Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Today is Customer Appreciation Day at Polyvinyl so here's two $5 coupons I won't be using

BDAE9721D4
7B0720B8C5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Shout out to the STS goon for that Symphonia repress. Between this and Silent Hill 3/4 it’s been a pretty good couple weeks for those of us into videogame soundtracks. (lol)

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I've got a feeling this release is never going to be released. :(

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

IG-88 posted:

Shout out to the STS goon for that Symphonia repress. Between this and Silent Hill 3/4 it’s been a pretty good couple weeks for those of us into videogame soundtracks. (lol)

I'm bummed I missed the Silent Hills! I'm hoping for a SH2 repress, that one has my favorite soundtrack.

"Lo-Fi Beats to be Traumatized To"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CaptainBeefart posted:

I've got a feeling this release is never going to be released. :(

It's probably delayed because of the pressing plants being backed up.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

lament.cfg posted:

Today is Customer Appreciation Day at Polyvinyl so here's two $5 coupons I won't be using

BDAE9721D4
7B0720B8C5

you could use these to buy shy boys awesome third album talk loud!

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

CPL593H posted:

This. All of you with that Garth brooks box set are to blame.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

CPL593H posted:

The wording on this makes it sound like the test press had audio issues. I'm well aware of the annoying backup at the presses. The new Green-House record isn't slated to ship until mid October and that's a real shame.

Edit: I'm okay with it being delayed due to a manufacturing issue or backup at the manufacturer but iam8bit doesn't communicate anything which makes me skeptical. I'm used to some kind of engagement about delays.

CaptainBeefart fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 25, 2021

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

SwimNurd posted:

This. All of you with that Garth brooks box set are to blame.

I bought the Garth Brooks before it was cool maaaan! Back when it was $40ish for all three sets lol.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

sporklift posted:

I bought the Garth Brooks before it was cool maaaan! Back when it was $40ish for all three sets lol.

Lol but that's still a hell of a deal. Lmao

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Big haul over the weekend....mostly used stuff, but here's the new stuff. I'll post the used stuff later.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Read After Burning posted:

I'm bummed I missed the Silent Hills! I'm hoping for a SH2 repress, that one has my favorite soundtrack.

"Lo-Fi Beats to be Traumatized To"

fangamer repressed it pretty often I think. I'm kinda pissed I have all of the first pressings except for the SH1 pressing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I have a strange request. Can anyone identify the album in the background of this scene from a 1978 episode of Barney Miller?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

My first guess is actually one I bought over the weekend, but that doesn't appear to quite match up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

My first guess is actually one I bought over the weekend, but that doesn't appear to quite match up.

I have that one. The album in question appears to be showing the back cover.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The positions of the band members are wrong too.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, hence "doesn't quite match up"...it was just the first one that sprung to mind. The Oak Ridge Boys have several black and white lineup photos, but none match that position anywhere remotely.

Part of the issue is that it's hard to tell how many folks are pictured on the album, so of course that'll make it ten times harder to identify who the group is. At least if you could clearly see, say, three and only three people, you could at least break your search down to looking for trios. But it's hard to tell how many folks are out of sight (further back in the shelf) in that grainy photo.

Hm! You've given me a project to search for when I'm bored during downtime tomorrow at work. We'll figure this out, dammit!

What year is the episode from, do you know?

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
Looks like The Hollies' 1974 self-titled

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Nice! Solved in record time, nice job. I'm not as familiar with the Hollies as I should be..I mostly only know "Long Cool Woman". Any less well known favorites I should start with?

Paradise Killer OST getting a repress! I know video game soundtracks have a bad rap at times, but this one is genuinely great and I couldn't recommend it enough. My mom-in-law hasn't played the game and has no idea what it is, but she was enjoying the soundtrack when I put it on while cooking dinner a couple weekends ago. It's an 80s influenced soundtrack, but via city pop rather than synthwave.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

carrie anne is my personal favorite tune of theirs

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Finally had a chance to listen to Frances the Mute and good god it sounds fantastic. What a clean and beautiful pressing.

