Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I was really hoping that Zor-El was going to solve climate change like Mayor Oliver Queen solved gun violence. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tiggum posted:

I was really hoping that Zor-El was going to solve climate change like Mayor Oliver Queen solved gun violence. :allears:

It's complicated though!!!!!!

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So here's how I think the season is going to end, that 4th dimensional imp is going to come back and push everybody's poo poo in, and cause a bunch of issues, one of which will be bringing back Overgirl, she's gonna have the same issues from before where she's gonna explode, and when she does, everyone will assume that it was actually Supergirl, and she'll get to live in peace finally.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Referencing Kal this episode is cruel if he doesn't show up once this season.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Don't be silly, he'd solve it just like Supergirl stopped racism

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do have to question how the Central City Citizen is so high up in the media ranking when it is like 4 people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also this got mentioned in other threads but once Supergirl ends Alex is coming back right away for a 5 parter Flash event that will start off that show's season.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

muscles like this! posted:

I do have to question how the Central City Citizen is so high up in the media ranking when it is like 4 people.

Ha, I literally came to post this exact thing. Iris is a legit media mogul apparently.

I liked the episode but it really is jarring how incongruous the universes of this and S&L are. And it's not like with Flash and Arrow where small inconsistencies are easy enough to handwave away, these two shows are dealing with a lot of the same people and places and just presenting them in completely different ways (the Fortress of Solitude being a prime example).

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Apparently Brandon Routh (The Atom) from Legends is also coming back for that too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ShakeZula posted:

(the Fortress of Solitude being a prime example).

Clark let's Kara use the big side of the Fortress, he's fine with that little nook.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
The Mancave of Solitude

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I got a good laugh out of that. I mean, it's probably that the writers didn't care that much and were just running through a list of other DC media outlets to beat CatCo and the CCC was one of them, but it's still a pretty hilarious to think that Iris' 2-year-old website(/newpaper?) is beating an established media conglomerate.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Barry registers millions of Facebook accounts and shares Central City Citizen articles, inflating their ranking due to massive social media engagement.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Barry registers millions of Facebook accounts and shares Central City Citizen articles, inflating their ranking due to massive social media engagement.

"Twitter bots, courtesy of Ray Palmer"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

"Twitter bots, courtesy of Ray Palmer"

"They're emitting high-frequency shitposts that are disabling your critical thinking skills. You're gonna be getting in a lot of dumb arguments for a while."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I got a good laugh out of that. I mean, it's probably that the writers didn't care that much and were just running through a list of other DC media outlets to beat CatCo and the CCC was one of them, but it's still a pretty hilarious to think that Iris' 2-year-old website(/newpaper?) is beating an established media conglomerate.

centralcitycitizen.blogspot.com

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So Supergirl is now a childrens level issues show?

It might as well have a bit at the end where Kara comes out and tells you "remember to separate your paper types!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean it was never subtle in its handling of Big Issues

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean it was never subtle in its handling of Big Issues

The one with the killer murdering Trans people and the cops being "eh who cares?" was pretty solid, but most of the time they feel like a Captain Planet episode.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Yeah this is my biggest problem with Supergirl. Much more than any other show Supergirl has always tried to provide a social commentary/moral lesson; but there is a way to create a show that addresses or makes people reflect on real world issues that makes for an engaging show but the format and the writers on Supergirl don’t really allow for that. It’s hard work and the writers don’t have the skill for it so Supergirl very often comes across as something of an after school special.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The issue is that they just kind of shrugged their shoulders about it. Going "yeah it's bad but what you gonna do?" Like, hey, maybe try again with Oscar just next time don't send him to the alien parts garbage island.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Or utilize all of this insanely-advanced alien technology and the two resident super-genius intellects at your disposal to solve the problem in other ways. Kara was literally a witness to her planet's final moments and now has a trusted and respected scientist (who also happens to be her father) showing her data and telling her it's going to happen to Earth soon. That should shock her into making it a priority.

Although I do have some questions about the correlation between ocean pollution and the planet straight-up exploding.

Edit: Though come to think of it, isn't Brainy from thousands of years in the future? Presumably he knows Earth's situation then, so maybe they're all not too worried about it because Brainy told them it's fine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

Or utilize all of this insanely-advanced alien technology and the two resident super-genius intellects at your disposal to solve the problem in other ways. Kara was literally a witness to her planet's final moments and now has a trusted and respected scientist (who also happens to be her father) showing her data and telling her it's going to happen to Earth soon. That should shock her into making it a priority.

