Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 48: Ei Sekigahara 4

I have to consider my next moves carefully.

Lotta stuff to consider here. Let’s go through everything one-by-one.

Consider Android

(A girl with red glasses and braids… She created NM: C0204, the same pills I take. I saw her at the school… But what business would an android have there? Besides, there was something different about her then…)

Consider DD-426

(DD-426… Likely the root of my memory loss. But who would create such a thing? …And why?)

Music: Bad Omen (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Suddenly, the communicator emits the now-familiar voice.

……

We’re not done inspecting all our thoughts, though, so unfortunately this dude’s gonna loop through the whole diatribe again trying to get us to pick up until we answer. Settle down, I’ll get it in a minute!

Consider Oral NM

(Found at the nurse’s office where Chihiro Morimura worked. The label matches the one on the bottle I had. “Oral NM: C0204.”)

Consider Medical Records

Ooh, choices. Let’s start with Ryoko.

(Ryoko Shinonome… Let’s see… “Attempting to delay nanomachine separation in the brain. Applying memory link enhancement… C0204 and C22…” So there are two types of pills, then. C0204 is the same one I have. It’s been over a week since she last received a dose. I wonder how she’s doing… Without the pills, her memory must also be suffering.)

Consider Medical Records

(Shu Amiguchi… He was administered NM: A8076. Looks like a different kind of nanomachine medication. Seems it was only administered once. All it says is “20% transplant rate.”)

Consider Medical Records

(Juro Izumi… He’s receiving two types of treatment. NM: A8075 and B01. He received four doses of A8075… then switched to B01 from the fifth dose on. There’s a scribbled note here… “B01 was synthesized by Tamao Kurabe.”)

Huh, Juro and Shu’s pill numbers are only one number removed from each other. Wonder if that means anything. No, really, I can’t remember if that’s important at all.

Examine Phaser

(A gun from the underground facility in the future. The android was using it.)

Examine Communication Device

Fiiiiiiine, I’ll answer.

It seems you found your way onto school grounds. Unless you want to get caught, you shouldn’t wander about.
……
What business did you have there?
I wanted to learn more about the person I killed.
Forgive me. I should’ve been transparent from the start. Did you see anyone else there? Did anyone see you?
…No.

Blatant lies, you love to see it!

…I trust you. Partners don’t lie to each other, after all.

I’d say this dude’s being awful presumptuous calling us “partners,” but he’s also clearly full of poo poo so whatever.

…Partners? Us?
You really don’t remember? You and I are working together to save everyone.
Everyone? Even the one I murdered?

Well, not her. But everyone else.

That was a necessary action to prevent Operation Aegis. No one else has figured out the truth yet. Those who came from other sectors have been deceived… and Morimura was the one behind it.
……
There’s no coming back after total annihilation. And that was reason enough. It’s why you agreed to take the job.
What job?
You were tasked with retrieving information. It was to be extracted from a certain data unit. But circumstances have changed. That unit may jeopardize our escape. You must destroy it. It’s likely hidden somewhere at Sakura High School. And it may be accompanied by another student. Seek out Natsuno Minami in Class 1-C.

Natsuno…? Guess we’re killing BJ!

Not at all. I’m merely presenting options. The situation must be dealt with one way or another. If we don’t, there’s no turning back.
……

Examine Communication Device

(He’s aware of my circumstances in this world… and he knows about my memory loss, too. Should I have gotten more information out of him?)

Consider DD-426

(It’s basically the nanomachine equivalent of a virus program. …Except it causes brain damage. The infected will ultimately lose their memories… or end up as husks of themselves. It’s likely the cause of my memory loss.)

Consider Natsuno Minami

(Natsuno Minami… All I was told about her was her name and class number. She may be in the possession of that data unit. If not, she’ll know where it is. ……)

It’s my only shot at recovering my memories. Tomorrow, once classes are over… I’ll pay a visit to the school.

Consider Medical Records

(The medical records of three Sakura High School students. Shu Amiguchi, Juro Izumi, and Ryoko Shinonome. They’ve all been administered a pill called NM.)

Consider Natsuno Minami

(Natsuno Minami… She was the one who had that data unit…)

What’re you up to?
I’m just waiting for someone…
Miwako and the others?
No… Someone else.
Ah, okay. Well, I’ll see ya later!
Okay, see you!

Oh, Ei, you poor idiot.

Music: Taking It Easy (Kazuki Higashihara)

Were you waiting for me?
Mhm. I was hoping you’d show up.

……

Use Memories on Iori Fuyusaka

I-I see… Guess I’m not your—

That’s one way to get out of having to reply to a confession, I guess.

Huh?
Yesterday, I only pretended to know who you were.
What!?
But there’s a reason I wasn’t honest. I still don’t know who my enemies are. …I can trust you, right?
Seriously? Of course you can!
Then I’m going to need your help.
I’m happy to help… but I’m *not* happy you lied to me. Why didn’t you tell me sooner?
…I’m sorry.

…How did you find me?
Easy. Your student ID helped me track you down.
Oh, right…

…He doesn’t remember my confession?

No, unfortunately.

Use Memories on Iori Fuyusaka

About my memories, I mean.
Nope. You tend to pop up out of nowhere when I do see you. And when you do, you never really stick around long.
……
Although… The last time I saw you, you had this look in your eyes. Like you really had something to say. Maybe you were planning on telling me then…

Use Natsuno Minami on Iori Fuyusaka

Nat-chan? Yeah, she was just here. She’s the one I was talking to before you showed up.
…!

She’s probably gone by now.
Do you know Nat-chan?
No, not at all…

Use Cryptic Note on Iori Fuyusaka

Okay, at this point we’re operating on classic adventure game “rub everything in your inventory on everyone” logic. There’s no way this is actually gonna help us.

I don’t think so…

In the background, Miwako walks up.

Oh, hey, Miwa-chan.

Oh boy, time for Miwako’s standard hot guy reaction.

Wh-What? Chill out, Miwa-chan.
Sooo, are things going well with you two?
Oh. Well, uh… I’m not sure… Hehehe…
(whispering) So did you get to first?
*blushing* Huh?
No… You didn’t go to second, did you!? Already, Iori-chan!? You move fast!

Miwako rules so goddamn hard.

…Are you done?
Ah! Sorry… I’m doing it again, aren’t I?
Classic Miwa-chan.
Well anyway, just keep at it!
Th-Thanks…
What’re you holding, by the way?
Oh, this? I’m trying to figure out what these numbers mean…
Let’s see here… …… Oh, I think I know what these are for…

…Wait, Miwako knew!?

Please tell me.
They’re for the telephone message service, I think. It just started last month.
Oh, where you can leave messages over the phone?
Mhm. My mom uses it. Whenever she worked late, she leaves me a message.

A message service, huh…

Hey, it’s that girl who keeps trying to shoot you in the face!

(And she’s the one who aimed a gun at my head. She’s definitely up to something.)

Where are you going?
There’s something I need to do…

Do they both live here together?

Music: Lonely Struggle (Rikako Watanabe)

It’s easy when you’re the one holding the gun, isn’t it? But not so much when you’re staring down the barrel. Now tell me… You said that I asked you to shoot me. What did you mean by that?
…That’s just what I was told.

Tell me everything you know.
I—

No, wait!

Very brave Juro, but man, that kitchen must be pretty big for you to not have immediately noticed this ruckus.

You shouldn’t startle me like that. Unless you want to die, that is.
Juro…

You can’t barge into someone’s house without permission.

Huh?

Stay out of this, Juro Izumi.
Izumi? You’ve got it all wrong.

Whoever you are, get out of my way.

He’s not dead. I only stunned him.

Suddenly, the TV turns off.

There must be some trick to it…
The only trick here is my unrivaled genius. Cats aren’t stupid, unlike humans. Especially you. You tried to ditch your Sentinel. You thought you could escape the game? Pff.

Are you talking about the fight against the kaiju?
Sure am. All you could ever think about was running away. But it looks like you came around eventually. I’m guessing you learned some new information.
…New information?
Yeah, you know. The unshakable truth. That’s why you came crawling back… And *begged* me to put you back in the game.
…I did?

Anyway, as promised, I’ll let you back onto the battlefield.
When you say all I could think of was running away… Do you mean I was trying to escape from this world?
Hmph… Who knows?
…Then what did you mean by “new information”?
Man, you really don’t remember a thing, do you? You can always ask, you know.

Miura-kun…

…… Did you say… Miura?

Yes, those are, in fact, the computer’s ellipses just there.

Oh, hello again.

For all third-generation Sentinels, actually.

A familiar voice emanates from the console.

