Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

10 breakthrough cases of delta in nz :captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is from July

He's rules lawyering that you should only count vaccine efficacy in highly vaccinated cities since apparently the rest of Israel doesn't matter

Of course highly vaccinated cities are going to have less cases

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

covid is over

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

triple sulk posted:

covid is over

more like covid is joever

hit the bricks jack and dont come back

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

McNugget Buddy posted:

This is from July

He's rules lawyering that you should only count vaccine efficacy in highly vaccinated cities since apparently the rest of Israel doesn't matter

Of course highly vaccinated cities are going to have less cases

I don't understand, the rural areas in my country are more vaccinated due to having less people and more olds, why would Israel be any different?

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Sphyre posted:

10 breakthrough cases of delta in nz :captainpop:

:getin:

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
i have made it through my first delta variant trip

the wheels of fate spin and i'm a fuckin winner hell yeah

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Any state where the governor implements a statewide indoor mask mandate is cool

AARP is keeping track of the cool states

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2020/states-mask-mandates-coronavirus.html

quote:

Six states — Hawaii, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon and Washington — as well as Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia require most people to wear masks in indoor public places, whether or not they have been vaccinated against COVID-19. California, Connecticut, Illinois and New York have indoor mask mandates that extend only to the unvaccinated.

On Aug. 27, Oregon will become the first state to reimpose a face-covering requirement for people in outdoor public settings.

Lots of uncool states

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How the gently caress do we still not have decent efficacy numbers

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
My governor's a mushy moderate bitch so he won't mandate poo poo

android1701
Mar 22, 2020

Zurtilik posted:

Kentucky has a mask mandate for public schools as well. So it will probably be even worse in other states.

Yeehaw!

KY Supreme Court shot down the mask mandate.

https://www.wlky.com/article/gov-beshear-rescinds-school-mask-mandate-in-wake-of-kentucky-supreme-court-decision/37374865

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

cr0y posted:

How the gently caress do we still not have decent efficacy numbers

Because then the narrative of "Just get the vax and then it's over!" regurgitated by the 'world leaders' all over will fall apart like wet cake?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Chamale posted:

BeHealthyUSA is completely out of kids' masks. My dad is finally convinced to get a proper mask for my half-sister, are there any sites that have good masks for kids and ship to Canada?

Edit: Looks like Bonafide Masks has them in stock, I just wasn't seeing them on the site at first

I ordered some of the powecom kn95s for kids. They're new and they've been saying they'd ship by this week. I'll post when they come in. Right now I'm using some masks off Amazon for the kiddo that seem decent, at least in terms of fit and construction, but I'd like something "bonafide"

Edit: these are the mystery masks that seem "ok" for my first grader
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Q8J5MNQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_7C9EP73QKW5NB4J2TFGA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 26, 2021

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DarkCrawler posted:

I don't understand, the rural areas in my country are more vaccinated due to having less people and more olds, why would Israel be any different?

Olds got the vaccine first, so their immunity would wane first

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Millions of Americans are going to die. I am sad.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

inshallah

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asproigerosis posted:

How does one buy stock in shovels

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

McNugget Buddy posted:

Any state where the governor implements a statewide indoor mask mandate is cool

AARP is keeping track of the cool states

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2020/states-mask-mandates-coronavirus.html

Lots of uncool states

the colony of Puerto Rico is also MANDATING vaccinations for all school children 12+, which i think Iis cool and would cause literal armed rebellion in like 48 of the states

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mod sassinator posted:

holy shitballs, 1/3 of new cases in kentucky are in kids. i.. uh.. hope that doesn't become a national trend

that means more than half of new cases aren't kids and that's fine

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

McNugget Buddy posted:

How does one buy stock in shovels

quote:

New York, July 16, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Global Cadaver Bags Industry" - https://www.reportlinker.com/p05896564/?utm_source=GNW
6 Million by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 6.8% over the analysis period 2020-2027. PVC, one of the segments analyzed in the report, is projected to record a 7.2% CAGR and reach US$441.3 Million by the end of the analysis period. After an early analysis of the business implications of the pandemic and its induced economic crisis, growth in the Polyethylene segment is readjusted to a revised 6.9% CAGR for the next 7-year period.

