Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

blunt posted:

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1430152985938628610?s=20

AI really is the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm curious if the models might be picking up on physiological differences related to healthcare and nutrition disparities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

I'm curious if the models might be picking up on physiological differences related to healthcare and nutrition disparities.

Maybe! It seems they went at least somewhat down that path when trying to account for it:

quote:

Gichoya and the team went to great lengths to find a similar explanation for their findings. They examined whether the race predictions were influenced by biological differences such as denser breast tissue. They investigated the images themselves to see whether the AI models were picking up on differences in quality or resolution to make their predictions, perhaps because images of Black patients came from lower-quality machines. None of their experiments explained the phenomenon.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i want to be in the universe where its the AI reading the corner text "race : _____"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

blunt posted:

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1430152985938628610?s=20

AI really is the gift that keeps on giving.

dang, all of those turn of the century phrenologists would have killed for this poo poo

PhazonLink posted:

ah and there it is the weird goon hateboner for cursive. and maybe even ALL OF HANDWRITING

because allowing big tech companies to have biometric voice data is good AND, allowing some text font to speak for ALL of human output is good.

dont they know the hexagons tile better and are more efficient?

i take no joy in reporting the death of handwriting, i am a dispassionate observer on our march to hand all responsibilities and duties to machines

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega Comrade posted:

Not exactly tech but it's Silicon Valley'esc shortcut food gimmick so still feel it fits here.

https://squareat.com/squares

For those who want dystopian future prison food.

Invest now!

Mochi for white people.

quote:

Taste has a shape. Enjoy our Squares wherever you want, easy to store, you can eat them as a quick snack, reheat them if you are in a hurry or cook them to enhance the flavors

:raise:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 24, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

:thermidor:

quote:

A Startup Is Turning Houses Into Corporations, And The Neighbors Are Fighting Back

On a sleepy cul-de-sac amid the bucolic vineyards and grassy hills of California's Sonoma Valley, a $4 million house has become the epicenter of a summer-long spat between angry neighbors and a new venture capital-backed startup buying up homes around the nation. The company is called Pacaso. It says it's the fastest company in American history to achieve the "unicorn" status of a billion-dollar valuation — but its quarrels in wine country, one of the first regions where it's begun operations, foreshadow business troubles ahead.
To make second home ownership possible for more people — and, of course, make money — Pacaso uses a "fractional home ownership" model. They buy a house, lightly refurbish it, furnish it and then create an LLC for it. They then divvy up ownership of this corporatized house into eight fractions and sell those shares on their website.

If you buy a share in a house, you're able to stay in it 44 nights per year in increments that can't exceed 14 consecutive days per visit. You can also "gift" these stays to friends or family. Pacaso offers an app to handle the logistics of booking stays. It oversees management, maintenance and cleaning of the property. In exchange for all this, it charges 12% of the home's purchase price upfront and monthly fees going forward. If you buy a share in a house, you have to hold on to it for a year. After that, you can sell it and profit from any appreciation in the home's value (or be on the hook for any depreciation).
You may say wait! This is just another timeshare!

You may say wait! Our neighborhood/town outlaws AirBnB!

quote:

The county, Day says, had designated their neighborhood an "exclusion zone," which bans Airbnb-style, short-term rentals to preserve the "residential character" of communities. But Pacaso argues that its clients are not short-term renters. They are co-owners of an LLC. This also means they don't have to pay the typical taxes on short-term rentals. Likewise, in the nearby town of St. Helena, Pacaso was trying to circumnavigate a city ban against timeshares with the same argument. Day says he and his neighbors saw Pacaso's newfangled business model as nothing more than a "glorified timeshare" with a legal strategy aimed at "skirting regulations that are designed to keep communities intact."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
on the current subject of tech illeteracy, i think another reason techbros do dumb poo poo like that is because their bubble is sooooooooooooo small they dont even know that human civ has invented THING.

also they dont get how numbers on s screen are suppose to be abstractions of real life things, or that the laws of physics or even soft social laws have limits on stuff.

(I'm assuming theyre ignorant and reinvented the wheel, and not smart enough to construct something timeshares in a way to try to law magic loophole local laws)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BiggerBoat posted:

A lot of jobs are kind of like this too.

When I start a new one, I try my best to let them know to "first show me, then watch me, then let me go and correct me" except without fail they show me the "rules" and then turn me loose too soon where I quickly realize that all those rules are different for every job. It's like, even if I know how to do the actual work, I don't know how THEY process it after only 2 days and then they think I'm an idiot. "All the information is right here" except it isn't and a lot of it contradicts each other. Every shop is unique and does things in different ways. Owners and managers all seem to think it's simple.

And then see how a lot of places seem to be baffled by the very idea of having to train their own workers, and expect years of experience for 'entry-level' minimum wage positions. It's been such an employer-friendly market for so long that they've literally forgotten how.

