Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Hollow Knight is not a AAA game.

Yeah it’s better than most AAA games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waltzing Along posted:

there's a word you skipped there, read it again

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Calling hollow knight "AAA level" is pretty severe, and untrue, criticism.

At no point did I have to buy loot boxes for a 3% chance of pale ore.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

uh Divinity wants how much Geo to get unbreakable strength??? :stare:

drat I wish I'd made my first one the greed one. I gotta make up 6000 more to get strength back, and another 9000 after for greed (then health later if I care). Oof. Off to the colosseum I guess

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ciaphas posted:

drat I wish I'd made my first one the greed one.

Yeah definitely the right move, and then use it to get the others.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

drat I wish I'd made my first one the greed one. I gotta make up 6000 more to get strength back, and another 9000 after for greed (then health later if I care). Oof. Off to the colosseum I guess

If you don’t want to mess with the coliseum, here is where I grind geo:

Clear those two rooms and sit on the bench. Lots of geo, 3 of those hulk guards that drop a ton.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You guys have got it all backwards; Divinity was put it as a way for players to spend their oodles of geo on something, anything. The prices are outlandish for something you might not ever use, especially when trying to buy them all of them.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Waltzing Along posted:

:balldo: Mods are asleep :balldo:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

You know the fragile charms only cost a few hundred geo to fix it they break, right?

You can use fragile greed pretty safely to farm. Remember to farm enough geo with fragile greed before you give it to the divine so you can buy it straight back.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bike tory posted:

You know the fragile charms only cost a few hundred geo to fix it they break, right?

You can use fragile greed pretty safely to farm. Remember to farm enough geo with fragile greed before you give it to the divine so you can buy it straight back.

i'd already goofed it by the time i made that post, is the thing :v: absent-minded colosseum runs throughout the afternoon has me close to getting back greed though, and I already have strength so it's mostly a done deal anywho

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

even with said strength Radiance is Kind Of An rear end in a top hat

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Radiance attacks in slow motion for me now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Waltzing Along posted:

:getout:

Mymla posted:

Calling hollow knight "AAA level" is pretty severe, and untrue, criticism.

At no point did I have to buy loot boxes for a 3% chance of pale ore.

lol :getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

finally got thru radiance. i always appreciate the cinematic final-battle-outro beatdowns, and if i understand just what the hell happened, that was a real good one

game real good. now to look up where godmaster starts and hit that up too; i'd managed to stumble on the troupe start but never found a single hint about the gods business

then i think i gotta do a new game (though maybe not right away) because i banished the troupe before i bought back the health charm, so i got it back in its fragile form and seeing that in the menu haunts me :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 26, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

huh i thought deevyne or w/e stuck around if
you still had charms to upgrade. maybe that's only if you beat nkg.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

b_d posted:

huh i thought deevyne or w/e stuck around if
you still had charms to upgrade. maybe that's only if you beat nkg.

i suspect it's because i went for banishment rather than going back to creepy boss jester

(i got a friend with an accordion out of the deal so i feel i chose correctly)

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

i suspect it's because i went for banishment rather than going back to creepy boss jester

(i got a friend with an accordion out of the deal so i feel i chose correctly)

The charm for banishing is miles better than the charm for not banishing so there's that

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is it? I remember being upset for banishing because I thought the other one was better. But it’s been a long time.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Neither charm is at all worth using outside of some niche builds and situations

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't like all the weird noises Grimmchild makes.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

bike tory posted:

Neither charm is at all worth using outside of some niche builds and situations

Hard disagree and I think carefree melody is the most underrated charm in the game. It's so good, doubly so while fighting bosses that do more than one masks worth of damage. It activates pretty often, to the point where I prefer it to unbreakable heart for a lot of bosses because you don't have to heal after it activates, whereas more health you do.

So much better than Grimmchild it's not even funny. Survivability is way more important than a creaking jackass who can't hit anything you want it to. Literally a worse dream shield and I don't even really care much for that one, but that's personal preference.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Grimmchild is cute though and that makes it objectively better.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Grimmchild is cute though and that makes it objectively better.

He's cuter if you don't upgrade him imo

But fair point

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Best charm build:

[Technically spoilers if you haven't gotten the good ending yet]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKunxVcLv9g

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the third pantheon has certainly put paid to my 200iq tactic of "run at them with unbreakable strength and heal afterward with quick+deep focus"; might have to go to just quick focus at this rate and try something else

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Literally the only reason I must defeat NKG is because I want my friend to have pretty wings

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I don't really care about the grimm troupe charms as once I'm done with Grimm the only stuff left in the game is Godhome, and those charms simply aren't good enough for Godhome.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I finally beat the third pantheon, so up to 111% completion at this point. :toot:

Now for the fourth pantheon. After a lot of boss practice. Both sides of the checkpoint are bosses that love to hand me my rear end, and I am terrified of the king of this pantheon.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

pantheon 4's boss is my favorite fight in the game. maybe it's easier than the other big ones or maybe i got gudder at it because i like it so much.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

The boss of pantheon 4 is a lot of fun.

The sequence of Failed Champ -> Markoth -> Watcher Knights is really difficult. When I finally got passed that into the Soul Tyrant I spent a long-rear end time waiting for attacks that would let me heal up just so I wouldn't be in such bad shape for the boss.

Same reason I also never learned how to fight Hive Knight properly, because in the pantheon of hallownest Elder Hu is right after and it's super easy to heal back up to full during that fight.

