Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Source4Leko posted:

The no shoes made me physically recoil.

Literally worse than if he were actually on LSD at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LanceHunter posted:

Literally worse than if he were actually on LSD at work.

tell him to get off me

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

If women don't find you handsome they'll find you handy.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

drat, I used to just bring a towel, but thats way better.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

truly the king of the road

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's the guy who made the seat belt gate latch.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Now that's using your noodle.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MasterBuilder posted:

If women don't find you handsome they'll find you handy.

Goddamn I wish Red Green ran in the US when I was a kid.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Powershift posted:

wow so it's totally possible to be a fortnite streamer and truck at the same time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Powershift posted:

I want to believe this truck has a fog machine.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Zero One posted:

I want to believe this truck has a fog machine.

If that's Powershift's truck it's probably -40 degrees and that's the steam nucleating off of his eyeballs.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I love looking at decked-out truck cabs. Something about them, they’re like spaceship pods. And I get it, if my job was to drive all day I’d want to make my cube as cool and useful as possible.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Goddamn I wish Red Green ran in the US when I was a kid.

Didn't it? I vividly remember the night in 1994 when SCETV introduced me to it and Mr. Bean in a one-two punch of absolute comedic destruction that a 9 year old could only by the barest margin survive

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not in the parts where I lived. It may have bled in along the border, but I never heard of it until 2003 or so, and watch episodes on youtube occasionally.

We got Chicago broadcast where I grew up. I think Mr. Bean ran on the PBS station, WTTW.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Iowa Public Television aired it in the 90s. I don't think any of the networks ever picked it up but individual stations may have.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, it really depended on how cool your local public television affiliate was

ours ran a whole block of british comedy - mr. bean, are you being served, keeping up appearances, and then late at night when poo poo got real spicy, red dwarf and monty python

eventually they threw red green into the mix. "its canadian, close enough"

also pretty osha

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 26, 2021

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I love looking at decked-out truck cabs. Something about them, they’re like spaceship pods. And I get it, if my job was to drive all day I’d want to make my cube as cool and useful as possible.

My dad introduced me to the Smoldern comic, Gypsy, about a Roma truck driver roaming around a post-nuclear winter Earth on roads that span the world, when I was about nine. Ok, cool. Rouge Trader with trucks.

Yeeeeears later, I got into DSD delivery and talked with a bunch of truckers. Yeah, pretty lovely job once you get into it and kind of hard to leave because of the money. They all seemed to enjoy the actual driving part, and at least appreciated their trucks for what they could do. Still wanna learn how to drive one.

Closest I get is pulling trailers behind my pickup and it just feels so cool to be able to put the combination where you want it. Even when you need a person to guide you through a tight squeeze, it hits some nerve in me that feels good. A bunch of small frustrations with a little hit of endorphins everytime you manage it.

gently caress the entirety of the business past that, from what I've heard of it.

Maybe I could drive some clapped-out farm truck part of the year? That sounds fun. Ancient and unsafe equipment, a schedule that lasts all day and into next week, endlessly lovely, dusty, dirty work. gently caress, I'm just dumb enough to volunteer and maybe smart enough to survive with all my digits.

Where was I going with that? gently caress knows.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

yeah, it really depended on how cool your local public television affiliate was

ours ran a whole block of british comedy - mr. bean, are you being served, keeping up appearances, and then late at night when poo poo got real spicy, red dwarf and monty python

eventually they threw red green into the mix. "its canadian, close enough"

also pretty osha

can I beg you for the name of whatever show that is

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Azathoth posted:

Iowa Public Television aired it in the 90s. I don't think any of the networks ever picked it up but individual stations may have.

Double post, because someone remembers IPT in it's heyday. Red Green, Red Dwarf, Doctor Who, Jack Horkhimer. Weekend nights watching TV with Dad.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Iowa Public Television was great. On Friday nights they'd have a sci-fi lineup that would start off with Jack Horkheimer, the Star Hustler*, despite the show not being sci-fi. It was an astronomer who looked like the platonic ideal of an 80s nerdy uncle who gave a 10 minute astronomy lesson, then move on to Red Dwarf, then old Dr. Who reruns. It ruled.

