Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Cytube and psp-tv have the same code essentially. You can stream non-youtube videos. It just requires that you either install OBS and stream your screen using a streaming service (potentially dicey tho bc Content licensing violations can get you banned from places). I gotta figure some other beeswax out about streaming services or get a server set up to stream from before I can commit to full time doing that, plus my schedule sucks. I'd be happy to post my notes here from what I find out tho if someone wants to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Ah, well darn.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Ok I am likely free next Monday through Thursday and can gently caress about with streaming of anyone wants to watch really loving stupid stuff in between movie nights

BoldFrankensteinMir

If only we had like a big grant or something, so movie nites could watch whatever we wanted, free and clear. You watchin', Mcarthur grant people? Deluxe BYOB movie nights! Make it happen!

Me:

Hello Mr. Mcarthur Grant (or whoever). Please drop a million dollars on the 'Yob so every poster can try out one new streaming service together for three months, every three months, for the next five years.

Mr Grant Mcarthur or Whatever:

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 24, 2021

Sig by Heather Papps

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Why is John Cleese terrible and ruining my childhood?????

BoldFrankensteinMir

Mormon Nailer posted:

Why is John Cleese terrible and ruining my childhood?????

That's a complex question. Cleese has always been an enormous rear end in a top hat even to his supposed friends- him and Terry Jones were famously not okay with each other for a long time. Abrasiveness has always been part of his routine, but I don't think anybody figures it's just an act anymore, he seems like a fairly pointy individual in real life.

Now the question of how he got away with being pointy for so long, that one's easy- because his education was in law. Cleese is (or was, for a long time) a registered barrister. He knows how to say juuuuust enough to hit, but not enough to get hit. It was a very similar case with Graham Chapman who was a trained medical doctor, and that gave him a lot of leeway to make fun of medicine and illness but still come out unscathed (he once walked into a hotel buffet completely naked and said "don't worry ladies it's alright, I'm a doctor", and the report is everyone laughed and let him). Same thing with Terry Jones and classic lit, with Michael Palin and world travel, Eric Idle and the entertainment world and Terry Gilliam and the world of fine art cinema. The Pythons were a group of heavily trained scholars who knew their realms inside and out, it's easy to forget when they're being buffoons.

I assume you're talking about his new "Cancel Me" show that's in the news? I haven't seen it yet but I do not expect him to be gentle with it, that's for sure.

Sig by Heather Papps

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm rather fine with just not watching anything he's done ever again

Heather Papps

hello friend

Mormon Nailer posted:

I'm rather fine with just not watching anything he's done ever again

i had a the same feeling after the ninabomb dropped. there's more then enough stuff that exists to make it easy to just remove certain people from the list. i had this conversation with someone about micheal jackson and my whole perspective was my life wouldn't be worse never hearing his voice again, and i've had my fill of python already, i guess. i mean there is a bunch of other guys who don't make a point of being intentionally abrasive.

on the other hand i'm glad we get to know. it must have been rough in the pre digital age being a huge fan of something or someone then eventually finding out how much they suck when things reached a fever pitch, or after they died and a biography was released.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Robot Made of Meat

Heather Papps posted:

i had a the same feeling after the ninabomb dropped. there's more then enough stuff that exists to make it easy to just remove certain people from the list. i had this conversation with someone about micheal jackson and my whole perspective was my life wouldn't be worse never hearing his voice again, and i've had my fill of python already, i guess. i mean there is a bunch of other guys who don't make a point of being intentionally abrasive.

on the other hand i'm glad we get to know. it must have been rough in the pre digital age being a huge fan of something or someone then eventually finding out how much they suck when things reached a fever pitch, or after they died and a biography was released.

With Cleese, you didn't really have to wait. His autobiography pretty much says that he's a jerk.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

BoldFrankensteinMir

I'm gonna fess up here and admit I don't know what Cleese did. I'm not defending him, but I can't find any recent news about him other than him doing the Cancel Culture show and writing a mean hotel review in Canada. What did he say?

