Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, apparently at CinemaCon they told audiences to please be nice about spoilers on the internet and that they were holding back on showing the full ending so as to keep a surprise for everyone.

gently caress me, it's going to be a CGI Egon eldritch horror, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
I keep thinking it’ll be something like a mid-credits scene where it pans through a library and focuses on a floating ghost. You don’t know what it is yet but as it pans out you see it’s ghost Egon. Turns to look at the camera, smiles, and just goes “shhhhh”.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I don’t think we will get ghost Egon. When has GB ever presented a ghost that wasn’t a baddie? The idea that ghosts could be good or bad kind of raises problematic questions about their indiscriminate busting of all spooks, specters, and spirits. Being a ghost = bad guy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

gregday posted:

I don’t think we will get ghost Egon. When has GB ever presented a ghost that wasn’t a baddie?

Slimer in GB2?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My hope is that they understand putting Ramis in the movie as a CG ghost would be tasteless. There's better ways to pay homage to him than that, I mean the whole movie is a tribute to him in a way when you think about how the stuff Egon did seems to have kicked off the whole plot.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
All your gear owns, I am very jealous. I have toyed with the idea of modding my spirit trap but worry I am too ham fisted to put it back together again. I saw a nice mod kit for the Spengler Wand that links to a pack on youtube today, I want a 3D printer but not sure I can justify the outlay for ostensibly printing GB stuff in my shed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If there's a ghost Egon they should call it Ectogon

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The only way I could see a ghost Egon being even slightly permissible would be if it's the invisible move stuff around kind. Any attempt at cging him will be gross. I hate this resurrection of dead actors trend, it really creeps me out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

My hope is that they understand putting Ramis in the movie as a CG ghost would be tasteless. There's better ways to pay homage to him than that, I mean the whole movie is a tribute to him in a way when you think about how the stuff Egon did seems to have kicked off the whole plot.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Basebf555 posted:

Reminds me of what they did in Doctor Who after the actor who played the Brigadier in the 70s died. How did they pay tribute to his character? Well, at first they had the Doctor learn his old friend had died, and be sad. But apparently that wasn't enough, so later they turned his corpse into a zombie Cyberman who at the end flew into the sky like the Iron Giant and exploded.

:stare: Yyyyyeah.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

All your gear owns, I am very jealous. I have toyed with the idea of modding my spirit trap but worry I am too ham fisted to put it back together again. I saw a nice mod kit for the Spengler Wand that links to a pack on youtube today, I want a 3D printer but not sure I can justify the outlay for ostensibly printing GB stuff in my shed.

Thankfully there wasn't much to disassemble with the Spirit Pack. The backing is just cardboard. I had to do a little drilling for the Spengler V-hook, but it was minor. I got the stickers, v-hook, ion whateverthefuck, and ribbon on Etsy.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

gregday posted:

First pic looks like you’re trying to recreate the OMNI cover.

Since we’re doing Gear Chat:

My pack was built by Sparky’s Prop Shop. I requested only light weathering and it does all the fancy things, lights, sounds, movie quotes, plays theme song and Savin the Day, plus the smoke exhaust after holding down the trigger long enough to activate the rumble mode “overheating” mode. Only thing is I wish the wand tip was telescopic. It’s largely 3D printed but I’ve been slowly replacing parts with metal / real components. GB prop building is so much fun. Sparky’s also made my (not 100% accurate) goggles. Trap is a modified Matty.

Do you have a 3d printer? If so the latest q-pack 3d files have a great pop out wand and mechanism, depending on how far you want to go in piecemeal replacing stuff. My brother just reprinted his wand so he can have a pop out one, and put the old on on the spirit mod pack.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

You can get a very decent 3d printer fairly cheap these days, like an ender3, but a 3d printed pack isn't really cheap all told (though the price varies on how crazy you want to get with accoutrements for it), and its a lot of work doing all that sanding, using a filler primer, sanding again, and repeat. Not that its not worth it to make one from scratch, it was immensely gratifying helping my brother work on his and watching it go from start to finish last year and come alive.

My brother kept a spreadsheet of every cost, and links to every part used, so I can tell you for the completed full pack 3d printed, it was $717.90. The biggest single cost was the filament, roughly 125.00 just for the plastic alone. Then the other parts, the alice frame, the aluminium motherboard, lots of primer, filler, cables, paints etc starts adding up. You can do one cheaper than that though, some of that expense was stuff we ended up not using and doing another way, failed pathfinders etc, and the second biggest expense of his was a GB1 style ribbon cable that only one guy was making so they were pricey.

