Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jabby posted:

Well if I was rich and soulless, I'd just fund both parties. The Tories to actually rule and enact the policies I wanted, and Labour to be my pet opposition and keep the Overton window narrower than a Gnat's whisker.

This assumes that a pet opposition is actually necessary, especially one as large and cumbersome as Labour. The ideal scenario would be for the Tories to become the British equivalent of the Japanese LDP, an electoral constant with the only meaningful range of political dispute being within its largely unaccountable factions (plus the occasional pop-up minor party or big-name independent to apply pressure on specific policies).

Yes, this would likely require a significantly more militant approach to stamping out left-wing politicians and parties, but that's more of a challenge than a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It’s too orangy for crows humans.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Where can I find this forum in this forest?

Ok, found it, it's here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876241

The only thing i'm not 100% convinced on from the guide is the 14*bodyweight to work out your calorie level needed to sustain your current weight. I think it might be lower because i was hitting a natural food calorie deficit and running upwards of 10k a day (burning an extra 800 odd calories give or take) and was steadily losing just 2lbs a week. I was pretty diligent with my calorie counting, so the only thing i can think of was that i was either burning off a lot less from exercise or the upper limit of calories needed to sustain 100+ KG is lower than 14*body weight in lbs.

Still, the odd number fudge aside, each day i basically:
Fixed my diet (cut out snacks, sweets and 'empty' calories)
Ate a little less
Ran on an elliptical for 40 minutes at lunch
Walked for an hour and a half (30 minutes to and from work and whatever shambling about the office i did).

The weight just dropped off.

Right now, staring at the same 4 walls and being at home for work drives me to snack and order takeaways after a long day, i'm not commuting so there's no natural walking and i try running on an elliptical in the garage, but it's not the same as being surrounded by other gym goers.

As a result i've shot up from 90 kg to105 kg since Jan 2020.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The parallel supporting thread for this year is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953693 :)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you're losing 2lbs a week, that's sorta the upper limit where the linear relationship breaks down and those rough heuristics like 14*BW become less applicable. It's always better to be empirical- log everything that passes your lips, and if what you're doing averages out at the rate of weight loss you want to achieve, then who gives a poo poo what the formula says you're "supposed" to be maintaining at

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

jabby posted:

Well if I was rich and soulless, I'd just fund both parties. The Tories to actually rule and enact the policies I wanted, and Labour to be my pet opposition and keep the Overton window narrower than a Gnat's whisker.

There was a whole thing where the nature of (foreign) interference (whether Russian, Chinese, internal, whoever) where they do in fact deliberately fund both sides to cause heightened friction and division.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Thanks for the links, shall take a (lurking) gander!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

crispix posted:

the solution will be slave labour won't it

They’re already looking at making prisoners do the work so, yes.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

This assumes that a pet opposition is actually necessary, especially one as large and cumbersome as Labour. The ideal scenario would be for the Tories to become the British equivalent of the Japanese LDP, an electoral constant with the only meaningful range of political dispute being within its largely unaccountable factions (plus the occasional pop-up minor party or big-name independent to apply pressure on specific policies).

Yes, this would likely require a significantly more militant approach to stamping out left-wing politicians and parties, but that's more of a challenge than a problem.

I dunno, as dominant as the Tories are I think people here are conditioned to think of politics as happening between two major parties and maybe one uppity third party.

I would've just thought that controlling Labour would lead to more reliable long-term domination of UK politics than letting them crash and burn and just hoping nothing left-wing arises out of the ashes, but then I'm not a rich oval office.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Twatson made the mistake of posting it lol

https://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1430623998367485954?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

oh this is good, how do labour's finances even look if you take away the union (or even just the Unite) cash? Are they up poo poo creek without a paddle come campaigning time with it?

They're specifically only talking about funding of candidates so this isn't quite as dire a threat as it sounds. I don't know how many MPs Unite actually put up but they probably don't back the ones they don't put up anyway. If anything this is probably very slightly worse for the left of the party than the right - the right will still have the melt unions like GMB to back their candidates while under McCluskey Unite would previously occasionally back candidates from the left who haven't come up through the union.