*looking towards the console* …… Just know, I don’t intend to report what you told me. However… I suggest you stop poking your nose where it doesn’t belong.
Afraid I can’t do that. Now, I need a favor from you. If anything happens to me… I want you to keep my line open.
…… *sigh* …Fine.

Wait, Miura!?

I saw Tamao Kurabe at the Sentinel No. 18 lift, too. Who is she? Is she also from the future?
She’s Sentinel No. 18’s pilot.
But I thought only AI could operate Sentinel No. 18.
……

Yeah, uh, heh, about that…

I noticed you didn’t refer to me by number. You used my real name…
Well, you *did* say you were a human once.
So you… believe me?

You got awfully serious. What is it? ……
Let’s talk face to face. Raise the lift so no one else can disturb us.

Heh, “face to face,” I get it, because he’s… whatever.

Quite imposing. Anyway, what is it?

That’s the computer in the underground UFO, right?

Music: STAGNATION (Yoshimi Kudo)

Right. It turns out it was created in the year 2188.
That’s even further in the future than Ida and the others…
I’m positive that’s the era they come from. I spent a lot of time analyzing the mainframe’s data. That’s when I found a massive report on this so-called 2188. I’ve only managed to decode a portion of it so far. Once I’m done, we’ll find out what set this all into motion. Who knows? We might even find a way to save the world.
Really!?

The data on the mainframe has been quarantined. Someone made it inaccessible.
*shocked*
I’m positive Chihiro Morimura was the one who did it.
Morimura?
If I had to guess… there are some things she didn’t want us to find out.
I thought she came here to help save this world.
It definitely seemed that way… But as it turns out, she has ulterior motives.

I’ve tried everything. It’s impossible.
So there’s nothing we can do?
*frustrated sigh*

Impressive, sighing without lungs. Or air.

I’m going to let you in on something. Something even Tamao-san doesn’t know about. …There’s one more data log. The one I copied to my brain.

That’s right. But if Morimura finds it, I know she’ll erase it.
You think? She probably isn’t the only one who wants it erased.
That’s why I’m asking for your help. If this Sentinel suffers extensive damage… please recover the memory block at all costs. When that time comes, I’ll be counting on you.
…I won’t let you down.

What brought you here in the first place?
Oh… Well, I came to update your system. It won’t take long.

Yeah?

…… Miura… Of course we are…

Well, Miura is somehow Sentinel No. 17’s AI. That’s… quite a revelation. Wait a minute, I feel like there’s some other detail about Sentinel No. 17 we heard a long time ago… Oh, right. Wasn’t that the Sentinel BJ’s looking for? The one… he… piloted? …Oh. gently caress.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

After the previous update I wanted to go with something a little less mind-shattering for this next one, but I didn't realize I was gonna get this Miura scene, lmao

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That does get harder as the games goes on.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
A pill called NM...Natsuno Minami?? :tinfoil:

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Considering we've been fed a whole bunch of information about how Iori is definitely a younger Morimura, it feels really hosed up that Iori's crush (apparently) shoots her dead at the end of her personal timeline. Though that also doesn't explain her other apparent deaths like the annihilated future where she helps Shu escape to the past.

God, this game is a mindfuck.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Upon finding this scene, it took me an embarrassingly long time to connect the dots. There was a lot of other things kinda going on, but in hindsight, I was a bit stupid for not seeing it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 49: Destruction 5

Music: Voyage To Tomorrow (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

We’re about to head back out into the fray when we notice a problem. We need Yuki to be on the strike team to fulfill the bonus objectives, but unfortunately, she’s currently got Brain Overload.

So, instead we’re going to do our first instance of “grinding” in the LP, wherein we go back to an old wave and replay it to get some of our pilots off Brain Overload. In this case (and probably most other times), we’re just going to pick 1-1, because it’s easy enough that we can get away with only a few active pilots.

We won’t be showing that fight, though, because it’s incredibly easy and we’ve already seen it. Just skip to the aftermath!

This will be our team going forward.

Gouto unlocks Interceptors and upgrades them to +2, increasing the number of units by 1 and reducing the WT.

We get the Chip Multiplier Lv 3, increasing our chip multiplier to x1.4.

For Nenji, we upgrade Demolisher Blade to +4 and unlock his Hyper Condenser to increase the number of hits and range of Demolisher Blade. We also upgrade EMP Attractor to +2.

Yuki gets Leg Spike increased to +3.

Ryoko increases Sentry Gun to +4.

Finally, Iori increases Arm-Mounted Machine Cannons to +2 and Sentry Gun to +4.

Transform and roll out!

Video: Destruction Wave 1-8

Music: (LEUCINE) (Yoshimi Kudo)

But it’s like she said. Now we can fight without worrying about collateral damage.

They can also link up with the quadruped units. They form a kind of crane arm.

This time, the terminal’s in the dead center, and there’s already a thin smattering of enemies around the perimeter.

We start, of course, with some Sentry Guns.

Next, we have Gouto launch some Interceptors. These might not honestly be all that useful in this stage because they have low health and Workers attack pretty quickly, but most of the time they’re incredibly handy because they just fly out of attack range before they get destroyed.

The enemies are starting to drop. Let’s fire off a railgun in that general direction.

As you can see, the enemies are already closing in.

And look at that horde off to the left! Yikes!

(You should really check out the video for this one, if only because the frame rate absolutely dies trying to display all these Workers. I’m not even complaining, it honestly kind of adds something)

In an attempt to restore the standard framerate, we send Nenji directly into the thick of it with his new-and-improved Demolisher Blade.

A little stupid, perhaps, but he shreds the hell out of them. Worth noting that with his Hyper Condenser equipped, Demolisher Blade cuts in a 270-degree arc around him instead of 90 degrees in front of him. Very cool, and along with the upgrade to the number of hits this is the reason Nenji might honestly be the most powerful pilot in the game.

Of course, now he’s a sitting duck taking constant fire from the survivors. Less cool.

Unfortunately, another massive horde spawns near the terminal to replace the one we just shredded.

Dammit… These little punks piss me off…

In an attempt to buy ourselves some time, we have Natsuno use EMP Stunner to kill their movement for a short period.

Unfortunately, some Hi-Quads spawn in now and Nenji’s out of EP for more Demolisher Blades. We’re going to have to move Yuki in to help,

We launch a Guardian…

…then move Yuki over to Leg Spike the Hi-Quad (though you’ll notice in the actual video I gently caress up the targeting and hit the Twintail next to it instead, lmao).

Yuki and Nenji are in a bit of trouble here, so I use Gouto’s Shield Matrix to defend them.

And I place another Guardian to take care of the ones on the other side, too. Their ranks are thinning a bit by this point.

However, Gouto gets absolutely wrecked by some attack I didn’t spot in time, allowing us to see his critical HP message.

Apologies, Professor… but this game’s not over yet.

...And then Gouto immediately takes another attack to finish him off. Don’t worry, though, he’s not completely out of the fight.

Basically the same thing happens when you run out of HP as when you choose to “Repair” your Sentinel: you’re ejected for a time. He is still vulnerable, so we do need to be careful to keep him away from the action. He won’t be stepping back into the Sentinel for the rest of the fight, but only because we’re about to finish the enemy off.

We push the last Hi-Quad around with Heavy Knuckles and Tackle, then finish it off with one of Yuki’s Leg Spikes.

I used to talk about how I wanted to tear this whole city down. Never thought I’d actually end up destroying it in some big robot battle…
But you’re still fighting to protect it. There’s not much more we can do.
Yeah, who asked you? What the hell would you know about how I feel?
……

Who asked you!?

Yeah, I… Look, I’m sorry. All this poo poo’s just gettin’ to me.

Unfortunately, we only got an A rank for that wave due to all the damage Gouto took. I’ll have to go back and redo that one eventually. That was probably the first properly “hard” mission in the game, and I could have made it a lot easier by killing the massive Worker Horde with a Meta-Skill (remember those?) to clear them out, but I chose not to. Or just forgot. You decide the truth!

Ryoko’s new skill, Won’t Lose Again, isn’t very good. Her attack increases when the terminal’s HP gets much lower than you’re ever likely to see.

Iori’s To Protect Everyone is much better, though. More defense for Guardians and Sentry Guns is great.

Okay, now we need four members in the strike team, one of whom has to be Shu. All right. We don’t upgrade anyone here because… I forgot to, all right?

Video: Destruction Wave 1-9

Music: (LEUCINE) (Yoshimi Kudo)

But that requires a massive amount of energy. If you overuse it without any cooldown, you’ll find yourself out of power fast.

More Sentries, yadda yadda…

Ah, here we go. A proper horde. Multi-Lock Missile them to hell, Shu!

Eventually, two Terra Carriers will spawn.

We distract the Hunters they spawn with a Guardian.