Whatever it is I'm sure it's a legit complaint, because he is a famous rear end in a top hat after all. But man, no more Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Fish Called Wanda, Time Bandits or Starship Titanic... that's a deep cut for me. I'm sad for all the other artists involved, Star Ship Titanic especially is a serious accomplishment for Douglas Adams, who from all accounts was a very progressive guy. Cleese isn't even credited as himself, he's "Kim Bread" in the credits, as the voice of the bomb. Ironic.

Sig by Heather Papps

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Well, for starters, he's been defending Rowling's transphobia, and making a shitload of racially charged statements, and now this. He's also got some pretty awful takes on nearly anything to do with any person who isn't just like him.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Like, watch what you want and enjoy what you want but I don't really want to give any bandwidth to someone who doesn't think I'm a person, basically, no matter how talented they are.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Gotcha, I didn't realize he had associated himself with Rowling in that regard. That follows.

Sig by Heather Papps

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
to each their own but we are all human and have our faults and to me i appreciate the art independent of the human and to remove the art is wrong because at the end of the day we can find fault with everyone if we try hard enough. tell the story of the artist no matter how terrible but don't forget that we're all human and appreciate that even the worst of us still can create something beautiful.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Oh wait you know what? Duh. Of course John Cleese said transphobic stuff, he has a transphobic rant in Life of Bryan, during the arena scene. We just watched it. gently caress. How did I not put that together until now?

Later in the film his character SEEMS to have advanced, by agreeing to all the pronoun changes in the Judaean People's Front proposal for action. But he hasn't come around on his defining womanhood by fertility, that's left unresolved.

drat, that poo poo really is pervasive.

Sig by Heather Papps

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Oh wait you know what? Duh. Of course John Cleese said transphobic stuff, he has a transphobic rant in Life of Bryan, during the arena scene. We just watched it. gently caress. How did I not put that together until now?

Later in the film his character SEEMS to have advanced, by agreeing to all the pronoun changes in the Judaean People's Front proposal for action. But he hasn't come around on his defining womanhood by fertility, that's left unresolved.

drat, that poo poo really is pervasive.

please separate the art from the artist. please. imho i am much farther left than the people trying to erase art from our collective observation and enjoyment and it pains me to see the hate people are throwing at people they disagree with here. i don't want to personally attack anyone who is posting here so i'll leave it at that and stop participating in this thread and the movie nights but drat i couldn't disagree with you all more than i am tonight.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Hmm, I find myself trapped between two views I respect.

On the one hand, hurtful media should be considered carefully when casting a spotlight on titles. It's one thing to enjoy art myself, another to share it with people in this public square. I think that is a special consideration to be made.

On the other hand I see the point that censoring art is regressive, and I'm shocked to have what I've said be characterized as "hate" but, I can see it. I don't hate John Cleese. But I am engaging in a judgement of his moral character here.

Hm. Movie nite raises difficult questions and scenarios. I was taught that this is what art is for, but I've never been less sure about how that works specifically. Hm.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Oh man this goes so deep, because another recent John Cleese thing is he argued against the BBC removing an episode of Fawlty Towers where an old man uses racial slurs. His defense was that the character was being mocked for those views- that he agrees with the critics, those views are reprehensible, and therefore censoring the mockery is actually regressive.

So now I'm thinking about Life of Brian and the conflict between Loretta and Reg. Judith's compromise that Loretta should have the right to have babies even if she can't medically have them, I'm trying to figure out how that's aligned, along Cleese's idea of the work having a definitive alignment towards the characters and their views. Is it a satire on the People's Front of Judea being ineffective bureaucrats, that they're fighting for rights that are being presented as trivial? Or is Judith's compromise an example of legitimate moral clarity (as her character is capable of later in the film)? I'm genuinely not sure, but it seems possible that the film is actually on the right side of history in presenting the wrong side of it via satire. But it's also possibly not.

And if I'm not sure what the film's point on a subject is, how do I weigh the act of furthering that work's exposure? I'm going on Cleese's claim that there is a direction to the ethical thrust of his satire, but it could also be a case of Schrodinger's rear end in a top hat and I'm being played. I don't know.

gently caress now I'm really curious to see Cleese's new special and I absolutely was not before all this came up, that is some serious Streisand Effect at play.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight! For Coupons & Deals movie night, we're going FULL-ON VARNEY MODE with my personal favorite entry in the Ernest canon (that's a joke, son), Ernest Rides Again!