Even if Unite were backing all Labour MPs it's still not going to blow a hole in the finances because we're generally talking about like an office admin person and some photocopying costs, not the millions that Unite put directly into the party as direct donations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

They’re already looking at making prisoners do the work so, yes.

Most of the severest shortages are in skilled manual work and logistics. Prisoners can probably do the former but they're *probably* not going to be using prison labour to drive lorries even if the skillset is there.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Also I thought it was mostly those on parole they were looking to hire (and still pay) or am I just being overly naive?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Day release rather than just probation, and paid but bad pay. As usual the :effort: version of :911: :godwinning:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Guavanaut posted:

Day release rather than just probation, and paid but bad pay. As usual the :effort: version of :911: :godwinning:

Ah right, cheers for the reminder. Bet the only thing stopping them is the thought of having to invest in prison manufacturing facilities public infrastructure.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I assume Graham's "no Unite funding for MP candidates unless they've been a Shop Steward or rep" is an artifact of her not (yet) being an experienced politician.
Because I'd expect someone a bit savvier to couch that more ambiguously, e.g. 'We will focus Unite funds on candidates who have been a Shop Steward or rep' - which would give them scope to back someone who didn't meet the criteria but was clearly a good left-wing option.

I can respect an approach that's 100% "no union, gently caress you" but it seems a little narrowly-focussed for someone who's taking on the top job at arguably the most important union in the country. After all, there's a lot of ground between Shop Stewards and Durham Tarquins.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I was pretty much convinced that Turner would win because of the McCluskey backing and the 'sensible' pitch and it was a more palatable thought than Coyle, but I think "Unite backed Labour MPs are now a closed shop" are a part of her radical pitch that won rather than a lack of nous.

It's the same as any union negotiation from her position, if you start off with "there's a lot of ground between Shop Stewards and Durham Tarquins" then you end up like Starmer did, making a lot of adequate sounding promises and conceding them all to some degree until you're at "well this Durham Tarquin is actually very commendable" but if you start where she has then hopefully the other parties will have to shift more or lose out. It fits with her rhetoric and (what I know of) her style.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Just Another Lurker posted:

Looked at that graph and the surprising thought came into my head that Northern Ireland might end up being the best place in the UK to live... assuming we get covid under control. :catstare:

Well, NI is not really quite in the UK any more, so this checks out :v:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you're losing 2lbs a week, that's sorta the upper limit where the linear relationship breaks down and those rough heuristics like 14*BW become less applicable. It's always better to be empirical- log everything that passes your lips, and if what you're doing averages out at the rate of weight loss you want to achieve, then who gives a poo poo what the formula says you're "supposed" to be maintaining at

Aha good to know.

Like to be honest my maths was always a bit off on it.

Like I'd punch in 10x my bodyweight in lbs as the calorie goal into myfitnesspal then I'd do my exercise/running on top of that and would basically aim to get that to say 1000 remaining calories each day.

Like I said, for the most part it felt relatively effortless once I got into the routine. Even the running became easy after the first week or so.

It's just kicking that initial habit of junk food which I've found to be the hardest thing. Like when I was on the office it was subtle things like being in the office itself, or commuting or talking to/observing other people do stuff that distracted me.

Now I'm in the same place all the time I sometimes find myself wanting something snacky because I'm bored and want something to break up the monotony.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
GDPR is up for the chop https://twitter.com/HarryYorke1/status/1430649163809792000?s=20

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Will also allow public sector organisations to sell our data to whomever will pay them £2.50

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's a perfect place for them to start since most people think GDPR is at best heavy handed (especially after the deluge of headlines about GDPR emails). Now they can easily replace it with the most barebones legislation imaginable and no one will complain when their medical records are sold to Heinz for £4.80.

Can't wait for Brave Boris to scrap the rest of the unelected EU beurocratic rules so I can electricute myself with a toaster like the good old days.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Except GDPR is very heavily modeled on our existing Data Protection Act, just with considerably harsher enforcement (and that weird German obsession with making people click "Yes please" to cookies) bolted on. Also of course any company wanting to do business in Europe will still have to enforce it and so now have to either do the Yank thing of just denying access to EU IPs, run two completely different sets of policies, or just carry on abiding by GDPR throughout. It was incredibly revealing just how panicky so many UK companies were about it coming in (and how much they howled at the expense of it) because with the exception of a very few edge cases (cookies!) they should have been compliant for over a decade.

