Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

euphronius posted:

lmao Florida was no where near a 50% vaccination rate

Florida’s vaccination numbers are so much worse when you look at it by age group. There are so many olds here that are over 75% vaccinated as a group that they make it look much better overall. People 20-40 are like 20-30% at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

:actually: Logan's Run was a documentary!

It was a great film.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

euphronius posted:

won’t it just eventually kill everyone over like 40

it will kill people with the pre existing condition of having had severe covid

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

Florida’s vaccination numbers are so much worse when you look at it by age group. There are so many olds here that are over 75% vaccinated as a group that they make it look much better overall. People 20-40 are like 20-30% at best.

Yeah plus 20-40 are more likely to mix and mingle even when they are unvaccinated.

I can't wait until college ball starts up again since for example for the Gators the stadium can hold 89,000 people.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Like enough people have died that it would be equivalent of any of the populations of any but the top 20 US cities. Imagine if just like the entire population of Milwuakee just loving keeled over.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Even if you include 'metropolitan' areas you're still looking at the equivalent of like everyone in a 20 mile radius from Toledo just disappear from the face of the Earth and people are just like "Such is the cost of Freedom! :911:"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zurtilik posted:

Like enough people have died that it would be equivalent of any of the populations of any but the top 20 US cities. Imagine if just like the entire population of Milwuakee just loving keeled over.

It's Milwaukee, no one would notice

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

If all of Milwaukee died then the Reds would lead the division!

:punto:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Lawlicaust posted:

I'm on a major college campus in florida daily and undergrads are masking at around a 35% rate or so. masking is better in the economics/social sciences building than it is in the business building. i know of at least two phd students who are unvaccinated. one is a young black man that is skeptical of government provided shots (with good reason) but is also spends a lot of time hearing bullshit on tiktok. he at least masks 100% of the time. the other is a white republican trumper who refuses to mask as well.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Zurtilik posted:

Whoa awesome

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

turns out algorithms designed to keep everything limping along as cheaply as possible have zero allowances for "what happens if a massive pandemic occurs" or "what happens if a quarter of workforce quits or dies"

My previous company was in panic mode when I left because the revamped HR predictions were showing a 50% retention rate among non-management engineering staff by the end of 2022.

Every element of the place was focused on getting by with the bare minimum and having projects fall far short of success then declaring a massive victory and giving out awards to the WFH management.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

what happened to the poster that updated us when we passed us city population milestones of covid deaths? We are almost to Portland.

The City of Las Vegas and often known simply as Vegas, is the 26th-most populous city in the United States, the most populous city in the state of Nevada. the city had 641,903 residents in 2020

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You don't have to imagine all of Milwaukee dying they made a movie where that happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isTLd2tFP7w

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Even if you include 'metropolitan' areas you're still looking at the equivalent of like everyone in a 20 mile radius from Toledo just disappear from the face of the Earth and people are just like "Such is the cost of Freedom! :911:"

I don't have a source, but someone early in the last thread mentioned that somewhere around 30% survival rate was considered a win in a nuclear exchange. We're doing not terrible by that metric!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

In The Return of the Living Dead they nuke Louisville at the end!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Norton posted:

what happened to the poster that updated us when we passed us city population milestones of covid deaths? We are almost to Portland.

The City of Las Vegas and often known simply as Vegas, is the 26th-most populous city in the United States, the most populous city in the state of Nevada. the city had 641,903 residents in 2020

I'm still here.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

In The Return of the Living Dead they nuke Louisville at the end!

and, appropriately, it just makes things worse

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I think it’s funny how Disney must be constantly seething that all the republicans who were supposed to be in their pockets have instead turned Florida, home of their flagship amusement park, into the plague capital of the Western Hemisphere

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Norton posted:

Bruce Hussein Daddy is still posting with us, they just stopped.

We're up to states now, I think: at 649,680 deaths, the US has blown well past Wyoming (576,851), and recently passed Vermont (643,077)

Next up is Alaska with 733,391, which should be a little less than three months away at 1,000 deaths per day

or the District of Columbia, which is not a state, but with a population of 689,545 is going to be overtaken by COVID deaths in a little over a month

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

I think it’s funny how Disney must be constantly seething that all the republicans who were supposed to be in their pockets have instead turned Florida, home of their flagship amusement park, into the plague capital of the Western Hemisphere

I know all my co-workers couldn't wait to go back to Disney or Universal Studios.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

My honeymoon is never going to happen.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

I know all my co-workers couldn't wait to go back to Disney or Universal Studios.

my sister went to the California Disneyland in May, and then met up with my cousins there again last Sunday

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The Nastier Nate posted:

No, Disney is the perfect example of a corp so massive that they can ride out and thrive the pandemic with all their segments. All the parks could lose billions for years and they would be fine, they wouldn't even need to slow down stock buybacks

I'm pretty sure no corp cares about deaths anymore, that was so 2020.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The university where I teach is starting in a few weeks and I've just been invited to a 4 hour garden party with all of the faculty, admin, leadership and staff :thumbsup:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

No, Disney is the perfect example of a corp so massive that they can ride out and thrive the pandemic with all their segments. All the parks could lose billions for years and they would be fine, they wouldn't even need to slow down stock buybacks

I'm pretty sure no corp cares about deaths anymore, that was so 2020.