The most powerful people on the planet being told that time is running out to do anything about climate change and going "That sounds bad. Someone should probably do something about that, at some point." and then carrying on as usual is pretty realistic tbh.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tiggum posted:

The most powerful people on the planet being told that time is running out to do anything about climate change and going "That sounds bad. Someone should probably do something about that, at some point." and then carrying on as usual is pretty realistic tbh.

"Yea we should really do something about that, but we have to consider the effects on the stock market" is what non insane leaders say. The insane ones just deny it or assume its not a problem because Jesus is going to come back tomorrow.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yay Imp Lady is back!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I would say this is cartoonishly evil behavior by the prison administration, but...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

I would say this is cartoonishly evil behavior by the prison administration, but...

It's not cartoonishly evil enough for reality. Like, this is presented as an under the table thing when the reality is that it's all above board and completely legal poo poo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

It's not cartoonishly evil enough for reality. Like, this is presented as an under the table thing when the reality is that it's all above board and completely legal poo poo.

But on the other hand, it's hard to be more cartoonish than having convicts steal dirty bomb components for Bruno loving Mannheim and Intergang. The real world is much insidiously mundane and as you said, worse.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes there’s a ridiculous cartoon garbage monster attacking the city, other times you have hardened convicts trying to steal dirty bomb parts for Bruno Mannheim, it’s all a wash in the end.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I do wish the corrupt warden had tried to bump off Kara for sticking her nose where it doesn't belong.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
We will probably not actually have Intergang as the villains for the Finale, but I hope it sets something up for Superman & Lois to follow through on

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

We will probably not actually have Intergang as the villains for the Finale, but I hope it sets something up for Superman & Lois to follow through on

Yuck. I hope nothing from this show makes it over to S&L. They're basically incompatible at this point.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I still want Kara to show up every once in a while on S&L. But I agree that’s about it. This show looks like an amateur production next to S&L.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

They could have written it so that Nyxlygsptlnz came across as sympathetic and didn't offer Nia an obviously cursed wish. They could have had the owl be more ambiguous - as it was before it spoke and flat out told her things she should already have known. Now it just makes Nia look implausibly dumb.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I still want Kara to show up every once in a while on S&L. But I agree that’s about it. This show looks like an amateur production next to S&L.

I love the optimism of the show, their willingness to engage on social issues (even if they pretty often fall into the Arrow style easy solution trap and holy poo poo everything about the end of Season 2 has aged brutally) but yeah the last two seasons have just been so rough to watch. I understand all the factors involved, the budget situation clearly isn't great, you've had cast availability issues and obviously COVID is loving everything up, but the end product just leaves me feeling kinda sad at this point. I hope they can finish strong but my expectations are pretty heavily tempered.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Warden should've had a press conference bragging about how he was using the prisoners :911:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Tiggum posted:

They could have written it so that Nyxlygsptlnz came across as sympathetic and didn't offer Nia an obviously cursed wish. They could have had the owl be more ambiguous - as it was before it spoke and flat out told her things she should already have known. Now it just makes Nia look implausibly dumb.

Yeah rattling off things like "I have no idea who you are" and "Imps are famously untrustworthy" and "My mother's favorite symbol of wisdom is literally telling me not to trust you" combined with the complete lack of time pressure and even bothering to vaguely check in with her friends (all of whom have direct experience with at least one fifth-dimensional being) makes Nia look extremely stupid.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm confused about the folded American flag in Alex and Kelly's apartment. Aren't those given to family members who have had someone die in military service? Who died? It seems weird set dressing to have randomly in an apartment. It would be like having an Oscar just there. Something that specific needs an explanation.

I guess maybe Dean Cane died?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

twistedmentat posted:

I'm confused about the folded American flag in Alex and Kelly's apartment. Aren't those given to family members who have had someone die in military service? Who died? It seems weird set dressing to have randomly in an apartment. It would be like having an Oscar just there. Something that specific needs an explanation.

I guess maybe Dean Cane died?

That would be my guess, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Dean Cane's character had to run off in shame from his family because he was disgraced or something to that effect before he died?