Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I went to the grocery store and there were about 75 people there. 2 people were wearing masks, including me.
Sounds like it’s time to join respirator crew if you haven’t already, my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zugzwang posted:

Sounds like it’s time to join respirator crew if you haven’t already, my dude.

I do actually have one. Although, I have no self esteem and am worried about looking like a psycho. I think I'll just be staying in from now on except for the grocery store or other chore runs.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

low key sex master posted:

Honestly I really do want to move but the places I want to move to are infested with COVID, except like Vermont

I guess I'm stuck in VA for the foreseeable future

Sadly, every state in the country is COVID infested, including Vermont. Less so than other states, but well above the threshold of "COVID-infested"...

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 26, 2021

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

I do actually have one. Although, I have no self esteem and am worried about looking like a psycho. I think I'll just be staying in from now on except for the grocery store or other chore runs.
I hear you. It definitely feels weird at first. One of the few nice things about being perma-masked though is that nobody knows it’s you anyway :buddy:

Related: last week I was cleaning the house, and someone kept pounding on the door. I couldn’t find any normal masks to wear, so on went the respirator. It was somebody (maskless) selling something, and he looked incredibly surprised and took like 10 fast steps backwards when I answered the door looking like Bane. It was funny as hell.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1429932401006886917?s=20

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1430656974878920704?s=20

https://twitter.com/NotHoodlum/status/1430649356806410240?s=20

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

stab posted:

My fav is the quebec chuds bitching about the vaccine passport and demanding gyms refund their gym memberships since they're not allowed in to them anymore

Gotta get SWOLE before covid makes my lungs swollen i guess
I fuckin hate Kuh-bec...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaekWUI6LrM

(everything I know about Canada comes from that show, is there a large anti-vaccine subset in Kwee-bec specifically?)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The Conversation had a breakdown of the outcomes of Australia's covid cases. It's probably quite a good indication because we've been doing a huge amount of contact tracing so it's unlikely that too many asymptomatic and mild cases are going undetected and skewing the results. Since it's data from Jan 2021 it will be influenced by the vaccination of a lot of older and more vulnerable people, I imagine it would look a lot worse for a completely unvaccinated population.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Ccs posted:

I downloaded the vaccine passport app today and am very much looking forward to sitting on a patio of a restaurant where everyone is vaxxed come September and the passport’s enforcement.

2nd close fav:

I'M GOING TO BOYCOTT!!!!

:eng101: actually sir you're not allowed in so you can't boycott

stab
Feb 12, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I fuckin hate Kuh-bec...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaekWUI6LrM

(everything I know about Canada comes from that show, is there a large anti-vaccine subset in Kwee-bec specifically?)

Actually has the highest % of eligible vaxxed in Canada actually. (Over 82% last time I checked)

The subset of chuds resides in the land of America North (Alberta and Saskatchewan)

But chuds live everywhere, and chuds are dumb.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

stab posted:

Actually has the highest % of eligible vaxxed in Canada actually. (Over 82% last time I checked)

The subset of chuds resides in the land of America North (Alberta and Saskatchewan)

But chuds live everywhere, and chuds are dumb.
God those are numbers any of the US states can only dream of...

quick edit except maybe Hawaii I think, last I saw they were 70%+

edit * 2: fully vaccinated Vermont is the absolute highest at 68% :911: :gonk:

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/covid-vaccine-tracker-states

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 26, 2021

stab
Feb 12, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

God those are numbers any of the US states can only dream of...

quick edit except maybe Hawaii I think, last I saw they were 70%+

3rd fav: when the 18% chuds yell at Legault (the premier) saying to count his days since HE WILL LOSE THE ELECTION!!!!111

Not understanding statistics that 18% for a Premier with popularity ratings in the 70's AND already have a parliamentary majority.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I swear Doug Ford is gonna lock us all back down before he does a vax passport system. I just want to be able to play hockey with my vaccinated pals

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

gently caress this guy, but why the gently caress are jail punishments so random.

like pedos and white terrorists get 1 week of time out and a 50$ bail.

but this guy gets 30 years and 10 000$ bail.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

PhazonLink posted:

gently caress this guy, but why the gently caress are jail punishments so random.

