Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

the big bad of AFR is 100% Lolth because drizzt is the unquestionably biggest star/Gary stu/hero of the Forgotten Realms and Lolth is his nemesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

There was an unknown PW on Ikoria who hosed with the Ozolith. I have to imagine there's something up there.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Froghammer posted:

There was an unknown PW on Ikoria who hosed with the Ozolith, the Kenriths are 100% going to bump into the Gatewatch, and we're going back to Dominaria so obviously something's up there

I was told that was Oko. My big conspiracy is that the sexy elf PW in Kaldheim that looks exactly like Oko is also secretly Oko, but I have no idea if he even got up to anything in the story. It'd be cool and kind of appropriate if the next big bad guy was UG.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Can a loremaster weigh in on what colour the big bad guy was in the recent sets?

AFR: No lore so no big bad guy I guess, maybe the B Necropotence guy
STX: The WRB demon DFC guy?
KHM: Tibalt (RB) or Vorinclex (G)?
ZNR: No clue
IKO: No clue, I guess one of the legendary wedge monsters?
THB: No clue
ELD: Oko? (GB)
WAR: Bolas? (UBR)

Black is definitely the front runner, but for some reason I think W is in second place franchise wide with Norn and the Kamigawa guy.

A lot of the cards in AFR are of villains. The spider lady and the Beholder kingpin, right?
STX Oriq was the villain trying to summon the demon on the back of the card (he succeeded and the twins took it down)
ZNR Nahiri was messing around with the floaty rocks.
IKO Lukka went a little crazy and killed General Kudro and I think this sparked an invasion of Drannith
THB Heliod was comitted to re-trapping elspeth in the underworld and upon losing was trapped sysyphis style (as depicted in Heliod's Punishment)
Eld Oko turned the king into an Elk and also tried to stop the twins Questing by sicking Garruk on them.
War Bolas.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

A lot of the cards in AFR are of villains. The spider lady and the Beholder kingpin, right?
STX Oriq was the villain trying to summon the demon on the back of the card (he succeeded and the twins took it down)
ZNR Nahiri was messing around with the floaty rocks.
IKO Lukka went a little crazy and killed General Kudro and I think this sparked an invasion of Drannith
THB Heliod was comitted to re-trapping elspeth in the underworld and upon losing was trapped sysyphis style (as depicted in Heliod's Punishment)
Eld Oko turned the king into an Elk and also tried to stop the twins Questing by sicking Garruk on them.
War Bolas.

Depending on if you count Luka’s fox it sounds like W is pretty well represented.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

fadam posted:

Can a loremaster weigh in on what colour the big bad guy was in the recent sets?

AFR: No lore so no big bad guy I guess, maybe the B Necropotence guy
STX: The WRB demon DFC guy?
KHM: Tibalt (RB) or Vorinclex (G)?
ZNR: No clue
IKO: No clue, I guess one of the legendary wedge monsters?
THB: No clue
ELD: Oko? (GB)
WAR: Bolas? (UBR)

Black is definitely the front runner, but for some reason I think W is in second place franchise wide with Norn and the Kamigawa guy.

ZNR was Nahiri doing ecoterrorism (RW)
IKO was the General Kudro guy (BW) and whoever tweaked the Ozolith to make all the monsters go crazy
THB was, uhhh Ashiok and the underworld God (Phenax?) but also Heliod for teamkilling Elspeth in the first place
ELD was...Oko?
War was Bolas

White seems to be up there but mostly either "corrupted into going too far by some other color's influence" or pure white "uh oh too much zealotry, you've circled back around to fascism" stuff.

They gotta switch it up and do a White villain who is a hardcore ascetic - they don't want anything but they don't want anyone else to have anything either - just eternal peace and silence- and are somehow powerful enough to force it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

They gotta switch it up and do a White villain who is a hardcore ascetic - they don't want anything but they don't want anyone else to have anything either - just eternal peace and silence- and are somehow powerful enough to force it.
hell yeah my dude

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

On Kaldheim, Tibalt was the villain. I don’t know what exactly what we was doing, probably trying to start a war between the different factions or something.

