Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

I should have told the pharmacist I had cancer

should just say "I'm a lawyer" while making a drinky motion with your hands up to your mouth, surely they'd understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1431020813231149056?s=21

listen guys I know thing or 2 about data

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

https://twitter.com/kathryniveyy/status/1430887381582761997

gregday
May 23, 2003

have the 12,000 dead from NY been factored into the totals yet

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Jamsta posted:

Great new boys and girls, the good poo poo is in!

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1431022716279267333

2k sports is back bb

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
georgia asks citizens to stop getting covid

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

smoobles posted:

Dad, STOP!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

euphronius posted:

I should have told the pharmacist I had cancer

*filling out questionnaire for vaccine*
"If you have cancer, please specify which type"
*fills out "forums" under other section*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

gregday posted:

yes

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Jamsta posted:

Great new boys and girls, the good poo poo is in!

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1431022716279267333

Oops. Looks like another 100k by mid-October.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Jabronie posted:

2k sports is back bb

yesss

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
9/11 by 9/11 when

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
some of those that work forces
want the paste that’s for horses

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Gravybong posted:

lol

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

gregday posted:

They always were. The 12k dead were correctly reported to the feds but weren't being added to the State reports or tallies

lol just magical thinking shoving twelve thousand deaths under the rug

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Gravybong posted:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

https://twitter.com/emojimashupbot/status/1430862622409347073?s=21

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
letter from HR at a Rutland, VT company

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Gravybong posted:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I have a question. I meant to post it here, but accidentally posted it in the lovely D&D thread.

Obviously there are a billion ways this virus can - and has - been brought to heel, but we won't do any of them in America because death cult and Libshits. So assuming that zero covid is impossible - it's not, but it's impossible in practice because America is a failed state - then it seems to me that the only realistic 'solution' is one that addresses the consequences of COVID. And with that in mind, three conclusions stand out to me as - from my understanding - consistent with the data.
1. The worst probable effects of COVID on an individual are death or long COVID.
2. The vaccines are, even with the somewhat waning efficacy we see, still quite effective at preventing death but seem to be at best 'better than nothing' at preventing long COVID. In either case, regular boosters will likely continue to ensure that, if all else stays the same, the vaccines will remain effective at preventing death.
3. Not everyone who gets COVID, vaccinated or not, and recovers suffers from long COVID.

Ergo it seems to me that maybe the 'solution' here inasmuch as there is or it is one, is to try and figure out why not everyone who gets COVID gets Long COVID and trying to reproduce that? Because I've got a friend in the UK who's a diabetic and got COVID and not only did he, thankfully, survive, but hes' fine now. No long COVID. While in contrast, plenty of people - some in this thread - healthier than him have been crippled by it.

Like is there any data or compelling theories? Why is it that it seems like whether or not you get long-term consequences from COVID seems utterly random and does not seem to correspond with age or comorbidities? There's a clear relationship between being unhealthy or old and dying from COVID, but not so much from whether or not COVID fucks you up for life.

there are plenty of horrible outcomes with covid inbetween death and long-covid. someone in here a few days ago mentioned they had a couple 30ish year old patients who were coming off a few days on the vent and now needed tracheotomies because the vent hosed up their trachs--that means they're going to live the rest of their life with a hole in their neck that they breath and talk through.

covid is a vascular disease so it can gently caress up pretty much any organ. people have needed double lung transplants, new livers, etc.. all kinds of stuff. it's probably what long covid symptoms ultimately are attributed from--covid just loving up and wreaking havoc on your circulatory system and all the things it can touch (everything in your body)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Gravybong posted:

:five:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

mod sassinator posted:

sir this is a wendys drive through, and i regret to inform you we are closed due to staff shortages, contaminated beef, and a boil water advisory in our area

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gravybong posted:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Gravybong posted:

loll

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Gravybong posted:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Joementum posted:

letter from HR at a Rutland, VT company

“don’t give down, give up!”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Louisgod posted:

9/11 by 9/11 when

not gonna happen until the second half of September

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Gravybong posted:

lmao

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Great I have a sore throat that just started randomly midday and is getting worse and worse by the hour. Never had allergies do that but here's hoping.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gravybong posted:

:horsedrugs:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

nooo not the economy :qq:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
If it's any consolation to those waiting for ICU beds in ERs, folks that make it to the ICU die more often than not anyway so you're just speed running, baby! Get on with your bad self(and die)!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Gravybong posted:

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Louisgod posted:

*filling out questionnaire for vaccine*
"If you have cancer, please specify which type"
*fills out "forums" under other section*

lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

External Organs posted:

If it's any consolation to those waiting for ICU beds in ERs, folks that make it to the ICU die more often than not anyway so you're just speed running, baby! Get on with your bad self(and die)!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gravybong posted:

can we thread title this? or make it the forum name?

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Agean90 posted:

people looking for societal collapse just remember

Your already in it. It's not exciting. It's never exciting. Hollywood lied to you. It's just everything getting really lovely while the authorities refuse to do anything. There will be no endemic violence. They will be no cathartic detonations of the powers that be. just everything getting worse in the most boring way possible until a group from outside the power structures kicks things over

you will not notice it when they do. it will simply look like the rational next step in everything else that happened. trmp

“I sat in the dark and thought: There’s no big apocalypse. Just an endless procession of little ones.”
— Neil Gaiman

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

mod sassinator posted:

there are plenty of horrible outcomes with covid inbetween death and long-covid. someone in here a few days ago mentioned they had a couple 30ish year old patients who were coming off a few days on the vent and now needed tracheotomies because the vent hosed up their trachs--that means they're going to live the rest of their life with a hole in their neck that they breath and talk through.

covid is a vascular disease so it can gently caress up pretty much any organ. people have needed double lung transplants, new livers, etc.. all kinds of stuff. it's probably what long covid symptoms ultimately are attributed from--covid just loving up and wreaking havoc on your circulatory system and all the things it can touch (everything in your body)

Isn't that more a consequence of the vent itself, rather than COVID, and falls under the purview of unfortunate breakthrough cases that *do* require hospitalization, which would be expected even under most normal circumstances?
Like my understanding - and again correct me if I'm wrong - is that those sorts of outcomes (hospitalization and/or death) would be expected as a minority of breakthrough cases, but by no means common assuming people are vaccinated and get boosters ever 4 months or so.

Like, again, my understanding is that the vaccines are by and large very good at preventing death and hospitalization and just bad at preventing whatever exactly long COVID is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Gravybong posted:

Shittin in the name of