Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I didn't understand how it worked until I thought about it for a while. Basically it's just an open-Delta 3 phase supply. You don't get a lot of power out of it, but it works. 2 wires from your regular splitphase power supply get run straight through and a specialty wound motor-generator with two 240V windings wound 120 degrees out of phase is driven by one of the windings and produces your second phase with the other winding. The third winding doesn't exist, thus it's an open-Delta supply. You just have to remember to hit the button to start the phase converter before turning on any 3 phase loads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
So imgur finally got its poo poo together and uploaded the pics from a week or two ago:

Check out these awesome strap-on caster toe jacks:

He built them himself. No idea what the casters are rated for but it handled 3800lb no issue.

Goodbye, mill. Hopefully he does more with it then I did.

Also a week ago I called the driveshaft shop and was told "oh it's on my build table it'll ship tonight or tomorrow morning" and told him he needed to actually explain what was up because it was 2 days till the 2 month anniversary of my order and he'd already told me that exact statement twice before. He claimed he would stay there late and finish it for sure. I was certain I was gonna be calling my bank on Monday and getting the charge reversed and then telling him to go screw but shockingly he sent me a tracking number that actually had shipment progress showing, and it got here Wednesday. I am pretty happy with the quality of the driveshaft and the price but unfortunately I'm definitely not ordering from there ever again, over 2 months with 3 or 4 houndings required to even get a hint at shipping is ridiculous. I guess I'll pay 30 bucks more to get it from the other shop that no one has shipping issues with next time.

Anyways, we were using the Comanche to haul moving boxes up the hill from the house to our moving pod Tuesday and it exploded while it was parked. Seriously, the temp gauge was kind of high so I shut it off while unloading and as I'm walking back out of the pod I hear *POP* FWOOOOOOOOOSSHHHHHH and see this.

Radiator end tank cracked 3 inches and dumped all the coolant.

So I hit the parts store and my spares stash and replaced the entire cooling system except for the heater core, fan clutch (done in 2017 or 2018), and water pump (done in 2017.)
Upper and lower hoses
Converted to open cooling system instead of the old RENIX closed system
Heater hoses
Thermostat and housing
Radiator
Overflow tank and hose
Finally installed the electric fan I've had sitting here for years
Finally bought and installed a fan shroud

What do you know. It doesn't go over like 200 now! It used to peg the gauge if you left it idling too long on a hot day.

Installed the new rear driveshaft so now I can go over 35 without getting a back massage.

Rebuilt the old driveshaft (which came with the Honcho and luckily fit the MJ, but is made out of a trailer axle tube, totally unbalanced, and was maybe a few months from the double cardan centering ball seizing completely) as a spare.

These centering ball double cardan joints are annoying to rebuild but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I have a rebuilt driveshaft as a spare for each end of the Jeep now so I'm less worried about the drive to Washington ending poorly.

Today I swapped the 97+ XJ mirrors from the white MJ over to the blue one because the blue one's driver mirror started flopping around uselessly. While I had the door cards off I also took the opportunity to swap a set of decent speakers in that I got on a trade half a decade ago, it didn't fix the driver side (busted wire or blown amp in the radio probably) but the passenger side doesn't crackle so bad now at least.

One of these days I need to steal the window regulators out of the white MJ, since the driver one from the blue MJ has been busted a few years and needs a helping hand.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

So imgur finally got its poo poo together and uploaded the pics from a week or two ago:

Check out these awesome strap-on caster toe jacks:

He built them himself. No idea what the casters are rated for but it handled 3800lb no issue.

The DIY version of https://rolalift.com/, that's pretty slick. We use those for rolling around compute chassis at work and they make it pretty easy to push around several thousand pounds.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Comanches are the coolest.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Maiden voyage of the Comanche trailer!

Still needs assorted small things finished but I took it for a spin today as soon as I got the ladder rack on there well enough to be roadworthy. It's even like, registered.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is the muffler still on it :v:

If so +5

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The HALFMANCHE

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Commullet

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Is the muffler still on it :v:

If so +5

No I ripped that rusty piece of poo poo tailpipe off

I've been jokingly calling it the jeepep Comancheche

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I feel like I'd be smacking my forehead on the cab extension of that ladder rack literally every time I got near the front of the trailer, because it's just above eye level. I know this from experience of hanging things to paint in the garage.
There's no denying the utility, though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

I feel like I'd be smacking my forehead on the cab extension of that ladder rack literally every time I got near the front of the trailer, because it's just above eye level. I know this from experience of hanging things to paint in the garage.

It's like MXC or Wipeout. Everytime you take the shortcut between the truck and trailer you get to duck and jump. Don't! Get! Concussed!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I thought the same, and I'm sure it's coming, but I've avoided it... so far.

Just finally put my extra stock MJ rear bumper on the trailer. One less thing to have to pack for the move and now I can scrap the fugly diamond plate "bumper" it had on it, which was extremely flappy and basically only there to avoid the previous owner getting pulled over for not having one at all.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

kastein posted:

I thought the same, and I'm sure it's coming, but I've avoided it... so far.

God drat it

Y'all jynxed me. It's your fault

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ohh right in the brain bucket. Looks like he wanted some hands on experience on why it's called a headache rack.

"right you are Ken! Next up on the MJ headsplitter for the gas workers is Baba Ganoush, he's playing to bring awareness to people with heads too big for hard hats"

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Which neon color of pool noodle will you be taping onto it?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm thinking I'll just put like, kids bicycle handlebar streamers on as decoration, they'll hang low enough that I see them.

FedEx just fuckin lost my box of steering gearbox rebuild kits, which is great, I wasn't planning on using that this weekend or anything. I might have to stop buying from rockauto, they only use FedEx and FedEx can't deliver to my house more than 50% of the time.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I just double-checked and RockAuto has no problem shipping to me via USPS.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

They give me the option for light stuff but I'm guessing I'd have to move to Alaska to get the all USPS option.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

kastein posted:

God drat it

Target fixation is a hell of a drug

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

And then there was one less.

gently caress this thing, I hope the next owner sends me pictures of him cutting it up. I've known him for years so he probably will. He needed parts, I had a parts car with like, 800lb of other parts included, non negotiable. So today I jump started it, shoved all the extra parts in the back, shotgunned a full steinie of Walmarts finest R134a into it (it was 93 and humid, and heavy traffic jams... gently caress that without AC) and hit the road. The rear right strut towers not long for this world and the exhaust was broken off at the cat and the battery is totally junk, so I couldn't even shut the engine off until I got to the destination. Which was 240 miles from home.

It made it, he gave me a ride back home and we tossed the set of winter tires on wheels, my 200A TIG welder, and one of my surplus oscilloscopes in, then he hit the road back to Maine. Reports indicate that his outback currently handles "like a hog on ice".

I am no longer a Subaru EJ family owner. Made a clean break, 95%+ of my spares went with it and any remainders will go in a pile for next time he's down here.

This is only the third car in my entire life that I've sold running and driving :v:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

240 miles on a parts car with a dead suspension and no battery :drat:

Also his 500 mile round trip to drop you off sounds like long day.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, pretty much. Every single pothole was a butt puckering "am I about to have to steer hard left to keep this thing in my lane and not end up with a transmission in my lap?" moment. Each of us ended up doing 500ish miles on wheels yesterday, though half of mine were as a passenger. My (former) tires actually did 750 miles because he didn't even wait for the corpse to get cold - or even get shut off for that matter - before pulling the tires and wheels and swapping them on his car. He had some kind of tiny rear end tires on it (inherited it that way) that severely limited his speed and made the speedo very inaccurate and was in a big hurry to get the right size ones on.

When he starts cutting it up I'll have to get some pics of the rear right strut tower from him. The rust situation was dire back there, the stiffening plate Subaru welds on was 90% rusted through, only one tiny bit at the back edge not cracked in half, and the front had cracked and separated by about half an inch already and was being held together partially by the seat latch. It was bending to the point that the interior trim started popping off and wouldn't fit back in place and the rear right wheel had noticeable camber. I tried to load as much of the heavy stuff as I could on the driver side and up front to compensate.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

It’s really annoying that modern vehicles don’t have the decency to rust out all over, and instead do it starting with the important parts.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Why do so many in AI end up with a Forester we despise and off load cheaply?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

the spyder posted:

Why do so many in AI end up with a Forester we despise and off load cheaply?

Did I happen to tell you what I dragged back from Michigan recently?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Did I happen to tell you what I dragged back from Michigan recently?

Why would you ever buy a Forester in Michigan and bring it somewhere else? That's like buying one in upstate New York and bringing it somewhere else, it's a horrible mistake.