It’s a shame it’s on three LPs though. Having to swap in the middle of Cassandra Gemini is a bit of a momentum breaker! I almost wish they had edited some of the ambient noodling out and cut it down to two LPs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

Looks like The Hollies' 1974 self-titled

Awesome work!

Thanks.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Nice! Solved in record time, nice job. I'm not as familiar with the Hollies as I should be..I mostly only know "Long Cool Woman". Any less well known favorites I should start with?

The Hollies are great, and they have a ton of great songs. I would recommend going with a career retrospective, since there's a lot of good stuff, but some specific tracks -

On a Carousel
Just One Look
Look Through Any Window
Bus Stop
Stop Stop Stop
I Can't Let Go
King Midas in Reverse
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (featuring a young Elton John on piano)
I'm Alive
Carrie Ann
The Air That I Breathe
Jennifer Eccles
Dear Eloise
Long Dark Road

That should give you a good sense of what the Hollies had to offer. You can also follow Graham Nash to Crosby, Stills and Nash and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

You can also follow Graham Nash to Crosby, Stills and Nash and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

And then immediately stop following him

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
What are some good Halloween/spooky records that I should be looking to pick up this season? I’m down for everything - spooky music, novelty kids records, soundtracks, as long as it’s creepy and cooky!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Comedy Bang Bang really needs to press the original version of the Monster Mash on 7" for the closest RSD to Halloween.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

What are some good Halloween/spooky records that I should be looking to pick up this season? I’m down for everything - spooky music, novelty kids records, soundtracks, as long as it’s creepy and cooky!

Just get a bunch of John Carpenter scores and the first couple of Ghost albums.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Conrad_Birdie posted:

The original and still the best

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

Comedy Bang Bang really needs to press the original version of the Monster Mash on 7" for the closest RSD to Halloween.

I'd buy that if it had the first 3-4 yearly versions with the lead in conversations no hesitation.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Received a copy of Don Hensley's I Can't Stand Still LP today (sealed even!). Never paid much attention to Dirty Laundry until I've been streaming WFMU's freeform station past couple months while working. One of the DJs loops the first 10-15 seconds of the track for talking over and it's some real good lofi groove.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

The original and still the best

Except for the part when the narrator is doing racist "ching chang chong" poo poo on the track Chinese Water Torture.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

CPL593H posted:

Except for the part when the narrator is doing racist "ching chang chong" poo poo on the track Chinese Water Torture.

Lol

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

CPL593H posted:

Just get a bunch of John Carpenter scores and the first couple of Ghost albums.

also The Director’s Cut by Fantomas

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

lament.cfg posted:

also The Director’s Cut by Fantomas

Hell yeah, good call.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Goddamnit I wish there was a physical vinyl record of number station recordings, I fell like they're over looked in term of spooky sounding stuff. The Gong Station has always been a favorite of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFm7Q9-17w0

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Conrad_Birdie posted:

This comp of the Bonzo Dog Band has Look Out There's a Monster Coming, their cover of Monster Mash, Death Cab for Cutie and Humanoid Boogie. None of it's creepy - it's an upbeat cover of Monster Mash - but it's kooky as all hell.

The new Beach Boys box set has My Solution. A digital download is by far the cheapest way to get the song, but it's right up your alley as it's about a mad scientist.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CaptainBeefart posted:

I'd buy that if it had the first 3-4 yearly versions with the lead in conversations no hesitation.

One of those discs where you get a different version depending on where you drop the needle would be perfect.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Goddamnit I wish there was a physical vinyl record of number station recordings, I fell like they're over looked in term of spooky sounding stuff. The Gong Station has always been a favorite of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFm7Q9-17w0

When I was a kid I stumbled across what was probably a numbers station and it freaked me the gently caress out. There was all kinds of weird noises and someone speaking but it didn't really sound like words. I thought it was aliens and that I was going to get abducted.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

i put on frances the mute and the end of side A keeps looping. im so stoned i think it's been going on for 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

IG-88 posted:

i put on frances the mute and the end of side A keeps looping. im so stoned i think it's been going on for 20 minutes.

Sides A-D all have locked grooves at the end of the side. Enjoy :)