PhazonLink posted:

on the current subject of tech illeteracy, i think another reason techbros do dumb poo poo like that is because their bubble is sooooooooooooo small they dont even know that human civ has invented THING.

also they dont get how numbers on s screen are suppose to be abstractions of real life things, or that the laws of physics or even soft social laws have limits on stuff.

(I'm assuming theyre ignorant and reinvented the wheel, and not smart enough to construct something timeshares in a way to try to law magic loophole local laws)

Also they've all lived in city centres their entire lives and have no concept of any other kind of life. This isn't exclusive to tech bros (the Xbox One marketing guy going 'Why would I want to live there?' when asked about areas with poor internet comes to mind) but definitely more obvious.

Though it's a little of both, plenty think they're 'innovating' when they're just re-inventing subletting and jipney cabs, others are well aware of the damage they're causing and either don't care or intend to take advantage of it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also they've all lived in city centres their entire lives and have no concept of any other kind of life. This isn't exclusive to tech bros (the Xbox One marketing guy going 'Why would I want to live there?' when asked about areas with poor internet comes to mind) but definitely more obvious.

Hell, most goons.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:thermidor:

You may say wait! This is just another timeshare!

You may say wait! Our neighborhood/town outlaws AirBnB!

Every time I hear about time shares, I think about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIfYLC45jN0

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And then see how a lot of places seem to be baffled by the very idea of having to train their own workers, and expect years of experience for 'entry-level' minimum wage positions. It's been such an employer-friendly market for so long that they've literally forgotten how.

Employee training has become somewhat of a lost art. I suspect one of the reasons the greatest generation got so much poo poo done in the immediate, aftermath of WWII was because training lots of people with poor to average motivation to do things adequately had recently been a matter of literal life and death.

I sort of understand the reason it happened though. Companies that need skilled labour tend to locate next door to their competitors because that makes it easier to poach your competitor's employees. That's why all the big banks are in NYC or London City, movie studios in Hollywood, techbro sector in the bay area and aircraft industry in Wichita, KS.

If your employees can leave for competitors at any time, training them carries the risk that that investment will benefit your competitor instead. Most countries have realizes this makes education and training is a common pool resource, which is why education has largely been outsourced to publically subsidized colleges and universities.

The problem with this is that someone else is then deciding what is, and isn't important enough to get included in the curriculum.

Personal motivation can of course offset poor training practice. Otherwise there would be no symphony orchestras, gymnasts or ballet dancers, because those fields seem to have nearly universally terrible pedagogy.

The problem is that it's unreasonable to expect everyone to be so thoroughly dedicated to their jobs that they'll figure it out on their own. A field where you can only make it if you dedicate yourself to it 100% will very quickly run into hiring problems.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a huge problem in Australia at the very least where apprenticeships have a less than 40% success rate, because employers just string apprentices along for as long as possible without actually training them so they can enjoy subsidised labour. And a lot of trades that are almost entirely done by ageing boomers who refuse to train anyone who might replace them. Of course then they can just import cheap and easily controlled foreign labour- oh whoops.

Am reminded that the New Deal had construction projects specifically set up with combinations of experienced tradespeople and new workers, people who might have never had a job in their lives, so the latter could get on-the-job training from professionals and be set up to enter the labour market with proven skills and experience. You sure as gently caress don't get that anymore.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 25, 2021

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/OnlyFans/status/1430499277302816773

That was quick. I guess the payment processors didn't like the bad press.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SimonChris posted:

https://twitter.com/OnlyFans/status/1430499277302816773

That was quick. I guess the payment processors didn't like the bad press.

I don't think it was them, the changes were being pushed by a scummy billionaire (whose wife had contact with Epstein) and some very sketchy Evangelical groups who didn't like being in the limelight. I suspect they laid off because it was bringing too much attention to them. Prior to this announcement, the Payment Processors were already trying to shift the blame away from them.

Previously posted:

https://twitter.com/GustavoTurnerX/status/1428862579997241346?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 25, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PhazonLink posted:

I'll never forget the techbro who "invented" leaning.

For the mere pittance of $300 you can get the "Pivot"

Or, if you really want to go all-in on this amazing new concept of not quite standing yet not quite sitting, you can purchase a Focal Upright for just $1,400.

I can't find his loving amazing investor speach, but it was like ten thousand TEDx talks rolled into one.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Didn't they have those in the nineties?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mister Facetious posted:

Didn't they have those in the nineties?

Yes they were called stools.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

yes yes but no; I specifically mean those idiotic monopod seats. I could've sworn they used to be sold to photographers or something.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Here's a fisherman using one in front of the still-under-construction Golden Gate Bridge. So, yeah, the 90's.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

Here's a fisherman using one in front of the still-under-construction Golden Gate Bridge. So, yeah, the 90's.

Tech Nightmares: Reinventing Crowdfunding the One-Legged Stool

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm reminded of when the Swedish kneeling chair started showing up here because of Ikea; there was a newspaper cartoon with two Scandinavians talking about how we would buy anything, and that they should see if we would fall for animal feed as a health food (specifically i think they were referencing muesli).

actually that might have been a dilbert strip, but this was ages ago.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 26, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Radioactive599/status/1430998882478133249?s=20

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
there need to be penalties for filing frivolous takedown claims. maybe if computers sending out a bunch of half cocked bullshit cost the company money there'd be changes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

In retrospect, this was a lot funnier before Starlink.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'll never forget the techbro who "invented" leaning.

For the mere pittance of $300 you can get the "Pivot"

Or, if you really want to go all-in on this amazing new concept of not quite standing yet not quite sitting, you can purchase a Focal Upright for just $1,400.

I can't find his loving amazing investor speach, but it was like ten thousand TEDx talks rolled into one.

Someone please use photoshop to erase the seat cushions from these pictures.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Won't some tech company please come around to "disrupt" copyright? Please?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

no hay camino posted:

You mean all those fly by night Amazon sellers from China with an algorithmically generated name?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

no hay camino posted:

Napstr

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

You mean all those fly by night Amazon sellers from China with an algorithmically generated name?

is amazon doing anything to combat those?

they're a reason why i now use amazon price check things, and then either try to get it from the official website, or an actual big box store.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

is amazon doing anything to combat those?

they're a reason why i now use amazon price check things, and then either try to get it from the official website, or an actual big box store.

They've banned a few of the big ones that got caught buying positive reviews, but no, not really.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

I would like to know more about the algorithm generating those gibberish names, and exactly how they're supposed to be confidence-inspiring. I tried to look this up before but got nowhere.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

eXXon posted:

I would like to know more about the algorithm generating those gibberish names, and exactly how they're supposed to be confidence-inspiring. I tried to look this up before but got nowhere.

I don't think they care about confidence. It's about flooding the field, dodging the few wandering, drunk bots that are set up to occasionally clear them out and then they use black hat tactics to boost the listings up to push it up in search. Once they get caught they can just nuke the account and start over.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

gonna start selling my posts from Stelugii Incorporated, Staleugigi LLC, Staligigu Global. every one will be shipped by boat

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

no hay camino posted:

If by disrupt you mean make it even easier to quickly fill more notices, then you are in luck.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Fair enough as long as the EULA requires you to give up half your remaining lifespan

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

joe football posted:

Fair enough as long as the EULA requires you to give up half your remaining lifespan

The panopticon becoming a form of blood magic is definitely one way to make our cyberpunk dystopia less boring.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

This app will be a hit among Karens that call the police on minorities walking around in their neighborhood. Nextdoor integration when?

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 27, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
THis is an incredibly minor bitch from an old man but I have my deceased mother's old boom box in my bathroom that I use to listen to the radio or play a CD as I shower or get ready for work but I've had THREE power outages in the last week here for whatever reason and I wish I had an analog dial to re-tune this dumb loving radio.

All I use it for is to listen to NPR news or sports in the morning but every time the power dies, it takes me forever to find my stations again. I know, I know, just keep batteries in it, right? OK fine but god forbid I don't ever have to use them and then, in less than a year, they corrode and ruin my little bathroom entertainment device.

I don't see what was so wrong or inconvenient about just turning the dial to the station(s) you like or why this way is an improvement.

Don't even get me started about how the motherboard on my stove is making GBS threads the bed so the simple act of cooking is a constant roll of the dice, depending on my oven's mood. I seriously don't miss simply turning the dial to the temperature I need but now the touch screen digital thingy is deciding when it wants to listen to me. I really don't see how is any of this better? And the cost of fixing the motherboard is not only prohibitive but anyone who can fix it is 2 or 3 weeks out from even being able to come by.

Old cranky guy update for this month I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Apple caves in on Antitrust suit.

What Apple's App store reversal means for services revenue as regulators, developers close in
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3734911-apple-changes-app-store-amid-antitrust-scrutiny-threatening-services-revenue

Amid mounting pressure from regulators and lawmakers, Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) yesterday announced changes to its App Store policies that could impact the Epic Games trial verdict and reduce sales for the services business, Apple's second-largest source of revenue after the iPhone.

The tech giant cut its standard 30% commission rate in half for news publishers publishing content through Apple News and announced a slate of changes for app developers to settle a class-action antitrust lawsuit.

The key App Store change is Apple clarifying that developers can inform users about alternative payment routes. The developers still can't include the information within the iOS app but will be allowed to contact customers through email and other methods of communication a user opts to receive. Apple doesn't collect a commission on payments outside its ecosystem."The issue of how developers can communicate with customers is relevant for the suit filed by Epic Games (developer of Fortnite), which is awaiting a ruling from the same judge. In our best case scenario, we think the judge could approve this settlement and apply some of the changes as basis for ruling in the Epic case," writes BofA analyst Wamsi Mohan in a new research note, reiterating a Neutral rating on Apple due to the risk/reward balance.

Epic Games filed an antitrust suit against Apple after Fortnite was removed from the App Store for installing an independent in-app payment system. Apple's core argument during the trial was that the commission rate, or so-called "app tax", is necessary to help maintain the security of the App Store.