Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Proteus Jones posted:

The sheer chutzpa in this is amazing.
Yeah, kind of impressed TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghostlight posted:

Sometimes it's a bit darkly funny, like the manager who coded 1.5hrs to "picking up equip from off" to IT, which isn't just not an IT issue but is a great way to document a crime.

Wait, were they documenting stealing equipment from the office? :eyepop:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, were they documenting stealing equipment from the office? :eyepop:

Lockdown violation?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's both - the CEO explicitly told everyone there would not be hardware issued as we've had a working from home program for like a year now that allows people to request equipment for a home office setup. And it's a violation of lockdown rules because he's not essential.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Ticket: Laptop webcam doesn't work when docked.

Notes: Remoted in and observed webcam is working but is showing black screen - is laptop closed?

Resolution: User believed there was a webcam built into her external monitor that would activate when the laptop was docked. User provided with USB webcam. Closing ticket.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I like the tickets from people that are connecting to their work laptop via remote desktop and wondering why the webcam image is a blank office wall

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks Ants posted:

I like the tickets from people that are connecting to their work laptop via remote desktop and wondering why the webcam image is a blank office wall

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Oh man, I had a user who took a long time to grasp that RDPing into her office PC from home and then joining a Skype/Zoom/Teams meeting from it would result in said app showing her a live stream of her empty office.

And there was the one time she saw someone else sitting at her desk!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Honestly, it makes sense that some users don't even consider that their laptop may not have a webcam. Every consumer laptop, down to the shittiest ones have some kind of webcam baked in, all phones have cameras baked in, it's only really business laptops that sometimes lack built in cameras.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

klosterdev posted:

Honestly, it makes sense that some users don't even consider that their laptop may not have a webcam. Every consumer laptop, down to the shittiest ones have some kind of webcam baked in, all phones have cameras baked in, it's only really business laptops that sometimes lack built in cameras.

The laptop did have a webcam, the external monitor didn't.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

We only buy conferencing monitors for this reason, but because HP is a bunch of fuckers you just get 3 devices all named "HP HD Camera". Sure you can do a firmware update to the monitor and change it, but that's a different pain in the rear end.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You can actually source those? I’ve had some on order for months.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

GreenNight posted:

You can actually source those? I’ve had some on order for months.

We actually just got a bunch in recently, but only about a quarter of the 1000+ we have on order. We tend to keep a pretty big stock of spare hardware so we've only been truly hurting for the last few months. I suspect we'll get the rest of our orders by some time late this year or early next at the rate things are going.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

drat. I've been waiting on 40 since February.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

We have HP docking monitors that do have webcams, but don't have speakers. Which inevitably leads to people complaining that whenever they use the monitor webcam the sound becomes all quiet and muffled. Because they've closed the laptop lid.

Then there's another issue where for some reason sometimes the laptop decides the docking monitor does have a speaker and tries to redirect audio to it, which results in no sound at all.

Of course the correct fix for all of this is "plug in headphones when you're having a meeting at your desk you rear end in a top hat".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wish every monitor that had the ability to break out DisplayPort and HDMI audio onto a 3.5mm jack had a setting in the menu to disable it and not present an audio device to Windows, and it was off by default.

One of the things I learned about Teams-certified USB audio devices was that part of the certification means that Teams will always pick them as the default device, which saves a lot of support hours.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We're opening a new office and I've been told we need 30 hot stations for people that are working remote to come in and sit where ever they want. They're gonna have a rude surprise when they realize the people that have been working remote have no intention of coming in unless forced.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Or maybe they are fully aware and some VP need some minions to bully.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Well we doubled the size of the engineering team and there is no room for them. But the entire engineering team got some shittops and are RDP'ing into CAD workstations that are on prem. If they wanted to drag all those people back, they wouldn't need hot stations. So I don't know wtf they're thinking.

I just know I got 250k worth of Meraki switches and 100k worth of AP's I gotta setup and install by myself.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Not to brag or anything but I just got the ticket from hell resolved.

All it took was me sitting in my nice temperature controlled home office pressing buttons on a keyboard while I sent a very angry field tech across state lines to do the actual physical work across two different remote sites.