The final Ernest film to be theatrically released, Rides Again was a box office flop but a critical success, leading to the era of lesser direct-to-video Ernest titles. But it was shown with a Mr. Bill cartoon, which we will watch. Plus retro commercials, safety videos, hell maybe even a whole other movie all starring the incomparable Mr. James Albert Varney Jr., knowwutimean Verne?

Movie starts at midnight GMT after an hour of shorts, at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Sig by Heather Papps

Tampa Bae

Please, this is all I have
I'm happy to watch my first ever Ernest movie with my brand new friends. I hope it's good or bad enough to rollback into being good!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Movie nite has begun! https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Edit- In case you missed this incredible intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Eyytu7lL4

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 26, 2021

Sig by Heather Papps

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I don't want to turn this into a massive argument, but I do want to just say, that I agree with luvcow.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Manifisto

I find it kinda unfortunate that this has to be framed even as something for there to be a dispute on, especially since it revolves around the (alleged) bad actions of the artists themselves--they are the ones that have created the issue, it shouldn't be our problem to think through the ramifications and stake out a position. for the record my take on the discussion here is that people have been stating their own perspectives and not criticizing others for taking differing views, I certainly hope that's the case.

lots of relatively nuanced stuff has been written about this issue, making imo pertinent distinctions between living and dead artists, and the extent to which the artist is parlaying their notoriety/fame into taking a visible and influential stand on something unrelated to their works. I don't at all agree with people who wish to censor other people's media consumption based on something the artist did unrelated to their work, but I set a pretty high bar for "censorship" here and I think people are within their rights to refine/change their opinions of an artist's works based on their extrinsic opinions and actions. perhaps that is a bad way of going about understanding and critiquing art but surely this is an area where opinions can legitimately differ and may reflect aesthetic differences that aren't subject to rational debate. also, there is a significant difference between censoring someone and not wanting to give them a platform or various plaudits/awards (the works should be able to stand on their own imo, and plaudits and awards are so goddamn arbitrary anyway).

luvcow's point about nobody being perfect is well taken, and honestly so many artists are disappointing as human beings when you scrutinize their personal lives. conversely, being a good human being does not make you a good artist. however I think we are at a point where sweeping artists' shortcomings under the rug is counterproductive and risks creating false narratives that sort of rewrite history. do great artists deserve a "personal legacy," or is their long term importance limited to what they created? many of our discussions about this issue are tainted by our modern notions of "celebrity" and whose opinions deserve to be valued. in an ideal world nobody would listen to a rowling or a cleese about stuff unrelated to their work (at least, would not listen to them any more than anyone else absent significant personal expertise) but we all know that's not how people think.

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

I find it kinda unfortunate that this has to be framed even as something for there to be a dispute on, especially since it revolves around the (alleged) bad actions of the artists themselves--they are the ones that have created the issue, it shouldn't be our problem to think through the ramifications and stake out a position. for the record my take on the discussion here is that people have been stating their own perspectives and not criticizing others for taking differing views, I certainly hope that's the case.

lots of relatively nuanced stuff has been written about this issue, making imo pertinent distinctions between living and dead artists, and the extent to which the artist is parlaying their notoriety/fame into taking a visible and influential stand on something unrelated to their works. I don't at all agree with people who wish to censor other people's media consumption based on something the artist did unrelated to their work, but I set a pretty high bar for "censorship" here and I think people are within their rights to refine/change their opinions of an artist's works based on their extrinsic opinions and actions. perhaps that is a bad way of going about understanding and critiquing art but surely this is an area where opinions can legitimately differ and may reflect aesthetic differences that aren't subject to rational debate. also, there is a significant difference between censoring someone and not wanting to give them a platform or various plaudits/awards (the works should be able to stand on their own imo, and plaudits and awards are so goddamn arbitrary anyway).

