Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Read After Burning posted:

I don't know if I agreed with Jiggly winning over Serena, and I LOVE the former.

I agreed initially but when I watched it a 2nd time, the winner really did embrace the song. The smiling squat-hops were kind of... lol. She looked amazing tho.

Anyone know the t on the last 2 rudemption lip-syncs (Silky Vs Pandora / Silky Vs Eureka)? It looks like they were both filmed on the same night since Charli is on the panel both times along with Ru in the blue fringe. That means Silky did TWO rudemption lip-syncs in one night. I have never stanned Silky but she really proved she was motherfucking ready (I don't think she won the last one at all, but still... 2 in one night). It kind of annoys me that people got so butthurt over props when other queens have come out looking like loving pinatas. Give her some credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Also, it's not like she was doing the challenges. She had nothing TO do but spend time readying gimmicks for the lip syncs

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

ALFbrot posted:

Also, it's not like she was doing the challenges. She had nothing TO do but spend time readying gimmicks for the lip syncs

Other queens: I have two days to prepare? I'll wear a corset and put on some goth makeup.
Silky: Conceives, builds, and performs in the Barbie Girl costume. :allears:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I guess for me, it's just confusion on what exactly the judges look for in a lip sync. Sometimes stunts win out, sometimes knowing the words better wins out, sometimes making the judges laugh wins out, sometimes hitting "the vibe" of the song wins out...

Is it just a "I'll know it when I see it" thing? :P Plus, you know, storyline reasons..

On Reddit, I just saw "the big Boulet talks like Nathan Fielder" and I am deceased.

The biggest indicator is the edit during the lipsync. Who seems to gets more camera time on specific actions that make you think highly of them. I believe every lipsync is done twice and then spliced together?

The best example of what they can do with the edit is with Gottmik. Production wanted her to the end because 1) amazing artist 2) first transman so for every dancing challenge she was always either just out of frame or not the focus shot. There's still a couple of shots where she's on like the edge of the screen and whiffing the choreo horribly but no one talks about it. That's the power of the edit!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

resting mitch face posted:

I agreed initially but when I watched it a 2nd time, the winner really did embrace the song. The smiling squat-hops were kind of... lol. She looked amazing tho.

Huh, I'll re-watch it. I guess I was just very impressed by the squat-hops, as they made my knees scream, ha.

Eej posted:

The best example of what they can do with the edit is with Gottmik. Production wanted her to the end because 1) amazing artist 2) first transman so for every dancing challenge she was always either just out of frame or not the focus shot. There's still a couple of shots where she's on like the edge of the screen and whiffing the choreo horribly but no one talks about it. That's the power of the edit!

My partner and I clocked this almost immediately. The disco challenge in particular, but I think the Rusical as well.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Eej posted:

The biggest indicator is the edit during the lipsync. Who seems to gets more camera time on specific actions that make you think highly of them. I believe every lipsync is done twice and then spliced together?

Every runway is filmed twice then spliced together. The second time the judges will have their commentary and rehearsed jokes. I don't think they do lip syncs twice, especially given all the queens who lose their wigs or have broken jewelry and outfits.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Eej posted:

My partner and I clocked this almost immediately. The disco challenge in particular, but I think the Rusical as well.

I made a video pointing this out that got deleted from the subreddit for being "low effort content"! :sparkles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ2qCvdLnsA

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nihonniboku posted:

Every runway is filmed twice then spliced together. The second time the judges will have their commentary and rehearsed jokes. I don't think they do lip syncs twice, especially given all the queens who lose their wigs or have broken jewelry and outfits.

Maybe they just splice different parts of the lipsync together cause I've definitely seen teleporting outfit pieces between cuts

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think generally we see an edited, paired-back version of the song being performed right?

but surely the queens would lipsynch the whole song, or be given the whole unedited track, so it makes sense that we see an edited version

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
They film the lipsync once, then Ru watches it two more times focusing on specific queens each time. They definitely don't edit it chronologically though, which is part of the reason the songs are always truncated.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The editing is pretty evident in the Symone vs Utica lip sync, where Symone's scarf keeps disappearing and reappearing.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Eureka definitely teleports a couple of times in their lipsync against Silky.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the runway mix of "You Wear It Well" sounds like the rollercoaster theme park music from Donkey Kong Country 2

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Trinity was robbed. ROBBED!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

blizzardvizard posted:

Trinity was robbed. ROBBED!

She was.

The challenge had potential to be a complete disaster, but everyone actually did pretty okay. But still very underwhelming for a challenge to determine the final 4. At this point in the competition, it should be something much bigger, shocking, and glamorous. What we got was not that. Pooping your pants is not oval office.

At this point, I don't really care who wins in this final 4, although I think it'll probably be Ginger or Sonique.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Episode thoughts: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO #TEAMTKB

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Well, no reason to watch the finale now.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

That was hard to watch, because everyone did so well. As much as I love her, I feel like Ra'Jah may have had the worst performance, mostly because her story didn't feel that intimate and she had an obvious stumble. Trinity's felt the most vulnerable and her delivery was good, so it's even harder that she ended up going.