We’re kind of limited in terms of fast ways of taking these things down, so it’s mostly up to Shu and his Multi-Lock Missile spam to wear away at their health.

With railgun assistance from Tomi, of course.

And that fight goes down without too much trouble.

Now they’re going for another terminal a ways off.

I’ll go find a motorcycle nearby and catch up.

Hey, don’t say it like that… I’m just borrowing it! Cut me some slack, man, it’s an emergency.

You’re dismounting too, Shinonome-senpai? Sure, let’s go.
Y-You’re gonna let her ride behind you?
Yeah? What’s wrong with that? *gasp* Don’t tell me you’re—
No, dumbass, I am NOT jealous! I got places to be.

Good, because after Ryoko inexplicably getting jealous over Shu already I can’t take another girl somehow falling for him.

Juro’s skill Movie Addiction increases his WT recovery when he’s deployed in consecutive battles. Rad.

Now, we’ve got 16 Mystery Points we haven’t been spending, so let’s go ahead and do that now.

It is extremely funny to me that they just put the Three Laws of Science Fiction in this game.

Please don’t creep on your school nurse.

And there’s that official confirmation of BJ’s… Miura-ness.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 8, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A Bystander posted:

Upon finding this scene, it took me an embarrassingly long time to connect the dots. There was a lot of other things kinda going on, but in hindsight, I was a bit stupid for not seeing it.

Oh, don't worry about the Miura thing, I only realized that that's what that scene meant when I checked BJ's Mystery File after viewing it. It's pretty hard to grasp in the moment.

Anyway, if any of you like the work enough I do to consider donating, I have a Patreon here that I've never bothered to link before. I've been posting higher-resolution versions of the conspiracy board there as free posts if anyone just wants to see those as well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 50: Ryoko Shinonome 3

Music: Just Because (Composer: Azusa Chiba, Arranger: Rikako Watanabe)

1985. I know what you’re going to say. I’m fine, all right?
I see…
I just forgot to take my pills, that’s all.

……

You should get some rest.
You don’t need to worry about me.

Use Gate on Ms. Morimura

I already know that. Just tell me when it’s fixed.

Something that happened in 2064…
……

My head… It hurts…

Ryoko’s head is pounding.

Use Pills on Ms. Morimura

The medicine is a bit strong… You may experience some temporary side effects. But don’t worry. Your memories will return quickly.

Consider Pills

That’s not happening.

Music: The Plot Thickens (Rikako Watanabe)

Going to run past Tomi and Miwako for now, because there’s some optional dialogue on the other end of the hallway I want to see first!

Ooh, it is.
Ugh, he’s so hot.
Student council elections are coming up…
He’s running for president, right?
Really? That’s amazing.
Smart and handsome…
Everything a girl could want.

Look at that girl with Gouto-senpai.
That’s Shinonome-senpai, right?
The one from the rumors?
Yeah, her. I guess she got hurt in some accident.
But why’s she with Gouto-senpai?
You don’t think she’s…
…His girlfriend?
What!? No way!

Ah, teenage gossip. How quaint.

My head… It hurts…

Consider Pills

Well, let’s talk to Megumi again.

Can I talk to you?

Do about what…?
You know, your… condition.

Ouch.

Back to Tomi, then.

My head… It hurts…

Consider Pills

We need to know why she told us to run away last time.

Use Run Away on Tomi Kisaragi

*looks back at Gouto quickly*

(whispering) Go on, ditch him!

And without any further prodding, Ryoko is loving gone. Seriously, she just takes off.

That doesn’t concern me. *sigh*

There’s something I wanted to ask you, actually. But… it doesn’t look like right now’s a good time. You really don’t look so good, you know. Your face is all red, too. Maybe you have a fever?

Uh, no… that’s… for a different reason.

*gasp* Just leave me alone.

Consider Pills

(I just took some.)

Ryoko’s head is pounding. There’s now a neat distortion effect applied to the visuals and even the music as Ryoko moves around.

Consider Strange Feeling

(I get it. This boy… he reminds me of him. His eyes… The way he acts… It’s just like Mr. Ida. Mr. Ida…)

Consider Mr. Ida

(I remember now. About Mr. Ida. When I was shifted to this era…)

Music: Between The Lines (Kikuchi Yukinori)

Yes, sir.

The uniformed cop leaves.

So, what does this “Detective Onishi” want with Ryoko, hm?

No matches in the registry, no prints on file. According to the written statement… Purports repeated falsehoods, possibly delusional… Psychiatric evaluation necessary.
So what? You’re gonna get rid of me by claiming I have a mental disorder?

How are you going to explain that?
We’re still investigating. How’d you get something that large into the city? You’d think someone would have seen it.

It’s a weapon. Created to fight kaiju.

Kaiju… The ones you said appeared in 2100? They’re mentioned in the statement as well.
*sigh* 2104.
What was that?
They first appeared in the year 2104.
……

What are you doing here?
I came from the year 2064. I’ve told you this already. I don’t know why. But when I woke up, I was here.
Your story is just too unbelievable.
*frustrated groan*

So, this is probably right after that scene we saw in Ryoko 1, where the Sentinels got forcibly shifted randomly.

Oh, hey, Ides. You’re looking hale and hearty, considering we thought you were dead when you stayed behind after shifting the Sentinels.

But all investigations regarding this case… Will cease immediately.

Music: Taking It Easy (Kazuki Higashihara)

You will throw out all statements and records and hand over this witness to us.
……

I’m so glad you’re safe.
I’m sorry for not coming to get you sooner.
Special Investigations… So it was true. An intelligence agency created from private contractors. But does it come with actual authority?

Please, look them over.

Therefore, it needs to be kept a secret within the police as well. Monitoring public safety also falls under our jurisdiction.
Hmph…

Yes, sir.

At least until the nurse comes back.

So I’m sure she’ll be back soon.

I was saved by Mr. Ida… Is he really alive? And Shu Amiguchi… Why do I remember when I look at him? This strange feeling… It makes me so anxious. I don’t even know what it means, I just… I feel like I’m forgetting something important.

Yep, the Sentinel Infection Incident is the scene we saw in Ryoko 1, so this recent scene is the aftermath of that one.

“I won’t bore you with the details of my miraculous escape…”

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
"His behavior is just like Mr. Ida."
...how?! One's a teen high on hormones and the other's colder than a dead fish. I get what the game's going for but it's really weird to go "Hmmm these 2 characters are oddly similar" when no such similarity seems to exist.
Is it literally just because they both helped her out of a bad situation?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

HGH posted:

"His behavior is just like Mr. Ida."
...how?! One's a teen high on hormones and the other's colder than a dead fish. I get what the game's going for but it's really weird to go "Hmmm these 2 characters are oddly similar" when no such similarity seems to exist.
Is it literally just because they both helped her out of a bad situation?

Presumably she's referring to the Ida she remembers from her subjective past (which is actually the future) who might not share all of the same history as the Ida in this flashback/scene (who might actually be three furbies in a suit)

Time travel requires being open-minded about absurd things and relaxing assumptions about causality, but at least we don't seem to have a bunch of Zaphod Beeblebroxes going around being their own grandfather(s). Yet.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I figure they share common mannerisms or physical traits that aren't conveyed well in their sprites. This is probably a bit like how children do resemble their parents even when their personalities don't behave anything alike.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 7, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 51: Shu Amiguchi 4

Time to jump back into this scumbag’s brain, I guess.

*yawn*

Music: Forty Winks (Rikako Watanabe)

All these weird dreams must be getting to me… And that show that came on in the middle of the night. Wish *that* was just a dream…

Consider Tomi Kisaragi

(In my dream… Her soul was in an android body. That’s gotta be the craziest feeling. What would it even be like? Not having a body of your own…?)

Consider Miyuki Inaba

(Miyuki Inaba’s been hijacking the airwaves. All so she can talk to me through the TV… She knows me, somehow… Not just that, she says I’m the only one she can depend on… …… I’m still waiting for the punchline here…)

What am I getting self-conscious for? It was just a dream. It’s got nothing to do with anything I actually feel. But… if I bump into her, things could get awkward fast. *sigh* What I really need now is a cold drink. Just gotta grab a drink, sit down, and chill out for a sec…

Well, let’s go grab that drink then.

:siren: YUKI DETECTED :siren:

Welp, time to go bother her!

No you weren’t, you loving liar! I’m inside your brain!

Destiny sure wants us to be together.
The hell are you talking about…?

Did you even expect this lame-rear end pickup line to work, dude?

Yuki takes a sip from her Hey-C.

You like Hey-C? I heard vitamin C helps keep you healthy.

Does anyone fall for this crap!?

I’m not drinkin’ it for my health, dumbass. Nat-chan used to drink it, that’s all. Gotta lay off the smokes anyway. So I need somethin’ else to focus on.

