Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I miss the era of a million lovely f2p mmos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Man there were/are a lot of f2p MMOs that were like that.

Ragnarok Online and RuneScape were basically glorified chatrooms back in the day too.

You guys are making me nostalgic for the RO private servers.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 26, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What was the F2P Worms clone except it was tanks and you could get hats, I remember that being big around the same time

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

What was the F2P Worms clone except it was tanks and you could get hats, I remember that being big around the same time

gunbound

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The big drawing point was that it was free lol. And when the grind eventually became too much, it morphed into a chatroom you could walk around in. Very much a time & place thing

I went back to it two ywars ago, and it looked like they really cut down the grind imo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yeah that was it!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gunbound ruled

is there any modern gunbound

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i put in a psycho amount of hours to grind my maple char to level 120 back in like 2006 and then a couple years later i tried one of the new characters and it took 1/10th the time. makes you think

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's real sad seeing what's become of worms

they made a really fun updated version of it like a decade ago with worms reloaded(edit: literally 11 years ago today it released, wow) and now they're trying a...real time version of it that looks terrible and even the trailer had obvious framerate issues

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Plutonis posted:

Lol Promare is somehow on HBO Max should check it

GKids got a deal with them, so a lot of the stuff they distribute is on there, I believe including the Ghibli library in the US. They even made a whole dub of Life is Short, Walk on Girl like 2 years after it came out for HBO.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The grind in Maple is why I eventually swapped to private servers, personally. The only issue was that eventually private servers always got shut down.

Apparently there's a mobile idler version now? My cousin plays it for a given value of play. You just set it to autofarm and leave your phone for a few hours, it looked like.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

it's real sad seeing what's become of wothe

Worms W.M.D. is really good but five years old at this point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

gunbound ruled

is there any modern gunbound

The modern Gunbound is Gunbound again

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The modern Gunbound is Gunbound again
theres private servers from what i can tell yeah

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
my memory must be terrible because when I saw gunbound I thought gunz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TTyE7cjDJ8

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Holomyth talked about wanting to play Worms on their recent aborted TTRPG session, which could be a fun stream but I really hope they pick a good one. There might actually be more bad entries than good ones at this point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh I thought New Gunbound was a thing and not vapourware lol

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

il_cornuto posted:

There might actually be more bad entries than good ones at this point.

Any time the series has tried to go 3d gameplay it's failed. If it's a 2D entry it's got a far better chance of being good.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gunbound and Gunz were lan house kino

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I played a decent amount of the Worms 3D on GameCube. Not the best game ever, but I did enjoy it.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yuu Morisawa posted:

how often is this updated?

I just do it when a new chat thread is posted, which is around 6 months these days.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/enemy_stand/status/1429994979288436737?s=20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Very excited for the Neco Arc renaissance.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maple being free wasn't really the big thing to me, though that and it probably having low requirements would account for its success. i though it was just cool to have an mmo that was a 2d platformer

my main conception and experience of mmos prior to that was stuff with clicking and autoattacking and having rotations restricted by CDs etc. i've since found some charm in that style with like ffxiv, but for a long time i just hated that so much and only wanted/enjoyed mmos that were closer to action games with direct and constant control of the character

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Gunbound kicked all sorts of rear end, aside from the constant lag because your game would have people from Brazil, USA, and the Philippines all at once.

Bangin' OST as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP_K2lspl8c

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god Gunbound, it's been so fuckin long.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

theres only like one decent gunbound private server and its mostly full of people from latin america with bad connections that will kick you from game lobbies if you speak english that are either hacking or have played so much gunbound that they can perfectly land any shot from anywhere, which is entirely possible but who knows. i tried playing it like 6 months ago and that was my experience

maplestory was fun because it played very differently from anything on the market and if you were willing to put money into it the cosmetics were very robust for the time, and still are today. the official server is still up (even though maplestory 2 died about a year after english launch lmao) and its nowhere near as grindy as it used to be. if you know what youre doing or follow a guide or something, you can get to level 200 and get fifth job in about a day, maybe 2 if youre lackadaisical about it

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Did anyone else play Knight Online

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mostly remember grinding for way too long to become a mage in maple story because it was hard as hell to level up as a novice with all your points in magic stats

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
mecab is what yuuhi would say if neo ranga were current year

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

gaiking lodm is pretty cool looking. should i give it a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_p536Qb8l8

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Paper Lion posted:

theres only like one decent gunbound private server and its mostly full of people from latin america with bad connections that will kick you from game lobbies if you speak english that are either hacking or have played so much gunbound that they can perfectly land any shot from anywhere, which is entirely possible but who knows. i tried playing it like 6 months ago and that was my experience

maplestory was fun because it played very differently from anything on the market and if you were willing to put money into it the cosmetics were very robust for the time, and still are today. the official server is still up (even though maplestory 2 died about a year after english launch lmao) and its nowhere near as grindy as it used to be. if you know what youre doing or follow a guide or something, you can get to level 200 and get fifth job in about a day, maybe 2 if youre lackadaisical about it

Man, MS2 was such a wet fart. I'm not even sure if it's still running in Korea.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

gaiking lodm is pretty cool looking. should i give it a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_p536Qb8l8

its been ages but yeah i enjoyed gaiking 2007 a fair bit, fun kids mecha show, plot moves at a decent enough clip for what it is and theres some good robots

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I tried watching Monster Rancher's dub for the 2nd time after remembering enjoying it as a kid and it really did not age well.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i dont remember the content of what they say, but suezo's english voice whipped rear end and was exactly what i imagined

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah that was Scott McNeil, he's great

Thing is once I found out they cut Hare's fart move which was kind of his signature thing in the games I just tapped out

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

imma be real pissed off if wondance gets cancelled

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Medabots aged better than Monster Rancher just because Nelvana didn't give a gently caress about leaving most of the Japanese text in + it has Imaishi animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zeether posted:

Medabots aged better than Monster Rancher just because Nelvana didn't give a gently caress about leaving most of the Japanese text in + it has Imaishi animation

well which ones getting a switch release, checkmate