Of course the only people who really chafe at data protection are the lowest of the low so of course the Tories want to appeal to them.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
lay off the fray bentos

do more moving

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
you create an energy deficit in your body to burn off fat, why is this so complicated

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lift the heavy thing, and then put down the heavy thing. Repeatedly, of course.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I think its worth pointing out that while the LDP does enjoy political hegemony in Japan, Japanese politics is a lot more diverse than people give it credit for. The Japanese Communist Party is one of the biggest in the world and they have elected representatives at all levels of government, they do particularly well in local elections. I think like 10%? of all municipal assembly members are from the JCP.

Basically Japan probably has more meaningful leftwing political representation than the UK at this point.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lift the heavy thing, and then put down the heavy thing. Repeatedly, of course.

I do this except I myself am the heavy thing.

Over time I have become less heavy which makes it easier but less productive.

Also I am going physically to work today for the first time in 18 months. On the train. Feels weird (and I've lost my card to get into the building so will have to shamefully explain myself to the reception desk)

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 26, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is why I have beefy leg muscles, it is necessary to carry my rear end around.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kingturnip posted:

I assume Graham's "no Unite funding for MP candidates unless they've been a Shop Steward or rep" is an artifact of her not (yet) being an experienced politician.
Because I'd expect someone a bit savvier to couch that more ambiguously, e.g. 'We will focus Unite funds on candidates who have been a Shop Steward or rep' - which would give them scope to back someone who didn't meet the criteria but was clearly a good left-wing option.

I can respect an approach that's 100% "no union, gently caress you" but it seems a little narrowly-focussed for someone who's taking on the top job at arguably the most important union in the country. After all, there's a lot of ground between Shop Stewards and Durham Tarquins.

Remember that Starmer looked OK to a lot of lefties. Yes, Unite are cutting out potentially good left wing options with this policy, but the emphasis is on "potentially", not "left wing". Having been betrayed once, Unite are now demanding Labour candidates who have proven their credentials.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

Remember that Starmer looked OK to a lot of lefties. Yes, Unite are cutting out potentially good left wing options with this policy, but the emphasis is on "potentially", not "left wing". Having been betrayed once, Unite are now demanding Labour candidates who have proven their credentials.

Let's be fair, those people were gullible twats with less political nous than a single celled organism. It was patently obvious from who was backing him that Starmer was a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Let's be fair, those people were gullible twats with less political nous than a single celled organism. It was patently obvious from who was backing him that Starmer was a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Starmer doesn't even aspire to that. He's a saveloy dressed as gammon.

Oct 4, 2005

"Agile Ceremonies" popped into my head again and I had a good laugh about that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lean Agile Ceremonies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU_pzuR2uJY

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Labour have a policy!

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1430796403819925505

Please ignore that the Tories stated aim for minimum wage is £10.50 by 2024. Also, stop with the useless "at least", it just comes across as insincere and fence sitting.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Red Wall tide is loosed, and everywhere
The Agile Ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of pints and Gregg's sausage rolls (non-vegan).

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Lungboy posted:

Labour have a policy!

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1430796403819925505

Please ignore that the Tories stated aim for minimum wage is £10.50 by 2024. Also, stop with the useless "at least", it just comes across as insincere and fence sitting.

I don't understand why as the party not in power, so they don't actually HAVE to implement nor deal with, they can't go with something WILD like £15 an hour! Raise the discourse, make the tories explain that "oh no no no, thats far too much for you plebs." This is easy poo poo?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,   

A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,   

Is moving its slow thighs

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

IllusionistTrixie posted:

I don't understand why as the party not in power, so they don't actually HAVE to implement nor deal with, they can't go with something WILD like £15 an hour! Raise the discourse, make the tories explain that "oh no no no, thats far too much for you plebs." This is easy poo poo?

But then they might actually win an election and need to commit to that?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't believe if starmer wins in 2024 he will go back in time and raise the minimum wage in 2021.