No.

……

Use Motorcycle Key on Yuki Takamiya

“Hey girl, I got this motorcycle…” God, what a dirtbag.

We could go somewhere right now?
No.

Weird that the story is taking a diversion for Shu’s futile attempts to get some, but I no longer have the capacity to be surprised by this game.

I know a place with a great view.

God, you’re pushy, man! She said no, dude!

A place from back in the day? Somewhere with good memories?
……

Or is there a reason you can’t go back?
Of course not. I just got to thinkin’… Reminded me of my grandma on my mom’s side. Haven’t seen her since my parents divorced.
You don’t say.

You set me up!

What?
Let’s go see your grandma!
What are you, nuts? She’s not even in the city. Her place is in Hamanashi, a whole prefecture over.
…!
That’s what I thought, dumbass. It’s too far.

That’s just about a hundred kilometers one way.
…?

Hey!

Music: The Plot Thickens (Rikako Watanabe)

After what I heard from the TV last night… I’ve gotta find out.

Let me tell you where you are.
…What do you mean? This is my house.
That’s not what I meant. Think bigger. I’m talking about everything you know.
…?
Everything in this city… Everything you’ve lived…

An enclosure? …… But we still get news from all over the world. You’re telling me we’re closed off? No, that’s too much. I don’t buy it.
That’s a reasonable reaction.

You should now be able to see the truth.
……
Go to the edge of the world. To the outer walls of the city itself…
……

Suddenly, the TV turns off. Shu walks up and turns it back on.

Huh? You say something?
You ever think anything through, Amiguchi?
Hey, I can get us back within two hours. Home before sundown, easy. Don’t worry about it. How about you tell me a little about your grandma?
……

Music: Now Or Never (Kazuki Higashihara)

Yeah?
Used to go to her place every summer. Walkin’ between the fields in the mornings to do radio gymnastics with everyone…
No kidding! I did the same thing in the countryside when I was a kid.
In the afternoons, grandma would give us some watermelon… We’d swim in the river, and catch fish with our bare hands. And we’d go catch cicadas off the old zelkova tree, up on the hill behind the house…

What?

And we’d go catch cicadas off it.
Oh yeah?
And the river, the watermelon…

What a weird coincidence!

This tunnel should end around the prefecture line, so…

Suddenly, Shu hits the brakes.

Yuki and Shu get off the motorcycle.

Music: Who D-Unit (Yoshimi Kudo)

*shock*

I can’t even see the end.

Where the hell are we?

Use Outer Walls on Yuki Takamiya

But what the hell *is* it? How do we get through?
I don’t know if there *is* a way through. What if… all our memories from outside town are fake? What if everyone’s been convinced that an “outside” even exists?
…No way.
I can’t believe it, either. How could I? It’d mean this 30-kilometer enclosure… this isolated city… is the only world we’ve ever known.

Well, I spoke too soon about this game not being able to surprise me anymore, clearly.

We haven’t updated our mysteries in a while, so we remove “BJ and Miura?”, “Magical Gun?”, and “What Are The Numbers On The Note?” before adding a new mystery pertaining to this baffling 30 kilometer enclosure.

We also add a “friend” connection between Hijiyama and Miura, and a “same person” connection between Miura and BJ.

And here’s the updated board.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Dark City! I guess they're not going to Shell Beach Grandma's house after all.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Qylvaran posted:

Dark City! I guess they're not going to Shell Beach Grandma's house after all.

This movie ruled and I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it before.

Also, this kinda explains a lot, I think? People have talked about Sentinels -and time travel from BJ and the portals- going between "sectors", not "time periods", so I wonder if there's actually any time travel going on at all, or if the different time periods are simply enclosed spaces representing different periods from history. After all, Miura was a big fan of the WW2 era, if he was one of the engineers of this place, maybe he made the 1945 sector(s?) as a pet project?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Sinner Sandwich posted:

This movie ruled and I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it before.

Also, this kinda explains a lot, I think? People have talked about Sentinels -and time travel from BJ and the portals- going between "sectors", not "time periods", so I wonder if there's actually any time travel going on at all, or if the different time periods are simply enclosed spaces representing different periods from history. After all, Miura was a big fan of the WW2 era, if he was one of the engineers of this place, maybe he made the 1945 sector(s?) as a pet project?

Yes! This was my thought too. Although if we've got older and younger versions of characters existing in the same time period, which I...think we do? There might be some actual time travel happening. Or robots. Or clones!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'd go light on Amiguchi's pushiness here, it makes sense. He really wanted someone else to double check any possible hallucinations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If you try to push through to a certain point in the battles, then you get told you're locked until you complete Shu's event 'Around the World in 30km'.

As I got closer and closer to doing it I realised what it was going to be and was very excited to see this bit of the story.

My strategy in terms of dividing story and battle time was always to do as much of the battles as possible until I hit a lock, and then go back to the story until I happened (without gunning for it) to clear the battle lock. It helped avoid a giant rush of battles at the end.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 52: Juro Kurabe 5

Music: In The Doldrums (Rikako Watanabe)

Let me guess. Amiguchi-kun’s not there? I think he’s at the break area.
Thanks for makin’ my life easier, man. Cool, let’s grab our stuff and head over.

Consider Megumi Yakushiji

(I tried asking her about that talk she had on the stairs… But she just dodged the question. She had a sad look on her face… ……)

Well, let’s grab the papers again so we can ditch Shiba.

Use Stack of Papers on Kyuta Shiba

I have to drop off these papers.
Again? Geez. Well, just meet me at the front gate when you’re done. In the meantime, I’ll go hunt down Amiguchi.

As we’re leaving, we (literally) bump into Iori.

And then in the hallway, we run into Megumi.

About what you said on the stairs the other day…

Megumi tries to avoid the question and walk past…

…but Juro doesn’t let her.

Use Izumi on Megumi Yakushiji

But I couldn’t help thinking about what you and Gouto-senpai said. This “Juro Izumi”… Is that me? I need to know.
……

*sad chuckle*

And with that, Megumi runs away.

I heard terrible things. So… I thought…

My name is Kurabe. Juro Kurabe.
……

I remember…

Use Izumi on Ryoko Shinonome

Juro Izumi.
……

Music: Cognitive Dissonance (Rikako Watanabe)

But right now… You’ve been given a different personality.
Given? By who?
The two of us lost our memories after a certain incident. We suffered serious mental trauma. Especially you… I heard that you had it worst of all. But… I’m not so well off either. My memories keep disappearing. I’m not sure if I’ll even remember this conversation…

It happened in the future. But you received medical treatment here… Back in the past.
The future? No way.
It’s true. And you’re Juro Izumi.

Honestly, it’s really hard for me to believe…
I don’t blame you.

Consider Juro Izumi

(So, let me get this straight… Juro Izumi came from the future. He lost his memories due to some incident… And the damage was so bad, he needed a whole new personality. That’s how he became… me. Juro Kurabe. It’s so hard to believe. But if it’s true… that would explain why I kept feeling like something was off.)

Consider Terrible Dream

(That dream was awful. I was going around killing students… I shot so many. Like Fuyusaka-san… and Yakushiji… If that was a real memory… Does that mean I actually did all that…?)

Well, after that heavy poo poo, we almost forgot the pretense we came here under: returning the loving papers for the eighteenth time!

I’m sure she’ll see them when she gets back.

Last time I was here, I saw those creepy documents about me.

Use Juro Izumi on Ms. Morimura’s Desk

They’re gone. Last time, she had documents on Juro Izumi here. I guess she put them away.

Ryoko has nothing further to say and will just stare at us until we leave, so let’s do that.

As we open the door, Shiba bursts through it!

Shiba-kun… What’s up?

I thought I’d come looking for you.

Let’s call it a day and go home.

You’re not getting away from me tomorrow!

All of that was a “Daily Life” segment. None of it was essential. Honestly, a little surprising. While there wasn’t anything too new there, you’d think Juro learning that information would be important.

Well, let’s jump back in. We have a real scene to see.

Music: In The Doldrums (Rikako Watanabe)

Pick up the papers…

Show them to Shiba…

The next step is waiting for Iori to arrive and say goodbye to Tomi and Miwako. Once she grabs her bag, Iori stops and stares at Juro for a second before she leaves.

We can actually talk to Iori during this window.

Well… Maybe not here. Let’s go out to the hall.

Well, um… You know that dream you were telling me about? The truth is…

What do you mean?

*gasp* You don’t… remember? You just mentioned it again last week. You know, the one about the shootout.
Shootout…?
Something about taking refuge in a harbor… But you ended up getting shot and captured. I was the only one who managed to escape…
Oh yeah… In order to prevent killer robots from being invented… A factory got blown up, right?
You remember now?
I didn’t know you were into action movies.

