just Super Mario World and rom hacks and those were just literally bullying children with righteous self-indignation and man it represented the worst of the culture LP had back then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chicken Thumbs posted:

The only good RP videos were the ones where slowbeef watched those AI generated chldren's mickey mouse videos and just gawked in horror, it's a shame they got taken down.
the ones about bizarre kickstarters and military contract ideas were also good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

only gay people play brave fencer musashi

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I always liked Chip and Ironicus' RP offshoot more, but I also found them more pleasant to listen to than Slowbeef and Diabetus in general.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

There was an offshoot LesBeardly did where he did videos of just Super Mario World and rom hacks and those were just literally bullying children with righteous self-indignation and man it represented the worst of the culture the internet had back then.

FTFY

The internet was (and still is kinda) weirdly obsessed around bullying children. Gen Xers thought we were soft because we weren't allowed to fight other kids in school and old people love to yell at clouds.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dogsicle posted:

Which one

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dogsicle posted:

he's so brave

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

it was kind of weird to keep using the retsupurae brand for things that weren't retsupuraes, imo. Especially if you're disavowing the origins of it, though I forget when they first did that.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I was never into the videos making fun of lets players but I really liked the RP longplay commentary videos. Haven’t gone back in a while so I don’t know if they hold up or if they were carried by the absurdity of the games themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Retsupurae was pretty strongly rooted in the SA mockery tradition, and died out as that declined, for the better. Even so, the name stuck until they started deliberately distancing themselves from it, which is relatively recent.

Of course, mock threads still exist on SA, but they're still walking a fine line between legit criticism and mere bullying.