Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
found out today my company is getting bought out by their shittier competitors which, lol

I’m union in a somewhat niche industry so I should be pretty safe but there’s probably like 700-800 engineers in the city making GBS threads their pants cause they might lose all of their accrued sick time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

idiotsavant posted:

found out today my company is getting bought out by their shittier competitors which, lol

I’m union in a somewhat niche industry so I should be pretty safe but there’s probably like 700-800 engineers in the city making GBS threads their pants cause they might lose all of their accrued sick time

Even if they got canned wouldn't the company have to pay that out on their last cheque?

idiotsavant
Vacation time gets paid out, sick time doesn’t. So a bunch of engineers with 800 hours of maxed out sick time might get to start again with 0

xcheopis

Soon they will stop calling on me for these stupid ice-breaker things at the start of these finance & admin meetings.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

cruft

xcheopis posted:

Soon they will stop calling on me for these stupid ice-breaker things at the start of these finance & admin meetings.

Hi, I'm xcheopis, I've been working here since 1963, and my favorite activities include summoning demons from other dimensions, gathering arcane power through forbidden rituals, and baking.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

idiotsavant posted:

Vacation time gets paid out, sick time doesn’t. So a bunch of engineers with 800 hours of maxed out sick time might get to start again with 0

Holy poo poo, y'all get sick time to that many hours??? Omg.

Time to call in sick for twenty solid weeks.

idiotsavant
Yeah but we get two weeks a year so getting that much takes some time. Most places hold to the lovely US practice of getting mad if someone uses “too much” sick time tho

Most engineers are working under a contract that pays out unused sick time at half-rate if your sick time is maxed out (which takes 10+ years) so if everyone loses their sick time you’re gonna see a bunch of old timers lose their goddamn minds

xcheopis

cruft posted:

Hi, I'm xcheopis, I've been working here since 1963, and my favorite activities include summoning demons from other dimensions, gathering arcane power through forbidden rituals, and baking.

The meeting "theme" was tropical. That right there should tell you everything important about these people.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

idiotsavant posted:

Yeah but we get two weeks a year so getting that much takes some time. Most places hold to the lovely US practice of getting mad if someone uses “too much” sick time tho

Most engineers are working under a contract that pays out unused sick time at half-rate if your sick time is maxed out (which takes 10+ years) so if everyone loses their sick time you’re gonna see a bunch of old timers lose their goddamn minds

I really, really hope they don't lose it. I hope their contracts are airtight.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
When I had an office my snack was either:
a) nuts and raisins from home if I remembered
b) sour peach rings if I ran into someone who wanted to get coffee at 7-11
c) a little parfait if I ran into someone who wanted to get coffee at the fancy place
d) fruit or candy if students gave me something
e) chaat if my office-mate brought in extra
d) if there was a lecture or a roundtable going on whatever snacks the department bought for it (usually qdoba chips and queso)

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Finger Prince

Today I get to tell my manager that I accepted the job I applied to, to work out a transition date/schedule. This will be an awkward conversation, because I'm pretty sure it's the first he'll have heard of it, despite his boss knowing about it. Because this place is severely hosed up. Aaaanyway. Oh yeah, I got the job!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Finger Prince posted:

Today I get to tell my manager that I accepted the job I applied to, to work out a transition date/schedule. This will be an awkward conversation, because I'm pretty sure it's the first he'll have heard of it, despite his boss knowing about it. Because this place is severely hosed up. Aaaanyway. Oh yeah, I got the job!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm proud of you! Are you going to start planning a move west?!

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm proud of you! Are you going to start planning a move west?!

Thank you! I am planning on planning to move at the beginning of October, though I might end up working for a week or two in the new job before doing the big move. That's what I kind of need to hash out today. It's all mildly terrifying and impostor syndrome is looming large, but I had a good chat with my friend who gave me some kind words of support. The move will be a stressful mess though, as usual. Need to find some short term furnished accoms for a month or three to give us time to figure out where exactly we want to live, and if we want to buy something or keep renting. It's more expensive initially doing it that way, but some hard lessons were learned by not doing it that way before.