Vorinclex was a side story. He used the phyrexians’ new jank-rear end planeswalking technology to come to the plane, get a sample of the stuff the gods of Kaldheim use to make themselves immortal, and leave.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Ariong posted:

On Kaldheim, Tibalt was the villain. I don’t know what exactly what we was doing, probably trying to start a war between the different factions or something.

Vorinclex was a side story. He used the phyrexians’ new jank-rear end planeswalking technology to come to the plane, get a sample of the stuff the gods of Kaldheim use to make themselves immortal, and leave.
Vorinclex put some kind of poison seed in Tibalt to force him to put up a distraction but according to Tibalt he wanted to gently caress up Kaldheim anyway.

quote:

See, this Horrible Beast had heard about Tibalt's many talents and desperately needed his help. The beast knew that a handsome and powerful planeswalker such as Tibalt would never stoop to helping a hideous, stupid monster unless his hand was forced, so the Horrible Beast snuck up on him one day and stuck Tibalt with a nasty, tricky sort of poison. He called this poison a "seed"—and the only way the Horrible Beast would remove it was if Tibalt caused a distraction on his behalf.

What the monster didn't realize was that Tibalt had already been planning to stir up trouble in Kaldheim. So, while the wise and mighty planeswalker agreed to the Horrible Beast's terms, he was really only doing what he had meant to do anyway.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

lol at the image of a big ol' flesh zombie dinosaur "sneaking" up on anything. Can't picture it without hanna-barbara sound effects.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The World Inferno posted:

lol at the image of a big ol' flesh zombie dinosaur "sneaking" up on anything. Can't picture it without hanna-barbara sound effects.

yeah he is lying to save face, 'clex paralyzes gods just by approaching, Tibalt never had a chance

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

fadam posted:

STX: Extus (WB)
KHM: Tibalt (RB)
ZNR: Nahiri (WR)
IKO: Lukka (R)
THB: Heliod (W) and Ashiok(UB)
ELD: Oko (UG)
WAR: Bolas (UBR)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

4 black, 4 red, 3 white, 3 blue, 1 green. Need a little of that nature’s wrath it looks like.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Didn't they say that the villain on IKO was the WB human lord? I think it was when they posted the art direction notes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He was the antagonist since he triggered the whole mess by banishing Lukka, but Lukka was the one who decided to use his powers to manipulate the Ozolith and take control over all the monsters. He then tried to destroy his home city with the monsters to show them how effective they would be at protecting it.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

ilmucche posted:

Maybe it can ne forgiven if they make a street fighter card called "Go home and be a family man"
I want a split second counterfeit spell changing all treasure tokens in play into Bison Dollar tokens

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He was the antagonist since he triggered the whole mess by banishing Lukka, but Lukka was the one who decided to use his powers to manipulate the Ozolith and take control over all the monsters. He then tried to destroy his home city with the monsters to show them how effective they would be at protecting it.
Lukka's whole story thing so far seems to be getting into a bad situation not necessarily by his own fault but then proceeding to escalate that situation until everything is hosed up.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really hope streets of new capenna up and steals the art direction and design from the legend of Korra

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I hope Garruk shows up on New Capenna just because I want to see him in a fedora and pinstripe suit

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought Oko was (probably) the unnamed "meddler" who hosed up the Ozolith?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Retcon posted:

Lukka's whole story thing so far seems to be getting into a bad situation not necessarily by his own fault but then proceeding to escalate that situation until everything is hosed up.

Case in point, Strixhaven. He arrived on the plane, and kept getting attacked by xenophobic natives who assumed he was part of the Oriq. After his frustration reached a boiling point, what did he do? Sought out and joined the Oriq just to spite the natives instead of just doing the sensible thing and planeswalking the gently caress out of there.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There's a disconnect between "we need our Planeswalkers to be relatable" and "they can go to another reality at will" that I don't think gets addressed (though I've only ever read story recaps). Even without the godlike powers of oldwalkers that kind of thing would warp a person.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Idc if he can talk to animals or teleport or whatever, a guy who constantly fucks everything up and everyone dislikes is very relatable.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

There's a disconnect between "we need our Planeswalkers to be relatable" and "they can go to another reality at will" that I don't think gets addressed (though I've only ever read story recaps). Even without the godlike powers of oldwalkers that kind of thing would warp a person.

