Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Such Fun posted:

As a non-physicist, physics seems to be rapidly loosing credibility as it becomes more and more sensationalist. Every few months there’s a new discovery that supposedly changes everything. Soon it’s as much a drinking game as evolutionary psychology.

I liked this video on the subject:
https://youtu.be/f23eWOquFQ0

I’m not really qualified to say if vacuum decay is really a thing, but I’m not sure physicists are either. Get your poo poo together nerds

loving scientists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Such Fun posted:

As a non-physicist, physics seems to be rapidly loosing credibility

Such Fun posted:

As a non-physicist

:magemage:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Your man is Tony Abbott :yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_UJ9_Qhekc

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Lou Takki posted:

Don't confuse actual physics with physics reporting which is absolutely terrible like reporting on any of the sciences.

Science reporting in general is insanely over-hyped. Granted, honest descriptions of experiments and developments are EXTREMELY boring to non-scientists.

I got to work at the LHC a few times with the lab I worked with a years back. The fancy, giant, underground facility with the scary black hole machine*. Everyone I described it to had images of Iron Man and the Davinci Code in their heads but what did I actually do?

I pressed a button to move a platform that was in the beam line to the left, 5cm at a time, then waited 2 minutes, then pressed it again until it had gone about half a meter. Then I pressed another button to move it up 5cm and repeated moving it, but to the right this time. Five centimeters at a time, back, up, forth, up, repeat for 8 hours, change shift, come back in 16 hours for my next shift. Then after we had taken all that data we went home and analyzed the data for 4 months to adjust our detector and refine stuff.

Also people really think that a fancy facility like that would have the coolest most accurate measurement equipment, and that it's all state of the art. And the most important bits are. But for smaller experiments? Well why did they have a post grad sit there for 8 hours at a time to manually move the drat thing? It was a motion platform scavenged from the original construction back in the 70s. Also the "gauge" we used to tell how far we had moved it? A tape measure ducktaped to the floor, with the end of the tape screwed into the platform, with a wire draped across the "reading" point and an ancient webcam pointed at it feeding into a jerry rigged old security monitor. THE HIGHEST OF TECH.

*It does not do anything like that.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

if physics are real then how can bees fly?
checkmate atheist's

As show in the documentary Bee Movie, bees have enough money to ignore laws like gravity, age of consent, and vehicular manslaughter.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Robobot posted:

Everyone knows that bees create miniature gravity wells around themselves to fly. Did you not have biology class in grade school? It's why they move like little UFOs.

I'm pretty sure this is how some spiders can jump near instantaneously, little natural frameshift drives.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Data Graham posted:

Physics isn’t the kind of field where I expect there to be developments that “change everything”

They disproved gravity last week and now everyone is just floating around aimlessly

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Physics is not a mystery cult. You can learn about what’s going on without being a member. And there’s some shenanigans going on, beyond the usual bad reporting.
The video I posted, by a bonafide physicist, goes into this. It’s not a very controversial opinion, I thought.
Bad scientific practices are happening in every field, but since the topic was physics..

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Scientists are in part responsible for hyping up their work because that's what the system rewards. That's all explained very clearly in Science Fictions: How Fraud, Bias, Negligence, and Hype Undermine the Search for Truth, which is going to go down as one of the all-time great popular science books.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Velocity Raptor posted:

I'm pretty sure this is how some spiders can jump near instantaneously, little natural frameshift drives.

All of those cute jumping spiders are teleporters.

Scientists should rig up supersensitive microphones so we can hear the tiny bamf.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I got pretty into following professional chess in high school, because I was very cool, and I was amazed to discover how inaccurate reporting was from outlets like AP, NYT, etc. Any organization that didn't have a dedicated chess person would constantly mess up on incredibly basic details. Not arcane stuff, like strategic principles, but basic things like who certain people were or when things were going to be happening. Every article just absolutely riddled with basic factual errors.

I also like more popular sports, like basketball, and this rarely happens. They might have some dumb analysis, but they rarely make basic factual errors.

So what I learned from that is, if the story is about something they don't cover often, even major outlets will just absolutely gently caress stuff up that would get them an F in a high school journalism class. And reporting on scientific breakthroughs is vastly more complicated than reporting on when a chess tournament will take place. So since then I don't trust even the most basic information in articles about new scientific discoveries, unusual subcultures, or any other subject that the reporter likely hasn't written about at least a hundred times.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Robobot posted:

Everyone knows that bees create miniature gravity wells around themselves to fly. Did you not have biology class in grade school? It's why they move like little UFOs.

Bees are Yuuzhan Vong biotechnology now?

Such Fun posted:

As a non-physicist, physics seems to be rapidly loosing credibility as it becomes more and more sensationalist.

As a physicist, kindly gently caress off and stop conflating us with science "journalists" or Brian Greene.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

As a physicist, kindly gently caress off

No, absolutely not.
I gave you the context of my perspective, and an example from what I believed to be a credible source. No need to behave this aggressive as if I personally attacked you.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Such Fun posted:

Physics is not a mystery cult. You can learn about what’s going on without being a member. And there’s some shenanigans going on, beyond the usual bad reporting.
The video I posted, by a bonafide physicist, goes into this. It’s not a very controversial opinion, I thought.
Bad scientific practices are happening in every field, but since the topic was physics..

But by your own admission you're not qualified to assess exactly where the breakdown is. You have a general suspicion that something is wrong, and an actual physicist pointing out a particular problematic area, and that's kinda it. Those don't combine to provide any kind of useful foundation for broader insight about the field, let alone insights on particular studies.

Edit: If actual scientists tell you to gently caress off that might be a clue that what you've said isn't as clever or novel bas you think, rather than the scientist feeling personally maligned or threatened. They, uh, probably have to deal with bad understanding of their work more often than you do.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Aug 26, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't envy being up that physics ivory tower. It's like, physics are what done turn the map on your phone, meanwhile your press department be like "well we can't rule out a black hole clogging up our tubes" *wink*

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
As a physicist, kindly gently caress on. :c00l:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm having a stroke every time I read an explanation of a quantum physics phenomenon. Complete gibberish to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Such Fun posted:

No, absolutely not.
I gave you the context of my perspective, and an example from what I believed to be a credible source. No need to behave this aggressive as if I personally attacked you.

You have literally just personally attacked a physicist by insulting the credibility of their field and undermining their work.

And doubled down when they pointed out that your source is pretty much scientifically on par with recommendations of alternate COVID "cures" like horse medicine.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

Scientists are in part responsible for hyping up their work because that's what the system rewards. That's all explained very clearly in Science Fictions: How Fraud, Bias, Negligence, and Hype Undermine the Search for Truth, which is going to go down as one of the all-time great popular science books.

Quoting so I can find this later

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I feel like I'm having a stroke every time I read an explanation of a quantum physics phenomenon. Complete gibberish to me.

You should watch PBS Space Time on YouTube, it owns so drat hard.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

But by your own admission you're not qualified to assess exactly where the breakdown is. You have a general suspicion that something is wrong, and an actual physicist pointing out a particular problematic area, and that's kinda it. Those don't combine to provide any kind of useful foundation for broader insight about the field, let alone insights on particular studies.

Yeah, that’s 100% fair.
I have a scientific background (micro biology), and a genuine interest in learning about physics. My own experiences were confirmed by an actual physicist, and my post here was a hyperbole of that sentiment.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
We're all made of physics, so everyone is equally qualified to be a physicologist or whatever.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have literally just personally attacked a physicist by insulting the credibility of their field and undermining their work.

That’s not what a personal attack is.

quote:

And doubled down when they pointed out that your source is pretty much scientifically on par with recommendations of alternate COVID "cures" like horse medicine.

That is just completely false.

Edit: also, I don’t want to continue a derail in these here funny pictures thread. Anybody who wants to is free to slide into my DMs.

Such Fun has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Aug 26, 2021

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That was just good bait, right? Buddy wasn't seriously coming in to say "I don't know poo poo about this extremely complex literally all encompassing field but I have a yt video so the whole field is probably bullshit" in earnest. Right?

Starting to think this internet thing might make you stupid.

E: full transparency, and I'm a huge loving moron.

Pictures!

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Aug 26, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just watch that Loki show. It's gotta be more entertaining than two living pocket protectors wheezing at each other.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
String theory is when I'm wasted at 4am and I think there's mozzarella cheese sticks in the fridge

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

They don't even fit

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Such Fun posted:

physics seems to be rapidly loosing credibility as it becomes more and more sensationalist. Every few months there’s a new discovery that supposedly changes everything.