If you're interested but not sure how far down that rabbit hole you want to go, I'd say get a spirit pack, ender3 printer, and 3d print the replacement knobs, fittings, HGA and other stuff to make it look more accurate, slap it on a cheap chinese produced alice frame (don't use a knockoff alice frame for a full 3d printed pack as they're heavy, and the cheap ones can sometimes have their welds come apart), weather it, and see how you feel. If you catch the bug and want to make a full pack, then you already have some experience and the hardware, and if not, you have a nice spirit pack modded that looks fantastic on its own.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Thanks for the detailed advice! I do want a Spirit pack it is just hard to source in the uk, but I got my spirit trap from a uk seller for a good price so I will keep looking.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Thanks for the detailed advice! I do want a Spirit pack it is just hard to source in the uk, but I got my spirit trap from a uk seller for a good price so I will keep looking.

Keep an eye on Amazon, I bought one on there for £60 last year!

gregday
May 23, 2003

I don’t have a printer. I should clarify my pack shell is a fiberglass from Ben of Kent. Just a bunch of the little details and greeblies in addition to the entire wand is printed. I do plan to swap it for a fully aluminum wand sometime.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Keep an eye on Amazon, I bought one on there for £60 last year!

And look for Rubies proton pack, not Spirit. Rubie's doesn't sell directly, but adding that key term might help.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The recent Hasbro wand is so good. I’d just replace the handle.

Also, having a remote controlled trap on wheels is a great piece of kit for public appearances. People love it. Don’t know if Mini Pufts or Muncher will catch on, but that trap is a solid win so far.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

gregday posted:

I don’t think we will get ghost Egon. When has GB ever presented a ghost that wasn’t a baddie?

The runner ghost in Ghostbusters 2 was just training.

I assume most ghosts are either neutral or just annoying, not downright malicious or bad.

Hell the Zombie cab driver was just driving like a typical New Yorker

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't know that Slimer was really a baddie even in the first one, he was just happy to be eating food in a snooty rich hotel when the ghost cops assaulted him.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Has this thread discussed how the degeneration of Slimer into Muncher maps onto the decline of American society and the anomie of late empire?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't know that Slimer was really a baddie even in the first one, he was just happy to be eating food in a snooty rich hotel when the ghost cops assaulted him.

The librarian ghost had a legitimate complaint. I would be hosed right off if someone tried to tackle me while I was enjoying some poetry at my local library.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Karloff posted:

The librarian ghost had a legitimate complaint. I would be hosed right off if someone tried to tackle me while I was enjoying some poetry at my local library.

Yeah but she also slimed a bunch of books and ruined the note cards :colbert:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
All Ghostbusters are bastards

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Ghost blowjob lady seemed pretty friendly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

90% of the ghosts we see in the movies are less 'dangerous and evil' and more 'kind of pests, seemingly mostly harmless but still something you want out of your house.' Which fits the Exterminator theme. There are malicious ghosts but they usually are there under the influence of some greater evil power rather than anything else.

I say this not because I want a Harold Ramis ghost but because I would put money down on "Bill Murray dies, appears briefly as a ghost" as a plot point.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I really think the issue is that the Ghostbusters didn't try to gently caress emough ghosts. Yes, I know Egon banged the pink slime from GB2 and I cannot believe it took until the 2nd movie for him to get some ghostsnatch

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kevyn posted:

Ghost blowjob lady seemed pretty friendly

I wonder, did Ray ever end up busting her?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ghost hookup
Upside: no risk of ghost pregnancy
Downside: ghost herpes

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I have to believe if Egon knew his death was approaching, he would have set up some kind of lab experiment to research the afterlife, or communicate back with the living, or something. A sort of Houdini thing but more scientific.

No way the man who tried to drill a hole in his skull for science would not take advantage of his own death.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

8one6 posted:

Ghost hookup
Upside: no risk of ghost pregnancy
Downside: ghost herpes

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

I wonder, did Ray ever end up busting her?

It was a dream* but there was almost certainly busting.

*deleted scene, etc.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tom Guycot posted:

I have to believe if Egon knew his death was approaching, he would have set up some kind of lab experiment to research the afterlife, or communicate back with the living, or something. A sort of Houdini thing but more scientific.

No way the man who tried to drill a hole in his skull for science would not take advantage of his own death.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

God, I hate that loving comic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Timby posted:

Come on, when you die wouldn't you want to be remembered as an eternal prisoner in a group of unhinged maniacs + the dude they hired's basement?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

I love you egon. Enjoy ghost jail

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Egons ghost being trapped in his own creations by the remaining Ghostbusters and returning as a villain sounds like a thing that would have been pitched for GB3.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Egon would be smart enough to be a ghost unbuster in the afterlife. He would know how to let ghosts out of the containment grid from the inside.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Ghost Egon would really put the dead in deadpan.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Zavvi has 30% off the Spengler proton gun today with code MERCH30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

The_Doctor posted:

Zavvi has 30% off the Spengler proton gun today with code MERCH30.

Thanks for the heads up