The U.S. Market is Estimated at $235.5 Million, While China is Forecast to Grow at 6.8% CAGR

The Cadaver Bags market in the U.S. is estimated at US$235.5 Million in the year 2020. China, the world`s second largest economy, is forecast to reach a projected market size of US$45 Million by the year 2027 trailing a CAGR of 6.8% over the analysis period 2020 to 2027. Among the other noteworthy geographic markets are Japan and Canada, each forecast to grow at 5.9% and 7% respectively over the 2020-2027 period. Within Europe, Germany is forecast to grow at approximately 6.3% CAGR.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 26, 2021

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

:same: but unironically.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Covok posted:

Rationally injecting horse paste up my rear end in a top hat.

can’t do that when I need my rear end in a top hat for o2 enemas

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm now on my second respirator purchase of the last month and I already had one. That 3m clicky gots me saying "but yeah what about when I only need the mask for the period I'mm picking up food from the drive-thru window" so I got a 6500OL (helps that I accidentally bought the wrong filters for the click at first so I now have some other filters begging to be used). I started using my Cambridge masks again when delta popped up but that's hard to breathe in, and I almost like breathing in the respirator (that might be more of a commentary about how bad my lungs are at the moment in general (rips @ me))

Real Mean Queen posted:

If you're on this particular comedy forum for communists, you've very likely got the kind of brain that can deal with lifelong horror stories and still crack some jokes, and that means you're durable. You're pretty comfortable second guessing the official story about how great America is doing. You're in the only age range that really gets how the internet works so you're not getting all your news from facebook or tiktok. You're on a fairly obscure website in the first place, so you know how to dig for stuff. You believe in your heart that there could and should be a better world, and this makes it so that you can't ever really say "gently caress it, I'm just gonna tune the rest of this out."

Basically I think this thread works as well as it does because it has a bunch of totally randomly acquired barriers of entry to get to it, and those barriers just happen to add up to a filter that selects people who are uniquely good at screaming about covid for prolonged periods without fully breaking down, and who are ideologically predisposed to trying to take care of each other. This weird social evolution on computers produced a durable, smart group who want to work together, and that's a strong set of attributes no matter what you're trying to get done.

I am hoping that zoomers not understanding the internet is just right now they are doing cooler things and when they have 3 kids and a mortgage they will have their own forums to post in (I mean I would welcome them here but I doubt they will want to post with a bunch of literal grandparents by that point; I mean my grandpa actually was a pretty early adopter and gets the net just fine but we don't ever go to the same spaces in a post AOL world. It does go to your point though that having been a 90s internet user he still mostly has his head with how to process information on the net, whereas my mom has gone nuts and my stepmom is like a prototype MAGA anyway).

Your post is good.

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 26, 2021

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

first time I’ve seen someone make ramen in a toilet…

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Ruggan posted:

I used to make ramen in the coffee pots in hotels but they got wise to that and switched to those stupid keurigs so you have to improvise

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ruggan posted:

thats rope worm from your ivermectin, hope it cleared your sinuses

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Just got a kind email from the city saying I don't have to be there to hold the hands of my staff as they open up their laptops and hit "on" when they move into a different room in the same building and it's okay to just be available for remote support. Tfw cynical government IT shows a lot more concern for me than the people I actually work with.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

the government suggesting 6 month boosters is not to save lives, the vaccine after 6 months is still very effective at that.

it’s because they got so loving hard at the idea of a 80% VE-against-infection vaccine being “close enough” to sterilizing immunity that they decided we will open Biden in perpetuity, and so people need those boosters so that the surge back to 80%+ VE will once again be good enough to not have to mandate any NPIs or shut down Applebee’s
or do more than cry about a “pandemic of the unvaccinated” as kids continue to count less than farmed minks or some poo poo

e: also so they don’t have to go through the taxing mental process of approving a delta vax instead of just boosting with wild type or whatever

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

:911:

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

A Gin Palace posted:

late but my school is giving everyone who gets vaccinated $125. that's not enough for like even a single freshman chemistry textbook but whatever. yeehaw texas

Lol, I think I work at your school.

A Gin Palace posted:

First day of the new college semester!!!!!! woooooo superspreader event let's goooooo

i give it 3 weeks max before my university shuts down and goes online again. our uni subreddit (i know, i know) is saying the uni is probably waiting until tuition and housing cost is locked in so people have to give them money to cancel in person classes, because university administrators care more about money than anything else

Ok, I definitely work at your school. Fun forum lore, the guy who made the Awful fantasy romhack of Ff6 went here as well.

Joey Steel fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 26, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I desperately want to read this report but I don’t have $5500. does someone work somewhere that does have this princely sum? this is incredible content

METHODOLOGY

II. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

1. MARKET OVERVIEW

Influencer Market Insights

World Market Trajectories

Rise in COVID-19 Cases Drives the Demand for Cadaver Bags

How Covid-19 Pandemic has Shattered the Global Economy

EXHIBIT 1: Top Countries Affected by COVID-19 Outbreak: Total Cases and Cases Per Million Population

Rising COVID-19 Death Toll Results in Spike in Cadaver Bags Demand

Total Number of Deaths due to COVID-19 from June 25 to July 12, 2020

COVID-19 Risk of Fatality by Comorbidity

Pandemic Response Plans Spur the Market for Cadaver Bags

Conceptual Designed Body Bags to Prevent Infections

Developed Regions Remain Primary Revenue Contributors

Developing Regions Exhibit Immense Growth Potential

2. FOCUS ON SELECT PLAYERS

SELECT WORLD BRANDS

3. MARKET TRENDS & DRIVERS

Burgeoning Geriatric Population - A Key Demand Driver for Cadaver Bags

EXHIBIT 9: Global Population Statistics for the 65+ Age Group
in Million by Geographic Region for the Years 2019, 2025, 2035 and 2050

COVID-19 Deaths by Age Group: As Reported from New York City Health (as of May 13th 2020)

Increasing Prevalence of Chronic & Lifestyle Diseases to Propel Market Growth

EXHIBIT 2: Hypertension Prevalence (%) Worldwide by Region in Male and Females Aged 25+ Years

EXHIBIT 3: Percentage of Hypertension-Associated Deaths in
Various Non-Communicable Diseases (NCD)

EXHIBIT 4: Global Prevalence of COPD by Age Group (2016):
Percentage of Men and Women Affected by the Condition

EXHIBIT 5: Mortality Rates of COPD ('000s) by Select Geographic Region

Increasing Incidence of Infectious Diseases Results in
Increasing Number of Deaths

List of Infectious Disease and Respective Guidelines while
Handling Cadavers in England and Wales

Growing Incidence of Hospital Acquired Infections Propels
Market Growth

Increase in Natural Disasters and the Associated Deaths Drives the Demand for Cadaver Bags

EXHIBIT 6: Global Number of Extreme Weather Events & Losses (In US$ Billion) for the Years 2000, 2010, 2018, and 2022

Global Number of Losses due to Extreme Weather Events for the Years 2000, 2010, 2018, and 2022

Increasing Investments in Healthcare Infrastructure Enhance
Demand for Cadaver Bags

EXHIBIT 7: World Healthcare Expenditure (In US$ Trillion) for
the Years for 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023

Rising Deaths due to Cancer Spurs the Demand for Cadaver Bags

Total Number of Cancer Deaths by Type: 2018

Cancer Mortality by Region: 2018

EXHIBIT 8: Age-Standardized Incidence and Mortality Rates of All Cancers (per 100000 Population) by Region: 2018

Emergence of Purpose-Made Non-Porous Body Bags to Contain, Store and Transport Corpses

Redesigned Cadaver Bags Improve Identification of Victims in
War and Natural Disaster

Cadaver Bags with Effective Designs

Cling Film Plastic Wrap Emerge as Alternative to Cadaver Bags in Large-Scale Disasters

https://www.reportlinker.com/p05896564/Global-Cadaver-Bags-Industry.html?utm_source=GNW

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 26, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Flu usually kills about .1% of people and its something we've been fine with. Covid is at about 2% in the general population in the US and close to flu level in vaccinated people.
Like "if it saves lives we should lockdown" could apply to flu season as well, and honestly there are better public policy efforts that could be taken instead, especially in a county like the US with next to no social safety net.