luvcow's point about nobody being perfect is well taken, and honestly so many artists are disappointing as human beings when you scrutinize their personal lives. conversely, being a good human being does not make you a good artist. however I think we are at a point where sweeping artists' shortcomings under the rug is counterproductive and risks creating false narratives that sort of rewrite history. do great artists deserve a "personal legacy," or is their long term importance limited to what they created? many of our discussions about this issue are tainted by our modern notions of "celebrity" and whose opinions deserve to be valued. in an ideal world nobody would listen to a rowling or a cleese about stuff unrelated to their work (at least, would not listen to them any more than anyone else absent significant personal expertise) but we all know that's not how people think.

reasonable take ty

and to be clear i love bfm and what he does here and we did talk via pm

Stoner Sloth

i think all art exists with context - including the artist and the audience and the broader society within which it is created and within which it is viewed. It's harder to dismiss offensive attitudes expressed in a work of art as outdated or of their time, for example, if the artist has continued to express those views to the present day.

anyways speaking of context; let's not forget that the context here is the chill forum movie nights with posting pals.

as such imo it'd be cool and good to make at least most of the movies we watch as inclusive as possible but there's also going to be stuff that some folks might not want to watch for any number of reasons, which is fair enough really, and provided they are forewarned then it shouldn't be a problem? (within reason but I don't think anyone really wants to screen anything that should be too problematic do they?)

BoldFrankensteinMir

Manifisto posted:

there is a significant difference between censoring someone and not wanting to give them a platform

I agree with Mani on their entire point but this especially deserves to be reinforced because it's key. Artists do not have a right to an audience. We are not bound to promote them and thereby depriving anybody of anything if we don't. It's a bitter pill to swallow but every performer worth their salt knows the audience can and will turn away from them over absolutely anything that displeases, real or imagined, definable or not, and no amount of stomping your feet and complaining about fairness can change that. It didn't work for Fatty Arbuckle and it didn't work for Mike Richards. If there is a right in entertainment, it's the audience's right, to tune in or out as they please.

Would we want it any other way? If we say it's wrong to look away from a performer because of their politics, but perfectly fine to look away because a younger hotter pop-star had a dancier song that week, what priorities are we expressing there? My personal beliefs about justice and world affairs are not acceptable reasons to pick my media, but my passing aesthetic tastes are? What??? And the solution is not to take away my right to pick a different movie because I don't like the fonts in the poster. I have the right to pick a movie for any dumb reason I want, so I should have the right to pick them for any smart reason too.

Nobody here is trying to censor any artist from promoting their own work or restrict any viewer from viewing it, what we're trying to do is figure out which artists we're comfortable promoting as a group (a tiny casual movie club of like 20 people max, let's keep in mind), something that we are under no obligation to do in the first place. I agree with Mani that everybody has just been expressing their personal views here and I am very glad to be part of such a polite examination of the issue, it's a vivid conversation about a timely subject and we're doing great! I've talked to a bunch of y'all individually about this and I understand there are some strong feelings at play, but really, we're all closer than we realize in our opinions here, I believe that. As we explore media together we're going to come across stuff we particularly want to share and stuff we particularly don't want to share, and I am always glad to hear anyone's reasons for either, it's a conversation and conversations are essential to enjoying this art form that is both made and enjoyed in groups. it's easy to forget how rare the performing arts are in that respect. Getting along is involved in every stage of stagecraft.

If an artist or a film is problematic for you, please speak up, it's okay to say you don't want to watch a movie here for any reason or no reason. "That looks boring" is a perfectly acceptable reason, especially if you provide an alternative that you think isn't boring. "That actor is monstrous" can't be given less priority than "I don't feel like martial arts tonight", it makes no sense to do so. To facilitate this I'm going to make an effort to announce the films with more warning, I realize a factor in all this is it's hard to organize your feelings on a film when you're coming into it blind.

And don't worry, we're not gonna run out of movies even if we're picky, at two a week we'll be out of available titles in like, 45,000 years? Maybe? If we're still running Dyson Sphere 8 Movie Nite, we'll deal with the problem then.

Sig by Heather Papps

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
this is just my opinion so dont go getting mad at me but transphobes, imo, are dumb

BoldFrankensteinMir

Plant MONSTER. posted:

this is just my opinion so dont go getting mad at me but transphobes, imo, are dumb

I agree with the sentiment. I am tempted to defend any phobic as suffering from a legitimate disorder but, in the particular cases of homophobia and transphobia a very violent history of cultural reinforcement really depletes my sympathies.