Haha, I almost forgot.
*sigh*

Of course I do! That movie is a masterpiece.
I’m not talking about a movie. This is something that actually happened… And it wasn’t just a dream, either.
……

It wasn’t…

Use Visitor from Another World on Iori Fuyusaka

There *is* a UFO. It’s beneath us.
…… No way. It’s just like the movie, isn’t it? We’re going to ride that UFO and fight off enemies…
No. That’s what the Sentinels are for.
Sentinels…?
Giant robots. They were created to defeat the kaiju.
……

Use Mighty Kaiju Deimos on Iori Fuyusaka

If the Deimos showed up in real life… I dunno, I think it’d be pretty awesome.

You’ll be seeing plenty of them soon.
…Huh?
Deimos is the general name for them… But there are many different types. Some as big as a truck… Some bigger than a whole building.
That series is really cool. It featured all kinds of different kaiju.

Juro, you fuckin’ nerd! This is real!

Use Visitor from Another World on Iori Fuyusaka

You should check out this drama series.
What’s it about?
It’s an episodic show where the story plays out in different ways each time. In this one, an alien seeks refuge on Earth. There’s a famous scene where he teleports onto a bridge. You’ve never seen it before?
That was a real event. It took place on Sumire Bridge in the year 2089.
Now that you mention it… that scene did look like it was shot at Sumire Bridge.
I was the only one there. You never made it, Kurabe-kun.

I was there. You and I were transmitted together.

Don’t you already know all this? You’re the one who told me about it… Remember when we were cleaning up the science room? You said you saw a shootout from the future in your dreams.
Cleaning up the science room…

Consider Science Room

(Now that I think about it…)

Be sure not to misplace it.

What a snob.

Then return the key to Ms. Morimura. Understood?
Yes.
Then if you’ll excuse me…
Sorry for the trouble.

Let’s get this over with. I’ll wash the equipment over there. Could you put the beakers back on the shelf?

Cleaning duty sucks rear end.
Shiba-kun… Stop complaining and get to work.
Did you say something? You were mumbling. Speak clearly, please.
Just… It’s Saturday. Kinda sucks to be doing cleaning duty.
Rules are rules. Just deal with it, okay?

Consider Renya Gouto

(Gouto-senpai is so mature. It’s hard to believe he’s just a high schooler like me.)

I’m getting to it.

Use Renya Gouto on Iori Fuyusaka

No wonder he’s so popular.

Well, let’s grab those beakers.

Beakers go in the big cabinet in the back.

All that’s left now is sweeping up.

What is it?

Is there something on my face?
Er… Sorry… I was just thinking about the woman from my dream last night. I think it was you, Fuyusaka-san.
Me? In your dream?
You were dressed in all black. Strong… Commanding… And honestly, pretty attractive.

What happened in it?

Come on, you can tell me.

Use Shootout Dream on Iori Fuyusaka

Music: Bittersweet Sorrow (Composer: Azusa Chiba, Arranger: Kikuchi Yukinori)

To prevent it, we had to go back in time… And blow up some sort of facility. But that got us in some trouble. Thanks to the bombing, the cops came after us. It came down to a shootout, and the two of us got separated.
Oh… So I was a criminal?
Well… Kind of. It was a just cause.
Uh-huh… Well, that does sound exciting. I’m curious to hear how it ends.
Oh yeah? I can keep going.

Show me.
It’s nothing.
I had a misstep too. I failed to kill one of the researchers.
The deed is done, though. The entire facility’s been destroyed. We did good. The interstellar development project was sent back to square one.
Do you think… we’ve changed the future?
Sure hope so. If not… then we’ll have killed all those innocents for nothing. I’d like to believe they haven’t died in vain.

Suddenly, light fills the hideout.

They’re onto us. I’ll handle this. You go on ahead.
This wasn’t part of the plan.
I can barely walk.
So what, you want me to abandon you here?
…You just need to make it through today. Remember?

Suddenly, the boat begins firing on their position.

The next plot block for Juro here is fairly demanding, but it’s still one we’ve already met.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I'm wondering if, due to time shenanigans, much of the media in 1985 is based on actual events. It also feels like 1985 is the "safe" location in all of this, used for recruitment, retirement, and escape.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I never thought I could describe the cast of a game as "mostly brain damaged" and actually have it apply literally as well. Like wow do some of these kids need extreme medical help.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Maigius posted:

I'm wondering if, due to time shenanigans, much of the media in 1985 is based on actual events. It also feels like 1985 is the "safe" location in all of this, used for recruitment, retirement, and escape.

I'm half expecting one of the protagonists becomes a movie director in the future as a way to send messages to themselves and their friends in the past.

But only half expecting because I'm several hundred thousand IQ below what is needed to truly predict where this story is going.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
The whole time I played this game it always confused me that Ida looks more like Gouto than Amiguchi

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 53: Iori Fuyusaka 4

Music: Bright Days Ahead (Azusa Chiba)

So, this scene is going to be incredibly annoying for me to transcribe because of the way it’s structured. Basically, Miwako and Tomi have a running conversation that Iori can interject into at certain points. After that plays out, the conversation will return to where it left off. I will note when this happens so you can hopefully follow it.

Also, because the conversation starts immediately, there’s no good opportunity to check out the thought we received at the end of the last Iori chapter. I’ll just do that right now:

Consider Buried UFO

(A giant UFO buried underground… Was it a premoniton? That’s crazy. Maybe Nat-chan’s getting to my head. Once she starts talking about UFOs, you’ll never hear the end of it. Gotta love her, though.)

And here's the rest of that conversation:

Pop quizzes suck.
Was your grade that bad, Usami-chan?
At my old school… We never had class on Saturdays.

Here, we can talk to Tomi.

Hm? What’s up, Iori?

Those formulas put me right to sleep.
So you got an F?
N-No! …It was close, though.
Don’t worry, Iori-chan. You’re good in other subjects.

And from here, we return to the old conversation… somewhat disjointedly, I might add. Just as a reminder, this line is in reference to Tomi talking about her old school not having class on Saturdays.

Really? That sounds wonderful.
Your grade wasn’t so hot either, Miwako.

I was going to study last night, but then I turned on the TV…

Here, we can talk to Miwako to interrupt the conversation again.

Yes?

What were you watching?
A special on Halley’s comet. It’s coming next year.
Oh, I wanted to see that too!

A once-in-a-lifetime encounter… It feels so romantic.
Aaand that’s how you blew off your studies.

Return to the old conversation…

This school gives way too many tests. I thought it’d be easier here, not harder.
What school did you go to? It sounds quite different from ours.
Actually, it’s uhh… Y’know. Pretty similar.

It’s true!

Their hot dogs are SO. GOOD.
If we’re talking about meat… I could really go for some nikuman.
Oh yeah? Let’s get both!
Hehe…

Now, talk to Tomi. If we don’t, the conversation chain will loop from the beginning.

Me?

Gotta be hot dogs, right? They make ‘em fresh each day. Warm sausage wrapped in a slightly sweet bun…
Nikuman are amazing! Mmm… Every bite is a perfect balance of fluffy bun and juicy meat.

Choose Nikuman

Perfect time for nikuman!

It doesn’t actually matter what we pick here for reasons we’ll see shortly.

Eh, all right.

And so warm.
Time to taste-test!
*takes a bite* *squeals*

Feels great to bite into.
Good idea for a date. Just buy two of these… Stuff ‘em in your shirt, and bam! Instant Morimura.

:laffo:

*blushing* ……
Give it some thought!
You’d burn yourself.

Really great delivery on this Miwako line by Xanthe Huynh. A+ work.

Speaking of TV shows… I saw a real weird one the other night. It was from the Explorers series. What is that?

Talk to Tomi…

Hm? What’s up, Iori?

It’s a popular segment on Weird Wednesdays. Last week it was—
(dramatically) Terrible Tales of the Massive Mummy! The Amazon’s Underground Secret! I think that was the name.
*giggling* Yeah, something like that.
The mummy was so fake. Who believes that stuff? Wait, why do *you* know so much about it? Do you watch that show?
More like Nat-chan wouldn’t stop talking about it…
Ohhh.

And return to the conversation…

Oh, that one.
I watched the whole drat thing… But it left me with more questions than answers.
Yeah, it’s always like that.
So you know it?
The boys in class were talking about it. I usually watch the music show in that timeslot.

Talk to Miwako…

Yes?

Well…. Lately, I’ve been getting into idols.
Oh yeah, the one who looks like Amiguchi-kun?
Yes! And also… There’s a female idol I like a lot too. She’s so cute, and has a wonderful voice.
Oh, is she that really popular one?
Yes! She’s coming out with a record soon. Maybe I’ll buy it!