Phew I'm tired. I think I deserve a break after that one. Maybe I should ask the tech to pick me up some Wendy's or something but he has a 3 hour drive home and I don't want to wait that long.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 27, 2021

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
"I opened the vmware app but there's nowhere to enter the server name"
Included screenshot:

This was after I got them to download the horizon client because they somehow downloaded some vSphere thing thinking it was what they needed. The document on our IT support page, which they claimed they followed, links directly to the horizon client download.
:ughh:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The fact that Horizon doesn't support a discovery service where you just put in your email address blows my loving mind.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Yeah. Their half-assed Microsoft MFA implementation has also been generating a lot of tickets. It opens a a page in the user's default browser to handle the MFA prompt, which get's passed back to the desktop client. It fails if their default browser is Firefox with the default tracker protection enabled, or if their default is a chromium browser with a script blocking extension installed. Ublock doesn't seem to affect it, thankfully.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Internet Explorer posted:

The fact that Horizon doesn't support a discovery service where you just put in your email address blows my loving mind.
There is a way to configure a profile so the machines a user needs are just there ready to click on login, but a: I have only been said user, I don't know poo poo about configuring it, and b: I don't think that'd help here.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

There is a way to configure a profile so the machines a user needs are just there ready to click on login, but a: I have only been said user, I don't know poo poo about configuring it, and b: I don't think that'd help here.

Yeah, there's ways to preload the profile, but service discovery and things like AutoDiscover have been around for so long and are so easy to implement, there's really no excuse.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

There is a policy that will set the server name(s) and another to pass through the current user's Windows credentials. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to apply that to user's personal devices without domain joining them.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Just got an email from our boss's boss:

"If you received double-time, would you be willing to administer COVID tests to students in your buildings?

Email me if you are interested."

yeah ok sure bud just tell me where I put the... ethernet cable? That's how this works, right? That has to be how this works because otherwise you wouldn't be asking your entire IT department to do it, right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

nominal posted:

Just got an email from our boss's boss:

"If you received double-time, would you be willing to administer COVID tests to students in your buildings?

Email me if you are interested."

yeah ok sure bud just tell me where I put the... ethernet cable? That's how this works, right? That has to be how this works because otherwise you wouldn't be asking your entire IT department to do it, right?

Can just anyone give someone a test? Isn't this something a medical professional can/should do?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

'lean back while i shove this usb cable into your nose'

'poo poo, gotta flip it over, let's try it again'

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Sickening posted:

Can just anyone give someone a test? Isn't this something a medical professional can/should do?

There's at least one brand of self-test that just involves sticking the cotton bit of a q-tip up your nose and swabbing the insides of your nostrils. If people can do that to themselves...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

There's at least one brand of self-test that just involves sticking the cotton bit of a q-tip up your nose and swabbing the insides of your nostrils. If people can do that to themselves...

All of them are like that.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

spankmeister posted:

Not the anal swab ones. :catbert:

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Sickening posted:

Maybe he considers us all honorary medical professionals now given the vast quantities of various bio-gunk we chiseled off of all the iPads and laptops that went home last year for remote learning

I dropped an iPad (all of our devices get turned in already in plastic bags) on the floor over the summer and it didn't even make any real noise. It was like dropping a pillow. You know, on account of the thick cushion of mold

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Zil posted:

Not the anal swab ones. :catbert:

Uh, buddy, I have some bad news about the person who told you an anal swab was necessary...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ah, aws is hosed. great

spankmeister posted:

some of them use nasopharyngeal swabs which have to go in way deeper. i wouldn't let anyone but a medical professional stick one of those in me

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Weedle posted:

ah, aws is hosed. great

some of them use nasopharyngeal swabs which have to go in way deeper. i wouldn't let anyone but a medical professional stick one of those in me

Not any of the self administered tests afaik.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

nominal posted:

dropped an iPad (all of our devices get turned in already in plastic bags) on the floor over the summer and it didn't even make any real noise. It was like dropping a pillow. You know, on account of the thick cushion of mold

oh my god middle schoolers are the worst

Weedle
May 31, 2006

opening a kid's laptop and the originally white keys are fully brown and weirdly grippy

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Weedle posted:

opening a kid's laptop and the originally white keys are fully brown and weirdly grippy

:aaaaa: :barf: :suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

But what do they taste like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

keyboard goop