Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I've noticed a difference in enamel quality between my Le Creuset stuff and the Cuisinart pan I've got... the Cuisinart has chipped at the hanging hook, and I don't have a lot of faith in.

Misen suckered me in for the last time with their huge enamel Dutch oven, and I really really like it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

GordonComstock posted:

Probably over thinking this, but I want a fish spatula, and the wusthoff recommended by America's Test Kitchen is out of stock. Anyone got one that they really like and recommend? I can always get a generic one if I need to, but I wanted to see if someone here really loves theirs.

I think I have an oxo I got for $5 like a decade ago that is chugging along? The handle is melted in a bunch of places but it has worked great all this time. Can't really imagine what more I'd want from it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I like winco’s fish spatula

New Winco FST-6 6.5-Inch Blade Fish Spatula https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01789ZOBU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2PKMETPPT03APK5C927W

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I’ve had that one for a decade and it’s still perfect.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

I've noticed a difference in enamel quality between my Le Creuset stuff and the Cuisinart pan I've got... the Cuisinart has chipped at the hanging hook, and I don't have a lot of faith in.
yeah people gripe about Le Creuset prices but that poo poo will outlive you. my parents got their le creuset set right after they got married: egg pan and 2 dutch ovens. they have been using them almost every day for 40 years.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The quality of the enamel on the amazon basics dutch oven is really lacking. It has some pockmarks in it and 80% of it's use is baking bread. I suspect the enamel and the underlaying cast iron aren't bonded as well as you'd find with the more expensive offerings and as they heat/cool at different rates the enamel is weakened.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Yeah even my lodge has a few hairlines in it. But I have a hard time convincing myself to pay the premium for Staub or LeCreuset

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My Le Creuset is heavy as poo poo and I feel like a wimp cooking with it

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

My Le Creuset is heavy as poo poo and I feel like a wimp cooking with it

I have a Lagostina and ity heavy as poo poo too. He'll, the cheap PC cast iron frying pan is heavy as poo poo, but for $25 Canada kopecks I couldn't resist.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

therobit posted:

Yeah even my lodge has a few hairlines in it. But I have a hard time convincing myself to pay the premium for Staub or LeCreuset

You can get Staub for under a hundred bucks on black friday, usually. My 4 quart Staub is the most used pot in my kitchen.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Canuckistan tire is selling Paderno enameled Dutch ovens for 80 kopecks right now.
"PADERNO Dutch Oven, Red, 5-qt Canadian Tire" https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...=aw.ds#store=44

It's strange! I want it!

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 24, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

I ended up buying one of the MLB logo le creuset dutch ovens after all... I feel like I'm definitely going to regret it every time I have to look at it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I originally had a Lodge and loved it. But after a couple of years of near weekly use the enemal started to chip and I went with Le Creuset.

Eight years later and its enemal is holding up just fine, even with my notoriously clumsy wife using it a dozen times or so.

On one hand I think I'd rather hear my child's death rattle than buy anything with a Red Sox logo on it. On the other, it would probably gain me some sort of passes bringing it to my New England relatives for holiday dinners.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

mystes posted:

I ended up buying one of the MLB logo le creuset dutch ovens after all... I feel like I'm definitely going to regret it every time I have to look at it.

Lol, defending it forever. "NO, I'm not a cubs fan. It was cheap and I like the color!"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I guess if you're really worried about it you could just write something rude about the team next to the logo using header paint or something.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

I guess if you're really worried about it you could just write something rude about the team next to the logo using header paint or something.

Red Sox my balls!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It would be cool if your name was Chris and you got the Cubs one with the big C logo. Who else has monogrammed Le Creuset??

The Yankees one is prob harder to pass off that way

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You could buy a cheap one and keep an eye out for an orphaned similar color lid on eBay or whatever.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GordonComstock posted:

Probably over thinking this, but I want a fish spatula, and the wusthoff recommended by America's Test Kitchen is out of stock. Anyone got one that they really like and recommend? I can always get a generic one if I need to, but I wanted to see if someone here really loves theirs.

Bit late on this, but I have this one and it's worked flawlessly, still in great shape after several years of regular use.