No points for guessing whoever that could possibly be.

Dang. You’re really into idols, huh?
You might like her too, Usami-chan.

Return to the conversation…

Old times? Really? These days, music is trending more towards pop. I think it’s pretty different from before.
Huh? Oh, right.
Are you pretty into music, Usami-chan?
Kinda. I’m more about singing than listening.
Wow! You can sing? What kinds of songs? I’m curious now.
Well, uh… It’s kinda hard to explain.
Is it foreign music?
Not exactly…
I don’t get it.
I can’t just say it doesn’t exist yet.
Huh?
Er, nothing! Don’t worry about it!
(hurt) Why are you being like this?
Sorry, Miwako.

From here, the conversation goes in an interesting direction, by which I mean…

The best cure for the blues is good eats!
It’s true!

…it just repeats the food topic. Yeah, Tomi was serious when she suggested getting both nikuman and hot dogs!

Though this time we can talk to Miwako and get this line, the conversation is otherwise identical and I won’t bother transcribing it again.

Choose Hot Dogs

If you chose Hot Dogs before, it would have lead to the exact same new conversation, except now you probably want to choose Nikuman here. I suppose you could theoretically choose the same option twice and probably still progress the story, but there’s no reason to do that. In fact, if you skip getting one of these food items, you miss out on an ever-important PS4 trophy for eating them all.

Let’s eat hot dogs!
Yesss!

Right?
Let’s eat before it gets cold.
Yeah.

It’s chili sauce! Yum…

Gotta be mature to handle this stuff.
Usami-chan… You’ve got chili sauce all over your mouth.

Tomi quickly turns around to take care of it.

*yawn*
You look sleepy again. Are you doing okay?
I’m fine.
Something happen?
I told you, remember? Iori-chan collapsed in the science room.

I took her to the nurse’s office.
Oh yeah, you did tell me that.
I couldn’t believe it…
Yeah. Thanks for coming with me.
Gouto-senpai really saved the day…

I could hardly believe my eyes…
*That’s* the shocking part?

After this, the conversation starts from square one back at Tomi complaining about pop quizzes. But that’s irrelevant, because we’ve gained the thought needed to get out of this scene!

Consider Science Room

(Ever since that day… I can’t stop thinking about… him. Was it all just a dream?)

Music: Halcyon Days (Yoshimi Kudo)

Something wrong?
The door won’t open.

None of these seem to open the storage room.
Well, that’s a problem. What do we do with all the equipment?
I guess just leave it.
We can’t do that… Well… I guess I’ll get the key from the teacher’s lounge. You can go back to class, Kurabe-kun. I’ll take care of the rest.
Sorry about that.

Good job today.

But she talks like she’s my older sister.

This building is so old. And so… quiet… It’s kind of creepy.

Use Storage Key on Storage Room

Now I can put stuff away.

Music: Sneaking Suspicions (Kikuchi Yukinori)

Kurabe-kun?

You’re trying to surprise me, right?

No one’s here…

Music: The Sector Theorem (Kazuki Higashihara)

I’m so glad you’re okay, Iori-chan.
Miwa-chan…
You were lying on the floor…
Completely unconscious. How do you feel?
Are you all right?

…Huh?

Music: Fancy Some Tea? (Composer: Azusa Chiba, Arranger: Yoshimi Kudo)

Um… I’m okay.

Gouto-senpai found you. He carried you all the way here.

Were you there too, Senpai?
I don’t know what you’re talking about. You had collapsed in the science room.
Huh!? The science room…?

Did you see any… weird flashing screens? Anything like that?
…No. There was nothing of the sort.

That’s all it was, I’m sure.
A dream…?

I saw it. The burning city from my dreams.
Another nightmare?
No. I was actually there.

It was just another dream.
A dream…? ……

There’s no way. It was real!

He was there… At the burning city…
Iori-chan…

It’s destroyed as far as the eye can see. Just like the place I saw in my dreams.

I see someone…

Oh! You’re—

Music: Cognitive Dissonance (Rikako Watanabe)

This is their first encounter, right? Gun to the face isn’t exactly a meet cute! …Though, if we only count scenes after Ei fully loses his memory, then their first actual meeting is the scene where she literally runs into him and accidentally—yeah, you know what? Let’s drop this line of inquiry.

Huh? Is that… a gun?
Who are you?

I know that much.
Huh? How do you—
Who ordered you to come here?
Ordered? I just saw a flash in the science room… And the next thing I new I was here. Wherever this is…
You really don’t know?

In the year 2065.

She must be one of the fifteen. And that’s not all. She *unlocked* the gate. A locked gate can only be opened with Morimura’s ID. It’s as I suspected… Iori Fuyusaka is the real Chihiro Morimura.

…Okay, let’s pause for a moment, because I’m putting some things together. Not Iori being Morimura, the ship has looooong sailed on that one. But remember Ryoko’s story? How they couldn’t follow Ei-slash-426 because the gate was locked? That must be what Ei is referring to. Iori managed to unlock the gate and follow Ei because she’s Morimura! But then… why didn’t Morimura just unlock it? Hmm… I dunno if this is all that important, but it’s an interesting connection anyway.

……

Music: IMMINENT (Yoshimi Kudo)

From the kaiju movies?
Not a bad comparison. But this one’s a machine.

Hellbent on destroying the world… Before long… They’ll take over our very own town…

D-Don’t get the wrong idea… I saw it in a dream.

That monster was wrecking the city… And it was coming for me. I ran for my life… There were other dreams, too. People talking about monsters.

My dreams have been so strange lately. So I’ve been thinking… Maybe they’re premonitions.
What are your other dreams like?

Consider Monster Dreams

(That’s right… We lost the fight and ran away. A monster was chasing us… And the person with me was… …… Gouto-senpai… When did I get so obsessed with boys? They keep showing up in my dreams…)

Use Buried UFO

I wound up underground inside a big UFO. In another one, I escaped to the past all by myself… Were those… all real?
…Morimura told me the same stories. Dreams, huh.

…?

Ei shoots the drone as it flies away. It can be heard smashing to the ground from offscreen.

Huh? Um, okay!

The screen zooms into the Sentinel’s “face,” and for a second everything is white…

Yes. It had been taken over by the Deimos.
I suppose it’s risky to send units out autonomously. I’ll restore manual control to No. 8. Go ahead and shut it down for now.
By the way, we had a surprise visitor. Ei Sekigahara.
He’s in this sector?
Unfortunately, he got away. And not only that…

She’s a student from Sector 4.
…!
Could he have brought her here? She looks familiar. Same class as Kisaragi, I believe.
In any case… Bring her back.

“Iori Who Lept Through Time”. Heh, cute.

And Gouto is unlocked, loving finally. Honestly, given that he’s mostly acted as a semi-antagonist in the few scenes he’s appeared in, it’s gonna be interesting to see just what his story *is*.

Not much new information there.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 9, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Still waiting from them to do a flashback in a flashback.
Or are as deep as a flashback in a flashback in a flashback?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 54: Renya Gouto 1

Well, let’s finally see what the deal is with Gouto.

Music: Time Drain (Rikako Watanabe)

Morimura enters the room.

I believe I told you using the gate is prohibited.

Is history one of your better subjects?
……
I have some theories, myself. I’d like to know if they’re accurate. For example… the true location of the lost nation of Yamataikoku.

I didn’t know what this was either. It’s apparently in reference to an ancient country in Wa (the oldest name for Japan) circa 1000 BC to 300 CE. According to Wikipedia, scholars have debated its location for generations. Now, back to 13 Sentinels!

And the truth behind the Honnoji Incident—how Oda Nobunaga really died.

And this is just the time Oda Nobunaga got betrayed by Akechi Mitsuhide, his general, for unknown reasons, as famously depicted in Nioh 2.

Unfortunately, my paper in middle school was bound to the failures of our historians. In theory, I could update it into a full report.
……
…In theory, at least. A shame that the gates are locked to specific points in time.
…What are you really working towards?

That implies an understanding of what IS “like me.” Or at least… that you believe you understand me.
That’s… not the point. You need to stop using the gate. I’m going to seal this place off.

*chuckle*

I don’t know what you’re—
Wait.

But it does present certain advantages. Digitized data can be altered, fabricated, falsified… No intelligent person should trust it. But you already know that, don’t you?
……

I hardly think you’re in a position to talk. If anyone’s changed, it’s you. I can only wonder why.
What are you…
Ms. Morimura…

Well, the surface is a total loss. The automated factories are all running at full capacity.
They’re mass-producing kaiju.

The technology itself isn’t so different from 40 years ago. The real surprise was finding that it’s all been integrated into one unified system.
…You sure don’t seem like someone from your time.

