Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Edge & Christian posted:

They're all cases of books or runs ending, so I don't see why we can't wildly assume they're all being given the boot. Like when BKV/Chiang got booted off of Paper Girls, the ending there seemed super rushed.

Wait, Paper Girls ended because they were booted? Not because it was the intended ending? I wasn't a fan of the ending of that, mainly because I hate resets, memory wipes, and "no matter what you do, the timeline you saw is what's gonna happen" tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jfc

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Edge & Christian posted:

To be less snarky, there's no reason I can see to speculate that Nick Spencer was pushed off of the book other than "it kind of happened to Tom King". I feel like if you want to speculate he 'got the boot' there should probably be more reasoning besides "it's happened at least once before to someone else".

Without that it amounts to just making poo poo up, as I did with the other examples.

Jesus Christ, you are no fun. I apologize of course for treating the industry and hobby I am deeply invested in with anything other than cold detachment.

Using the phrase "got the boot" in place of the more accurate "feels like in my personal opinion that the current writing of the ongoing Amazing Spider-Man title is having to cram a lot of weird complicating details into a small number of issues at the conclusion of a long run that people seems to have strongly soured on before the new creative teams comes in with a huge anniversary issue" was of course a mistake on my part. Why, the very idea that Marvel would ever do anything other than what a writer intends is clearly proven by such recent events as Leah Williams being allowed to write the X-Factor books as she wished to is pretty good supporting evidence for your claim.

Wait.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Everybody cool your jets please, I think there's some residual tension in this conversation since the Hickman departure and ESPECIALLY the frenzy of misleading hyperbolic headlines and fan anxiety that came in the wake of it which is making this whole thread a little more on-edge than it needs to be.

E&C you came in a little bit hot although I get why. Lord Hambrose yeah, I think "booted" was maybe a little bit of a reach as a word choice and it connoted an air of hear-say and supposition where I don't think that was intentional.

I personally think it's annoying when comics fans rely entirely on rumor and gut instinct and playing telephone so that a hunch gets ferried down the line and turned into truth-- I saw a LOT of people on twitter ferry "I wonder if Al Ewing is also going to Substack" to "I wonder if Al Ewing is leaving Marvel" to "AL EWING IS LEAVING MARVEL AND THE X-BOOKS ARE ALL DYING" and it was super obnoxious and made it very hard to have a real conversation.

I don't think that's what was going on here to be clear but I think it's understandable that people are on edge and a little extra jumpy about keeping language precise.

I think this is compounded by there being some confusion with people interpreting sarcastic posts in varying ways and I think it would just be good for everybody to take a step back and reset.

Anyway yeah the Spencer run has been very bad and I can't believe he's still pulling this "oh ho? no.. ah HA!" poo poo so close to the end. A total waste. I think he could have done a good low-key funny run hewing to the Boomerang and Beetle side of his inclinations but the overwhelming dullness and prevalence of Kindred and the impetus to show Peter miserable as often as possible just sucks so much poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well it's Nick Spencer, anyone who expected decent storytelling clearly hasnt kept up on the man's work.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

site posted:

:allears:

also i am sad that with the tv show tie in one member of this team isn't gonna last

Oooooh pretty!
This is Black Widow or a new team book?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Well it's Nick Spencer, anyone who expected decent storytelling clearly hasnt kept up on the man's work.

I remember liking his first issue of Ultimate X-Men, and then the next 11 issues were bullshit.

That book I'm almost positive he was booted from.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

I remember liking his first issue of Ultimate X-Men, and then the next 11 issues were bullshit.

That book I'm almost positive he was booted from.

His Ultimate X-Men is one of the worst runs I've ever read. Every issue had a major cliffhanger it seemed that never was returned to. I know that seems to be a thing he does but it's not nearly as prevalent on his ASM run to me. I've liked his run on ASM a lot. I agree the Kindred thing is dragging on too long but there are other aspects I like about the book that are making up for it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lol i forgot about that ultimate x-men run. I grabbed it since I snagged almost all of the ultimates relaunch because of Hickman and it really did end with a cliffhanger every issue.