Although wow, I bought it at $20 and it's up to $35. Yikes.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Bit late on this, but I have this one and it's worked flawlessly, still in great shape after several years of regular use.

Although wow, I bought it at $20 and it's up to $35. Yikes.

just like their knives, it's available much cheaper with a plastic handle

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Roommate moved out and left this behind

It has that soft rubberized coating, but after a decade of just collecting dust in his closet, it’s sticky

Is there an easy fix for that

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I didn’t know the food network made sex toys.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Steve Yun posted:

It has that soft rubberized coating, but after a decade of just collecting dust in his closet, it’s sticky

I've heard that when this happens with video game controllers, the best thing to do is to use them and the oils from your hands will help restore it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Lube? Make sure to use a silicone-safe one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That matte rubbery coating just degrades over time. You can use rubbing alcohol to remove it and reveal the regular hard black plastic underneath.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Isopropanol alcohol. Usually you can get it from drug stores or Walmart and poo poo.

Get a spray bottle if you can. Spray it on paper towels and rub. That is is like magic for those rubberized coatings (really it just melts the coating off and leaves the raw plastic).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In my experience it's not enough to wipe down the rubber with alcohol, particularly if it's thick rubber. You kinda have to scrape it off and then apply the alcohol to the plastic underneath.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ah, yes... a rabbit

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

The first thing I would try is warm soapy water. If that doesn't work then use a very mild abrasive like baking soda. The idea being you are just gently removing the outer layers to get to good material underneath.

After that probably just alcohol and pull the top layer off completely.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just wanted to say after I failed to convert my grill into a wok burner I just bought a stand alone set up. Life altering. The wok hei comes so easily. My first time using it I tossed in some garlic, ginger, and scallions into the hot oil and they blacked immediately. Had to turn the thing down to about 1/4 power to cook.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Hell yeah wok cooking is so fun.

I'm really into any cooking that has me outside because I stop giving a gently caress about making messes or smoking the place out.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
On a related note, recommended fire extinguisher to go with the wok cooking?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bamhand posted:

my memory is that all the First Alert fire stuff has good ratings, but I've fortunately never had to test mine

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

bamhand posted:

Keep a full box of salt with the lid ripped off near the wok. It’s how you put out uncontrolled fire INSIDE the wok. Just dump the whole thing in on top of whatever is on Fire. Costs $1 instead of $50+ for the fire extinguisher use.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

bamhand posted:

Just wanted to say after I failed to convert my grill into a wok burner I just bought a stand alone set up. Life altering. The wok hei comes so easily. My first time using it I tossed in some garlic, ginger, and scallions into the hot oil and they blacked immediately. Had to turn the thing down to about 1/4 power to cook.

Oooh did you try to use the side burner or a gas grill? I was toying with the idea of swapping the dinky 10k btu with a higher output burner.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I have a Weber Spirit 310. There's a grill gate with a hole in the middle that fits a wok. That set up barely led to any heat at all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

That matte rubbery coating just degrades over time. You can use rubbing alcohol to remove it and reveal the regular hard black plastic underneath.

Would Goo Gone work?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just wanted to add, if you ever wanted a rich brown crispy outside crust but still rare steak. The wok burner will do it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Would Goo Gone work?
In my experience (NARS whyyyyyy), not very well

e: unless I'm thinking of Goof Off. One of those doesn't work well and the other I haven't tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
So I'm moving soon and I need to pick up....a lot of things. I'm pretty set for the most part on the cooking side, but I have nearly nothing for dishes and eating utensils. I've heard that shops that are more geared towards businesses are a good place to get these if cheapness and functionality are all that matters. It at least seems like commercial-oriented flatware is much cheaper than the cool branded flatware, and I wouldn't mind having a lot more spoons. Basic white dishes are fine for now, I just need them to not explode if they go in the dishwasher or microwave

I'm also looking at picking up a stick blender--is the cuisinart still the way to go? I noticed that vitamix came out with a hand blender last year, and it's not that much more than the higher end cuisinarts. That's with a $20 off sale at costco right now. Anyone have any experience with them?