Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i feel like a content update to that game is like, 6 months too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Tweet's gone but heres one from another Volition dev:

https://twitter.com/jasonlblair/status/1430588615525027843

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I don't think it has been posted yet, so Humble just did a good thing
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/best-of-stealth-bundle

$12 for Hitman 1&2 Complete Editions, the latest Styx, Aragami, Echo, Ghost of a Tale and some other stuff.
Outrageous value, but stealth game lovers will already have most of them if not all :unsmith:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I beat the campaigns and did a round of Horde Mode in Aliens: Fireteam Elite.

I don't play enough of these games to be too nuanced about my thoughts. It's been mostly pretty fun - the weapons are suave, blasting xenomorphs feels righteous, the environments are fairly varied. Like, it's been an enjoyable experience and even though I can't say it's going to go down in history as a classic, it's one of the better interactive electronic representations of the Aliens franchise. I think the price tag is too high but when it goes on sale it's not a bad experience if you like Aliens - it's a solid $15 game imo. It's definitely a B-Movie action flick of a videogame - enjoyable if you like the vibe - and the xenos/other enemies never feel "scary" or even particularly threatening so don't go in expecting anything like Alien Isolation. All of that being said, it got steadily less exciting as I got better at it.

The negatives:
The special xenos all kind of blend together as "stronger xeno with more HP" because they all look so similar - they have different statures or postures but they're all xenomorphs at the end of the day. So they just kind of blend in as part of the horde.

The The non-xeno enemies are kinda ehhh..., there are rogue combat synths which feel like generic cover-based-shooter enemies and fighting them is the weakest part of the game IMO (luckily they only show up in 2 campaign missions) and then there are Human zombies and crawling exploding Flood-like enemies created by an Engineer pathogen which also only show up in one section of the campaign. The second (spoilered) group is better because thematically they feel like fighting xenos instead of like generic cover shooter enemies.

The whole game is very very easy - the vast majority of the combat (and 100% of the combat in horde mode) takes place at entrenched positions where you have an infinite ammo resupply box, so no matter what weapon you're using - be it flamethrower, rocket launcher, grenade launcher, smartgun, etc. you can spam it to your heart's content without worrying about ammo. On top of this all of the classes have two active abilities and while some of them are pretty disappointing (Demolisher, the heavy weapons person, gets a shoulder-mounted launcher on a medium cooldown that's no more impressive than their heavy weapons and a PBAOE stun/knockback which you're rarely close enough to use), others are just too strong - Technicians get an easily movable, 100% uptime, unlimited duration, infinite ammo turret. This would be super strong even if the game wasn't mostly about defending chokepoints in shooting galleries, but combined with that leads to most people in public games playing technicians. Oh yeah on top of this literally everyone can bring consumable items into each mission and they can bring 6 limted-ammo turrets (plus potentially find more inside the mission). So a team of 3 technicians can start off horde mode with 21 turrets placed :v:

The horde survival mode is only 10 waves long and there's not much content overall. There are 12 missions, a fairly barebones horde survival mode where you only fight Xenos and only for 10 waves, and... that's it.

Some of the weapons just don't feel good. There are two grenade launchers. One has a larger magazine and all of its grenades explode on impact. The other has a smaller magazine, all of its grenades have a short fuse, and it deals slightly more damage. The one with impact explosions is like, infinitely better because xenos move around so quickly.

And the biggest negative imo and the thing that drags the game down the most: Xenomorph pathfinding is very rudimentary. Like, let's say you have a chokepoint and they have 3 hallways they can approach from. In each hallway they seem to have a static navigation mesh, so instead of crawling all over the goddamn place they come at you in what amounts to four single-file lines (ceiling from the left, ceiling from the right, ground from the left, ground from the right) and then charge down the hallway at you in those single-file lines. This means that to defend a chokepoint, you just need to train your gun on those four spots. To make it even worse, they seem to spawn in pairs - so it will go like:
Xeno from the left ceiling, then the right ceiling like half a second later.
Then xeno from the left floor, then the right floor half a second later.
Then left ceiling, right ceiling.
Then left floor, right floor.
Which leads to the very shooting gallery feeling of not fighting truly dynamic enemies. To be fair I feel this way about every single one of these co-op horde shooter games I've played so :shrug: But xenomorphs more than pretty much any other sci-fi enemy feels like they would do the exact literal opposite of this.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 25, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is Hitman 3 coming to Steam eventually?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

explosivo posted:

Is Hitman 3 coming to Steam eventually?

Presumably, there is no reason to think that it isn't but they haven't confirmed officially.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 25, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hub Cat posted:

I don't think they've confirmed a date or anything but there is no reason to think that it isn't.

