Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Has Amazon always been this aggressive with spam emails for recruitment?

I'm now getting spam from them on 2 of my 3 personal emails as well as on my work email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I'm seeing the same and have had more than one friend mention it as well, feels like they really kicked it up.

A good move if their goal was to further cement that I'll never work for them.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I've also been seeing ads on literally every job board for them. It's really off putting because it feels like a massive red flag that any company so well known needs to be so aggressive about recruitment.

Also yesterday I had my first recruiter conversation in years. It was with a recruiter at a FAANG(Not Amazon though), and I was so nervous it was ridiculous. I think it really threw me off because I'm used to feeling a very different power dynamic with recruiters, where they are the ones selling me on the job, not the other way around. I didn't feel like I was explaining myself anywhere near as well as I typically do, so I hope I didn't talk myself out of the process.

Maybe I should have taken some normal podunk recruiter calls first instead of ignoring them, just to knock the rust off.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah I've had to tell multiple recruiters in the past week that I already blew my Amazon load for the year and I'm in the doghouse for awhile. A lot of it is for AWS, which reinforces the fears I have with that organization.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

wilderthanmild posted:

Has Amazon always been this aggressive with spam emails for recruitment?

I'm now getting spam from them on 2 of my 3 personal emails as well as on my work email.

Since beginning of august I've gotten emails from four different amazon recruiters on the same email address.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I've been getting emails from a remarkably persistent Amazon recruiter (for a position that has absolutely gently caress-all to do with what I do), but only the one. Earlier this year I was hearing a lot from Facebook, though.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
one thing that may influence the increase is that most teams have found out their headcount from planning season a little bit back. combine that attrition and you end up seeing a lot of recruiting going on to fill spots.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
When I've gotten emails from Google or Facebook or other big companies it's always an internal recruiter and the outreach is fairly high-quality. When I've gotten from Amazon it's always a 3rd party recruiter who was apparently allowed to use the Amazon logo in their signature. But they're the same kind of poo poo-tier recruiter as Robert Half or private recruiters and they're just going for quantity.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

been getting emails from amazon weekly and same with facebook. facebook is definitely using form letters that try to guilt trip you into replying, one of my buddies showed me the exact same messaging but from a different recruiter.

noticed that i've been getting way more now that i've joined big tech.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Definitely Amazon recruiter spam super picked up. In May I actually was trying to find a recruiter myself, initiate contact. Now they're everywhere.

Now that my job search is ending one thing that aggravates me is not everyone uses calendar invites for interviews, such an easy and good best practice.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

From the inside - Amazon/AWS seem to be hurting for people, we have TAM shortages in Europe and an aggressive pipeline for hiring.

Tough on them cos I should have an offer coming for a Product Manager role next week, even in the UK the salaries are catching up & beating Amazon.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is consulting good? I'm pretty miserable at work lately and I got an offer for a $65k increase from a consulting company. They say I need to update my skills (accurate), which is why I'll spend the first month training at a slightly reduced salary before my first assignment. It all sounds too good to be true. Am I missing something important here??

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Some people love consulting firms, other hate it. I don't really have any experience working on one so I can't say much there.

However, I would be incredibly skeptical of any offer where I'd receive some reduced salary until some arbitrary time in the future. Is that specifically your salary(X), or is part of it some kind of thing where you get paid a base salary but when they bill a client you see a piece of that(Y), effectively making your pay X + Y?

Edit: Also I've had to update/learn skills on the job before, but never received reduced pay during that. I really think that's a red flag the more I think about it. Like I said, I've never worked for a consulting firm though, so maybe it's normal there?

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 26, 2021

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't have it in writing yet, but they said it's a the lower rate until I complete their training, which is supposed to revolve around bringing me up to speed on modern ops tooling. They gave me a specific salary for training and a higher one for post-training which is permanent.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

rt4 posted:

I don't have it in writing yet, but they said it's a the lower rate until I complete their training, which is supposed to revolve around bringing me up to speed on modern ops tooling. They gave me a specific salary for training and a higher one for post-training which is permanent.

Get it in writing in your contract. With frim timelines.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
oral contract is worth the paper its written on

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TheCog posted:

Get it in writing in your contract. With frim timelines.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

oral contract is worth the paper its written on

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, definitely. I'm not putting in notice at my current job without a real signed offer with everything spelled out!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Same.

