Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: There have been more auspicious meetings than this one, I'll grant you that, or McClure shows initiative, or Paul Bunyan nods approvingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The fishes' letter (1935/20)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

What a douche.

Yesterday, I was completely convinced that this was headed for Wilbur yelling at a cat. I am vaguely disappointed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Powered Descent posted:

Oh my god, I made this many years ago! :buddy:
And now I can finally make a note of who made it for whenever I post it again. :toot:

2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Libby's smug cat face in the first panel, totally confident of her position in the household.

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

Is the Footrot Flats author actually Wal IRL because I love the sincere life-saving joy in Wal's face here. This has to be somebody who has seen a drought slay a farm for at least a season before.

quote:

Mandrake

This is some good old fashioned "this was barely a century ago oh my god" creepiness. Mandrake casually agreeing as his future wife(they're dating/engaged atm?) is involuntarily committed to a "you sound kind of loud today we're strapping you to the bed" asylum for the crime of being a woman making an unusual claim.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

kidcoelacanth posted:

i feel a grim duty to provide an update

these children (?) were born last year

I'm more disturbed by their blank, soulless eyes. Is he purposely trying to make them look creepy?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm more disturbed by their blank, soulless eyes. Is he purposely trying to make them look creepy?

He may be trying to do the Little Orphan Annie eyes.

But he's a terrible artist so they look more like dead zombie eyes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I found this in my folder ofold comic thread stuff and I think it would be appreciated alongside Little Lefty(sadly just the one comic):

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Eww, now there's fly guts in their fruit.

BigglesSWE posted:

In what loving universe would Ed like impressionistic art? He’d call it hippie-poo poo 24/7.

He barely knows what that is, but his wife is enjoying a thing and he is honor-bound to tell her the thing she likes sucks.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

"We need to find the Carr's dog and saw his head of so it can be tested for rabies! Bugs could be in big trouble!"

Doomykins posted:

This is some good old fashioned "this was barely a century ago oh my god" creepiness. Mandrake casually agreeing as his future wife(they're dating/engaged atm?) is involuntarily committed to a "you sound kind of loud today we're strapping you to the bed" asylum for the crime of being a woman making an unusual claim.

In a world where magic is known to exist, no less.

Today's Luann doesn't want to upload right this second, so for now just take my word for it that it sucks.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis aims right at us (and CineD)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Doomykins posted:

I kinda have a feeling Narda is imagining all this.

Consider: they were watching a movie about a mad scientist, and she was suspicious of the scientist dude from the start. Then she smells some stuff from a test tube or breaker or something and feels faint, and after that the whole song and dance with the criminal trying to kill Mandrake and then getting shrunk begins.

I think she actually fainted for real when she smelled the chemical, and this is all her dream.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Haifisch posted:

I found this in my folder ofold comic thread stuff and I think it would be appreciated alongside Little Lefty(sadly just the one comic):

Ooooo, that goes a long way towards explaining what the hell's going on in that first substitute strip.

So, gifted with new knowledge, we have our answer to "what the hell?: Jack Herman's "Comrade Kids" was a recurring feature in the New Pioneer children's magazine (5 cents monthly at the more open-minded newstands in your neighborhood), and since everybody was already working out of New York, it wouldn't have been a massive hassle to have Herman and his characters fill the gap while Del was laid up.

So that clears up what's going on while Del's away (and thank you so much, because that discovery was a proper brain-unscrambler). As to how good of a fit the switcharoo is...well, we'll find out soon enough.

(Del's New Pioneer back cover from February 1937)

Anyway, back to The MiniSec Ecocide Museum!

The 2007 exhibit, in which Bunnista says, "It's not disobedience if it's civil." (November 12-16)

And 2010 demonstrates an exercising of choices, fashion and otherwise. (December 13-17)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Yes, sourpuss, the colonization of North America and the planting of a few plants by guerrilla gardeners are similar situations. Well done.

Scary Gary

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I feel like the Heathcliff guy comes up with several drafts for the same joke and then publishes all of them in a random order

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I wasn't gonna like where this plot was going and now I'm really not gonna like where this plot is going.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mikl posted:

I kinda have a feeling Narda is imagining all this.

Consider: they were watching a movie about a mad scientist, and she was suspicious of the scientist dude from the start. Then she smells some stuff from a test tube or breaker or something and feels faint, and after that the whole song and dance with the criminal trying to kill Mandrake and then getting shrunk begins.

I think she actually fainted for real when she smelled the chemical, and this is all her dream.

I was going to say this too, but I'm unsure if she's still imagining it, or if the hallucination stopped after the shrink ray stuff and then when the cops showed up for real, tried to tell them about the shrink ray stuff and they went "Welp she's crazy" and took her away.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doomykins posted:

Libby's smug cat face in the first panel, totally confident of her position in the household.

Is the Footrot Flats author actually Wal IRL because I love the sincere life-saving joy in Wal's face here. This has to be somebody who has seen a drought slay a farm for at least a season before.

I looked him up earlier, he's from a NZ farm town. He definitely knows the language.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Twelve by Pies posted:

They're the murder twins from "The Shining"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

One of the reasons Footrot Flats was so huge in New Zealand (apart from being good) is that it is very heavily agricultural across the whole country - at the time Ball was penning them, almost 50% of New Zealand was sheep or cattle farms.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That and sheep balls are hilarious.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! August 31, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True October 8, 1918

Gay and Her Gang October 9, 1929

Oaky Doaks March 11, 1936

Mopsy May 11, 1937

Up Front June 22, 1944

Dark Laughter May 8, 1948

Those Were the Days December 23, 1953

Wee Pals November 30, 1965

Dogbert April 13, 1966

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuSable_High_School

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Dec 12, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 18-19, 1989)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doomykins posted:

Did Mandrake agree? I thought he left and then the orderlies showed up.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
An abbreviated version of the main payload tonight:

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (January 3, 1934)

Peanuts (August 28, 1974)

The Les Moore Conspiracy

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 26, 1938)

Out Our Way (April 1-3, 1937)

And now, please welcome your substitute Little Lefty, Comrade Kids! (March 25-27, 1935)

It should go without saying there was a lot of strike coverage in the Daily Worker, but the one they're talking about here is against the National Biscuit Company (Nabiscso), which was getting all kinds of attention on the front pages. And cue the theme song...

(March 22, 1935, right where the strip would've been.)

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks March 11, 1936

Corrigan doesn't know it yet, but he's already dead

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EasyEW posted:

The Les Moore Conspiracy

Nothing good comes this way

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

It should go without saying there was a lot of strike coverage in the Daily Worker, but the one they're talking about here is against the National Biscuit Company (Nabiscso), which was getting all kinds of attention on the front pages. And cue the theme song...

And in an odd bit of synchronicity, Nabisco workers are on strike right now. Maybe they could use the theme song.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: tree surgery (March 31 - April 6, 2003)

Grab your axes and hacksaws, y'all. Let's go lobotomise a tree.

Modern Kevin & Kell

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Neither the book nor the comic does really explain, how he knows that the man is a doctor.

So the man who travels with Lauri Larsson is Doctor Martin Weiss, a German alchemist who appears to be able to create gold. For whatever reason the comic skipped how Lauri met Paul Bertelsköld in Finland in those earlier chapters. Paul paid his foster parents' loans to Lauri with alchemical gold and later introduced him to doctor Weiss. Lauri is an extremely greedy miser and promises to even sell his soul for gold to Weiss when he asks for it.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 26, 2021

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (April 1-3, 1937)

Is a man dead?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/25/01

Brenda Starr 2/13-15/47

Smokey Stover 1/17/43

Bonus Ad!

35 West 32nd Street is now a store selling Korean books and K-pop. Wonder if Marvelo saw that coming.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 26, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (December 9, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (December 9, 1999)

Garfield Classic (December 9, 1989)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

goatface posted:

Is a man dead?
He just caught his coat on the fence jumping after them.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

And now, please welcome your substitute Little Lefty, Comrade Kids! (March 25-27, 1935)

Comic Strips 2021: Deliver This to Mr. Big Rumps

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 08, 1946)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

goatface posted:

Is a man dead?