Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raygereio posted:

Try using the "pcb" console command next time you're experience slowdowns like that.

I thought purge cell buffers wasn't recommended because it could lead to instability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I thought purge cell buffers wasn't recommended because it could lead to instability?
Just having a script running in the background that runs "pcb" every x minutes like the old FO3 mod did, is not a great idea since under very specific circumstances it can cause wonkiness.
But the internet being what it is, that changed quickly in the modding community to "OMG purge cell buffers will incinerate your PC and kill your mom" levels of nonsense.

Just running the command manually when you're out of combat and standing still (so the game is not active loading cells around you) is fine. If Rinkles was going to post back with "that did fix it", my next advice would have been to set
bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=1
bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=1
in the game's .ini files. That should have the same effect as purge cell buffers, but no chance of wonkiness as that won't purge those buffers when the game is actively loading those buffers.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Enter the wonderful red cube.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Raygereio posted:

Just having a script running in the background that runs "pcb" every x minutes like the old FO3 mod did, is not a great idea since under very specific circumstances it can cause wonkiness.
But the internet being what it is, that changed quickly in the modding community to "OMG purge cell buffers will incinerate your PC and kill your mom" levels of nonsense.

Just running the command manually when you're out of combat and standing still (so the game is not active loading cells around you) is fine. If Rinkles was going to post back with "that did fix it", my next advice would have been to set
bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=1
bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=1
in the game's .ini files. That should have the same effect as purge cell buffers, but no chance of wonkiness as that won't purge those buffers when the game is actively loading those buffers.

Unfortunately it had no effect.

But it's happened less often recently, for whatever reason. That's why I didn't respond earlier. I was waiting for an opportunity to test it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Big weird red thing is in an inconsequential ruin, so I won't worry about that.

However! I just entered the Ultra-Luxe, and after exploring for twenty minutes I hit constant crashes, which according to google has been a common problem since launch. Anything I can do to mitigate?

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
Did you follow the VLV guide exactly or did you start adding a bunch of stuff to it? Even if you added a bunch of things, problems like that shouldn't exist if you did everything in the guide right.

Maybe hit up their discord? https://discord.gg/DhX5S27

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The one questionable recommendation I saw in VNV was New Vegas Redesigned 2 Revised. It doesn't look as offensive as the original version, but I don't really get why you'd make these changes.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 25, 2021

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Women have to look attractive and men have to look grizzled.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

It's really frustrating because NV's og character models have not aged well. They don't look nearly as bad as Oblivion's infamous potato head men but they're still pretty derpy looking so it would be nice to have a mod that just makes all the NPCs look a bit more human without turning all the women into anime supermodels.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I don't know why everyone recommends VNV

All you need is patches to fix crashes/stuttuers, J Sawyers mod, and whatever dumb mods you want in that exact order.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Rinkles posted:

The one questionable recommendation I saw in VNV was New Vegas Redesigned 2 Revised. It doesn't look as offensive as the original version, but I don't really get why you'd make these changes.

my god. I got to this one and just burst out laughing, jesus christ.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

In the era of MO2 do you really need a master install list in a painfully specific order? Eugh.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

PinheadSlim posted:

All you need is patches to fix crashes/stuttuers, J Sawyers mod, and whatever dumb mods you want in that exact order.

because it's a solid foundation, with mostly good advice, and clear instructions. starting from scratch is daunting, and even if you're somewhat familiar with what's out there, stuff gets outdated, and it's easy to forget a step or a mod you needed. plus this (mostly) sticks to essentials.

i was lost modding FO4 without a similar guide, and had to piece together what i was supposed to do from multiple sources.

e:what, i just noticed the same person has an fo4 guide, i don't know how i missed it.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 25, 2021

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Soks posted:

Did you follow the VLV guide exactly or did you start adding a bunch of stuff to it? Even if you added a bunch of things, problems like that shouldn't exist if you did everything in the guide right.

Maybe hit up their discord? https://discord.gg/DhX5S27

I added one other mod, and ommited a few that were gameplay/UI/merchant related. All bug fixes were installed according to specifications. If the problem is related to a merchant in the luxe, that could be something, but that seems weird.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

Because VNV is exactly that, except you don't have to trawl through scattered information online to figure out what the best and most up-to-date fixes and improvements are. Also it tells you how to make it all work together, even if you don't know much about modding.