Speaking of, stay tuned for how my situation will pan out.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

FamDav posted:

thanks, so ICT5? i couldn’t find anything external that actually gave name to them so wasn’t sure.

it is flexible in terms of what the specific demands, but the overall conceit is that you are responsible for bridging technical, business, and organizational concerns across a sufficiently large focus area and acting as a representative and collaborator across the company. as always, staffeng has a much longer winded version https://staffeng.com/guides/what-do-staff-engineers-actually-do

it is still ambiguous at different companies, as some companies do use it to represent someone whose leading a relatively small focus area (1-2 teams, 15-20 people) and/or without a heavy focus on working across organizations. in my opinion this is probably top of senior bottom of staff and is mostly a place to promote people into rather than representative.

The problem with this (ubiquitous) on-paper definition is that there's only so much work like that to do but most companies that adopt it don't have a process that can tell people at the top of the level below that there's no room to promote them into. I have yet to work at or hear of a company where the "staff engineer" level did more than 1) serve as a way to gaslight the people who wanted it but didn't have it (justified or not) and 2) incentivize people to invent new initiatives and projects solely so that they can be the one to "bridge [the corresponding] technical, business and organizational concerns" and thereby get themselves promoted.

e: The other thing about the level is that the codified competencies are pretty lofty but usually to get hired into it all you need is N years of experience, where N is sufficiently high, and to not faceplant during your systems design interview.

raminasi fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 26, 2021

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

raminasi posted:

The problem with this (ubiquitous) on-paper definition is that there's only so much work like that to do but most companies that adopt it don't have a process that can tell people at the top of the level below that there's no room to promote them into. I have yet to work at or hear of a company where the "staff engineer" level did more than 1) serve as a way to gaslight the people who wanted it but didn't have it (justified or not) and 2) incentivize people to invent new initiatives and projects solely so that they can be the one to "bridge [the corresponding] technical, business and organizational concerns" and thereby get themselves promoted.

there's only so much room for any position. a team of 10 developers only has room for 1-2 senior developers before the opportunity for doing work "at your level" becomes cramped and leadership gets blurred. and once you get to a terminal level (which is almost always senior) there is nobody pushing from above to make sure you get promoted to the next level unless 1) you're demonstrating upwards that you're doing next level things and/or 2) that you're asking what it will take and to be prioritized on work that shows it.

and as for inventing new initiatives/projects, it's most senior people's job to think bigger than where you're at currently. its on other people to make sure that work isn't being done to just pad someone's promo but actually has meaningful impact to the business (either externally or internally). if your promo process doesn't ensure that, then that's the problem.

quote:

e: The other thing about the level is that the codified competencies are pretty lofty but usually to get hired into it all you need is N years of experience, where N is sufficiently high, and to not faceplant during your systems design interview.

this says more about the company than the role. at best (worst?), it's because the company doesn't have enough senior technical leadership to know how to asses it.

FamDav fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 26, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

rt4 posted:

Some consultancy firms have a "bench" rate and a rate for when you're billing a client. You get the bench rate if you're between clients and twiddling your thumbs. It's usually 40-60% of your usual salary. If they're saying you get that while doing your training that's probably okay, but I would not take it if that would entail an effective pay cut.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The market is crazy enough right now that I have zero idea what a "good" salary is for a medium-to-senior role. What do the benchmarks look like now for second-tier-under-FAANG salaries and how excessive a number should I be putting out there when talking to random recruiters?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Roadie posted:

The market is crazy enough right now that I have zero idea what a "good" salary is for a medium-to-senior role. What do the benchmarks look like now for second-tier-under-FAANG salaries and how excessive a number should I be putting out there when talking to random recruiters?

is the place on levels.fyi? you should go look at levels.fyi.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The offer I just mentioned is for $170k at 13 years experience, which would put me in the top 25% of compensation in the nearest metro area on levels.fyi. There's another company that may make an offer more like $200k total comp soon, but a lot of it is a cash+stock bonus, which I don't entirely trust

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Roadie posted:

Heavily dependent on the local market

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i dunno if i can post in this thread yet but ive done contracting at 2 different companies. one where i was on a whole team that was contracted out to create projects with such strict requires and timelines that mgmt could then bill the client for change orders when bugs inevitably appeared or it wasnt really what the client wanted, and one where i was a butt in a seat at a huge travel tech company that i just left last month. if its contracting of the first type, dont do it because it makes you feel like poo poo producing an inferior product

barkbell fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 27, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Roadie posted:

In what city

Bay Area/ex bay area doesn't seem to be hard to break 200k, unless they're backfilling a position

I was quoting $240 and recruiters weren't laughing at me, so I bumped my quote to $270 and people stopped returning my calls, so for me at least, sounding like the upper limit is in that range. That's pre equity number

Two years ago $170 wasn't terrible. In the bay area you can swing a dead cat and get three 200k offers no problem. I wonder if the lack of h1-b and international students due to covid is having any impact