it's just aping the style of marvel movies where your protagonist has godlike powers but also likes to make one liner jokes about how much they love bacon

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I like the “You Come To a River” style of card naming but I accept that it is a step along a road that leads to a constructed playable rare called Well That Just Happened

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Can they still planeswalk on a whim? I don’t get why Planeswalkers ever really get stuck in jams except in Eternal Sun situations where they’re stuck somewhere if you can just multidimensionally skip town whenever you want to

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I like the “You Come To a River” style of card naming but I accept that it is a step along a road that leads to a constructed playable rare called Well That Just Happened

They Fly Now?! - U - Instant

Stormtroopers you control gain +1/+1 and flying until end of turn.

They fly now.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mike N Eich posted:

Can they still planeswalk on a whim? I don’t get why Planeswalkers ever really get stuck in jams except in Eternal Sun situations where they’re stuck somewhere if you can just multidimensionally skip town whenever you want to

As I understand it, kinda? It's not effortless and if you're not going somewhere you've been already you show up somewhere completely random, not sure about anything else.

Also Maro is strongly suggesting on his blog that neukamigawa is less futuristic than the teaser suggests.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The only tech advancement on Kamigawa was bottling up spirits to power the neon lights

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
Is chemistry the same throughout the multiverse?

I see lots of blue and pink lights, but none of the distinct orange glow of neon...

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm still holding out for a set based on David Mamet's classic, glengarry glenross, so I can tap Florida swampland to cast My Watch Costs as Much as Your Car, and Coffee is for Closers.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What's third prize at the Glengarry Glen Ross GP?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

odiv posted:

What's third prize at the Glengarry Glen Ross GP?

DQ and 6 month suspension

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lone Goat posted:

DQ and 6 month suspension

Speaking of

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1430892333977849862?s=20

Zac Elsik comes to mind because he was a well liked local grinder who everyone always seemed to have a suspicious situation where his "mistakes" were beneficial to him. The story that tops them all were when he waited until he was facing down lethal to lose the match, to raise an issue with his opponent using double sided cards in pink dragon shields that were only 99.5% opaque. SCGCON top 8 win and in match btw.

The inside story was that in that moment he was desperate, didn't even know if the sleeves were see through enough, but rolled the dice with the judge anyway and got lucky. It didn't seem to garner the pats on the back from people he told that he believed it would, so much he ended up moving out of the area after the fallout..

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't remember his name but I remember the week when that guy who shuffled all his opponent's lands to the top/bottom of their deck at some SCG on camera got caught and then freaked out on facebook about keyboard warriors was very funny.

Also the amulet player who put the really rare turn 1 kill onto the top of his library a bunch of times during a tournament and then was surprised when he got caught.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 26, 2021

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I mean, if all the planes are just reskinned Earth cultures we can do this ourselves by jumping on a real-world plane

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fadam posted:

I don't remember his name but I remember the week that guy who shuffled all his opponent's lands to the top/bottom of their deck at some SCG on camera and then freaked out on facebook about keyboard warriors was very funny.

Its the best for sure. He was also under the gun for getting caught using proxies in a local legacy even (which who cares) but got caught because he was trading other legacy proxy cards as real cards in between rounds.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

Its the best for sure. He was also under the gun for getting caught using proxies in a local legacy even (which who cares) but got caught because he was trading other legacy proxy cards as real cards in between rounds.

lmao goddamn what a slimeball

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I remember someone eating a DQ for being able to cut to a specific card in their deck due to the distribution of foils and non-foils. The hilarious part is it happened because the eventual DQ-eater called a judge to complain about his opponent doing it, and then to prove his point cut to a specific card in his own deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

I remember someone eating a DQ for being able to cut to a specific card in their deck due to the distribution of foils and non-foils. The hilarious part is it happened because the eventual DQ-eater called a judge to complain about his opponent doing it, and then to prove his point cut to a specific card in his own deck.

That was Fabiano. He was also the type of scumbag who was almost completely open about it, so I almost respect him for it. I also beat him with bogles at an scg event and he was a toxic gently caress the entire way through.