Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

When working on my kid's Ninja 250r I noticed they put the sight glass directly inboard of the brake pedal so when the bike goes down (and it's a Ninja 250, it will go down) the pedal gets bent into the sight glass and breaks it. His was already cracked and someone slapped some silicone on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I would simply drop the bike on the left :smuggo:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

I would simply drop the bike on the left :smuggo:

That's true the left side is the layer dan side. I chalk this one up to rider inexperience!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

In case of emergency, break the glass.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Phy Is A Dolt post:

Yesterday on the way to work I noticed my gas gauge was almost at zero so I flipped the petcock over at a light, to make sure I wasn't going to have to monkey with it in traffic

When I left work and on the way to get gas, the engine started sucking poo poo. (actually air. It started sucking air. Ran out of gas.) But I didn't think I'd ran it that much longer since I flipped the gas over! I was already in the parking lot of the gas station so I walked it like 20 feet before I thought, hey, wait a minute. And I bent down and actually looked at the petcock.

That's right, I'd had it in RES in the morning and flipped it back to ON. I cursed myself out and put it back in RES and rode the last 50 feet to the pump.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Phy posted:

Phy Is A Dolt post:

Yesterday on the way to work I noticed my gas gauge was almost at zero so I flipped the petcock over at a light, to make sure I wasn't going to have to monkey with it in traffic

When I left work and on the way to get gas, the engine started sucking poo poo. (actually air. It started sucking air. Ran out of gas.) But I didn't think I'd ran it that much longer since I flipped the gas over! I was already in the parking lot of the gas station so I walked it like 20 feet before I thought, hey, wait a minute. And I bent down and actually looked at the petcock.

That's right, I'd had it in RES in the morning and flipped it back to ON. I cursed myself out and put it back in RES and rode the last 50 feet to the pump.

The walk of shame was only 20 feet, so it's not that big a deal!

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Dipsticks allow the manufacturer to change the oil capacity post release. Thank you triumph for your inegenuity

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Dipsticks allow the manufacturer to change the oil capacity post release. Thank you triumph for your inegenuity

Enginuity

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You have to post the pic:

I didn't bother getting the newer dipstick, I just "overfilled" the old one

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

Phy posted:

Phy Is A Dolt post:

Yesterday on the way to work I noticed my gas gauge was almost at zero so I flipped the petcock over at a light

How common it is it to have both a gas gauge and a petcock? In my 10-or-so bikes I’ve only ever had one or the other.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge or anything but browsing through bikebandit's part fiches, it looks like Kawasaki was doing that with some of their bikes in the 90s, including the ZRX.

The Rex actually has a gas gauge but lacks a temp gauge. There's an aftermarket temp gauge that replaces the gas gauge in the dash.

Also I found this while I was looking through fiches, the combo gas/temp gauge on the mid 90s zx9r:

The picture in the fiche made it look a lot more yin-yangy, missed opportunity imo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E: haha efb

televiper posted:

How common it is it to have both a gas gauge and a petcock? In my 10-or-so bikes I’ve only ever had one or the other.

Zrx, vfr750, a few others I can't remember right now. At least on the rex I would've much preferred a temp gauge instead.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Phy posted:

The picture in the fiche made it look a lot more yin-yangy, missed opportunity imo

Weird hockey puck

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pls stop reminding me that my fuel gauge is a "litres consumed on Trip A" number

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Rode mine almost empty last time out and when I went to start it yesterday, the battery went from chugging the starter right along to not able to even spin it over once within probably a minute of intermittent cranking to get new gas from the tank to the carbs. Time for a new battery I guess?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
I accidentally pulled out directly in front of a car today. I don't know how I missed seeing him, but he thankfully swerved to avoid me. Got to the side of the road as quick as I could and parked, apologetically walked over and thanked the car driver profusely. He was very gracious about it, said he was a rider as well, and wanted to make sure I was ok. Here's the kicker: I'm not really shaken up. I'm not upset at all. In fact, I'm more bothered by the fact that I'm not upset. I should have had some sort of adrenalin spike. I was fully prepared to just take 5 on the side of the road to calm down before riding again, but I'm totally calm.

