Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Nitrousoxide posted:

You're more patient than me. I think I gave up when they found Mudd the first time.

It was kind of impressive how they managed to poo poo all over every part of the franchise the series touched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

8one6 posted:

Also why the gently caress do all of the Klingons speak Klingon like they just took a drink of water and are desperate not to swallow it?
The original show creator, who left before airing of the first episode, designed them to be a stand-in for Muslim terrorists, and wrote the pro-pre-emptive strike politics of the first episode more heavily. You can kind of see an Islamic world cultural reference in their ornate brass ship designs. They could have just given their aliens a separate species name, but they decided to designate them as the rebooted Klingons.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

galenanorth posted:

The original show creator, who left before airing of the first episode, designed them to be a stand-in for Muslim terrorists, and wrote the pro-pre-emptive strike politics of the first episode more heavily. You can kind of see an Islamic world cultural reference in their ornate brass ship designs. They could have just given their aliens a separate species name, but they decided to designate them as the rebooted Klingons.

loving LOL there's always more and it's always worse isn't it?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

It was kind of impressive how they managed to poo poo all over every part of the franchise the series touched.

You don't have to hand it to them but Pike/ Number One (Una)/ Talos IV stuff was actually p good even if it all began as service to :spock:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Mudd time loop episode was good.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I tried to find a citation for the Arabic culture-as-inspiration story and couldn't, but I'm sure I read it somewhere explicitly...

quote:

How did you approach doing two different voices for these characters?

There’s so many different elements you have to think about. But I always wanted to have a hint of Voq in Tyler. So his American accent always has a kind of pharyngealness and I wanted to keep that up with the English when he’s doing the Klingon. There’s so many different ways the Klingon throat would work. It’s got a bit of that Arabic sound. So there’s so many different elements going on top emotional performances. It was very challenging. I mean I don’t think I’ll ever play two characters again like this— it’s not even two characters anymore — it’s three.
https://www.inverse.com/article/40200-shazad-latif-star-trek-discovery-ep-11-voq-tyler-spoilers

There's the tightly woven brass caligraphy aspect

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 26, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They should have been new aliens rather than basically entirely recreating Klingons

Of course, they also shouldn't have made another prequel, so

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

If those new klingon designs had come out, and instead of them being klingon they were gorn, that whole redesign would have gone over so much better. It'd probably be fondly looked at as the same sort of upgrade the klingons went through from TOS to the movies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Nah, people would still have complained, it’s too different. Gorn are not humans with forehead bits, they’re chunky rubber suit lizard men. A new alien race would have been fine. Everything doesn’t need to be something we’ve seen before but repackaged, you can come up with marginally new things, it’s fine. Trek already has like fifteen flavors of semi-redundant barbarous space rear end in a top hat peoples, Klingons, Gorn, Jemhadar, Kazons, etc. What’s the problem with one more?

But even if they weren’t Klingons that wouldn’t fix a bunch of lovely decisions they made with them. They’re way overdesigned, overly costumed, overly made-up. Also all the storytelling they do with them aggressively sucks rear end lol

Also all the gargling sounds fake language dialogue. Holy poo poo, what were they thinking? Was that supposed to be fan service?

skasion fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 26, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Aside from the literal head ridges, nothing about them says “Klingons” and that’s the issue. Not the architecture, not the ship design, not the costumes, it’s all just wrong. They’re not even bad designs, some of it looks incredibly cool, but it does not work at all as Klingons. They don’t even act like Klingons. They’re middle-earth space orcs!

There was a fan-made speculation or fake rumor or something early on that postulated they were actually ancient Klingons who’d been in stasis for thousands of years and that’s the only way I could actually see them working as Klingons.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They did a ton of walking back the Klingon changes in Season 2, then they just kind of drop out of the series entirely

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There was a fan-made speculation or fake rumor or something early on that postulated they were actually ancient Klingons who’d been in stasis for thousands of years and that’s the only way I could actually see them working as Klingons.

This was a fan theory based on the fact that the leaked ship concept just upthread was called “sarcophagus ship” iirc

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

At the end of season 1, the show's messaging arrives at "sure, a pre-emptive strike is the logical Vulcan thing to do, but it's not the right thing to do, the human thing to do" (maybe as an attempt to retcon or address Fuller's writing) but given how often our recent pre-emptive strikes have been based on false or incomplete information, and that "the only way to win is not to play" when there is a risk of mutually assured destruction, it doesn't really seem that logical, either.

If they were so sure that making aliens "more alien" was the way to go, consistency would've demanded they give a similar makeover to Vulcans at the risk of the Spock-based marketing material

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 26, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

its just so sad to go from having awesome Klingons like Martok to entirely horrible grim monsters in Disco

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I liked the two and a half Mudd episodes in Discovery way more than the two and a half in TOS and TAS for sure.

Found the Klingon stuff to be compelling but that's definitely a preference thing. Never noticed any garbled issues. I'm pretty sure they spoke in perfect English (with processing ) while in makeup. It's just how tlhIngan Hol was supposed to sound.

galenanorth posted:

At the end of season 1, the show's messaging arrives at "sure, a pre-emptive strike is the logical Vulcan thing to do, but it's not the right thing to do, the human thing to do" (maybe as an attempt to retcon or address Fuller's writing) but given how often our recent pre-emptive strikes have been based on false or incomplete information, and that "the only way to win is not to play" when there is a risk of mutually assured destruction, it doesn't really seem that logical, either.