This is because you watch too much YouTube.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

String theory is when I'm wasted at 4am and I think there's mozzarella cheese sticks in the fridge
My personal string theory is what if we take a sweet cheese, make it in string form, and batter it in Korean corn dog batter?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yoshi Wins posted:

I got pretty into following professional chess in high school, because I was very cool, and I was amazed to discover how inaccurate reporting was from outlets like AP, NYT, etc. Any organization that didn't have a dedicated chess person would constantly mess up on incredibly basic details. Not arcane stuff, like strategic principles, but basic things like who certain people were or when things were going to be happening. Every article just absolutely riddled with basic factual errors.

I also like more popular sports, like basketball, and this rarely happens. They might have some dumb analysis, but they rarely make basic factual errors.

So what I learned from that is, if the story is about something they don't cover often, even major outlets will just absolutely gently caress stuff up that would get them an F in a high school journalism class. And reporting on scientific breakthroughs is vastly more complicated than reporting on when a chess tournament will take place. So since then I don't trust even the most basic information in articles about new scientific discoveries, unusual subcultures, or any other subject that the reporter likely hasn't written about at least a hundred times.

Then, in a fit of Gell‐Mann Amnesia, you read the rest of the paper.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

zedprime posted:

My personal string theory is what if we take a sweet cheese, make it in string form, and batter it in Korean corn dog batter?

Hear me out

Ten babybels
On a stick
Rolled in korean corn dog batter
And dusted with Tony Chachere's

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Brb writing a sex comedy about two scientist gently caress buddies called No Strings Attached Theory

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

schrödinger's cheese

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

apropos of physics chat, i would like to lodge a complaint about the overall state of underwear these days, which is that they are full of poo poo. just every piece of underwear, all the time, full of human poo. it has been 8 weeks now and, based on all available evidence, it is impossible to not have disgustingly soiled underwear

i will not be taking questions at this time

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Such Fun posted:

No, absolutely not.

Hahahaha holy poo poo, an actual example in the wild! "No my opinion is completely valid because I say it is why are you being so defensive?"

I don't know what this actually stems from, whether as the boomers would say it's from everyone getting participation trophies in school, or just the impression the Internet gives everyone that because they have equal access to post their thoughts as anyone else those thoughts must be just as valid as everyone else's, but it is truly mindboggling how idiots can post with a straight face (indignantly, even!) that their blitherings should be treated exactly the same as the writings of someone who has spent significant time learning a particular field or profession.

If the human race doesn't start telling idiots to shut the gently caress up about things they have no business pretending to be experts in, we really will be screwed. I mean, it's already happened with climate change since we've ignored the scientists for 50 years so I guess it's already too late.

After all, you don't see me posting about how to make good posts.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

SyNack Sassimov posted:

If the human race doesn't start telling idiots to shut the gently caress up about things they have no business pretending to be experts in, we really will be screwed. I mean, it's already happened with climate change since we've ignored the scientists for 50 years so I guess it's already too late.

Well, we don't have 50 years of concerted efforts by the fossil fuel industry to specifically undermine the idea of string theory or the hb field or vacuum shifts or whatever the gently caress was going on, but they have done a bang-up job of undermining the idea of science and expertise in general. It has worked really well.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I will literally attack string theory all day long, and the failure of the field to produce anything testable despite decades of trying has done all the undermining necessary. The really prominent string theorists have even given up on this and just wave their arms and say "anthropic principle."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have 25 years of experience in my field and I can't even bring myself to defend an opinion about it because I'm sure I'll be shown for a fraud by a sophomore

But I bet I can tell Joe Notmyjob how he should be doing it, like Kim Jong-il or Trump visiting a cabbage farm and dispensing wisdom about cabbage farming and they'll all say "thank you sir, you have changed our lives today"

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Here is a picture of two famous physicists watching a top:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Phanatic posted:

I will literally attack string theory all day long, and the failure of the field to produce anything testable despite decades of trying has done all the undermining necessary. The really prominent string theorists have even given up on this and just wave their arms and say "anthropic principle."

String theorists are in their own weird corner of the field for this exact reason (see: me bringing up the rear end in a top hat Brian Greene earlier, with his lovely books on the topic).

It's not physics, it's just a collection of convenient mathematical tricks until it comes up with anything resembling a falsifiable hypothesis or prediction.