What the gently caress is wrong with me?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

How close a call was it, really? And how long did the park-and-go-apologize routine take?

You probably did have a jolt of adrenaline but since you immediately recognized your mistake and stopped to chat with the driver I think it probably got dumped into a sense of shame/embarrassment and by the time you returned to your bike the jolt had worn off. At least that's the way my brain would have processed it.

I had a very close near-miss with a red light runner last year and while I definitely had to pull over to collect myself I was calmed down and ready to ride again after only three or four minutes.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

FBS posted:

How close a call was it, really? And how long did the park-and-go-apologize routine take?

You probably did have a jolt of adrenaline but since you immediately recognized your mistake and stopped to chat with the driver I think it probably got dumped into a sense of shame/embarrassment and by the time you returned to your bike the jolt had worn off. At least that's the way my brain would have processed it.

I had a very close near-miss with a red light runner last year and while I definitely had to pull over to collect myself I was calmed down and ready to ride again after only three or four minutes.

I'd say it was within a few feet. Obviously we both had time to react and thankfully he veered right, into the shoulder. I'd say the park and apologize took no longer than 30 seconds. Yeah I am embarrassed because it was totally my fault, but I feel like I should be taking this more seriously.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Why deal with the hassle of getting a used bike when you can buy a Chinese bike and get PO fuckery straight from Chongqing

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
In bicycling we distinguish between bicycles (which cost hundreds of dollars and can be ridden tens of thousands of miles without major failure) and Bike Shaped Objects (BSOs) which cost $100 and will make it about 50 miles before stripping out a critical fastener.

I think you might own a MSO.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

LodeRunner posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with me?

I don't know, but I think you should try meth for :science:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ulf posted:

In bicycling we distinguish between bicycles (which cost hundreds of dollars and can be ridden tens of thousands of miles without major failure) and Bike Shaped Objects (BSOs) which cost $100 and will make it about 50 miles before stripping out a critical fastener.

:perfect:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ulf posted:

I like this, it fits well.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Harsh but fair

Today I put hand guards on it and my girlfriend said they look dumb :smith:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I just ran out of petrol on the motorway and had to push 200kg's of Korean poo poo two kilometers mostly uphill, fml

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

I just ran out of petrol on the motorway and had to push 200kg's of Korean poo poo two kilometers mostly uphill, fml

lol gently caress

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

I didn't know you were Korean

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Carth Dookie posted:

OH SNAP

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Carth Dookie posted:

lol gottim

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Why didn’t you fill up before getting on the motorway???

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Why didn’t you fill up before getting on the motorway???

Fun fact about MSO'S: the fuel gauge, on a carbureted, tapless bike, reads empty when the tank is still half full. This means that I had no accurate idea of how much petrol was in there and had to guess; I was intending to take the exit I broke down on to refuel, so I guess I was 2km optimistic. It was the first time I've ridden the thing in a good six months and yeah.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Why do you still have nazikoreabike?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Because nobody wants to buy it firstly, and because it's level 4 here secondly. The neighborhood also flooded recently, that + lockdown is why I only have one road legal vehicle to get me to a shop that isn't in cycling distance. And that vehicle is Korean Hitler.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Buy a non-Nazi bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is it not possible to un-nazi the bike?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

You can do it with boats so there must be a way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Eagle_(WIX-327)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You mean like, ship it to Argentina?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah it's called painting the stupid thing, which I'm not going to do and can't afford anyway.

Regardless it isn't the fact that it's a nazi bike that's holding it back (unfortunately I have seen far worse sell far quicker), it's cause the bike market has been hosed since covid and nobody is interested in off brand cruisers anymore. If it were a nazi Harley or gixxer it would already be gone.

I'm going to fix the small stuff that's broken in the meantime and just put it on a dollar auction, gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rattle can it :shrug: