Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

it's like a book in a snes rpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mors Rattus posted:

Save her from…what, exactly? Like, is he planning to resurrect her?

He must be. If there's a memorial to this war then it didn't just happen yesterday, it's likely several years old.

As someone who recently lost a family member, this doesn't bode well for me. If orc guy is portrayed as anything other than unhealthily stuck in the "bargaining" phase of grief, and Mookie frames his quest to bring his wife back from the dead as a good thing...

Well. It'll be Mookie, I guess.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Arudak’s dead wife just feels totally tacked on to make him more sympathetic now that he’s a protagonist. It’s kinda hilarious how Mookie’s idea of him has changed so much that even Arudak’s appearance has changed to be more appealing.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Damnit, Arudak, we just got done with the first necromantic vines subplot, the last thing we need is another one!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

We still don't even have an explanation of why Ink Witch was opposed to orc guy in the first place. By her own words, he owned the pages they were after, but didn't "deserve" them. Doesn't that make HER the antagonist, for stealing them (and then promptly losing them in the wild edge)? And then of course all of that is extra dumb when you consider the pages had, like, paragraph of text, which presumably either of both of them would have read already, making the pages pointless.

Apparently it wasn't much of a conflict anyway, since all it took was Snout going "MOMMY DADDY DON'T FIGHT" and now they're like best friends who have been partners for years.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sometimes dead is better.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Maybe Arudak is really the villain and is manipulating Snout to help him? Antagonist seeks ultimate power and does terrible things with it to save a loved one is a pretty common trope.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Roman Reigns posted:

Maybe Arudak is really the villain and is manipulating Snout to help him? Antagonist seeks ultimate power and does terrible things with it to save a loved one is a pretty common trope.

That might be a good story, so almost assuredly, no.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's pretty straightforward:

Snout: Martyr Complex Mookie
Arudak: "Nobody Understands Me" Loner Mookie
Arudak's Dead Wife: A sexy lamp
Ink Witch: A sexy lamp with a post-it note stuck on combined with Mookie's nostalgia for the early 2000s "con scene" (esp. glomping). In other words, she's Mookie's desire for external validation.
Kaneda: A sexy lamp, TETSUOOOOOOOOOOOO
Redactor: Mookie's critics
Palm Strike: Mookie's latest 'evil party' D&D character

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 25, 2021

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Roman Reigns posted:

one thoroughline in terraciano's works is that good people do good things because they're good, and bad people do bad things because they're bad. loving someone is a good thing so obviously arudak is a good guy. nothing in the story so far suggests that trend is gonna get bucked

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Roman Reigns posted:

This is exactly what we all thought would happen when Ink Witch kept lying to Snout, putting him in dangerous situations and violating his privacy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
And then someone asked Mookie on Twitter if she was supposed to be the bad guy and that's how we got the detour to the house on haunted hill.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I still don't understand what the story is here? It feels like the whole comic is a weird fever dream of jumping from setpiece to setpiece.

Like, for as bad as the original Dominic Deegan and Star Power were they usually had a fairly basic plot I could follow. Like Dominic's Legacy now includes raising the dead or some poo poo?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

one thoroughline in terraciano's works is that good people do good things because they're good, and bad people do bad things because they're bad. loving someone is a good thing so obviously arudak is a good guy. nothing in the story so far suggests that trend is gonna get bucked

If he was bad it would be lust, not love.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Didn't the Ink Witch also say that Arudak had severely injured someone he was intimate with?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If so, well, you know how women lie... which doesn't reflect on my own personal worldview in any way......... ...............

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I totally forgot that ink witch and arudak hated each other

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Mookie knows they're both good guys now so etc.

Even in Deegan he cannot conceive of someone who disagrees with you for reasons that make sense to them.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Zore posted:

I still don't understand what the story is here? It feels like the whole comic is a weird fever dream of jumping from setpiece to setpiece.

no, you understand correctly

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Zore posted:

Fever dreams at least have some off-the-wall creativity.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Rotten Red Rod posted:

all of that is extra dumb when you consider the pages had, like, paragraph of text

Yeah one of my fave things about this entire comic is that every piece of text whether typed or written is in like 72pt font. They waste so much paper because they only write like 5 words per page when trying to communicate, and dip pens, fountain pens, quills, or even fine-tipped brushes dont seem to exist

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
The characters have become tragically aware they're in a Mookie comic. They're doing the best they can to introduce Snout to people and places where a plot point might start or advance, but it keeps ending in congratulating Snout, then sleeping, and more sightseeing. They know Snout's the protagonist, but writing paragraphs of expository dialogue, waiting for him to hit another library, then vaguely dream about it is grinding the story to a halt. They remember antagonistic characters, but they were about as consequential as that minotaur guy Snout kept bumping into.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Zore posted:

I still don't understand what the story is here?

I'm sorry, the what now?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm sorry, the what now?

I think it has something to do with books? God, I loving love books.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think it has something to do with books? God, I loving love books.

Mookie loves books in the same way that people who performativity post I loving Love Science factoids loves science.

His enjoyment of literature starts and ends at where he can use it as a signifier of his own superiority.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I want redactor to get a giant fountain pen like IW's brush broom and stab somebody with it then suck their blood into the ink reservoir

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

I bet the redactor is having a more interesting time than this

Inasfar as it couldn't possibly be less interesting

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

At this point I think you all are being very optimistic about her ever showing up again

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

She's going to, if for no other reason than that she's tired up with punch man, who iirc is one of mookies older ideas so he wouldn't drop him entirely.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Mookie is just addicted to emotional catharsis now.

Just sacharrine moments devoid of real meaning, like a webcomic This Is Us.

(I know this is us is better written than DD, don't attack me)

What comic do you think he traced panel 2 from?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

everything but the last panel is traced, and the jump to the art in that panel is jarring
wonder what search words he used on google to find them

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Any% pathos speedrun

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Now kiss

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheHan posted:

Any% pathos speedrun

0% plot slowrun

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Beelzebufo posted:

(I know this is us is better written than DD, don't attack me)

Eeeeehhhhhhhhh depends on the episode

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Who What Now posted:

Eeeeehhhhhhhhh depends on the episode

I wasn't able to watch past season 1 cause I felt the writers trying to artificially twang my heartstrings.

But even they wouldn't try to pull a Mookie and have characters who have otherwise barely interacted having a tearful moment over some long dead love of one of them, after months of nothing happening.

Mookie, you can't possible believe that any reader is feeling sympathy for Arudak right now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So he literally just brought him here to be sad in front of him?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

So he literally just brought him here to be sad in front of him?

He's manipulating him into a pity-gently caress. Pretty sneaky, Arudak...

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

super sweet best pal posted:

How does everyone here come up with names? I just stare at the screen and think of random syllables until something sounds right.

Grug... bor. Lord Grugbor. Of... Blade... gyre. Lord Grugbor of Bladegyre! Now there's an Orc king I'd gladly follow into battle.

If I'm not going with a theme of some kind, I usually use Behind The Name's generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Beelzebufo posted:

I wasn't able to watch past season 1 cause I felt the writers trying to artificially twang my heartstrings.

But even they wouldn't try to pull a Mookie and have characters who have otherwise barely interacted having a tearful moment over some long dead love of one of them, after months of nothing happening.

Mookie, you can't possible believe that any reader is feeling sympathy for Arudak right now.

I'm pretty sure one of the triplets took a first date to the house their dad burnt to death in or something lmao