Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

please stop responding to sideways chair man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1430741149497667587

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
i hear ketamine is a good treatment for covid

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

all I want is to breathe

no, you want to breathe for free you ungrateful parasite

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/yonnitsunami/status/1430233437189836800

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

sooooo

behavioral issues in kids went from 17% to 56% over the pandemic.

https://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/scientists-are-racing-to-unravel-the-pandemics-toll-on-kids-brains/

that’s pretty goddamn bad.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

great benefits!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

spaceblancmange posted:

everything is going to be ok

sike

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Chuka Umana posted:

yes i believe we are in a better shape than the time where you could be lobotimized for being gay

are you actually gay or just pandering to identity politics? because I am gay and cultural wedge issues aside the country is loving hosed compared to the standard of living most (white) people enjoyed in the 60s. Lobotomized, beaten to death, dying of AIDS, murdered by 'gay panic' defendants, electrocuted for "conversion therapy," (that guy was our Vice President until this year in case you forgot) fired from your job, pretending hosed up poo poo doesn't happen to gay people after the 60s and today is some liberal bullshit.

The material conditions for the vast majority of Americans have degraded, retirement prospects are nonexistent, housing is exorbitantly priced and bought up by investors, global supply lines are crumbling, the planet is literally dying under our feet and choking us in toxic gas, and now a deadly pandemic is overloading our medical system, which has been hollowed out for corporate profit to a degree unheard of anywhere else on the planet. The difference between now and the 60s is that everyone is now as screwed and futureless as the gays have always been. Gee, I wonder why every generation since then has faced young adulthood with trepidation and hopelessness? Idiot.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Chuka Umana posted:

fam this is legit every generation before you in their 20s since the 60s

48% of gen X were homeowners at age 30

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bar Ran Dun posted:

sooooo

https://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/scientists-are-racing-to-unravel-the-pandemics-toll-on-kids-brains/

and behavioral issues in adults?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Bar Ran Dun posted:

sooooo

lol kids spent too much time with their parents and became neurotic like then

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

sooooo

Well you know what that means! Open up.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

:goatdrugs:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zokari posted:

please stop responding to sideways chair man

you are right, I am owned

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I can't believe I chose to move to Melbourne, the most locked down city in the world and still losing to delta, over my first choice of Adelaide, which has 4 covid deaths, because I thought the street life and economy would be more vibrant here lmao

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A microcosm of the labor market???

Lmao

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

and behavioral issues in adults?

Staying flat at 69%

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
“time parents spent with their kids went from 17% to 56% over the pandemic”

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
All the comments saying "well you shouldn't be working at 100 years anyway, so that's good!"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

All the comments saying "well you shouldn't be working at 100 years anyway, so that's good!"

It's almost impossible for the average person to imagine having a job that's genuinely positive and rewarding rather than a way to make enough money to scrape by

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Salt Fish posted:

I heard that the competition between teaching assistants and professors in college gets really vicious so it would not surprise me if someone tries to give their old teacher COVID to try to climb the ladder.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

A Gin Palace posted:

the social change we've got since then (believe me, as a transgender woman i am deeply, deeply aware of this, although my state government sure seems to think i should still be lobotomized) has been great, but it's come at the same time as a massive backslide in the economy and a wealth redistribution to the capitalist class of a scale not seen since the 19th century. It's nice to not be bludgeoned in the street, but also people back then could get a stable union factory job and survive with a reasonably comfortable middle class existence. This is now impossible.
edit: note that the nicer economy of the 60s was only nicer for white people, things have always been poo poo if you're anyone else

Also not sure where you're at, but a lot of people don't realize that in a lot of places in the US (I think it generally goes by township/county unless that's just my state) trans people have no housing rights. Like, we can legit be evicted for being trans and that's totally OK and legal in lots of places. I live in one of those places. I was lucky/privileged enough to get my own property now and I hope to freakin God I never lose it, especially now that one of my Gen Z kids also came out as trans. Like, there's a lot of basic poo poo trans people have to loving still worry about even if things are overall "better." I'm currently trying to help another trans brother get legal help for being harassed by his property management. The eviction memorandum obviously has helped but I'm drat sure whenever it does actually expire, lots of trans people here will be homeless.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

lol that'd terrible but also kind of owns, love to see both people involved in a game of chicken just say gently caress it let's do this

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

you're going to graduate this year

psych

that'll be $65k please

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
this thread:

https://twitter.com/SketchesbyBoze/status/1429864754022129664

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I heard that the competition between teaching assistants and professors in college gets really vicious so it would not surprise me if someone tries to give their old teacher COVID to try to climb the ladder.

it's mostly that many universities have simply stopped hiring more professors even as they take in more and more students so it's a common refrain that the only way for a job opening to become available is for an older professor to die

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
ECMO Super Bowl

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Louisgod posted:

lol kids spent too much time with their parents and became neurotic like then

it takes community to raise kids and the pandemic separates community into only households.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Well you know what that means! Open up.

the rolling back of mask mandates and other NPIs make me shaking mad with anger every time I think about. the only thing worth the risk was schools with an extensive list of NPIs.

that or we should have actually locked down right.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
How much of that increase in kids behavioral issues came from realizing that society is hosed and culture is hosed and government is hosed and there's no such thing as a grown up and there's no such thing as help coming and there's no such thing as things getting better lol

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it takes community to raise kids and the pandemic separates community into only households.

Sure, bring the kids to the Ivermectin-downing community! :theroni:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Threads in a real "highschooler who just watched rick and morty for the first time" mood tonight.

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

Goobish posted:

Also not sure where you're at, but a lot of people don't realize that in a lot of places in the US (I think it generally goes by township/county unless that's just my state) trans people have no housing rights. Like, we can legit be evicted for being trans and that's totally OK and legal in lots of places. I live in one of those places. I was lucky/privileged enough to get my own property now and I hope to freakin God I never lose it, especially now that one of my Gen Z kids also came out as trans. Like, there's a lot of basic poo poo trans people have to loving still worry about even if things are overall "better." I'm currently trying to help another trans brother get legal help for being harassed by his property management. The eviction memorandum obviously has helped but I'm drat sure whenever it does actually expire, lots of trans people here will be homeless.

i'm in texas lol. haha im in danger

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

gimme the dang covid coexist gang tag

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have absolutely no doubt that social isolation (not calling them lockdowns if the state hasn't locked-down) to avoid COVID is "taking a toll on the mental health of children"

I also have no doubt that it's not worth extracting the toll from their lungs and brains instead

if people want children to be able to have in-person classes again, pursue a COVID-zero strategy, so you can restart face-to-face education like China has

if online classes are difficult, governments need to step in and provide workable computers and strong internet connections to everyone

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

my mother in law is currently writing her attestation of mandatory vaccine exemption for "sincerely held religious beliefs" but she can't clearly describe her religious beliefs and why they preclude her from getting the vaccine because it's all dumbfuck lead poisoned boomer brained poo poo she saw on facebook so she's googling poo poo and plagiarizing it and might lose her job if they find out lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ram dass in hell posted:

How much of that increase in kids behavioral issues came from realizing that society is hosed and culture is hosed and government is hosed and there's no such thing as a grown up and there's no such thing as help coming and there's no such thing as things getting better lol

probably a good bit.

they compared the increases due to natural disasters or large terrorist attacks.

“This fits with research on natural disasters and terrorist attacks, which shows that wide-scale community stressors are tied to a rise in mental health concerns. What’s surprising, McLaughlin said, is the magnitude of the rise during the pandemic”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Ivermectin Jesus poo poo worms on the cross so you could be vax free