Wait... gently caress. I did that.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

kastein posted:

Why would you ever buy a Forester in Michigan and bring it somewhere else? That's like buying one in upstate New York and bringing it somewhere else, it's a horrible mistake.

It was my dad’s 2009 xt, and not really any rust. Free, just needs rod bearings. Typical Subaru poo poo.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

We had a lot of fun building a motor though, the motor full of moths and us full of woodchuck

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

God drat it

I'm sorry.
I got it! Hang tassels form it so they catch your eye! Like the lowrider interior trim dingleberries.
Ooo! Ooo! only make it chain!
edit: so it's *butch*.

kastein posted:

I'm thinking I'll just put like, kids bicycle handlebar streamers on as decoration, they'll hang low enough that I see them.

0.o
Holy poo poo. I guess it's not as silly as it sounds.

kastein posted:

This is only the third car in my entire life that I've sold running and driving :v:

Sound like just barely on the "driving" part. :P

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

We had a lot of fun building a motor though, the motor full of moths and us full of woodchuck

Holy poo poo he lives

That was funny as hell, especially finding them in the oil after I drained it to check condition a few hundred miles later.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

Holy poo poo he lives

Finally recovered from the nail.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Allen heads on exterior surfaces of cars can loving eat my dick

5 of 10 extracted, 3 have busted Allen bits stuck in them, 2 are rounded because they're stainless steel I installed in 2013 when the cover was off LAST time and two bolts gave me bullshit even then

BUT I OWN A WELDER SO YOU FUCKS CAN GO STRAIGHT TO HELL

I'm never buying a countersunk Allen head bolt diff cover again. What a mistake that was. The Honcho came with them too, manufacturer has cancelled that option on the diff covers since then. I will be replacing all these bolts with galvanized torx bolts but expect bullshit next time too. Oh well. Not enough bullshit to be worth buying a replacement $130-150 cover, just means I need to use the welder to take the bolts out half the time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

Allen heads on exterior surfaces of cars can loving eat my dick

Thanks, you brought back bad memories of changing windshield hinges on my CJ8.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The loving Buick ate the flexplate, so I bought a new flexplate and transmission mount. They go in this weekend. I am going to hate this project.

Today I went to Slow is Fast's shop to buy my rwd 4l80e (from the same donor as the engine in the Honcho) back from him, on the theory that if I have all the parts for a parking lot 4l80e swap in the back of the truck for the cross country drive, the Buick won't eat the 4l60e I'm putting back in untouched with the new flexplate. Please give this loving 4l60e your best prayers because I really don't want to change it out. I'm basically trying to force the hand of Murphy's Law by carrying all the parts for all the worst repairs so that it will naturally break something else.

I'm guessing the wagon is going to get LQ9 and 4l80e swapped at some point because, well, it needs it.

The MJ and trailer did great on the highway aside from lacking AC due to poverty optioning and the TCU being really mad about what seems to be a failing TPS that I've not been interested in swapping yet. It'll maintain 60-65 no problem, deathwobble is never far off but seems to be sparing me ever since I band aided it by putting a new steering stabilizer on and hanging the trailer on the back. I plan to swap the steering box for one of my spares (and rebuild the old one that came off) this weekend if the Buick doesn't eat 100% of the weekend.

Behold, a shitbox MJ, now in Maine. This one has only been to CT, RI, and NH under my ownership so it was nice to check off another state on the list and even make it home under my own power.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Good to catch up.

Also please review my newest purchase after looking at it in person:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

Good to catch up.

Good colour.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

Good to catch up.

Rusty

Needs "lift by home Depot" bumper sticker and to be driven into and over things

I will not rest until I honor kill whatever loving Nissan engineer put 6 random connectors on the passenger valve cover and shoved the driver side spark plug boots through random places on the intake manifold and used a distributor AND A CONDENSER in TYOOL TWO THOUSAND AND loving THREE

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

At first I was thinking AC condenser, then lol. Nissans are up there with American cars when it comes to poo poo I hate working on.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

shy boy from chess club posted:

At first I was thinking AC condenser, then lol. Nissans are up there with American cars when it comes to poo poo I hate working on.

Japan’s Chrysler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think that's being rather unkind to Chrysler, personally.

Just finally put the factory bed cargo lamp on the blue MJ. I traded it off a NAXJA member like a decade ago and only found it again a few months back. It turns out people are literally paying over 200 dollars for these right now.