I'm mixed about Eureka's win (though she really deserved at least one previous win), but mama that runway had details

Ra'Jah and Kylie in the top 4 is such an incredible glow up. It kind of speaks to Kylie's consistency that no one really considers voting for her despite her not having as many peaks as other queens.

Also, thoughts on the GwaG results: Felt a little sad and anticlimactic that Silky couldn't beat the final boss, but it was probably for the best. Her missing so much of the real competition would've made it really easy to just send her home again. Getting her own very special episode is already a win in itself.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Production pretty heavy handed this episode. They basically left as much laughter as they could in for Eureka's performance to justify the win while lots of obvious jokes from the other queens got complete silence.

It's really hosed up for TKB to make it to the top 4 and then not even have a chance to fight in the game within a game unlike every other queen including the one who had zero wins until this episode. Every AS has to have something that just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Also I'm kinda uncomfortable with them parodying Vagina Monologues since it really has nothing to do with gay men but that's just a minor quibble, I think.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nerve-wracking. And sad. Totally unfair.

Pure bullshit.

Doubt Ra’Jah has a chance. It’ll 80% be Ginger or 15% Sonique. Split the rest with Eureka and Ra’Jah. 😒

Highway robbery.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 27, 2021

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

that dang morris rigged it

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

subpar anachronism posted:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

gently caress THAT

Ru and Michelle’s face cracks said it all.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

subpar anachronism posted:

Gotta have that redemption story arc to get a favorite into the finale.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This result made me not want to watch the finale, I'm so salty.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
The more I think about it, the more I'm kind of pissed that a queen returned.

Maybe the game within a game should have just been a separate challenge as a last-ditch effort for the eliminated queens to get more air time and rack up on some tip money. Then the last queen standing could have gotten crowned the champion, and then they could all go the gently caress home so we could get back to the top 4. The nerve.

RIP OG AS6 top 4.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I have the biggest crush on Kylie/Sonique, but God dammit, Team Ra'jah.

I've wanted a Southern top 4/5/whatever for a while, but I'm still so bummed Akeria isn't in it.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I found that episode frustrating and kind of sad. The main challenge was not very good and I don't really get why the winner won even though I like the queen. Unfortunate.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Pretty poo poo that this elimination is the only one who doesn't get a second chance

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

ALFbrot posted:

Pretty poo poo that this elimination is the only one who doesn't get a second chance

That... hadn't occurred to me. That does suck.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

I’m not really a fan of her, but the episode really seemed like it went out of the way to be rather cruel about her elimination. What a lovely situation.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

the escape goat posted:

gently caress THAT

Ru and Michelle’s face cracks said it all.

It's...upsetting for sure. Hers was probably the best of the monologues. It was funny, it was sweet, it was very personal, and went to an unexpectantly wholesome place - I genuinely thought it was the winner! Like I can't begrudge the actual winner, I thought theirs was pretty good too even if I'm not a fan, but I really thought the queen that went home did the best of everyone.

The face cracks kind of tell us the judges expected a different outcome, though, which is...infuriating. Rig things in favour of someone that deserves it for once, for gently caress sakes.

I'm still...this has been a good season and if either three of the top four take the crown, I'll be okay with it. It's just a though pill to swallow.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yah - TKB’s story was easily the loving best and was super inspirational. That’s a goddamn monologue. It reminded me of watching Henry Rollins (former lead singer of Black Flag and his own band Rollins Band, punk pioneer, world traveller, amazing road stories and inspirational) talk about random rear end crazy stories but in the end having a message.

Gingers came across as fake or at least ultra rehearsed like something out of a play. Didn’t the guest helpers say not to treat it like reading out of a book? Maybe to another queen.

Rajahs was alright but needed a little more prep (not as much as Gingers).

Eureka’s was just a story about making GBS threads yourself and then tacked on a message about feeling good. I do want a jalapeńo cheddar corn dog tho.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's still weird to me that RuPaul and Henry Rollins are good friends. No weirder than Ru and Kurt Cobain I guess.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rollins is a saint to all. Dudes an inspiration.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I'm just going to leave this here:

https://youtu.be/pFiqO0Qpa_g

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

ALFbrot posted:

I don't think any of the ones moving forward will either though.

But yeah, kinda lovely.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I never thought someone would make a Hot Dog on a Stick uniform look sexy, but dammit, Kylie...let us breathe, dammit!

This runway was fun and I hope to see it again.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oops is a great theme because it's so open to interpretation and no five girls all decided to cover themselves in Warhol tat or kimonos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I love how Ra'Jah reused her earrings that kept falling off in her S11 entrance.

And in general how she won more than enough in her first lip sync to offset her expenses getting ready for AS6. I stan a frugal queen.

It's weird, I feel like she's done exceptionally well but doesn't really have the winner's edit to take the crown. Though no one really does, except maybe Eureka. It's like no one deserves the crown, but no one doesn't deserve it? Is this what an actually competitive season looks like?