It’s here that I take a couple steps around the room and confirm something from back in Ryoko’s prologue: Gouto does not, in fact, have a running animation. This powerwalk’s the best he’s got.

Okay, back to plot.

About like we expected.
Naturally.
All the nuclear plants are stable. Seems like it’s the same for other countries, too.
Defensive measures. They want to ensure nothing interrupts production.

Use Automated Factory on Tsukasa Okino

It’s more about how they got totally automated. That was back in 2080. They started functioning as part of a network instead of individual units.
A worldwide network comprising 1.2 billion factories. All fully integrated and synchronized. Based on a client’s request, the computer designs a blueprint. From there on, everything is fully automated. Assembly, production, even cost-effective ordering of parts. The human element was no longer necessary for those processes.
So it’s a manufactory that can mass-produce anything, on a global scale.

Consider Automated Factory

(They all function as part of a unified global manufacturing network. By its protocols, all 1.2 billion factories worldwide remain in automatic, perpetual production. And their sole output are these mechanized kaiju, which we know as the D-forces.)

I keep saying that and I keep being utterly wrong, so maybe just shut the gently caress up, Gouto.

Use Automated Factory on Chihiro Morimura

Since they’re the largest plants of this era, and all.
Their production rate has doubled over the last three days.
Just like last time. The timing matches up, too.
Not long now. They’ll make their move soon.

Regarding my home time. That is, the year 2064. You’re certain we’ll face a similar attack?
We don’t have long until they appear in 2064. That much we know. It’ll be just like last time.
No, not quite. This time, we have the Sentinels.
True.

Loosely speaking.
We managed a partial data dump from the underground mainframe. Gouto-kun?
It’s an archived news report. Concerning a certain scandal… More important, though, is its date of recording.
When’s the data from?
The year 2188. In other words, far in the future—Even moreso than our current temporal position, 2104.
Let’s see it.

A newscaster appears on a holographic display.

Before dawn on the 20th, eight Newmen, Inc. executives were taken into police custody. Charged with human trafficking and illegal cloning, their established motive was to tamper with human memories. Authorities consider this an organized effort and are pursuing further charges. Mind-hacking crimes have been on the rise in recent years. By exploiting nanomachines such as innerlocitors, malefactors can overwrite stored memory information in cerebral synapses. This technique has recently been used to enable other associated offenses. These arrests come after a string of similar cases, including culprits criminally downloading memories onto another body. Evidence suggests these are attempts at a kind of technological reincarnation, and we’ve already seen more than 460 arrests connected to this practice.

The display disappears.

Consider Future Scandal

(A log concerning the scandal involving Newmen, Inc. The report is dated 2188. Some of their executives were taken into police custody. The crime in question was apparently attempting to use nanotechnology to, in theory, take over physical bodies.)

I didn’t even know it was possible to download memories…
The crime apparently occurred in June of 2188.
…Ida-kun…
That’s not all. Let him finish.
Regarding this Newmen… I found one more log that could be relevant. This report is from March, about 3 months prior to the other log.

The newscaster appears once more.

Newmen, Inc., the tech giant known for innerlocitors, has been acquired by Shikishima through a takeover bid.

Shikishima, eh?

Shikishima’s CEO had this to say:

Now, even the human body can operate with all the power of a supercomputer. Innerlocitors have paved the way for humanity’s next step in evolution.

By the way, if the word “innerlocitor” sounds familiar, it’s because the writer stole it from the movie This Island Earth! Yes, that movie that got riffed in the MST3K film!

For any one of us, all it takes is a thought… and we can have the world itself at our fingertips. With the brilliant minds at Newmen driving our nanotech business, we look forward to a brighter future for Shikishima, and all our affiliates.

The CEO disappears.

With this acquisition, Shikishima now sits among the top 3 in global market share of innerlocitors.

Consider Future Merger

(Three months prior to the Newmen, Inc. incident… Newmen was acquired by the conglomerate, Shikishima. With these “innerlocitors”… apparently some kind of nanomachine information technology… They’ve become one of the world’s top megacorps.)

You think that’s the nanomachines inside our own bodies?
Most likely.

At least we know we weren’t wrong. This all began in the future after all. Still, 2188…

It’s a shame, but… I don’t think we can verify this ourselves.
……
I think we should drop this lead for now. Better to focus on protecting Gouto-kun’s hometown instead.
Maybe so. We’re almost out of time, so we’ll need to move quickly. Best to return to the school in the year 2064. We’ll need the cooperation of the other two compatibles.
Gouto-kun, we should focus on putting the Sentinels through the combat sims. I hope you can join me.
…Sure.

I’m sorry we’ve had to remain here the past few days.
Not much we can do if it’s an emergency.

Does it bother you? Considering the age you appear, well… It struck me as the most inconspicuous choice.
Ugh…

Gouto walks away, but turns around when Chihiro does not follow.

You should probably just call me Chihiro. Otherwise we’ll seem suspicious in public.
Okay, Chihiro… san.
Better drop the “san” too.

A certain datalog helped. I found records that your mind had been transferred… into the young child standing before me.
……

I ran an experiment to see if I could restore my compatibility.

That’s why I sealed my memories.

Use Compatibility on Chihiro

That’d be the ability to control the gate, and the Sentinels?
You need compatibility to control the mainframe. I was once compatible myself. But after everything got rewound, I lost that power.

“Rewound”? That sounds somehow different from the normal time travel nonsense…

Maybe it’s hard for you to see how crucial that ability is. But you’ll understand soon enough.

Consider Compatibility

(This refers to the humans who can control the UFO’s mainframe. Those compatible have nanomachines implanted in their bodies.)

She’s acting like a completely different person. My theory is that someone’s taken control of her.
You’re saying she got mind-hacked?
…She’s clearly behaving very differently, at least. It seems like she’s working against the Sentinel Project. It’s like she’s been influenced by 426. Or the man herself may just be wearing her face.
That certainly explains why you woke me up. …… Not much to go on, though. Either way, we’ll have to do some more investigation. I can see it’s been quite a while since my memories were sealed. Five whole years… And now four sectors have gone dark. Talk about a rude awakening. First, you’d better catch me up on major developments in the last five years…
Easy enough. Hardly comfortable surroundings for a briefing, though… I’ll explain over in 1985.

Music: The Tower of Knowledge (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

Now, with Ms. Morimura’s ID… I should be able to get into her logs.

One of the logs she left behind…

Well, guess there’s no point putting a date to these logs. We’ve probably got four years left until the invasion begins. I ran an experiment on my clone. I wanted to see if I could make her more compatible. I had more than enough data stored in Sector 0. She would’ve had all my memories. However, I could not establish compatibility in the clone. …No more than I could in myself. Maybe… there really is no way we can survive this. …… Not even Ida-kun knows about this experiment. I’ve kept this attempt secret from everyone. The memories I implanted in the clone have been sealed. I left her in 1940, under the Miura family’s care. She’ll be able to grow up as her own person. Someone separate from me… Until they invade, at least.

The log ends.

Consider Experiment Log

(That methodology sounds familiar. Was she basing this project off of those memory-overwriting crime reports? All in an effort to achieve compatibility…? So compatibility isn’t just a matter of differences in the nanomachines.)

This file looks like the last thing recorded…

The remaining Sentinels are infected. No good to us. …We’re running out of options. We’ll have to resort to Operation Aegis… If we go that route… we’ll be risking the future of humanity itself. How do I make the call on a decision like that…? But… I don’t know how else he and I can survive this. This is my only chance.

The log ends.

Consider Final Log

(The final log that Chihiro Morimura left on the UFO. She speaks at length on Operation Aegis. Her goal is that “he” and she would ultimately survive… Even at the cost of humanity’s future. …The question is, who is “he”?)

Consider Operation Aegis

(Ever since the battle that ended with the Sentinels infected… Ms. Morimura has been pushing this operation as one of its fiercest supporters.)

That’s… puzzling. There’s a log registered under my name. As far as I know, I’ve never recorded anything like this…

Well, this should be good.

And I am immediately proven right!

Did you confirm receipt of payment? *pause* Then I’m sure you can see to the details. Am I clear? I want her dead. Any means necessary. Execute her. And stop the project. *pause* …That’s not my problem. It’s in your hands now. Do you realize what’ll happen if her project gets approved? It could ruin everything we’ve worked for. …You know what must be done.

The log ends.

Was that really me?

I dunno. You seem to be pretty smart, and that guy was absolutely a grade-A dumbass. He started a private correspondence with his hired assassin by introducing himself by name! And it was apparently recorded! What an idiot!

That man was a Shikishima executive from the year 2188. Is that supposed to be my future? …… …Seems like a private communications log. The other person on the line wasn’t recorded. But it’s clear enough what they’re talking about. That was an assassination order on Chihiro Morimura.