But people have smothered that discussion in the crib with moral outrage that we might apply a cost benefit analysis to something.

quote:

At what rate does significant health problems become a motivating factor though? If we can agree that covid and the flu have different but existent side effect rates post infection, there is a point where your risk tolerance has placed "its ok to lock down here, but might be excessive to lock down there". Especially now with vaccinated cases showing signs of greatly lowering severity of both the disease and long covid symptoms.

quote:

My kid (7, now 8) has been back in person sing the second semester of last year, the covid fear kinda sucks but the social isolation of a full year of school was definitely taking its toll on her mental health. If a vaccine was available we'd get one, but the risk of her dying from the disease is incredibly remote at that age and the car ride to school is probably equally as dangerous.

quote:

I’m just asking where on the line between flu/h1n1 and covid is a more serious response justified and below it it is not? Is that a question that can be asked?

quote:

imagine a hypothetical third disease that’s not as deadly as covid but deadlier than the flu. There’s a point most people can agree we aren’t shutting things down, despite the suffering and harm this hypothetical disease might cause if it’s not sufficiently bad enough. It has nothing to do with minimizing covid as the flu.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

holy shitballs, 1/3 of new cases in kentucky are in kids. i.. uh.. hope that doesn't become a national trend

*monkey paw curls*

*becomes worldwide trend*

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

imagine a *cough* hypothetical third *cough* disease that’s not as deadly as covid but *cough, cough* deadlier than the flu. There’s a point most people can agree we aren’t shutting things down, despite the suffering and harm this *violent coughing* hypothetical disease might cause if it’s not sufficiently bad enough. It has nothing to do with minimizing covid as the flu. *cough*

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Crazyweasel posted:

the government suggesting 6 month boosters is not to save lives, the vaccine after 6 months is still very effective at that.

it’s because they got so loving hard at the idea of a 80% VE-against-infection vaccine being “close enough” to sterilizing immunity that they decided we will open Biden in perpetuity, and so people need those boosters so that the surge back to 80%+ VE will once again be good enough to not have to mandate any NPIs or shut down Applebee’s
or do more than cry about a “pandemic of the unvaccinated” as kids continue to count less than farmed minks or some poo poo

e: also so they don’t have to go through the taxing mental process of approving a delta vax instead of just boosting with wild type or whatever

Yeah this seems to be the path of least resistance

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you prevent a disease that's letting the disease win.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

Do not use in horses intended for human consumption.

Do not use in horses. Intended for human consumption!

How many horses are raised to be eaten anyway? Is that like a common thing?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Crazyweasel posted:

has there been any announcement of any of the big pharma companies working a delta targeted vax?

call it "vaccine+"

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

Rick posted:

I'm now on my second respirator purchase of the last month and I already had one. That 3m clicky gots me saying "but yeah what about when I only need the mask for the period I'mm picking up food from the drive-thru window" so I got a 6500OL (helps that I accidentally bought the wrong filters for the click at first so I now have some other filters begging to be used). I started using my Cambridge masks again when delta popped up but that's hard to breathe in, and I almost like breathing in the respirator (that might be more of a commentary about how bad my lungs are at the moment in general (rips @ me))

I am hoping that zoomers not understanding the internet is just right now they are doing cooler things and when they have 3 kids and a mortgage they will have their own forums to post in (I mean I would welcome them here but I doubt they will want to post with a bunch of literal grandparents by that point; I mean my grandpa actually was a pretty early adopter and gets the net just fine but we don't ever go to the same spaces in a post AOL world. It does go to your point though that having been a 90s internet user he still mostly has his head with how to process information on the net, whereas my mom has gone nuts and my stepmom is like a prototype MAGA anyway).

Your post is good.

To add some perspective: I am a zoomer. Lol if you think people in my generation will (or believe we will) ever, ever have 3 kids and a mortgage. Almost all of us are going to be stuck in debt hell for the rest of our lives and will rent lovely apartments which will be flooded by ever-rising seas when we're 50. We are totally hosed, and I think a lot of zoomer internet culture is just built off of this nihilistic nothing-matters-poo poo's-hosed kind of attitude. We use the internet as a vehicle to drown ourselves in escapism, because we need something to distract ourselves from our futures. I don't exactly think this is healthy, but I hope it's at least understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alright we've removed enough boomers

We can stop now