Unrelated last boss spoiler:

Precept 58: gently caress the sun

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

I got through pantheon 4 at the start of the year and have come back to finish into the void. Today I managed to thread the Markoth-Zote needle (much more by doing well on Zote, I still don't know wtf to do on Markoth) and reach Absolute Radiance.

Folks,

She's hard.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

. Both sides of the checkpoint are bosses that love to hand me my rear end, and I am terrified of the king of this pantheon.

The one piece of intel that helped me turn the corner on failed champion is that when he jumps backwards away from you, that's his big tell that the next hammer slam of his is the shockwave.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I'm working on the third pantheon and Grey Prince Zote is my roadblock. Best attempt I've done is just rushing him down but it sets me up poorly for the rest of the pantheon. Any tips?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Failed champion is a pushover with what I assume is a bug?

When the larva comes out the armour, you can reset its timer outside by hitting the armour but not the larva.

So you can hit the armour, heal, hit the armour, dreamnail the armour, hit the armour, heal, essentially infinitely. So every time you get a knockdown you get a full heal and full spirit for the next part.

DTaeKim posted:

I'm working on the third pantheon and Grey Prince Zote is my roadblock. Best attempt I've done is just rushing him down but it sets me up poorly for the rest of the pantheon. Any tips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDlrRnxGR-M&t=789s

This is my first run at him in the gauntlet if you want a video of what I tend to do (very badly). What I'd say in terms of advice is, you can react to any of his dives onto you by using the descending dark. You'll get full damage on him and dodge the entire dive. Since he's such a huge target, the descending dark is just very powerful in general because of how frequently it will get all the hits and also clean up nearby adds for you.

The other thing is getting used to pogoing his running attack because that keeps you very safe.

In general you won't have healing windows apart from on stuns so don't try and instead when you take damage just use your damage immunity to try and combo him into a stun.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

This is my first run at him in the gauntlet if you want a video of what I tend to do (very badly). What I'd say in terms of advice is, you can react to any of his dives onto you by using the descending dark. You'll get full damage on him and dodge the entire dive. Since he's such a huge target, the descending dark is just very powerful in general because of how frequently it will get all the hits and also clean up nearby adds for you.

The other thing is getting used to pogoing his running attack because that keeps you very safe.

In general you won't have healing windows apart from on stuns so don't try and instead when you take damage just use your damage immunity to try and combo him into a stun.

This is excellent advice. Descending dark lets you avoid pretty much any attack in the game that you're having trouble dealing with as long as you have the soul for it, so if you know you have trouble with a certain attack, D. Dark is a great way to deal with it. Also vengeful spirit is really good for clearing out the explosive Zotes.

Pogoing the running attack works well but just be mindful that when he trips at the end of the attack, his hurtbox shrinks significantly and it's hard/maybe impossible to react to from certain heights, and you'll just whiff the pogo and fall into him. This is less of a big deal if you're using longnail/mark of pride, but if you're going for a different build, delay your attacks slightly so you're lower to the ground while pogoing and you'll be okay.

Unrelated, but did you ever fix your dash button not working periodically? I had the same problem and posted a fix in the LP thread, but a few videos later you said you were still having issues.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

DTaeKim posted:

Zote is an rear end in a top hat that has no good cheese/build other than staying on him for damage, as I've found trying to play him 'perfectly' as you'd do for NKG is futile.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was able to beat him in pantheon 3 by combining Deep Focus, Quick Focus and Shape of Uun and abusing the hell out of knowing that if I heal & get hit I'm (usually) still one hit ahead

(e) the acronym's not coming to me, who's NKG?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I was able to beat him in pantheon 3 by combining Deep Focus, Quick Focus and Shape of Uun and abusing the hell out of knowing that if I heal & get hit I'm (usually) still one hit ahead

(e) the acronym's not coming to me, who's NKG?

Nightmare King Grimm

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oohh, yeah. i skipped that fight in the actual game and haven't got that far in the fourth pantheon yet

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

DTaeKim posted:

Any tips?

Adding to everyone else, when winds up to flail his sword at you, the hitbox for it is so high, and comes out so fast, that just jumping isn't go to save you from getting hit. You either need to dash through him (if your back is to the wall) or away from him (if he's against the wall) and jump to avoid it. I also like to hit max height double jumps after pogoing off of him to waste as much time and let him stumble on his own so my own pogo doesn't get juked.

The best times to get hits in are when he's spitting out zotelings or summoning exploding zotes, but if you're not next to him when he starts that animation, just stand back and upslash the zotelings to clear them or jump and fire off a shoulder-height shade soul to clear the exploders. Keeping it a 1-on-1 fight so you have the most room to maneuver gives you the best shot at reacting to his attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Natural 20 posted:

Failed champion is a pushover with what I assume is a bug?

When the larva comes out the armour, you can reset its timer outside by hitting the armour but not the larva.

So you can hit the armour, heal, hit the armour, dreamnail the armour, hit the armour, heal, essentially infinitely. So every time you get a knockdown you get a full heal and full spirit for the next part.

this plus with the right charms you can burn him down during his slamming move after he gets up so you get another knockdown for free. so you only need to engage with the fight until you get the first knockdown. ALSO iirc he's knocked down indefinitely the last time (3rd?) where you just need to hit him to kill him so you can get all your resources back at the end without even having to bother with hitting the armor.

he failed as a champion due to being vulnerable to cheese strats. sad!