Kitty the most wanted terrorist! Xavier is back! Magneto is back! poo poo’s all hosed! Nimrod is back??

Then the 2nd American civil war stuff happened and mutants ended in a reservation? Man ultimate mutants did not have a good time at all. Then everything died.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vincent posted:

Oooooh pretty!
This is Black Widow or a new team book?

Black Widow's ongoing. It's really good and you should read it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dawgstar posted:

:yup:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

How Wonderful! posted:

Anyway yeah the Spencer run has been very bad and I can't believe he's still pulling this "oh ho? no.. ah HA!" poo poo so close to the end. A total waste. I think he could have done a good low-key funny run hewing to the Boomerang and Beetle side of his inclinations but the overwhelming dullness and prevalence of Kindred and the impetus to show Peter miserable as often as possible just sucks so much poo poo.

:hmmyes:

This is one of the things I find so unfortunate about the Spencer run. There are enough things there I really do enjoy, I can see the potential of what it could have been.

Dawgstar posted:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
See, I actually don't mind Peter being miserable? It should be his default state of existence. I just don't know why everything is so complicated in this run.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Spider-Man fights a bunch of different Sinister Six teams is a great idea.

Spider-Man fights a bunch of Sinister Six teams while we spend most the time listening to Kindred who keeps spouting vague poo poo is terrible.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I thought it was pretty funny that Vulture goes through all the effort of putting together a Sinister Six and the first thing they do is...attack the premiere of an unflattering movie? And apparently this is all Vulture's Savage Six have ever done, just trying to stop Mysterio's movie by any means necessary.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lol i forgot about that ultimate x-men run. I grabbed it since I snagged almost all of the ultimates relaunch because of Hickman and it really did end with a cliffhanger every issue.

Kitty the most wanted terrorist! Xavier is back! Magneto is back! poo poo’s all hosed! Nimrod is back??

Then the 2nd American civil war stuff happened and mutants ended in a reservation? Man ultimate mutants did not have a good time at all. Then everything died.
Yeah, I was super loving hyped to read about Kitty Pryde becoming the most wanted terrorist in America, and then it's never brought up again until the next writer tries to salvage something out of it. I was genuinely shocked he kept getting A-list books after that.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Codependent Poster posted:

Spider-Man fights a bunch of different Sinister Six teams is a great idea.

Spider-Man fights a bunch of Sinister Six teams while we spend most the time listening to Kindred who keeps spouting vague poo poo is terrible.
In "normal" crossovers, you at least have excuses of "ok this tie in is another writer, that's why it's XYZ". Spencer is writing both of these, there's NO loving reason (besides an editorial mandate to get $$$) that you need a separate event series. Double ship ASM, make it to where you're weaving back and forth between the plots at a better clips, and just tighten up things a bit. Same price, same schedule, better story flow, there you now have something that's way better than what we're getting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Isn't that what they're doing after Spencer leaves, weekly book, multiple writers, Zeb Wells in charge of the overall plot?

Fake edit: Lol my phone wanted to autocorrect "Zeb" to "Zebulon," is Zebulon a word? This addendum is definitely the first time I've ever written it on purpose.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Zebulon is one of the less popular Bible Names. Zebulon Pike is the person who lent his name to Pike's Peak. Zeb Wells's middle name appears to be just "Zeb" but it's presumably derived by Zebulon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Isn't that what they're doing after Spencer leaves, weekly book, multiple writers, Zeb Wells in charge of the overall plot?

Fake edit: Lol my phone wanted to autocorrect "Zeb" to "Zebulon," is Zebulon a word? This addendum is definitely the first time I've ever written it on purpose.

Zebulun was one of Jacob's sons in the Bible. Close enough..

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Zebulon is one of the less popular Bible Names. Zebulon Pike is the person who lent his name to Pike's Peak. Zeb Wells's middle name appears to be just "Zeb" but it's presumably derived by Zebulon.

Probably had a great uncle or grandfather named Zebulon that went by Zeb.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

X-O posted:

Zebulun was one of Jacob's sons in the Bible. Close enough..

There's a few people named Zebulon, and a town in North Carolina.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I always thought that Zeb was short for Zebediah, but then my name is Jedidiah, so I guess I would.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
God drat, I just started the latest run of daredevil and what a crazy opening arc. Can anyone give me a quick blurb (or point me to a good article) on what happened before this? Things like Mayor Fisk and Matt almost dying are things I'd love to hear more about assuming they don't get covered in future issues.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

God drat, I just started the latest run of daredevil and what a crazy opening arc. Can anyone give me a quick blurb (or point me to a good article) on what happened before this? Things like Mayor Fisk and Matt almost dying are things I'd love to hear more about assuming they don't get covered in future issues.

It's all stuff from the previous run written by Charles Soule. It wasn't a super long run and was decent, so if you're reading on Unlimited you might as well read that too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's also a great miniseries called Man Without Fear that bridges Soule's run and Zdarsky's run by some shortlived writer that never wrote anything again. Too bad, he showed real promise with that one. I think it provides enough context that if you don't want to you don't have to read the Soule run, but you probably should read the Soule run. Daredevil's the rare character that somehow stumbles into almost never having a bad run. And even when you do (Shadowland) it doesn't last too long.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah I remember reading the earlier parts of the last run and enjoyed what I'd seen (stuff like Matt working for the da's office). I'll give it a go!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Zebulon was the floating head guy in Power Rangers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

Zebulon was the floating head guy in Power Rangers.

You mean zordon?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Zeb 'Zordon' Zebulon.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

It's all stuff from the previous run written by Charles Soule. It wasn't a super long run and was decent, so if you're reading on Unlimited you might as well read that too.

Yeah I'd definitely recommend Soule's run because it sets up a few things in the current one like the return of Mike Murdock or how Matt can go to prison without disclosing his identity

e: added spoiler tags for Kingtheninja's sake if they want to go through everything blind.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 27, 2021

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Does Fantastic Four Life Story get any better about Ben after the first issue? I read #1 on Marvel Unlimited and was really put off by how flat out wrong he was portrayed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never read it because I don't like the writer and what I've heard about it makes me think I made the right decision. I'm sure plenty of people enjoyed it but it just seems to be more "Reed Richards drives everyone who loves him away" stuff only stretched out over decades.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

I never read it because I don't like the writer and what I've heard about it makes me think I made the right decision. I'm sure plenty of people enjoyed it but it just seems to be more "Reed Richards drives everyone who loves him away" stuff only stretched out over decades.

If people want that story but only four issues check out FF/X-Men that Claremont and Bogdanove did.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I'd definitely recommend Soule's run because it sets up a few things in the current one like the return of Mike Murdock or how Matt can go to prison without disclosing his identity

e: added spoiler tags for Kingtheninja's sake if they want to go through everything blind.

Went back and read the whole thing, now I'm around issue 14 of the current series. Absolutely great stuff, really loving it.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Online articles are confirming Hickman's departure from X-Men books after Inferno, but still having some kind of guiding hand/editorial control over the evolution of the line. Has BSS already started wildly speculating about what the next big Hickman book will focus on? Spider-Man? Guardians? Daredevil?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dr. Strange appears to be heading for a big shake-up in upcoming months, and I think Hickman could have some fun with Marvel's mystical side. That's my personal hunch. I think he probably still has some stories to tell about cosmic/space intrigues but Al Ewing has all that stuff on comfortable lock right now and I'm just as happy letting Ewing do his space thing for as long as he wants to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/ComicsXF/status/1432744501055995905?s=19
https://twitter.com/ComicsXF/status/1432745189806858247?s=19
https://twitter.com/jedmackay/status/1432745456451432453?s=19