Escape From Noise

Transition at the new place is kind of weird because I've been told I don't really need to come in a few times since I moved back, even when I asked directly. But things are kind of moving in starts and fits. It looks like I'm going to brew my first batch of beer next week, and I was informed of this sort of suddenly, and there's a lot I'd like to organize before that happens. Some of it is that the brewery has been kind of used as storage space for the last two years while the license was getting taken care of. I organized a bit today, but there's a lot that needs to be done still. I'll probably have to kind of take care of it as I go.

Overall, I'm definitely in a better position than before, but getting these things up and running is always a lot of work. I think the big issue is going to be communicating what I need, partially language barrier, but also partially that my boss is in charge of running the restaurant so he's really busy with that. He's also not familiar with brewing so sometimes explaining what I need equipment wise is a bit of a hassle. I also think that I could probably reach an understanding over time but I just feel a little rushed right now. It's partially down to my bosses, but partially down to the tax office and the paperwork which sometimes takes forever, and sometimes a few days.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I genuinely have no ambition at all because I don't feel like I need to measure my self worth based on other people's ideas of how I should, but I also don't have any confidence because it's been beaten out of me both literally and figuratively, so really I would be perfectly happy living in the slabs again.

I might. That might be my job, just...not job.

Finger Prince

Escape From Noise posted:

Transition at the new place is kind of weird because I've been told I don't really need to come in a few times since I moved back, even when I asked directly. But things are kind of moving in starts and fits. It looks like I'm going to brew my first batch of beer next week, and I was informed of this sort of suddenly, and there's a lot I'd like to organize before that happens. Some of it is that the brewery has been kind of used as storage space for the last two years while the license was getting taken care of. I organized a bit today, but there's a lot that needs to be done still. I'll probably have to kind of take care of it as I go.

Overall, I'm definitely in a better position than before, but getting these things up and running is always a lot of work. I think the big issue is going to be communicating what I need, partially language barrier, but also partially that my boss is in charge of running the restaurant so he's really busy with that. He's also not familiar with brewing so sometimes explaining what I need equipment wise is a bit of a hassle. I also think that I could probably reach an understanding over time but I just feel a little rushed right now. It's partially down to my bosses, but partially down to the tax office and the paperwork which sometimes takes forever, and sometimes a few days.

It sounds like you've got maybe more responsibility at this place, but the right amount for your sort of skill/career level, and a long enough leash to actually get things done, which is cool. I really think you can thrive there once you get in to the swing of things. Good luck! Hey you're actually running your own brewery! That's pretty rad.

cruft

I had a former manager who would ask us, when escalating things to management, to outline the options, striving for a minimum of three (sometimes there aren't three options but it gave us something to shoot for). Explain the impact of each option, and then provide a recommendation.

This, I thought, was really good advice, and I ask my people to do it now. Managers who don't suck want to know what their hired experts feel are the impacts of various options, and what they think is the way to go. Sometimes you don't get the recommended option, and a good manager will try to explain the reasoning behind their decision, but having things presented this way can go a long way to helping make good, informed decisions, and will make your management appreciate you a lot.

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

It sounds like you've got maybe more responsibility at this place, but the right amount for your sort of skill/career level, and a long enough leash to actually get things done, which is cool. I really think you can thrive there once you get in to the swing of things. Good luck! Hey you're actually running your own brewery! That's pretty rad.

Yeah, absolutely. It's been a while. It's relatively small at a size I have experience with. The parent company has a lot of money too, so I should be able to get the equipment I need and all that as long as I can make a good argument for it. There's a lot of stuff they didn't do a great job with the set up, but they're fixing it but... measure twice, cut once! They could have saved so much money! But that happens a lot with people with no experience setting up breweries.

Lol. My psycho ex boss from two or three years ago recently purchased another bottling machine for their new brewery, even though the bottler they had when I was there would be totally fine. Nobody knew how to run the Meheen after I left and they never attempted to learn, so they just used the lovely original Italian hand bottler with a single capper that took like three people to run. Then the owner apparently got impatient and ordered a small canning machine for the original 500 liter brewery (a Wild Goose Gosling), but because of COVID it got delayed and arrived at the same time as the 4 or 5 head Wild Goose canner. So right now they apparently have three bottling machines, one of which they don't know how to use, and two canning machines, one of which makes the other pretty much totally redundant. None of this stuff is cheap. The Meheen was probably $20k or more, the smaller canner is probably about the same, the larger one is probably over $100k, the bottler was a used Czech machine, apparently a very good one so I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than the Meheen.

Finger Prince

Welp, just found out the depths of pettiness my management is willing to sink to, but I'm not surprised at all. And in fact it's one of the leading causes of me getting tfo of there.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Finger Prince posted:

Welp, just found out the depths of pettiness my management is willing to sink to, but I'm not surprised at all. And in fact it's one of the leading causes of me getting tfo of there.

Did you get assigned to clean toilets and empty trash cans for the remainder of your time?

Finger Prince

Zil posted:

Did you get assigned to clean toilets and empty trash cans for the remainder of your time?

Essentially, yes. Except I would rather clean toilets and empty trash cans for the remainder of my time instead of the assignment I've been given.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Finger Prince posted:

Same. I was told I'm useless, stupid and don't communicate because I missed a doctor's appointment for my job yesterday and now have to wait months for another. And so I cried at my desk.

I will continue to cry at my desk. I'm leaving in a few and I don't know that I'll be returning.

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

Petty management is The Worst. Sorry to hear that poo poo. How much longer have you got?

Finger Prince

Petty management is The Worst. Sorry to hear that poo poo. How much longer have you got?

I was hoping for the end of September, but it sounds like they'll try to keep me until mid October if they can. Meanwhile my new manager is kind of expecting 2-4 weeks. So now I get to play political games for the next month or so.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Finger Prince posted:

I was hoping for the end of September, but it sounds like they'll try to keep me until mid October if they can. Meanwhile my new manager is kind of expecting 2-4 weeks. So now I get to play political games for the next month or so.

You're way too nice. Tell them "I have to be wrapped up by this date," and that's the date.

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

You're way too nice. Tell them "I have to be wrapped up by this date," and that's the date.

It's an internal posting, so the politics are absurd. But you're right, and ultimately it will come to that, but there's just a whole song and dance of delaying and stalling tactics that needs to play out in order to get there. If I have a firm date by the end of next week, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Ass-penny

Finger Prince I'm glad you got a different job, I hope your management at the new'n is better. asking you to stay til mid October when it isn't even the first yet... that's a lotta notice.

MN I hope you get out of there soon! That guy sounds like a real bastard.

EFN good luck setting up the brewery! When you post about people you haven't worked for in years I wonder why you're still keeping tabs on people you didn't like, but I suppose that industry is small so that probably accounts for you hearing about things like that?

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Today I left because I was physically shoved. I may never return.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

Today I left because I was physically shoved. I may never return.

You could also charge them with assault! At least, you could in Texas, I don't know what other state laws are like for that.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I don't think I can deal with seeing him ever again so I don't really want to put myself through that

idiotsavant
Write it all down, hostile work environment, go get you some money

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm actually in the process of doing that but had to take a break

idiotsavant
ya it’s loving exhausting when you’re working at a place where you have to do that. good luck goon

Escape From Noise

Cripes. That's awful.

Partially I know things about my former employer because it's a small industry and someone I know mentioned they got this piece of equipment, before that I heard about the canners from another industry person. I'm also fairly paranoid about the guy since he tried to get me in trouble with immigration and get me blackballed in the industry because I quit giving proper notice. Fortunately he doesn't have nearly as much influence in the industry as he thinks, but he is super wealthy so...

xcheopis

Mormon Nailer posted:

I'm actually in the process of doing that but had to take a break

:sympathy:

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Hey man, been a while, but glad to hear that the search for a decent brewing position has started working out for you!

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

Escape From Noise

Lock posted:

Hey man, been a while, but glad to hear that the search for a decent brewing position has started working out for you!

Heyyyyy! I was wondering about you, my friend! Of you can ever come to Osaka hot me up and I'll give you beer!

Lock

Soon as it’s ok for me to travel out of the prefecture,I will absolutely take you up on that. On a related note, finally getting the first jab tomorrow.

Escape From Noise

Lock posted:

Soon as it’s ok for me to travel out of the prefecture,I will absolutely take you up on that. On a related note, finally getting the first jab tomorrow.

For sure. You get your jab yet? I was in Wakayama briefly and got my shots there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock

For sure. You get your jab yet? I was in Wakayama briefly and got my shots there.

Finally getting the first tomorrow. I’m just outside of the current local cutoff but thanks to teaching a class at the local college I can get vaccinated with their staff. Which is good because we’re having a bit of a flareup here. Though I guess that’s true of most of the country right now