Yeah plus at least for FL they operate tax free due to all the various incentive packages and other preferential treatment they've accumulated over the years

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Asproigerosis posted:

Like I think I'd have difficulty not screaming at an antivaxxer to go gently caress themselves all the way at this point. The millions of preventable casualties is infuriating for me as a health care worker. To be such motherfuckers that want to own the libs or whatever loving bullshit jesus christ people are DYING kids are DYING because you loving knobs want to play games and pretend a loving mask is some political statement.

FUUUUUCK

I’m at this weird point where I hate every individual antivaxxer and wish them intense personal misery, but as a group I’m kind of thinking of them more like a large weather system. It’s like I hate every individual bit of momentum and matter that makes up the hurricane, but we’re looking at a hurricane here, and we should probably be making plans that assume that the hurricane is going to keep existing no matter how many times Joe tweets that it should stop being the thing that it is. It’s the same deal with the liberals, I’ll tell any given person that they’re loving up by hanging out in bars because covid is over, but so many people are doing it that I have to accept that I can’t trust anyone who says they’re being safe.

One dangerous idiot is a problem that can be solved, half of the country being dangerous idiots is a systemic failure so deep and rich that it’s impossible to even fully understand, and all I can really do is play defense. There aren’t solutions for a problem like that, and nobody in power is even hinting that they’re trying to think of a real solution anyway.

I want to make it clear that you are not wrong for feeling the way that you do, I agree with and admire you, you aren’t wrong on any level. I’m just trying to describe the weird spot I’ve landed on mentally and emotionally while watching a nation of rugged individualists who choose what’s best for themselves completely fail as a concept. The entire national mythology we were raised in was based on the idea that we let everybody do their thing and the best ideas will always win out, and this last year and a half put such a huge cherry on the “that doesn’t work” cake that is American history, the cake is no longer detectable.

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 26, 2021

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Real Mean Queen posted:

I’m at this weird point where I hate every individual antivaxxer and wish them intense personal misery, but as a group I’m kind of thinking of them more like a large weather system. It’s like I hate every individual bit of momentum and matter that makes up the hurricane, but we’re looking at a hurricane here, and we should probably be making plans that assume that the hurricane is going to keep existing no matter how many times Joe tweets that it should stop being the thing that it is. It’s the same deal with climate change deniers, I’d cheerfully punch any given one in the face, but added together they end up being more than the sum of their parts and need to be thought about differently.

One dangerous idiot is a problem that can be solved, half of the country being dangerous idiots is a systemic failure so deep and rich that it’s impossible to even fully understand, and all I can really do is play defense. There aren’t solutions for a problem like that, and nobody in power is even hinting that they’re trying to think of a real solution anyway.

I want to make it clear that you are not wrong for feeling the way that you do, I agree with and admire you, you aren’t wrong on any level. I’m just trying to describe the weird spot I’ve landed on mentally and emotionally while watching a nation of rugged individualists who choose what’s best for themselves completely fail as a concept. The entire national mythology we were raised in was based on the idea that we let everybody do their thing and the best ideas will always win out, and this last year and a half put such a huge cherry on the “that doesn’t work” cake that is American history, the cake is no longer detectable.

anti vaxxers are endemic now. we need to learn to live with them

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

anti vaxxers are endemic now. we need to learn to live die with them

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Norton posted:

anti vaxxers are endemic now. we need to learn to live with them

To me it's been a pretty straight line from popular disbelief in evolution to "vaccines cause autism" to this

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

This got buried

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

covid

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Got to lose control and then you take control
Then you're rolled down on your back and you like it like that
Like it like that, like it like that, like it like that
Then you curse Tony Fauci, yeah, curse Tony Fauci
Lungs are filled with holes, Johnny's laying there and he squirms, coughing
RN looks down at him and says, "Oh, chuddy boy
Can't you show me nothing but surrender?"
Johnny gets up, takes off his MAGA t-shirt
Taped to his chest there's the answer
You got Plaquenil and UV and
Horse paste preferred, horse paste preferred
Then he cries, then he screams, saying
Life is full of pain, cracks pinging through my brain
And I fill my mouth per os and go Hidalgo, Hidalgo
Hidalgo, Johnny go, and curse Tony Fauci, oh curse Tony Fauci

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Covok posted:

This got buried

Yeah, because he's rules-lawyering the numbers to make them seem better than they are

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Vox Nihili posted:

Alright we've removed enough boomers

We can stop now

Not even close.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
HHS data 8/26

ICUs with >4% increase in patients 8/20-8/26: 9 states
ICUs with 2-3% increase in patients 8/20-8/26: 14 states
ICUs with 0-2% increase in patients 8/20-8/26: 17 states
ICUS with a decrease in patients or shoddy data: 10 states

Hospitalizations
The Raw data seems to indicate that New England is about to popoff. If MA has 87% of its beds full, that seems like a problem.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

CT scan of normal lungs vs a guy with covid from an article in the AJC following a 24 year old's treatment

https://www.ajc.com/blake/#part1

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Everything is going well here!

Headline: Coach dies from COVID, 400 kids quarantined. KY district closes with no remote learning.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/education/article253748903.html

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

Headline: Coach dies from COVID, 400 kids quarantined. KY district closes with no remote learning.

When you hit accelerator on the car even though the bridge is obviously out.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Don't worry though I'm still coming into work at the job where I just mess with Excel all day. Definitely need to be in person for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Zurtilik posted:

first covid came for the teachers. i did not speak out, for they were lazy union thugs
then covid came for the students. i did not speak out, for the millennials have had their brains ruined by critical race theory
then covid came for the football coach. and there was no one left. because they all went blind from the horse paste