Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also it was the closest thing to sports on when everything was postponed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is not reflective of my experience. Jeopardy has been popular and a part of the public discourse my entire life. It has the same cultural attaché as Wheel of Fortune or any of that, the idea that it’s only recently become popular is totally not how I’ve experienced that show.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The host of Jeopardy is probably a more visible position than the host of the CBS/ABC/NBC nightly news at this point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

This is not reflective of my experience. Jeopardy has been popular and a part of the public discourse my entire life. It has the same cultural attaché as Wheel of Fortune or any of that, the idea that it’s only recently become popular is totally not how I’ve experienced that show.

It's not that its popularity has changed it's that people who don't watch it only hear about it when this host debacle happens or someone makes a run at Ken Jennings's record (or his original run). Jeopardy! nerds talk amongst themselves (what is there to talk about other than a gimme Final being a triple stumper anyway) so if you don't watch the show it looks like everyone is suddenly acting like they watch it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

It was never about “the host of jeopardy” it was “drat Alex Trebek fuckin rules, I fuckin’ love Alex Trebek”. He was the office itself, the show held no prestige because no one in America will ever respect a nerd. It reminds me of when Jon Stewart retired from TDS. There’s no one on Earth who can fill those shoes because it wasn’t about the shoes, so to speak, but the feet themselves we all loved.

The Daily Show under the new guy got far higher ratings than it ever did under John Stewart

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Breadallelogram posted:

the only game show host who matters anymore is Steve Harvey

Watching Pat Sajak barely concealing how much of an rear end in a top hat he is can be fun sometimes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Breadallelogram posted:

the only game show host who matters anymore is Steve Harvey

This Drew Carrey erasure will not stand, he’s a fuckin legend

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

He needs to hurry up and make some gifable faces if he really wants to be remembered.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

sleeptalker posted:

Watching Pat Sajak barely concealing how much of an rear end in a top hat he is can be fun sometimes.

His politics are so bananas I’m kind of amazed he’s able to keep them off the show

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A small town bar I worked at in college used to have Jeopardy on the TV regularly. This was over a decade ago.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I love Drew but I've never watched his Price is Right episodes

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Did we ever find out what was up with Bob Barker telling us to neuter our pets at the end of every episode

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

Did we ever find out what was up with Bob Barker telling us to neuter our pets at the end of every episode

It helps control the pet population

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

These people across both sides of the aisle having a meltdown over this is turning me into a Biden Boy

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1430917222013313024?s=20

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm pro-impeaching all presidents. No more presidents.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pirate Jet posted:

One of his granddaughters was a vet or animal nurse or something and she asked him to promote it and he loved his grandchildren.

Breadallelogram posted:

I love Drew but I've never watched his Price is Right episodes

In an interview with some other comedians, I think Dave Attel maybe?, he talks about how its basically the perfect job to suit his lifestyle. he only has to work about 6 weeks out of the year and then rest of the time he just has a gigantic pile of money and can do whatever the gently caress he wants. His friend's like to play games whenever they catch an episode to see if it's "Fresh as a daisy Drew" in week 1 or 2 or if it's "Dead Eyed and Soul-crushed Drew with madness leaking out of his ears" from week 6 of 12 hour days shooting like 10 episodes a day. I like to play this game with Steve Harvey because he's on the same schedule, but I heard his shoot is for 8 weeks and not 6.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Didn't Matt predict that symbolically impeaching the president will become the norm whenever one party doesn't control the presidency and the House?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Is there anyone out there who wouldn't find it suitable to make tens of million dollars for working an extremely cushy job for 6 weeks out of the year?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well that’s the point, it’s only a cushy job because you work 6 weeks out of the year, but those 6 weeks are 12-16 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Would absolutely do that for what he's paid. And I'm pretty sure he already had enough money to live extremely comfortably for life before he took the job.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 26, 2021

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I would do that for what I'M paid. And then work another job the rest of the year. It's called the hustle mindset. A lot of people buy seedless watermelons, I buy the ones WITH seeds and then plant my own watermelons. It's called the hustle mindset.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Louie Anderson is still alive in case anyone was wondering with game show chat

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Chad Jihad posted:

I would do that for what I'M paid. And then work another job the rest of the year. It's called the hustle mindset. A lot of people buy seedless watermelons, I buy the ones WITH seeds and then plant my own watermelons. It's called the hustle mindset.

Step 1) buy a watermelon step 2) take those seeds and get 10 watermelons step 3) sell those watermelons and buy 30 watermelons step 4) take those seeds and get 90 watermelons step 5) sell those watermelons and buy 270 watermelons step 6) inherit your father's Subaru dealership step 7) sell it and buy 780,000,000 watermelons step 8) sell those watermelons and buy 3 Subaru dealerships step 8) get arrested for domestic abuse step 9) buy a watermelon and complain to the cashier about your bitch ex-wife

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

found this on twitter

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Jabronie posted:

Louie Anderson is still alive in case anyone was wondering with game show chat

Life with Louie was a better show than Jeopardy.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

juggalo baby coffin posted:

found this on twitter

lmao he had such a weird affectation when it came to vaping

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

shrike82 posted:

lmao he had such a weird affectation when it came to vaping

You misspelled "addiction"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

what was the affectation

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i don't know how to describe it but you'd see him take these weird long drags on the juul during episodes of bad faith

could just be colored in hindsight by the revelation that he was a sicko

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

juggalo baby coffin posted:

found this on twitter

Needs water bottles.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Gripweed posted:

The Daily Show under the new guy got far higher ratings than it ever did under John Stewart

according to who, those dogshit rear end nielsen ratings for boomers?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

ratings for political media during the Trump years were much higher than normal so you'd need to see pre/post-Trump numbers for a fair comparison

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

shrike82 posted:

ratings for political media during the Trump years were much higher than normal so you'd need to see pre/post-Trump numbers for a fair comparison

yeah if you discount the years that the Daily SHow had their highest ratings you'd see that their ratings weren't ever actually that high

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
i dont know how else to tell you that TV ratings have little more legitimacy than astrology

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gripweed posted:

yeah if you discount the years that the Daily SHow had their highest ratings you'd see that their ratings weren't ever actually that high

I mean the argument was that Jon Stewart really made the show what it was so the point there is that it was not the new host that really drew in new viewers but liberals desperate need to seem someone anyone own the freaking Cheeto in The White House. Which I feel is a solid argument given how many dogshit late night comedians/talk show hosts were kept a float during the last few years entire cause of this.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

shrike82 posted:

i don't know how to describe it but you'd see him take these weird long drags on the juul during episodes of bad faith

could just be colored in hindsight by the revelation that he was a sicko

he vapes like a tim heidecker in On Cinema amount https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FQu_8qQBN4&t=30s

Bromine
Sep 1, 2003

This is how you funsling, Brett.

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't Matt predict that symbolically impeaching the president will become the norm whenever one party doesn't control the presidency and the House?

Yeah he did and I totally think that's probably going to happen. I don't see how the GOP turns down a chance to impeach Biden if they take the house.

lol oh god I forgot about that stupid avatar. haven't posted in years.

Bromine fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 27, 2021

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Seams posted:

Somebody post that pic of wolf blitzer on jeopardy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jacking off in my college-branded basketball shorts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Was talking with my dad about the hosting fiasco and he brought up this up and he wondered why these people even agree to go on. It's a lose-lose - either you do well which is expected since you're the authoritative anchor on a major network or you eat poo poo like Wolf did and show that you're all just pampered morons.