If they were so sure that making aliens "more alien" was the way to go, consistency would've demanded they give a similar makeover to Vulcans at the risk of the Spock-based marketing material

The arc of Burnham's character was obviously supposed to bookend that she mutineered for the wrong reasons in the Pilot against Starfleet's ideals, and that she's mutineered for the right reasons for Starfleet.

Sarek mentions that what worked for Vulcans didn't necessarily apply in this scenario.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

8one6 posted:

12 and a half episodes was more than a fair chance. I'm done with this.

Every season, people come on here and say that the show finally gets better, and every season, like a fool, I watch a few episodes before I realize the truth.

It never gets better. Some viewers just get acclimated.

Anson Mount is indeed the best part of season 2, but even he and his likeable Enterprise crew can't make up for awful dialog and cinematography.

Fool that I am, I'll surely try Strange New Worlds, because hope springs eternal.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arc Light posted:

Anson Mount is indeed the best part of season 2

Fool that I am, I'll surely try Strange New Worlds, because hope springs eternal.

I'm tempted but the look of the Enterprise and the bridge and what we've seen of the other sets really just gets under my skin in a way I know is irrational. But Anson mount is amazingly good and also very pretty. Hmm.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You know speaking of Klingons are their changing appearance, I love how the TOS-era characters are all done in TAS style in Lower Decks and it just goes completely uncommented on. It's like humanity got the updated visual effects for once.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Well, that was a pretty solid episode.

:laffo: at Paris screaming “A KAZON!” and immediately beating the poo poo out of Boimler

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

there was so much in that episode, like drat

i liked it

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

xerxus posted:

I liked the two and a half Mudd episodes in Discovery way more than the two and a half in TOS and TAS for sure.

I also prefer the sinister criminal/con-man than the goofy con-man who just wanted to be able to tell his wife to shut up.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This episode was great, I'm just happy we're getting platefuls of good stuff!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

galenanorth posted:

Bryan Fuller didn't just leave before the first episode was aired, he was fired something like seven months before a single frame of Discovery began filming.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The ship in The Vulcan Hello being a sarcophagus was a hint to this, yes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lower Decks: 3 minutes in, T'Ana being a straight-up cat is the peak of comedy thank you very much

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 26, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Harry Kim is now a capain.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ooo, takin' advantage of the new high-detail model there for some nice closer-in angles.

Hey, there were three simultaneous plots in that episode and none of them sucked! Normally at least once does when they do that much.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 26, 2021

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Fantastic episode. Mariner can't play the "you're just freakin' out and angry because you're an uptight nerd" when she seriously messes up with Tendi like she can with Boimler, so she has to confront the consequences of her actions directly. All the jokes were spot-on and I laughed for a whole minute at the end

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 26, 2021

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so Shax's deal is just Bajoran stuff, right?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Poor Rutherford.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Hey, there were three simultaneous plots in that episode and none of them sucked! Normally at least once does when they do that much.

Yeah I was waiting for at least one to drop the ball but they juggled all three so well and all three had amazing payoff.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Ooo, takin' advantage of the new high-detail model there for some nice closer-in angles.

Though some of those shots of the Engineering section kinda threw me for a loop since they made it look like it’s not even attached to the ship lol

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Someone needs to upload the Klingon Death Metal songs

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tiny image, but I gotta say, the initial previs that they used to set up the lighting on the Enterprise bridge for Disco looks way nicer than what they ended up going with

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
That screech Boimler let out was one of the great comedic screams of anguish. Wow.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Harry Kim is now a capain.

:unsmith:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Tiny image, but I gotta say, the initial previs that they used to set up the lighting on the Enterprise bridge for Disco looks way nicer than what they ended up going with

Yeah it actually pops quite nicely with that brighter lighting over the darker blue. What a way to ruin a nice set.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah it actually pops quite nicely with that brighter lighting over the darker blue. What a way to ruin a nice set.

Agreed. Here's hoping they go with that initial lighting for SNW.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really hate Disco's uniforms. It's almost impossible to tell the crewman's role or rank at a glance. The sets are dark and the uniforms dark too so they just blend into the background as well.

It like they didn't do any actual visual tests in front of the camera before settling on it for 2-3 seasons. Easily the worst uniforms in all of Trek, even including S1 of TNG.

The 32nd Century uniforms were so-so, but had a glaring fault that should've been obvious from initial screen-testing; At the right angle you can't see the colour stripe and that's kind of a no-no for a television show's fancy uniform. You can tell they worked out that one by the end, because they've inverted the colour scheme for season 4 with a black stripe. (I half-wonder if it's why they kept the Disco uniforms for the entire season as a temporary fix)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There were some extremely great Tendi faces in this episode.

I need gifs from this episode especially kitty in the box

Also Mariner being explicitly, uh, pansexual seems to be limiting to describe her sexual identity. Also Bromlier? He's more of a pet

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

MikeJF posted:

The lighting in the top image is austere and a bit unsettling. The bottom one is unimaginative because everything is blue nowadays, but that doesn't automatically make the top one good for what the bridge of the Enterprise should look like. The top one would be good lighting of either a corporate monolith or some creepy science ship.

I don't watch Discovery so I'm just going by the image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I just hate how dark modern bridge sets are, it's hard to get a good feel of it. For all the complaints about Cruise ship to the stars the Galaxy got the bridge was well lit and easy to parse to where anyone who had seen a few episodes could easily map out the entire thing in their head.