His mugshot looks white, but if you listen to the audio you'll note a bit of accent.

There's your answer.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

just pretend you're doing cyberpunk cosplay

and since it's 2021 and we're in the middle of a plague during an information-age dystopia it's not cosplay and you don't even have to pretend!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

PhazonLink posted:

lmao you think he's going to get 30 years

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

PhazonLink posted:

broward likes to give people insane charges so they can keep them on probation for a decade as a way to collect money.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

PhazonLink posted:

Pedos and white terrorists are mostly conservatives and the republicans look after their own (except for all the ones who believe their poo poo and eat horse paste)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

PhazonLink posted:

"Facing" = theoretical maximum but in reality they will fine him 500 bucks and give him a restraining order.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

prom candy posted:

I swear Doug Ford is gonna lock us all back down before he does a vax passport system. I just want to be able to play hockey with my vaccinated pals

It's a massively popular initiative based on polls and all the business organizations are super pushing it.

But it'll lose him the crazy idiot vote so of course he won't do it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

On the flip side, if you have uncontrolled spread of Delta then a shutdown will help control it while a vax passport system will not and will probably just contribute to breakthrough transmissions.

E: Unless it means that unvaccinated people will be prevented from doing things they can currently do?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 26, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My overly impressionable cop friend who moved to Texas because the rural Oregon coast was “too liberal” posted an Instagram story that said “Kate Brown wants you to call the police on your neighbors who don’t wear masks, don’t do that, the police have better things to worry about”

Except Kate Brown was describing it the same way people who have loud parties have the cops called on them if people ignore mask mandates in public

Oh and it was last November when this was said, so I guess my friend saw some old rear end Facebook post and got in a tizzy

It sucks seeing friends disappear into a malaise of social media cop-brain Covid denialism

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I started reading an article I suspected was antivax out of curiosity because it was supposedly well researched and well written. The first line used the term "decimate" incorrectly, but I thought that was just me being picky so I kept on with it, then in the next paragraph it started talking about Native Americans performing child sacrifice. Guys, I'm starting to think even the best antivaxers are not the critical thinking geniuses they claim to be.

Edit: this article is just really really bad. Apparently over 15 million people have been infected in New York City.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 26, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gay picnic defence posted:

The Conversation had a breakdown of the outcomes of Australia's covid cases. It's probably quite a good indication because we've been doing a huge amount of contact tracing so it's unlikely that too many asymptomatic and mild cases are going undetected and skewing the results. Since it's data from Jan 2021 it will be influenced by the vaccination of a lot of older and more vulnerable people, I imagine it would look a lot worse for a completely unvaccinated population.

Their data ends on Aug 1 and the huge majority of delta infections in Australia happened after that so this graph is already out of date

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just saw on my local news that 1 in 5 cases are now children. I didn't hear the age range.

Is this true? I can't find info on a quick google search and I'm lazy.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I just saw on my local news that 1 in 5 cases are now children. I didn't hear the age range.

I mean, fuckin' probably

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Childhood is a myth perpetuated by the pediatric racket

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

I think it's even higher here in Australia, but vaccination for under 18s was extremely limited until recently.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Stickman posted:

On the flip side, if you have uncontrolled spread of Delta then a shutdown will help control it while a vax passport system will not and will probably just contribute to breakthrough transmissions.

E: Unless it means that unvaccinated people will be prevented from doing things they can currently do?

Unvaccinated people will be barred from doing anything deemed non-essential in Quebec.

No concerts, no gyms, no restaurants, no festivals etc.

Basically they can go to parks and go shopping for essentials. That's it.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
up to 30% of ICU space, it was 22% two weeks ago.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

stab posted:

Unvaccinated people will be barred from doing anything deemed non-essential in Quebec.

No concerts, no gyms, no restaurants, no festivals etc.

Basically they can go to parks and go shopping for essentials. That's it.

Yeah. I maintain that mandates with actual teeth, like this, will move most of the unvaxxed in the U.S. into the vaxxed column. It's easy to be a contrarian rear end in a top hat when it doesn't actually cost you anything other than increased risk of Covid which you don't really believe in anyway.