They've been unusually quiet but that is probably in the terms of the deal they made so you're right. We're coming up to a year out so hopefully there's some good news soon.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Didn't it come out in like January or February? We're still like 4-5 months out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Dumb question, but the whole Epic "jail" thing is always just for a year or some shorter timed period right? There aren't games that are literally Epic exclusive like you have console exclusives?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hub Cat posted:

Didn't it come out in like January or February? We're still like 4-5 months out.

Oh, dang.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

pentyne posted:

Dumb question, but the whole Epic "jail" thing is always just for a year or some shorter timed period right? There aren't games that are literally Epic exclusive like you have console exclusives?

So far.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

pentyne posted:

I general yes, but think I heard there are a few true exclusives as well as stuff like Ubisoft where you can get it on other stores but not on Steam.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

pentyne posted:

There is a single digit(so far) number of games that Epic has paid for entirely or is publishing that will likely remain permanent exclusives for at least the foreseeable future.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 25, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hub Cat posted:

There is a single digit(so far) number of games that Epic has paid for entirely or is publishing that that they will likely retain permanent exclusivity for at least the foreseeable future.

They're getting more into publishing in the future, they've signed deals with Remedy, Playdead and genDESIGN to publish their upcoming projects. The games they're working on haven't been announced yet though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Watching a bunch of Aliens Fireteam last night, two things stood out to me. One is the music is completely out of place. It's like they tried to take the quiet, atmospheric flute based stuff from Alien/Aliens, but ratchet it up into action flute music. It's not bad, but it does not fit the combat at all.

Second was how surprised your handler is every time you see aliens. Enter a room, "Watch out team, we've got xenos here!". Enter the very next room, "Oh my god! Watch out guys, there's aliens here!". Next room, "Team, you ain't gonna believe what just showed up! Xenos!"

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Hub Cat posted:

There is a single digit(so far) number of games that Epic has paid for entirely or is publishing that will likely remain permanent exclusives for at least the foreseeable future.

One of them being Sabre Interactive's coop zombie shooter, World War Z.

But the sequel, World War Z: Aftermath has a page om Steam and is coming out in a month:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/699130/World_War_Z_Aftermath/

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Known lifetime exclusives are the aforementioned World War Z, Ooblets, 10 Crowns, Oddworld: Soulstorm, and Auto Chess.
There are some also "exclusives" that are more "not on Steam" like Ubisoft stuff.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Would it be fitting to change the thread name to something that honours idolninja? It always makes me smile to know a goon getting selected like that to work on some amazing AAA titles.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hogama posted:

Known lifetime exclusives are the aforementioned World War Z, Ooblets, 10 Crowns, Oddworld: Soulstorm, and Auto Chess.
There are some also "exclusives" that are more "not on Steam" like Ubisoft stuff.
I think Solar Ash by the Hyper Light Drifter team is too https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/solar-ash

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The 7th Guest posted:

Framerate issues aside, I expect this game will be the most talked about after today's Gamescom event unless Elden Ring shows up. there's just so much going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaRbQHlegaM

Holy poo poo this looks incredible (and I don't believe for a second it will play at all smoothly), but goddamn it looks like a blas-

The 7th Guest posted:

e: it's an MMO btw lol
:negative:

Flavahbeast posted:

Tweet's gone but heres one from another Volition dev:

https://twitter.com/jasonlblair/status/1430588615525027843

drat, :rip: they always seemed like such a nice person. I came to SR2 relatively late and I think even then Gentlemen of the Row was considered integral to the actual playing of it since the SR2 PC release was so incredibly buggy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/LumpyTheCook/status/1430641366653153280

Huh...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The future of video games are people getting mad on twitter about out-of-context clickbait from machine-written articles. Bots yelling at bots, yelling at bots.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The future of video games are people getting mad on twitter about out-of-context clickbait from machine-written articles. Bots yelling at bots, yelling at bots.

:hai:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think I'm okay with being a crime start-up in the GANG VIDEO GAME after becoming president, defeating alien invaders, and then restoring a destroyed Earth through time travel with my best friend Jane Austen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Echoing the post earlier that said the game gave them a Watch_Dogs 2 vibe, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since I really liked that game. If they are cutting back from the (fun!) insanity of 3 and 4 and going for more a 2 vibe I'll be really happy. 2 was the best and getting a modern version of that would be cool. Plus it sounds like we'll have the same hyper-customization available for our version of the Boss in this game, which is always fun.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jerusalem posted:

Echoing the post earlier that said the game gave them a Watch_Dogs 2 vibe, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since I really liked that game. If they are cutting back from the (fun!) insanity of 3 and 4 and going for more a 2 vibe I'll be really happy. 2 was the best and getting a modern version of that would be cool. Plus it sounds like we'll have the same hyper-customization available for our version of the Boss in this game, which is always fun.

i can't imagine the Boss as looking like anyone other than Saxton Hale and i don't know why

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You were the President of the United States in THE GANG VIDEO GAME 4.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'd be fine with a return to 2'd pseudo seriousness, but gently caress if that rendered video wasn't just plastered with the dumb poo poo people kinda hated or absolutely loved about 3 and 4.

