Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Do the Plutone, the gimmick for it is really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
P-Bandai is officially launching in my country. Which offerings are good?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

The clear Earththree is actually this kind of sparkly clear plastic that looks lovely, at least on the Core Gundam. I don't think there's any other kit with quite that same coloration.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

My next submission is a goofty grandpa with an action base:

Next up in a HG G-Self with another action base!

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Looks like I got credit for this guy too soon, but I finally finished the RX-78-5:

Next up is the Origin RX-72-2 Rollout:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Azubah posted:

Do the Plutone, the gimmick for it is really cool.

Okay. I read 00F, but I don't really remember anything about the Plutone other than it looking cool.

Admittedly a bit nervous about those cables after the Exia ones sucked.

Okay, yeah, this one was cool. I didn't even know about the core fighter until I was mid-build. Also the cables are not a drawback, hurrah!

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
P-Bandai put up the product pages for Gundam Online Expo 2021. Really cool selection of Japan exclusive kits including several kits from Gundam Factory Yokohama.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

aqu posted:

P-Bandai put up the product pages for Gundam Online Expo 2021. Really cool selection of Japan exclusive kits including several kits from Gundam Factory Yokohama.

oh god loving drat it, they had an mg perfectibility and its closed and i couldn't have afforded it in the first place and :negative:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

SpikeMcclane posted:

Okay. I read 00F, but I don't really remember anything about the Plutone other than it looking cool.

Admittedly a bit nervous about those cables after the Exia ones sucked.

Okay, yeah, this one was cool. I didn't even know about the core fighter until I was mid-build. Also the cables are not a drawback, hurrah!

I love the Plutone as a model, probably one of the top 10 PB exclusives for me.

The holographic bits do kinda suck on both RG and MG Exia but it helps a little if you pre bend them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My first build that I post to this thread and it's not even Gundam.

The instructions to this brand weren't as clear as Gunpla, look at this:

But overall I really like the final product. The plastic is thicker than most Gunpla I've built so it feels more like an action figure than a model. I have a Megatron to do but I think I'm gonna build Moon Gundam or Barbatos Rex next.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Does anybody know of a glow in the dark paint that actually paints on green in the light, rather than white? Was thinking about picking up an RG Eva and was hoping to make the green parts glowy. I know of the p-bandai night combat version but I missed out and it's pricy aftermarket.

On that note, I swear I saw a post on instagram earlier of an p-bandai RG Eva 01 reissue (maybe slight recolor?) that comes with the launch dock and the spear of Cassius like in the new movie, but I think it got deleted because now I can't find it, but keep your eyes peeled for that if that sort of thing interests you.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was just watching the Rebuild movies today and wondering what the state of Eva models was.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Does anybody know of a glow in the dark paint that actually paints on green in the light, rather than white? Was thinking about picking up an RG Eva and was hoping to make the green parts glowy. I know of the p-bandai night combat version but I missed out and it's pricy aftermarket.

On that note, I swear I saw a post on instagram earlier of an p-bandai RG Eva 01 reissue (maybe slight recolor?) that comes with the launch dock and the spear of Cassius like in the new movie, but I think it got deleted because now I can't find it, but keep your eyes peeled for that if that sort of thing interests you.

Maybe try something like this?

Says it dries clear on lighter colours, could test it prior to see what it ends up like?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was just watching the Rebuild movies today and wondering what the state of Eva models was.

Bandai's RG kits are great and well worth getting. Don't go near the old HG kits at all, but Kotobukiya's are mostly okay save for some loose shoulder pieces.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

They are good. Once you build one the rest don't deviate much except for head/(some)chest/shoulders, but they are great kits. Only kind of weird part is the bicep has a habit of coming apart.

Standard RG releases so far:
Unit-00
Unit-01
Unit-02
Mk. 06
Unit-08a
Unit-03(preorder)

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Tonight I’m taking it easy and doing some G-Frame kits as display case fillers.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Warning on those flame toys transformers kits: don't use a pour panel liner. It'll eat the plastic. Quickly and agressively.

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Does anybody know of a glow in the dark paint that actually paints on green in the light, rather than white?

I just went through this. Most of the easily accessed GITD paints kinda suck. You can get dry pigment, though, which is kind of a weird off-white when not glowing, and mix it with other paint to get the color you want. I ended up with a strange mix of tamiya clear, valejo flourescent green, some thinners and the GITD pigment, because I was going for a very specific look. There's no need to go that crazy, though. Just mix the pigment into the paint of your choice and you'll likely be good.

Started on this, but will need to finish it up tomorrow. All I got was legs.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Definitely recommend making at least one RG Eva kit. They're put together in such an interesting way. I've made two now and they definitely don't vary all that much, though finally getting around to the movies has made me very tempted to put together a full set.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am considering getting Micro Set or Mr. Mark Setter. It feels like depending on who I ask, I either apply it to where the waterslide is supposed to go, apply it after the waterslide is applied, or both. The thing is with waterslides I just like to place the decal in the general area, though not necessarily near where the decal would ultimately go, then scoot it in place, which I imagine would be at odds with having the setter in place first. If I do decide to do that, would I need to place the decal very close to where it is supposed to go?

Also I see that the PG Unleashed has you placing a few non-metallic decals on the frame. I do have my third party waterslides but I think I may just use the stickers for that.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Finally got some points on the board. Would have been done sooner but I really wanted to finally break out the airbrush I bought *checks notes* a year and a half ago to apply a flat topcoat. Also the billion stickers.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sort of a followup question to my previous post, and forgive me for the dumb questions: If I am not interested in putting on a top coat, should I even bother with waterslides? I know that the topcoat is the way to protect waterslides. And I know a spraycan of the stuff is fairly cheap. Hopefully the people in the apartment complex dont mind me using it in the courtyard area if it comes to that.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am considering getting Micro Set or Mr. Mark Setter. It feels like depending on who I ask, I either apply it to where the waterslide is supposed to go, apply it after the waterslide is applied, or both. The thing is with waterslides I just like to place the decal in the general area, though not necessarily near where the decal would ultimately go, then scoot it in place, which I imagine would be at odds with having the setter in place first. If I do decide to do that, would I need to place the decal very close to where it is supposed to go?

