Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lmao welp, the culprits have been found. time to wrap up the investigation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Like is there any data or compelling theories? Why is it that it seems like whether or not you get long-term consequences from COVID seems utterly random and does not seem to correspond with age or comorbidities? There's a clear relationship between being unhealthy or old and dying from COVID, but not so much from whether or not COVID fucks you up for life.

From memory:

-If you absorb COVID through the eyeballs, that could cause loss of sense/smell
-Oxygen deprivation causes brain damage (if your lungs handled COVID poorly, the more likely you are to have complications)
-Mumps titers being high via MMR causes kids to rarely have complications from COVID, and variable mumps titers in adults might explain the wide range of people who are symptomatic/asymptomatic

Gates Foundation is taking their sweet rear end time with their MMR trial - I think they should have results by the end of the year.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

jetz0r posted:

Unemployment ends on sept 6th and sept 11th, for federal extended claims.

i'm gonna get kicked off UI on 9/11 when we hit a 9/11 worth of covid deaths.

lol

lmao

i'm lmaoing because if i start crying, i won't stop.
lmao we are so hosed, just thoroughly and completely owned

Goobish
May 31, 2011

To be fair we're already used to quite a bit of violence here in the US, like, not much different even though things like domestic violence have skyrocketed and poo poo but. I dont think there's really an amount of violence that will shock people here anymore. People literally get over school shootings and live with them as just a thing that happens now. I dunno what I'm trying to say other than even if there was some huge apocalypse, there will still he a good amount of people here who look outside at the hellfire and go "that's fine, you're just being crazy"

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gravybong posted:

some of those that work forces
want the paste that’s for horses

Lmbo

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agean90 posted:

There will be no endemic violence.

there literally already is endemic violence though?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Gravybong posted:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Gravybong posted:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Isn't that more a consequence of the vent itself, rather than COVID, and falls under the purview of unfortunate breakthrough cases that *do* require hospitalization, which would be expected even under most normal circumstances?
Like my understanding - and again correct me if I'm wrong - is that those sorts of outcomes (hospitalization and/or death) would be expected as a minority of breakthrough cases, but by no means common assuming people are vaccinated and get boosters ever 4 months or so.

Like, again, my understanding is that the vaccines are by and large very good at preventing death and hospitalization and just bad at preventing whatever exactly long COVID is.

Boston data shows 5% of breakthrough cases were hospitalized (it's even higher in more recent data): https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/breakthrough-covid-cases-in-massachusetts-what-we-know/2457920/

Seattle, similar data ~5-10% of breakthroughs are still hospitalized: https://publichealthinsider.com/2021/08/06/video-dr-jeff-duchins-covid-19-press-briefing-august-5-2021/

Breakthrough hospitalizations are not rare and are happening at the same rate as unvaccinated people. It's just that breakthrough cases are less common as the vaccine helps to keep you from getting the breakthrough case in the first place. But once infected it looks like your odds of getting hospitalized or dying (1-1.25% CFR still seen in breakthrough cases from that data above) are the same no matter if you were vaccinated or not.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

there literally already is endemic violence though?

tfw the violence is so endemic even the person lecturing you about it doesnt notice it

gregday
May 23, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gravybong posted:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

McNugget Buddy posted:

From memory:

-If you absorb COVID through the eyeballs, that could cause loss of sense/smell
-Oxygen deprivation causes brain damage (if your lungs handled COVID poorly, the more likely you are to have complications)
-Mumps titers being high via MMR causes kids to rarely have complications from COVID, and variable mumps titers in adults might explain the wide range of people who are symptomatic/asymptomatic

Gates Foundation is taking their sweet rear end time with their MMR trial - I think they should have results by the end of the year.

I thought we were seeing long COVID, including brain damage, in individuals who had otherwise mild cases of COVID. Wouldn't that imply that the brain damage is not the simple result of oxygen deprivation?

Again, I'm not like trying to say you're wrong or be confrontational. I'm - hah - just asking questions because I don't know much biology.

EDIT:

mod sassinator posted:

Boston data shows 5% of breakthrough cases were hospitalized (it's even higher in more recent data): https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/breakthrough-covid-cases-in-massachusetts-what-we-know/2457920/

Seattle, similar data ~5-10% of breakthroughs are still hospitalized: https://publichealthinsider.com/2021/08/06/video-dr-jeff-duchins-covid-19-press-briefing-august-5-2021/

Breakthrough hospitalizations are not rare and are happening at the same rate as unvaccinated people. It's just that breakthrough cases are less common as the vaccine helps to keep you from getting the breakthrough case in the first place. But once infected it looks like your odds of getting hospitalized or dying (1-1.25% CFR still seen in breakthrough cases from that data above) are the same no matter if you were vaccinated or not.

How do we know though? If the CDC is only tracking breakthrough cases that result in hospitalization or death, how do we know what the denominator is? Like how do we have any real meaningful large-scale data on breakthrough cases in total?

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Gravybong posted:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Schmeichy posted:

Shittin in the name of

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

jfc

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

the horse paste stuff is literally breaking my brain. i just genuinely can’t process it. that people are so loving stupid that are taking animal dewormer over just getting a loving vaccine is just wild

america has always been this stupid?????

it's absolutely wild and it owns lmao

they're demanding Death instead of admitting they were wrong and it's incredible

Apr 7, 2003

Lol the rest of the world knows quite well that it’s a deadly virus, you dingdong

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Zokari posted:

tfw the violence is so endemic even the person lecturing you about it doesnt notice it

just gotta learn to live with the white supremacist stochastic terrorism , a thousand dylan roofs in their poo poo eating rick sanchez bowl cuts bloom, it's endemic

Apr 7, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

it's absolutely wild and it owns lmao

they're demanding Death instead of admitting they were wrong and it's incredible

They’re blasting bits of their intestine into the shitter and cheering about it p

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
We thought, like the rest of the world, this isn't that real of a virus.

drat that is a hell of a internet disease quote.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Lol the rest of the world knows quite well that it’s a deadly virus, you dingdong

In the anecdotal sense

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

keighleigh even sounds like a horse name smdh

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I thought we were seeing long COVID, including brain damage, in individuals who had otherwise mild cases of COVID. Wouldn't that imply that the brain damage is not the simple result of oxygen deprivation?

Again, I'm not like trying to say you're wrong or be confrontational. I'm - hah - just asking questions because I don't know much biology.

Follow-up visits of otherwise mild patients have been revealing lung damage - even if your oxygen sats don't plummet, that doesn't mean the virus isn't eating your lungs

From last year:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200811/asymptomatic-covid-silent-but-maybe-not-harmless

quote:

In the lungs, scientists have reported cloudy white areas called “ground glass opacities” in asymptomatic patients. Ground glass opacities are also seen patients with more severe COVID-19.

Across four different studies of people with asymptomatic infections, about half have had ground glass opacities on CT scans.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

So I went to publix for my third shot and they refused me since I am not a literal cancer/aids patient. Walked across the street to Walgreens and got my new first shot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gravybong posted:

:eyepop:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Brain damage itself is a mild symptom. Moderate symptom is hospitalization and severe is intubation and death. Anything you can tough out at home, no matter how debilitating in the long term, is categorized as mild.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
everyone in this thread is a depraved horn dog and now the science proves it

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34431724/

quote:

COVID-19 and Sexual Desire: Perceived Fear Is Associated with Enhanced Relationship Functioning

Lifestyle changes caused by the COVID-19 pandemic had mostly negative consequences for individual, relationship, and sexual functioning. However, some individuals have reported increases in sexual desire and made new additions to their sex lives. Given that stress-provoking situations can sometimes make mortality more salient and heighten sexual desire, it is possible that lifestyle changes and fear of COVID-19 infection may have benefited some relationships. We conducted a cross-sectional study with 303 romantically involved adults (58.1% men) and found that lifestyle changes were associated with negative changes in one's sex life, unrelated to wanting to spend time with one's partner, and positively associated with relationship quality. Lifestyle changes were also positively associated with sexual desire, but only for participants with high (vs. low) fear of COVID-19 infection. For these participants, sexual desire was associated with positive changes in one's sex life and wanting to spend time with one's partner, but not with overall relationship quality. Results were consistent after controlling for pandemic-related anxiety and demographic variables. This study advances literature focused on the importance of romantic relationships in stress-provoking situations such as the COVID-19 pandemic by shedding light on the association between sexual desire and personal and relational well-being.

fear of catching covid makes you horny. now put that respirator on and call me a bitch the way i like it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Salt Fish posted:

Brain damage itself is a mild symptom.

lmao

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That Moderna study gives me some hope that I got max titers or at least some titers. I just like the word titer.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

soscannonballs posted:

So I went to publix for my third shot and they refused me since I am not a literal cancer/aids patient. Walked across the street to Walgreens and got my new first shot.

Lmao, did you get your first few shots there?

For my speed run I did Pfizer shots at CVS and then a Moderna shot at Publix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

McNugget Buddy posted:

Follow-up visits of otherwise mild patients have been revealing lung damage - even if your oxygen sats don't plummet, that doesn't mean the virus isn't eating your lungs

From last year:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200811/asymptomatic-covid-silent-but-maybe-not-harmless

I'm not too familiar with biology so like... how? How can you have oxygen deprivation significant enough to damage your brain permanently but not have any outward signs that doctors notice? Like how can you be brain damaged but not cause outward symptoms that would necessitate a trip to the hospital or be measurable?