The percentage of people who will be willing to stay unvaxxed when it means they can't be employed or go to a restaurant is a lot smaller than those who are currently unvaxxed.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Stickman posted:

Yeah that's the point. Those of us who did the right thing and got vaccinated have no appetite for another full lockdown just to keep 18% of the population from overfilling the ICUs. If everything was open and everyone was vaccinated we'd still have spread but it would be more limited and it wouldn't matter because such a small number of people would end up in the hospital. Ontario currently has about 150 people in ICU for COVID and something like 7 of those are fully vaccinated. And we have 75% of people 12+ fully vaxxed.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Probably although it’s a bad statistic because it doesn’t tell you if child cases are increasing or adult cases are decreasing.

The population of adults who aren’t vaccinated and haven’t already gotten it once is rapidly declining.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
If you're uneasy about wearing a respirator out of fear of how you'll look. I had a customer come in with one and it honestly.... made him kind of sexy looking

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My school district is (currently) making masks optional. They had an open forum discussion on Tuesday about this. Here are some paraphrased points from the anti-masking crew:

"Why are we living in fear? The Devil makes fear. My children will NOT be afraid."

"Masks do not work because I can still smell this room. How can a mask stop a virus if it can't stop a smell?!?!?"

"I don't have any children here but it breaks my heart to see children's faces covered." (I hope someone is investigating this woman)

"If kids were REALLY in the hospital, we'd see this ALLLL over CNN. Don Lemon would LOVE to report on this!"

So these first few weeks of school are going to be insane.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Zwabu posted:

Yeah. I maintain that mandates with actual teeth, like this, will move most of the unvaxxed in the U.S. into the vaxxed column. It's easy to be a contrarian rear end in a top hat when it doesn't actually cost you anything other than increased risk of Covid which you don't really believe in anyway.

The percentage of people who will be willing to stay unvaxxed when it means they can't be employed or go to a restaurant is a lot smaller than those who are currently unvaxxed.

Also if you get caught falsifying or using somebody elses vax info you will receive a fine of up to 20000$ and be charged under the Criminal code with actual jail time.

Quebec isn't loving around.

stab fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 26, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://twitter.com/US_FDA/status/1429050070243192839

loving :lol:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm going to need snopes to verify this one i think

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

umm actually we should be nice to the people who are poisoning themselves with horse medicine to own the libs!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
From the Trump thread:

The Last Call posted:

Health chief: Children now 36% of Tennessee’s virus cases

https://apnews.com/article/health-coronavirus-pandemic-tennessee-32b7ff0dc540a2b11cc8c736c67020fe
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Children now make up 36% of Tennessee’s reported COVID-19 cases, marking yet another sobering milestone in the state’s battle against the highly contagious delta variant, Health Commissioner Lisa Piercey said Wednesday.

“We had 14,000 pediatric cases in the last seven days, which is a 57% increase over the week prior,” Piercey told reporters. “Right now, 36% of all of our cases in the state are among children when it’s historically been in the 10 to 15% range.”

According to researchers from Johns Hopkins, Tennessee ranks sixth in the country for new cases per capita. The rolling average number of daily new cases has increased by about 2,200, an increase of 75%, over the past two weeks.

Piercey said the biggest increase has been among school-age children just as many are kicking off the new school year.

This spike has raised calls from some health officials for the state to take more forceful protective measures to prevent the spread the virus among young children, teachers and other staffers.

However, Gov. Bill Lee has thus far resisted such suggestions. Instead, he recently signed an executive order letting parents opt their children out of coronavirus-related mask mandates in K-12 schools just as a few school districts issued mask requirements for students and others.

When pressed Wednesday if the Republican was considering giving schools more flexibility to hold virtual learning, Lee said no.

“We don’t have any plans to do that yet,” he said.

Few school districts have adopted a mask mandate as Tennessee’s vaccination rates remain among the lowest nationally. Those districts include Nashville and Shelby County, the latter the largest school district in the state. Some smaller school districts have as well.

loving not :lol: