Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Alright we've removed enough boomers

We can stop now

Shouldn't have made that wish on the monkey paw... *Joker laughs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Vox Nihili posted:

We can stop now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkU9oVGr1KE

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

Jfc you dumb rear end in a top hat doctors a patient having a headache doesn't mean they have a loving venous thromboembolism how do you even jump to that being your first diagnosis? Good loving god hey how about you do something about their uncontrolled diabetes and stage 3 renal failure and see if that does anything for the headache.

Hospitals are full cause doctors don't understand KISS applies to medicine too. You're not dr. House, your patient doesn't have some rare hard to diagnosis disease that you're going to crack the case and be the hero.

It's funny because even in the show House M.D. there's a huge running gag about how it's not this one relatively rare disease. That and something about confusing horses for zebras.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

some of you just about missed it

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

How many horses are raised to be eaten anyway? Is that like a common thing?

2013 UK horsemeat scandal

iamjohnsalt
Dec 6, 2017

nomad2020 posted:

It's funny because even in the show House M.D. there's a huge running gag about how it's not this one relatively rare disease. That and something about confusing horses for zebras.

if you hear hoofbeats think horses not zebras :)

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

last time to make plans

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Vox Nihili posted:

We can stop now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVDH3MX4MYI

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

A Gin Palace posted:

To add some perspective: I am a zoomer. Lol if you think people in my generation will (or believe we will) ever, ever have 3 kids and a mortgage. Almost all of us are going to be stuck in debt hell for the rest of our lives and will rent lovely apartments which will be flooded by ever-rising seas when we're 50. We are totally hosed, and I think a lot of zoomer internet culture is just built off of this nihilistic nothing-matters-poo poo's-hosed kind of attitude. We use the internet as a vehicle to drown ourselves in escapism, because we need something to distract ourselves from our futures. I don't exactly think this is healthy, but I hope it's at least understandable.

you're being pretty optimistic about being able to rent an ocean view apartment

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

Joey Steel posted:

Lol, I think I work at your school.

Ok, I definitely work at your school. Fun forum lore, the guy who made the Awful fantasy romhack of Ff6 went here as well.

I did not know this part of [Texas public university that isn't UT austin, UT san antonio, or TAMU]'s history. I'm not at all surprised.

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

jetz0r posted:

you're being pretty optimistic about being able to rent an ocean view apartment

i was more thinking those lovely condos in florida or houston that collapse and kill everyone inside them sometimes

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

all I want is to breathe

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

How many horses are raised to be eaten anyway? Is that like a common thing?

Coming from a country that eats horses, it's more of a "waste not, want not" thing as a byproduct of regular riding- and racehorse breeding.

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013
also "ocean view" is going to be anywhere in florida/ anywhere in houston, which is inexplicably one of the fastest growing cities in the country even though it is slowly sinking into a rising sea

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

everything is going to be ok

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Schnorkles posted:

a sidenote: do you know what strange psycopathic behavior i haven't heard of at all lately?

people wandering around and coughing on poo poo and saying they've got COVID to get even with people they don't like

Not gunna lie, I feel great when I cough even slightly at work now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

(I can't get no) Ventilation
Paint it Black (my lung xrays)
It's only horse paste but I like it
Waiting on a vent
19th Nervous system breakdown

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

A Gin Palace posted:

To add some perspective: I am a zoomer. Lol if you think people in my generation will (or believe we will) ever, ever have 3 kids and a mortgage. Almost all of us are going to be stuck in debt hell for the rest of our lives and will rent lovely apartments which will be flooded by ever-rising seas when we're 50. We are totally hosed, and I think a lot of zoomer internet culture is just built off of this nihilistic nothing-matters-poo poo's-hosed kind of attitude. We use the internet as a vehicle to drown ourselves in escapism, because we need something to distract ourselves from our futures. I don't exactly think this is healthy, but I hope it's at least understandable.

I used to have to jiggle the receiver on my parent's rotary phone just to get my dial-up working long enough so that I could post on mIRC about george bush doing 9/11.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

(I can't get no) Ventilation
Paint it Black (my lung xrays)
It's only horse paste but I like it
Waiting on a vent
19th Nervous system breakdown

Ain't nobody slowing down no way
Everybody's stepping on their accelerator
Don't matter where you are
Everybody's gonna need a ventilator

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zwsl-SuOEXc

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

spaceblancmange posted:

everything is going to be ok

get the gently caress out of here

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

I used to have to jiggle the receiver on my parent's rotary phone just to get my dial-up working long enough so that I could post on mIRC about george bush doing 9/11.

i don't believe i remember the blade runner monologue being like this but ok

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wow - this is kind of an important detail that Pfizer left out of their earnings report:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/25/us/politics/pfizer-vaccine-booster-trial-results.html

quote:

Pfizer and BioNTech said on Wednesday they were now applying to the Food and Drug Administration for supplemental approval of a coronavirus vaccine booster shot for those aged 16 and up, and will submit all their supporting data by the end of this week. The move came as the companies said that a third shot of the vaccine sharply increased the levels of antibodies against the virus.

The companies conducted a study of 306 volunteers who received a booster shot about five to eight months after their second shot. Researchers found that the level of antibodies that block the coronavirus jumped more than three times higher than the level after the second dose.

The side effects of a third injection were about the same as after the initial two doses, the companies said. The underlying data was not included in the news release, nor were the dates or location of the study specified. The companies said they were preparing a scientific publication describing the research.

quote:

Pfizer executives presented an early look at their booster data on July 23, during their second-quarter earnings call. In a smaller study, they found that antibody levels dropped markedly in the months following a second dose. But those levels jumped back up after a third dose. When researchers expanded their focus to a larger group of subjects, they continued to find a strong effect from the boosters.

Antibodies that can neutralize the coronavirus are only one kind of defense our immune systems use to fight it. The new study did not include details about other defenses provoked by the vaccine, such as immune cells trained to kill infected cells.

The participants in the new booster study were between the ages of 18 and 55. It was not immediately clear why the study did not include older people. Volunteers were followed for a median period of 2.6 months.

:wtf:

So there's no booster trial/data for old people?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

A Gin Palace posted:

fam this is legit every generation before you in their 20s since the 60s

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

Chuka Umana posted:

climate change didnt hit them in their 40s though did it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I feel like I am doing the right thing but my brain is on fire right now.

also now I gotta take down my PROUD UNION HOME sign I think. can't be a poser.

are you still proud you were in a union? then you're a proud union home

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Chuka Umana posted:

Do you believe current generations are better off than they were in the 60s

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

A Gin Palace posted:

climate change didnt hit them in their 40s though did it

in the 60s everyone thought the world was about to be destroyed by overpopulation and then nuclear winter and the ozone layer in the 80s

i think every generation recently has had a latent fear of societal collapse.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

ben shapino posted:

covid is over

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013
like lol boomers were in their 20s in the 60s. their culture was nihilistic, but at least they believed they'd like, idk be able to find stable jobs someday and not have to become climate refugees. when i'm 50 half of louisiana will be underwater lol

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

efb a while ago ;(

WrasslorMonkey fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 26, 2021

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ben shapino posted:

He lives in an Aussie state that has had like 2,000 total cases since March 2020 so he's correct for himself at least.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Casey Finnigan posted:

god drat what did the kids ever do to us

uhh, the question is what the hell did they ever do for number

did you ever think about that

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

Chuka Umana posted:

in the 60s everyone thought the world was about to be destroyed by overpopulation and then nuclear winter and the ozone layer in the 80s

i think every generation recently has had a latent fear of societal collapse.

i wonder if theres a word that describes this problem. capitalism maybe? surely not, history is over,

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Do you believe current generations are better off than they were in the 60s

yes i believe we are in a better shape than the time where you could be lobotimized for being gay

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Ruggan posted:

first time I’ve seen someone make ramen in a toilet…

abby did it first

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Rick posted:

I'm now on my second respirator purchase of the last month and I already had one. That 3m clicky gots me saying "but yeah what about when I only need the mask for the period I'mm picking up food from the drive-thru window" so I got a 6500OL (helps that I accidentally bought the wrong filters for the click at first so I now have some other filters begging to be used). I started using my Cambridge masks again when delta popped up but that's hard to breathe in, and I almost like breathing in the respirator (that might be more of a commentary about how bad my lungs are at the moment in general (rips @ me))

They're the easiest masks to breathe through, the secure click feels almost as easy as no mask. It's because the filters have a LOT more surface area than a normal mask can possibly have. And they can't be sucked against your mouth like a cloth or surgical mask can be.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Vox Nihili posted:

We can stop now

Hell no we haven't, they're still in every branch of government in every state

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

Chuka Umana posted:

yes i believe we are in a better shape than the time where you could be lobotimized for being gay

the social change we've got since then (believe me, as a transgender woman i am deeply, deeply aware of this, although my state government sure seems to think i should still be lobotomized) has been great, but it's come at the same time as a massive backslide in the economy and a wealth redistribution to the capitalist class of a scale not seen since the 19th century. It's nice to not be bludgeoned in the street, but also people back then could get a stable union factory job and survive with a reasonably comfortable middle class existence. This is now impossible.
edit: note that the nicer economy of the 60s was only nicer for white people, things have always been poo poo if you're anyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Chuka Umana posted:

*Looks at conversion therapy cults camps* :hmmyes: