Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

My aunt was an exec for a long time and mentioned that her former company (big trucking/transpo Corp) is forcing every office worker back in ASAP cause they discovered like half of their middle management had been working 2 jobs for years.

Like the exact same job, as in pre-covid, they were district managers at two different companies and pulling in 2 six-figure salaries. For years.

this sounds like they should be forcing middle management in and not the actual workers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

AHH F/UGH posted:

I got a $50 gift card one time from my company

I got a $25 one for working at my government job for five years and they taxed me on it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

New Zealand Health insurance isn't even that expensive as all the serious stuff (cancer treatment, major surgery) is covered by the healthcare system. In most cases the big advantage is you don't wait for 6 months to a year for minor surgeries (hernia operations) and your GP visits are paid (savings between $30 to $60 a visit). Its still a good thing for a company to offer (especially if dental is included) as its nice to have that additional backstop.

GP visits, vision, dental. I've already saved over a hundred dollars this year in GP visits.

The last company I worked for fought their union tooth and nail and forced any union gains to be made into general gains after a year because they really wanted to break it, while also treating all of the people in the company like total disposable poo poo while also giving away enamel pins rather than raises or bonuses. I was the one getting folks to sign up and join up and get real mad about their situation. The company I work for now doesn't even have a union specifically because the folks at the top really don't want to have to deal with one and are willing to concede on basically anything before that sort of action gets any foothold- they listen, they have bunches of anonymous channels that folks can use to talk to them, and they have open door policies that they actually respect. They're also quite nice people and want folks to stay around, and most of the folks who leave do so because they have to.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

manpurse posted:

My boss held a "manpurse has worked here 10 years" event for our team and didn't invite me.
Then phoned me, asking where I was. I was on vacation that week.

That's just amazing. Straight from the office.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Lascivious Sloth posted:

are bonuses an American thing? sounds like a really tricky cheap way to screw over your workforce by having a "bonus" that you may or may not get but was probably taken from your original salary package.

At one company the boss used bonuses as the reason why we weren't given raises. He would keep our salaries the same but then supplement with bonuses. Now, when the bonuses were good this was all fine and dandy but when the bonuses were bad, as in making less money this year than I did the year before, then it sucked. When we went into a couple-year period where our bonuses were low or non-existent it really broke the morale of the team and the boss didn't seem to realize why.

Everywhere else I have ever worked that gave out bonuses they were tied to your performance or the companies performance and the amount was determined by your contract or some other pre-determined thing. Like right now I have the ability to get a 10% bonus if things all work out right.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I work in a glass bottle plant and the guys in the hot end that make the bottles get daily bonuses if they hit a certain percentage of bottles packed onto pallets for their shift.

They constantly poo poo on their QCs because the QC's job is essentially to lower their packed % by throwing out defective bottles. Even the hot end supervisors get on the QCs case about "are you really sure that bottle is bad enough to throw away" when it is very measurably out of spec and the QC would be reprimanded by management for letting it be packed.

I was a QC for 4 years and have had screaming matches with guys from the hot end getting on my case about throwing out too many bottles (that were clearly bad and would possibly have physically harmed the consumer)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Dang that bonus/raise talk has triggered memories of how one year we were told we were getting a 5% payrise and even better it was on top of our normal inflation payrise (another 2-3% usually)! Except management had gotten confused because the 5er was instead of the regular payrise, not on top of it. It was still a good raise but the company managed to turn an open goal "yay thanks employer!" into an own goal "can you believe this poo poo?".

They were also very proud that the taxable £25 bonus is now a gift card that isn't taxable. But at least they've stopped putting "free uniform" in their job ads as if people think that's an amazing reason to want to work somewhere.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Many companies, especially those in asia, use bonus structures as the standard method of payment.

Hell in Japan and China its extremely common for you to be paid each month as though a year has 14 or 15 months with one designated month of the year having you make 3 "months" worth of salary.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Outrail posted:

Ding ding ding. Back in Australia I was never offered a bonus, I just complained about not making enough money during annual reviews and they either gave me a raise or they didn't.

Eh, the answer is more complicated. Unfortunately it depends on the company. I'm in Australia and the company I'm with has a great bonus plan.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Marmaduke! posted:

But at least they've stopped putting "free uniform" in their job ads as if people think that's an amazing reason to want to work somewhere.

Lots of places make you buy uniforms so that actually is a perk. Did they stop putting it in because they stopped paying for it?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Paying for a uniform is bullshit.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Specially since most of the kind of companies that have uniforms are billion dollar companies.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They didn't become billion dollar companies by paying for uniforms.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Steakandchips posted:

Paying for a uniform is bullshit.

This. Paying for PPE beyond what you'd need to do standard poo poo is also bullshit.

Hiking boots? Sure, but make sure you pay enough to buy them. Steel cap boots? gently caress no company pays.

I'm doing the books today and found $50,000 just lying around for no reason. Turns out someone 'just' made a typo six months ago but I spent a half-hour alternating between freaking out that I'd missed something and celebrating having enough money to actually do something. Oh well.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

This reminds me of my uniform story from working at the Kings Island in college back when it was owned by Paramount.

The way they ran, you had to order you uniform shirts from the apparel department or whatever it was callee at the end of your first day and it took a week before you could get them. In the meantime you were supposed to wear a white polo.

The problem was that the shirts for regular grunts was blue. Supervisors wore white. So my first week at that dumb amusement park was a lot of explaining to people not on my team that no, I'm not a supervisor, just new.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

When I got hired at my new second part-time job, they just changed the official uniform right as I started working. I felt like such a dork coming in to work when everyone else could wear their company issue t-shirts or the old uniform because they didn't have to change over yet. Now we all look like members of the dork army and I feel a tiny bit better.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

ultrafilter posted:

Lots of places make you buy uniforms so that actually is a perk. Did they stop putting it in because they stopped paying for it?

It's not really a uniform, but you can get a polo shirt with the company logo on it. If anyone did truly see the ad and think "Oh boy a free uniform!" even they would have been disappointed. Does let you claim something silly like £60 of tax relief at least

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Machai posted:

I work in a glass bottle plant and the guys in the hot end that make the bottles get daily bonuses if they hit a certain percentage of bottles packed onto pallets for their shift.

They constantly poo poo on their QCs because the QC's job is essentially to lower their packed % by throwing out defective bottles. Even the hot end supervisors get on the QCs case about "are you really sure that bottle is bad enough to throw away" when it is very measurably out of spec and the QC would be reprimanded by management for letting it be packed.

I was a QC for 4 years and have had screaming matches with guys from the hot end getting on my case about throwing out too many bottles (that were clearly bad and would possibly have physically harmed the consumer)

i worked at a factory where the CNC operator pumped out the goods and you just sat there looking at them and boxing them all day

one of us packer inspectors brought a bad piece up to the CNC guy once and he just spiked it out of her hand onto the floor. twas gone at lunch break, fired

Mantle
May 15, 2004

20 Blunts posted:

i worked at a factory where the CNC operator pumped out the goods and you just sat there looking at them and boxing them all day

one of us packer inspectors brought a bad piece up to the CNC guy once and he just spiked it out of her hand onto the floor. twas gone at lunch break, fired

Since this is the dumb poo poo thread, you need to actually specify which worker was fired

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009

Mantle posted:

Since this is the dumb poo poo thread, you need to actually specify which worker was fired

20 blunts was fired, the CNC operator got a raise, and the QC person was promoted to management.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Mantle posted:

:btroll: "Irregardless of the CNC operator's behavior, you used an unprofessional tone of voice when reporting the incident to HR" :btroll:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

*guy assaults coworker, pummels face into a roughly octogonal shape*
"I know that you're trying to cope with severe face trauma, but because you assaulted his fists with your face, you're fired."

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

The problem was that the shirts for regular grunts was blue. Supervisors wore white. So my first week at that dumb amusement park was a lot of explaining to people not on my team that no, I'm not a supervisor, just new.

I work at another ex-Paramount park. Due to COVID we had to schedule an appointment with HR to pick up our uniforms. They only allowed for 2 appointments in 15 minute periods on Sundays. That didn't work great.