Also I see that the PG Unleashed has you placing a few non-metallic decals on the frame. I do have my third party waterslides but I think I may just use the stickers for that.

In my experience, Micro Set is extremely optional and barely makes any difference. Micro Sol is extremely my jam and I don't do waterslides without it anymore. My process (from what I remember, I've built two models in the last 6 years and they both used stickers):
  1. Optional: Brush some Future floor polish self leveling clearcoat anywhere you're likely to put decals and allow to dry overnight. This is really only necessary if you have a painted or otherwise rough surface that might trap air bubbles underneath.
  2. Optional: Brush some Micro Set on the model where the decal will go if you think it might have trouble sticking
  3. Put the decal on the model as usual, including removing excess water and/or Micro Set from the surrounding area
  4. Once all your decals are on, wait for everything to dry overnight.
  5. Brush Micro Sol over all the decals and don't touch them again until they've dried overnight. They'll crinkle up and look ruined until they dry out, this is normal. If something is out of position at this point, learn to live with it because you'll only make things worse trying to fix it.
  6. Optional: Apply topcoat

Ignore the 5+ foot paint job on this model that's definitely not built to Bandai's quality:

Note how the lettering and red stripes conform to the surface detail to the point that they look painted on. That's all Micro Sol.

Unlucky7 posted:

Sort of a followup question to my previous post, and forgive me for the dumb questions: If I am not interested in putting on a top coat, should I even bother with waterslides? I know that the topcoat is the way to protect waterslides. And I know a spraycan of the stuff is fairly cheap. Hopefully the people in the apartment complex dont mind me using it in the courtyard area if it comes to that.

Do the waterslides either way. Most of my models don't have topcoat and most of them have intact decals. Do a topcoat if you can though.

Edit: To the goon that was asking about this ~a week ago, I intended to make this post for you but someone else asked too before I could be bothered to take pictures.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 26, 2021

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

G-Frame kits are sort of nice when you panel line them and touch up the paint spots and mangled nubs. Some metallic sharpies to bring out some details goes a long way as well.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfmD1yYqP6k

One of us, one of us, ONE OF US!...

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'm working on the RG Zeong now and loving love it (almost feels like an Origin design) but idk if I have the discipline to airbrush this thing once it's assembled. The color separation is too good :(

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Another build down. Well, actually I finished it a week ago and I've been procrastinating like mad.

Flight mode looks super loving dumb, like Gundams always seem to in these modes.

Anyhoo, I have a four-day weekend now and I'm broke, so time to tackle a big project before the end of the month!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

koreban posted:

G-Frame kits are sort of nice when you panel line them and touch up the paint spots and mangled nubs. Some metallic sharpies to bring out some details goes a long way as well.

Yeah, there’s some good details there. Though the back is totally hollow and bad but out of sight out of mind

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Burbo posted:

Yeah, there’s some good details there. Though the back is totally hollow and bad but out of sight out of mind

That’s only really true for the back of the upper arms and thigh panels (and the funnels on the Hi-Nu, the Nu Gundam has it modeled.) The rest is encapsulated in the press fit armor panels.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Squawk squawk, mofos!

It's so very, very dumb. So it perfectly fits Wing.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Finished the Eva Unit 08 RG very recently and I also recommend the EVA stuff. The biceps coming off with rotation and fiddling with the shoulder pylons were slightly annoying but it's a real solid model and the sniper rifle is super nice. Ended up picking up the Unit 00 and Mark 6 as a result, and will probably end up getting the Unit 01, 02, and 03 at a certain point.

Now going to do the Freedom 2.0, which is my first MG. Heard a lot about how the hips can be danger sections, so hopefully this goes well. And very nice of them to include a stand.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Some Gundam Expo stuff is live on P-Bandai! Looks like they're already getting hit with some congestion. I managed to get a crystal body Unicorn and two painting model entry grade grandpas before it crapped out.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got the SD Real Life Grandpa and SD Clear Crossbones

[barney]IT BEGINS[/barney]

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Here's hoping nothing I'm trying to buy sells out between my adding it to the cart and me being able to sign in and check out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Some Gundam Expo stuff is live on P-Bandai! Looks like they're already getting hit with some congestion. I managed to get a crystal body Unicorn and two painting model entry grade grandpas before it crapped out.

I managed to order the G-Dock Gundam and a system weapons kit, but yeah. Lots of reloading.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I think all I want from today's releases are the Clear Red RG Sazabi. Talk me out of it? Otherwise I'm F5ing.

Fake edit: sites dead

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

in the case of p-bandai, keep in mind you can consolidate orders you make on different days as long as they release the same month BUT not if you use paypal to pay.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I tried to get the 21st century marking zaku but it never proceeded to checkout for me. I could see my cart, but not go forward to pay until it showed sold out about 90 minutes after it opened up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This is a joy to watch,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfmD1yYqP6k

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Got this one started and finished the same day! This is my first of the recent HG Wing series, and it was a pretty satisfying little build. Probably not going to show off the missiles and such until I have time to slap some paint on them, but it looks pretty OK with everything closed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

El Burbo posted:

in the case of p-bandai, keep in mind you can consolidate orders you make on different days as long as they release the same month BUT not if you use paypal to pay.

Huh, that's very inconvenient for me, since I've been doing just that.