Sig by Heather Papps

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
a huge and accurate complaint I hear about the far right is that they live in echo chambers and they cut out people who don't toe the line. one thing I have been adamant about in my life is not cutting off people I know because I disagree with their politics or are ignorant on certain issues important to me. my fear is that what has happened already on the site many times will happen again where a very vocal small group of people will label and then censor what everyone else can see or talk about. a large number of posters I knew here have already left for exactly these reasons and they are not coming back, nor were they bad people.

BoldFrankensteinMir

That's a very serious concern, Luvcow, I hear you, but I don't think anybody here wants to limit what others can see or say. I know that for me, personally, when I talk about being sad that media is "off the table" I don't mean it's literally destroyed or should be forgotten, I don't want to throw anything (or anyone) in the oubliette. I'm lamenting the fact that a piece of media has become niche, or an antique, that's all. I love many movies that are not appropriate for general viewing, and that category is growing every day as other films come out, and I think that's just how it's supposed to work. The show must go on :)

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

i like when movies are bad in the sense of "these people tried their best to make something good and maybe even think they did, but the movie is bad anyways" but not when i find out that someone i thought was a neat human has some pretty vile opinions. when we watched seder masochism i don't think anyone knew about ninas stance on trans issues, and if i or bfm at least had been aware we'd have shown something else.

after that discovery, (thanks haggy for the work), bfm and i have tried pretty hard to do the research on movies we pick, but we have blind spots. in a month where the theme is stuff we like i could have easily put on seven brides for seven brothers, a musical i grew up with that is legitimately horrifying in hindsight.

i love movie night, it's been a huge amount of fun for me personally, and finding out that i'd specifically hurt one of my pals by platforming someone who denies their right to exist because i didn't pay enough attention would kill me, and i'm glad that when we have made mis-steps, like with the nina thing, people have been pretty understanding.

the whole idea of movie nite has been half of it should be intentionally bad, and half of it intentionally good. it's a weird dumb high rope act and i am beyond grateful for the patience you've given us, be it movies with lovely auto translate, or films that are blocked that we discover at the last minute, or when we platform someone we should have done more research into. we are trying, however pale of an excuse that is.

gently caress this post got long better go make a pun in another thread quickly

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
HE'S A DINOSAUR!!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Sig by Heather Papps

Plant MONSTER.

For a movie with such a bombastic color palette, it's always extremely dimly lit. I thought it was a question of the video quality at first but no, it really feels it was shot in some weird 90s community college after hours.

Anyway. I think one night should be all commercials.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Anyway. I think one night should be all commercials.

i am down as hell, we could do ten minute blocks from every decade up till the present, really see how the world gets somehow better and kinder but also weirder at the same time

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
does this count PSA advertisements like the ones mst3k loves?

Leraika fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 27, 2021

Heather Papps

hello friend

Leraika posted:

does this count PSA advertisements like the ones mst3k loves?

i REFUSE to learn about nickel.

(yes)

BoldFrankensteinMir

A night of all shorts sounds fantastic, what a great way to end Favorites month.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tomorrow! Saturday, August 28 at 4:00 PM PST/ 7:00 PM EST/ Midnight BST, it's the last movie nite of favorites month, our palate-cleansing month o' mindless summer fun (that has led to sincere discussions about what is appropriate in art, how our favorite things are being forced to change, what songs we're sick of... ah summer time). So break out your swimtrunks for one last dip because we're watchin'... SHORTS!

That's right it's summer time shorts night and it'll go as long as we want it to! Please bring your favorite short youtube links to add to the pool, and remember your web-swimming safety tips:

-Short means less than 30 mins

-No horny in the pool (also no region block or age restricted videos, but especially no horny)

-Voteskip will be on!

-Read the last page or two of this thread, you will see that we are all really trying hard not to offend but also not to take offense, while still being respectful to each other, it's a moving target but we're trying, so please try too and avoid spoiling the fun with unnecessary controversy in your selections also did I mention no horny

-Goku

See you at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies whenever I decide to start showing shorts before we officially start mwahahaha. Happy Summer everyone!

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.

we will need to assemble a panel to discuss what is and isnt horny