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Don’t forget that a lot of that is equity. Your base salary plus bonus is still probably gonna be around 150~170k.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FamDav posted:

there's only so much room for any position. a team of 10 developers only has room for 1-2 senior developers before the opportunity for doing work "at your level" becomes cramped and leadership gets blurred. and once you get to a terminal level (which is almost always senior) there is nobody pushing from above to make sure you get promoted to the next level unless 1) you're demonstrating upwards that you're doing next level things and/or 2) that you're asking what it will take and to be prioritized on work that shows it.

and as for inventing new initiatives/projects, it's most senior people's job to think bigger than where you're at currently. its on other people to make sure that work isn't being done to just pad someone's promo but actually has meaningful impact to the business (either externally or internally). if your promo process doesn't ensure that, then that's the problem.

this says more about the company than the role. at best (worst?), it's because the company doesn't have enough senior technical leadership to know how to asses it.

It kinda seems like the industry is starting to conflate level of experience and ability, with the actual role and responsibilities taken on by individuals. It's like in a video game when you have a bunch of S-class units, but only one or two of them can be the leader/are the main source of damage. Any of them can do the job, it's just that the structure of it means there's only so many slots.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

It kinda seems like the industry is starting to conflate level of experience and ability, with the actual role and responsibilities taken on by individuals. It's like in a video game when you have a bunch of S-class units, but only one or two of them can be the leader/are the main source of damage. Any of them can do the job, it's just that the structure of it means there's only so many slots.

you get the job that you are doing, not the job that you might be qualified for. if everyone was a senior engineer but only 1 or 2 had to be the leaders, would that mean the others get worse comp? and for non-senior engineers, why are they not senior engineers if they’re doing the same job as most of them?

to me your analogy would make sense if you had compared across specialties. yeah, everyone is a senior/staff something, but only the delevopers focus on code, pms focus on product, etc.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Roadie posted:

Just to add another point of anecdotal evidence to the pile: I make $165K (no equity) for a bootstrapped company that's all remote, but technically headquartered in Seattle. I've been there for two years and I have about 12 years of experience. I recently started asking around on tech Twitter and have had multiple people confirm that yes, I could probably be making north of $200K while staying remote.

And you really shouldn't be giving recruiters a number; they should be giving it to you. I mean you don't want to completely sour the relationship before you even get in the door, but I would try to push back on them as much as possible before giving them your expected salary. Some options for when they ask:

- say you want competitive with market rates
- say you would rather determine fit w/ company before discussing compensation
- say that the overall compensation package is more important than salary
- ask what’s range? then say you'll let them know if that’s acceptable

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Don’t forget that a lot of that is equity. Your base salary plus bonus is still probably gonna be around 150~170k.

I don't know anyone senior making less than $180 base, equity is pretty garbage though, pre-ipo companies seem pretty tight fisted with equity these days

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hey, remember this?

Pollyanna posted:

Lord help me, Google's interested, and now I'm staring at a pile of prep materials.

I am woefully unprepared. I tried the Linked List problem on Leetcode, and it took me over an hour with a bunch of experimentation to get something that passed all the test cases. I can't pull it out of a hat, especially in a fuckin Google Doc instead of a REPL. :negative: I'm not sure if this is actually going to go well...

It did go well. I’ll be starting near the beginning of October. :tviv:

Bit bittersweet cause I’ve been at my current place for almost 3.5 years now, and I’ve grown attached to some of the team I work with right now. Not sure how I’ll break it to my manager. I want to make sure that they understand this was a matter of serendipity and right-time-right-place, but to be honest, I’m pretty unsure of the health of the company going forward, so it was in fact influenced somewhat by that and by difficulties working in the reorg’d team.

Also not gonna lie, I’m feeling a bit of senioritis coming on.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Pollyanna posted:

Hey, remember this?

Bit bittersweet cause I’ve been at my current place for almost 3.5 years now, and I’ve grown attached to some of the team I work with right now. Not sure how I’ll break it to my manager. I want to make sure that they understand this was a matter of serendipity and right-time-right-place, but to be honest, I’m pretty unsure of the health of the company going forward, so it was in fact influenced somewhat by that and by difficulties working in the reorg’d team.

Congrats!

If you can think of something to say to your manager on the way out that might help the teammates you're leaving behind, go for it. Otherwise "it was great working here, but Google came knocking and I couldn't say no" is all you need.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

:20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux: explains it nicely.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Congrats! My wife has been at Google for a bit now so if you have any questions about onboarding or whatever, feel free to DM me!

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Hey, remember this?

Congrats!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Goons gettin paid, love to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Coming out of my lurking in this thread to say gently caress yeah Pollyanna! Congrats!