*"Some people hustle pool, some people hustle cars, but have you ever heard about the man who hustles stars? Jack Horkheimer, the Star Hustler."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lookit this fool treating a shop vac like it's a car battery

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Potato Salad posted:

this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Green_Show

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Azathoth posted:

Iowa Public Television was great. On Friday nights they'd have a sci-fi lineup that would start off with Jack Horkheimer, the Star Hustler*, despite the show not being sci-fi. It was an astronomer who looked like the platonic ideal of an 80s nerdy uncle who gave a 10 minute astronomy lesson, then move on to Red Dwarf, then old Dr. Who reruns. It ruled.

*"Some people hustle pool, some people hustle cars, but have you ever heard about the man who hustles stars? Jack Horkheimer, the Star Hustler."

Decades later, I moved to Pinellas County, Florida and learned there were people who actually met him. He was a real person, and by all accounts a nice dude.
I shook hands with people who shook hands with Jack Horkheimer! I know people who knew him! Blew my goober-rear end mind.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

KLRU down here in Texas ran it too, as well as a bunch of British comedies such as Red Dwarf.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Azathoth posted:

I can hear the theme song when I see this image. And yeah, that was a power block of awesome—Iowa Public Television ruled back then.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Potato Salad posted:

The Red Green Show. It's all on YouTube.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

red green, a canadian comedy skit show about basically redneck macguyver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7LuHW4BIlU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Maryland Public Television had a similar lineup, britcoms from 8-11, then red green at 11, red dwarf at 11:30, and doctor who starting at midnight.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
My dad, who is in his 70s, uses 'glory hole' to be synonymous with 'man cave'/'shed'/'garage' which has led to some pretty fuckin' awkward conversations, let me tell you.

Gasmask fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 26, 2021

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The only public television I really remember is watching Wishbone and Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego on WCET as a kid and my dad's insistence on watching Kentucky Afield every Saturday evening on KET, despite barely ever hunting or fishing, and never in Kentucky.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Gasmask posted:

My dad, who is in his 70s, uses 'glory hole' to be synonymous with 'man cave'/'shed'/'garage' which has led to some pretty fuckin' awkward conversations, let me tell you.

He knows what he's saying

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Azathoth posted:

Keep looking up!!!!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

gently caress SNEEP posted:

He knows what he's saying

Hell, the old coot even told ya if he'd built the drat glory hole one day sooner you wouldn't even be here!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

Didn't it? I vividly remember the night in 1994 when SCETV introduced me to it and Mr. Bean in a one-two punch of absolute comedic destruction that a 9 year old could only by the barest margin survive

We had it on Oregon Public Broadcasting in the early 90s. We also had Monty Python Flying Circus so maybe the OPB programming director was just cool as hell.

E: Hell yeah cool 90s public broadcasting crew.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 26, 2021

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Luneshot posted:

In some port cities around the Great Lakes there are a few lake freighter museum ships; they're worth seeing if you have even a mild interest in big ships.

If you ever have the misfortune to find yourself in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, stop at the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, which is largely but not entirely focused on the Edmund Fitzgerald. https://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Bacon Taco posted:

If you ever have the misfortune to find yourself in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, stop at the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, which is largely but not entirely focused on the Edmund Fitzgerald. https://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/

drat, who poo poo in your pasty?

The shipwreck museum is pretty cool though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/fKzV46j.gifv

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

red green, a canadian comedy skit show about basically redneck macguyver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7LuHW4BIlU

Worth mentioning these are from a specific segment called Handyman Corner, the whole show isn’t necessarily like that. It’s about a fictional lodge/men’s club with a bunch of skits every episode related to it. It has aged surprisingly well considering the premise.
There was also a movie but it was kinda bad.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

RatHat posted:

Worth mentioning these are from a specific segment called Handyman Corner, the whole show isn’t necessarily like that. It’s about a fictional lodge/men’s club with a bunch of skits every episode related to it. It has aged surprisingly well considering the premise.
There was also a movie but it was kinda bad.

I love red green. I think the only thing that hasn't aged well are some of the boomer "my wife amirite" jokes.