Enjoy our serious story but also the pastel pinks and oranges while cars and bikes do impossible flippy poo poo across the action space.

I personally was fine with 3 and 4. They were pretty honest and up front with what they were. If you're going to turn up the dial, turn it all the way up to 11, not keep it about a 5 or 6.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My problem with 3 was less with what it had and more with what it didn’t have because it felt like half of game was missing.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Nevermind anything I said about Saint's Row 2 being pseudo serious. It had the poo poo truck missions.

I just want that now but with widescreen support please.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alright, here are some games that I'm pretty sure are coming out in September but have no official date.

Toy Soldiers HD

I think this is the second Toy Soldiers remake? There was one in 2016 that everyone just kind of ignored I think.

Get in the Car, Loser!

The latest game from Christine Love (Ladykiller in a Bind, Analog, Hate Plus) is a lesbian road-trip RPG with narrative choices. The UI looks chaotic, the colors are sometimes all over the place, the party menu shows your health as a percentage... it could be as much a hot mess as the characters, but every one of Love's games is a bit of a rollercoaster ride so fans are used to it. The image I posted is pretty cool, right? Well here's the battle UI:

Maybe it's not as weird in motion, my eyes don't know where to focus though!

Minecraft Dungeons

Basically Diablo for kids and people who are fine with a more casual ARPG. This has been on Gamepass for a while but it's now coming to Steam.

Ultra Age ($30)

I actually forgot about this one last time. Ultra Age is a spectacle arena fighter along the lines of DMC, although a lower budget/scale game. The eShop says September 9th, so I guess that goes for all platforms? I'd probably wait for a sale on this one.

There are a TON of games in the Steam queue across the next month, but the ones above at least said September. Some games that are in the queue for September but have a more nebulous target (like Q3, Fall, 2021, "Coming Soon", etc):

The Lightbringer
Phantom Breaker: Omnia
Whisper Trip X
Crysis Remastered
Severed Steel
TOEM
Potion Craft
Industria
Teacup
Whateverland
Scene Investigators (this one is interesting to me, a crime investigation game by the Painscreek Killings dev)
Dominion (based on the board game)
Pupperazzi
Bear & Breakfast
Chasing Static
Final Fantasy V
Fight Knight
Aeon Drive
TMNT: Shredder's Revenge

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 26, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Payday today so I picked up The Ascent for playing with friends and Chernobylite for a new good single player FPS. Best two games I've bought in a long time.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Posted this in the Steam Trade thread but it's kinda dead nowadays. Offer here still stands:

The Joe Man posted:

Anyone want to split this bundle with me $6/$6? I only want Ghost of a Tale and Echo, the rest is yours:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/best-of-stealth-bundle

Fawf and I are going to split it, thanks folks.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 26, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The 7th Guest posted:

e: it's an MMO btw lol

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo this looks incredible (and I don't believe for a second it will play at all smoothly), but goddamn it looks like a blas-

:negative:

https://twitter.com/DokeVGame/status/1430678343150555136

Was. Both that and Crimson Desert have pivoted to single player with possible multi player bits to them.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Does Black Desert still have the godawful gatcha mechanics? That would be the deal-breaker for me.

E: Ah, the upcoming Crimson Desert, not Black Desert. I'm still wary, but that's more promising.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 26, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

https://twitter.com/DokeVGame/status/1430678343150555136

Was. Both that and Crimson Desert have pivoted to single player with possible multi player bits to them.

:shepspends:

I.... I might play this. I mean, it'll run like utter dogshit on my computer, but it just looks too loving bizarre not to.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Its amazing that Halo got Gamescom's best microsoft game of 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Stickman posted:

Does Black Desert still have the godawful gatcha mechanics? That would be the deal-breaker for me.

BDO never had a gacha, unless you count your equipment enhance success which uh, yeah..oof those.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
How far along in development are those games to be making such drastic design changes? That's usually a disaster, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

The 7th Guest posted:

Alright, here are some games that I'm pretty sure are coming out in September but have no official date.

Toy Soldiers HD

I think this is the second Toy Soldiers remake? There was one in 2016 that everyone just kind of ignored I think.

That one spent like 3 years in early access and then they annouced they were done with it and left it in semi-broken state. It still has game breaking bugs. And the multiplayer never worked.