The percentage of new vegas mod users who wouldn't benefit from at least giving VNV a glance is extremely low, it's far too easy to miss out on new developments under the sheer weight of ancient, outdated mods.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I was gonna say, VNV is literally what that poster wanted. Only difference is the iStewie tweaks, but you can just ignore them or tweak it yourself. Oh and The Living Desert but despite my negative attitude to it a few months ago I tried it and it really does fit well

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It's been so long since I've played NV and I'm so used to dumb faces in games that I honestly didn't notice the face changes, and as such I don't mind. Living Desert is cool, I like the feeling of more stuff just happening.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Fun fact- Living Desert contains encounters that only happen after the game has been won, using Functional Post Game Ending.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Garrand posted:

my god. I got to this one and just burst out laughing, jesus christ.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
How many mods are there on Nexus names along the lines of "Better Females"?

It's probably a lot.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ah yes, that's what I picture in my head when I hear the voice and read the dialogue of Cass

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zzjay definitely goes more on the BethesdaModding.txt side of redesigns but I did like their Cass redesign from a few months ago.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I can't find it anymore but there was a Cass mod where she had glammed up hair / face and she still had her jacket but no shirt, so the center third of her torso was bare to display her DDs. It's the archetypal "big titty Cass" mod and always what I think of when I imagine player mods of companions.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Can I link my lore friendly Long Dick Johnson companion mod with custom hair

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I dunno, these don't seem that bad. I played with them on that list and got used to it pretty fast. The ones rope kid posted are much worse.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wiltsghost posted:

I dunno, these don't seem that bad. I played with them on that list and got used to it pretty fast. The ones rope kid posted are much worse.

yeah and i said as much. i don't like them but they're not offensive. they just seem like pretty pointless deviations from the original in a guide that mostly avoids that kind of thing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Big titty Tabitha is what's up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I did a quick search for Cass mods and here's what I found.

ZZJAY NPCS:

Not bad overall, still goes for the doll look a bit.

A Better Cass:

Beware of mods that include hairpacks as requirements.

Rose of Sharon Cassidy FN Reloaded:

Getting that pouty face down.

Rose of Sharon Cassidy FNV:

No that's too much pout.

New Cass Outfit:

This what you were looking for Ropekid?

Anyways here's Danny Trejo:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Nobody's naturals are that big, not even Big Naturals Johnson

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I thought this was a total conversion that turned her into I-No for a sec

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I just don't trust that one mod that pulls models from other games. I think it's a dragbody mod? At the end of the day, it's New Vegas, and you can't get blood from a stone. The NPCs are never going to look great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bogart posted:

I just don't trust that one mod that pulls models from other games. I think it's a dragbody mod? At the end of the day, it's New Vegas, and you can't get blood from a stone. The NPCs are never going to look great.

Yeah it's dragbody's NPC Project. I used it for a bit but the main reason it isn't that great are the eyes. Oh God the eyes. See, I opened it up in GECK when I was messing around with the RE6 Sherry Birkin head he pulled and it turns out that the eyes are actually treated as equipment rather than being part of the head model. So they don't have the same animations as the eyes that are built into the default headmeshes and they stare at you lifeless and dull.

I tried seeing what would happen if you applied the regular headmesh eyes to the ported models and... well...

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ThaumPenguin posted:

Because VNV is exactly that, except you don't have to trawl through scattered information online to figure out what the best and most up-to-date fixes and improvements are. Also it tells you how to make it all work together, even if you don't know much about modding.

The percentage of new vegas mod users who wouldn't benefit from at least giving VNV a glance is extremely low, it's far too easy to miss out on new developments under the sheer weight of ancient, outdated mods.

Yeah I admit my perception of VNV was not accurate, I fully retract my dumb bullshit post

2house2fly posted:

Nobody's naturals are that big, not even Big Naturals Johnson

:emptyquote:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Arc Hammer posted:

New Cass Outfit:

This what you were looking for Ropekid?
This is it. It's blessed.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

That "new" Cass... Cursed. :aaa:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's weird that the fallout 3/oblivion era engine apparently only has two face settings and that's realdoll or potato.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i think the oblivion character overhaul is pretty decent

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
whenever I see better looking oblivion I just imagine it running at like 23 fps in my head

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

hello, i started playin fnv again on a whim and now am playing The Frontier. i got past the first chapter and am laughing my rear end off at the 'tone of it' combined with all the gamebryo things.
what was the deal what made it all hosed up i'm too lazy to jump back however many pages and find out. i know it had a bunch of poo poo removed but i'm sure i'll find out soon enough goin' into the actual Game/open world portion of it.

Rinkles posted:

i think the oblivion character overhaul is pretty decent

i think those are the head meshes/textures that FCO or one of those other big overhaul mod uses? or used? i dunno, i've been out of Modworld for a long time but they look hella familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Those look quite good yeah though the beastfolk are the standouts.

Humanoids all still look a bit potatoey except sharper rather than round like vanilla oblivion.