We still wear white, but with "SUPERVISOR" on the back so everyone knows who to complain at.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/metaltxt/status/1430574786241912832

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Due to budget cuts, we will be replacing the beehives with hornets nests in 2022

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Someone heard the company needs to generate more buzz.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Due to budget cuts, we will be replacing the beehives with hornets nests in 2022

Personal gardens are now restricted to the following company-approved plants...

Any fruit and/or vegetables grown in your garden on company property are to be considered the property of the company, and may be taken or consumed by management at any time.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

We didn’t think you did enough for the company before now go harvest us some loving honey so we can sell that too

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

We are pleased to announce that we have introduced a herd of wildebeest to the break room.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I worked in places where a loving 5 metre python was curled in the walk-in incubator, or hanging from the front office door so you take the back door until local snake man comes to relocate the snake. Or getting a scare by the curlew defending it's babies or dumb loving evil plovers attacking you because they decided to make a nest right in front of a thoroughfare (god I hate plovers). The beach was full of life, I'd walk with my gf and pick up sand dollars, dodge jellyfish or see little crabs scurry away. Magpies that would sing one month or attack you the next. I miss having to look out for crocs, or reading in the paper that one was found in the burbs.

Now I live in a huge city where people get scared of tiny spiders, or freak out when a possum is on their roof. They dress trees in plastic to stop the rat fuckers climbing trees.

God I miss nature. Cities are concrete nightmares and no matter what lovely park they construct, it will always be an imitation of the real thing. There aren't even any birds! Where the gently caress are the birds! I don't even see pigeons or crows around.

FYI I live in 'the most livable city' - Melbourne, Australia.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 28, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suspicious Lump posted:

I worked in places where a loving 5 metre python was curled in the walk-in incubator, or hanging from the front office door so you take the back door until local snake man comes to relocate the snake. Or getting a scare by the curlew defending it's babies or dumb loving evil plovers attacking you because they decided to make a nest right in front of a thoroughfare (god I hate plovers). The beach was full of life, I'd walk with my gf and pick up sand dollars, dodge jellyfish or see little crabs scurry away. Magpies that would sing one month or attack you the next. I miss having to look out for crocs, or reading in the paper that one was found in the burbs.

Now I live in a huge city where people get scared of tiny spiders, or freak out when a possum is on their roof. They dress trees in plastic to stop the rat fuckers climbing trees.

God I miss nature. Cities are concrete nightmares and no matter what lovely park they construct, it will always be an imitation of the real thing. There aren't even any birds! Where the gently caress are the birds! I don't even see pigeons or crows around.

FYI I live in 'the most livable city' - Melbourne, Australia.

I've seen birds around Melbourne literally all the time. Sparrows have free-run of the restaurants around Elizabeth and Flinders St. Nevermind the pigeons. The pigeons fear absolutely nothing in pursuit of tablescraps.

Not to mention the seagulls that monopolize Federation Square for chips.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've seen birds around Melbourne literally all the time. Sparrows have free-run of the restaurants around Elizabeth and Flinders St. Nevermind the pigeons. The pigeons fear absolutely nothing in pursuit of tablescraps.

Not to mention the seagulls that monopolize Federation Square for chips.

What about the kookaburras and the bin chickens?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I want an office python that isn't a euphemism for a serial sexual harasser

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Batterypowered7 posted:

What about the kookaburras and the bin chickens?

We don't get bin chickens or Kookaburras in the city, at least as far as I've ever seen, but we do see a surprising amount of Cockatoos around St Kilda that like to go visiting all the apartment balconies to scrounge for treats.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
My boss threw a stapler at the face of a subordinate. The manager had to take some anger management class by HR discuised as "improving communication" to save face. The subordinate wasn't fired but their career was dead-ended and they left for the private sector. Academia lol.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
The trick in academia is to bully them back.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Pekinduck posted:

My boss threw a stapler at the face of a subordinate. The manager had to take some anger management class by HR discuised as "improving communication" to save face. The subordinate wasn't fired but their career was dead-ended and they left for the private sector. Academia lol.

How did this rear end in a top hat not get fired?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Steakandchips posted:

How did this rear end in a top hat not get fired?

quote:

academia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If the research funding/output is high enough, you can do anything.