Wait, what the gently caress!? Everyone else at 80% required to see the next Gouto scene? That’s absurd! Looks like we won’t be progressing this one for quite a while…

Renya Gouto is voiced by Ben Lepley, who I’ve… never actually heard of! Weird! The only roles really worth mentioning of his are Dedue from Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and apparently Professor Mirror in New Pokémon Snap. Oh, and Illuso from JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, a character I struggled to place even with a picture. Ogasawara from Yakuza: Like A Dragon? Who was that again? Lepley’s pretty new on the scene, is what I’m saying.

We add three new items to the 2188 segment of the board: Gouto being the CEO of Shikishima, Gouto putting a hit out on Morimura, and “Nanomachines!!!”

We also add a bunch to the right side of the board, starting with Chihiro as a character, who is linked to Miura, Gouto, and herself as Ms. Morimura. We also link Gouto to Ryoko, as he seems to be watching over her. One of these days I’ll redo Yuki’s board image with the correct font, but not today!

And here’s the whole thing.

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 27, 2021

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Gouto's bit is rather revealing, and I guess the 80% requirement means he ends up being a clarifying/unifying storybeat so they don't want to give it away too soon.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
So, I guess the person that Ei is talking to on the phone, who presumably sent him to assassinate Chihiro in the 80s, was old man Gouto?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lmao, just realized I hosed up and didn't properly embed Gouto's full image at the end, fixed that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just a note: I decided to stop updating the recap in the second post every single new chapter so I'm not spamming the testposter, but I did just update it with the last six or so.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 55: Takatoshi Hijiyama 3

Time to jump back into Hijiyama’s shoes. Hopefully Okino’s done rooting around in his gourd.

*yawn*

And it looks like he’s left me behind again. When does he even sleep?

Consider Tsukasa Okino

(Forcing his way into someone’s head and messing around!? He’s unhinged!)

I should arrive there around noon. I need to save up. Even a small reserve would be enough…

Music: LONER (Azusa Chiba)

I just need to slip in the old staff entrance. Seems like nobody will spot me. Now… Where is Okino?

Ah, there he is.

Music: Heated Debate (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

*blushing* (Why do I… feel like this?)

Ah, just a stray cat, that’s all. I just gave it a little food. Now it shows up here all the time, so… I ended up bringing food for it every day.
I suppose I can relate. You used food to toy with the both of us.

What, still upset about the whole grievous-invasion-of-privacy thing? C’mon, what’s a little rooting around in your brain without consent between… whatever you two are?

I didn’t ask you to do that.
I’d better get going.

…… Oh, right. You sticking around until Shintaro’s done eating? Mind tossing the empty can for me?
Shintaro?
That’s his name, yeah.

No it’s not! He already has a name! And don’t feed him, it’ll go right to his head! Or his thighs, really, but you know what I mean!

Music: LONER (Azusa Chiba)

There’s something under the can…

*gasp*

Are you still trying to look after me…?

She’s one of the teachers at this school…

I’m sorry, what?

Then again, I was a mess when she saw me last… Wait. If she’s a student here, then… That means it must be sold here at the school…! This is where I can find that yakisoba pan…

Which one’s your type?
Man, if you’re making me choose… Ponytail girl, maybe?
Yeah? I’m all about that one with the long hair. …Well… The short-haired girl’s cute too…
Final answer?

Those baseball guys are staring at us.
You’re right… You know them?
Oh, no. Definitely not.
I think I heard something like, “who’s your type?”
Ugh, seriously? Barf.
That’s the worst…

Ha.

They only have one left, dude. You’re getting what you’re getting.

Consider Yakisoba Pan

So hungry… I’ve got no strength left… I can’t go on like this. I’ll starve to death…

Maybe on the main street, I could find some scraps in the garbage… …… What am I thinking!? I am an imperial soldier! The pride of the Empire! I can’t dig through trash like some animal! I’d be better off dead…

Still… I’ll never find a paying job in this state…

I shouldn’t have let the heat get to me. Taking that bath in the river was my biggest mistake… That cold left me out of commission for a while. And now it’s been three days since my food ran out…

*wince* I couldn’t even find Kiriko-san in the end.

That’s right, Megumi. Just don’t make eye contact with the disheveled, ranting homeless man.

…!

*blushing* Uh… haha…
I know…

What’s this…?
I bought too much of this at lunch… It’s yakisoba pan.
*stomach growls*

I can have this?
If you’d like.
I… I suppose I’ll take you up on that.

Megumi walks away, confident in having just done a good deed, blissfully unaware she’s set this man down the hard road of yakisoba pan addiction…

Hijiyama takes a bite…

Music: Living in the Moment (Yoshimi Kudo)

Impossibly good…! It’s delicious! How could anything so delicious exist in this world? *immediately snarfs down the rest*

I practically inhaled that whole piece.

I never even got to thank her.

Well, uh… sure, that explains that, I guess…

I can eat in peace here. Still, I can’t believe I got the last one… I suppose it’s good karma for my model behavior…

You punched a guy out, kidnapped him, and trapped him in a “time loop” like, yesterday! What the gently caress are you talking about!?

Did you go buy that yourself?
Okino…

Wow, I can feel the disappointment from here. Want me to get back into the skirt?
I don’t care.
It’s just that the skirt’s kind of breezy. I don’t have much on underneath it. Makes me feel pretty exposed, you know?

Just think of what could happen.

Okino, can you stop trying to gently caress with Takatoshi here for like, five seconds?

(mildly flustered) Stop that. You’re… clearly enjoying this, no matter what you say. And you don’t have to be so… lewd about it.

Once the afternoon classes are over, we’ll head back. You stick around here until then.

Consider Yakisoba Pan

(Time to finally enjoy my…)

Use Yakisoba Pan on Tsukasa Okino

Wha—Oh, no, I’m fine! I’m not even hungry. Isn’t that your favorite food, anyway? You enjoy it.
Well… if you’re sure…
You really are a nice guy, Hijiyama-kun.

Eat Yakisoba Pan

Fantastic! This is it!

Okino has no reaction to hearing about the Yakisoba Pan Angel.

If I ever see her again, I need to thank her personally…

No, wait… I did meet her. But when?

Of course.
Is it possible he really doesn’t know anything?
There’s still residual data in there from the switch. If I can figure out who’s sending out the signal, then… Maybe I can stop it, or even control it.

The convenience store near the station. You haven’t eaten since noon, right? I’ll go get us some snacks. Help change things up. Any requests?
(instantly) Yakisoba pan.
So much for changing things up. Haven’t you tried anything else from this time?

Wow. Can’t argue with that logic…

Who’s there!?

What is she doing out so late? More importantly, what’s she doing here?

……

Megumi begins looking around.

Consider Yakisoba Pan

We sure are Considering yakisoba pan a lot today!

…Huh. Wonder what that was all about. We have a lot of Hijiyama left though, so maybe it’ll get cleared up soo—

Oh come on!

We add two links between Hijiyama and Megumi. One orange for her gift of yakisoba pan, and one blue because she shot him in the chest. Simple enough.

And the current board.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Megumi is by far the most underrated character in this game. Unironically one of my favorites.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Ace Transmuter posted:

Megumi is by far the most underrated character in this game. Unironically one of my favorites.

She definitely is incredibly important. She's involved in a lot of poo poo and is the instigator of a lot of plot points. It's just that whenever we can play as her and hear her inner monologs she's absolutely unbearable.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

She definitely is incredibly important. She's involved in a lot of poo poo and is the instigator of a lot of plot points. It's just that whenever we can play as her and hear her inner monologs she's absolutely unbearable.

Disagree. I know a lot of people hate her but I find her incredibly sympathetic.

Her exchanges with Fluffy are also very hilarious

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Given this game's curveballs I might end up hating Megumi by the end but right now I mostly pity her self-delusion born out of grief, honestly.

Speaking of delusions, Hijiyama's a funny guy. Looking forward to seeing him call Megumi a Yakisoba Pan Angel to her face when we reach 80% in like fifty updates or so.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 56: Tomi Kisaragi 4

Music: Just Because (Composer: Azusa Chiba, Arranger: Rikako Watanabe)

Thanks. Did Senpai wake up?
*shakes head*

When all this happened… We were at school, right? Maybe we should try going there.
Y’think that’ll help?
Well, you know… That’s where we timeslipped from.
……
Maybe we can find a clue on how to get back. Anything…

From here, we can move to the left to examine Ryoko again or go talk to Nenji. If we do the latter…

Found ‘em at a convenience store over there.

…we receive more chocolate!

I’m not a big candy guy, so have at it.

Liar! Both this and the Ryoko conversation are completely identical to last time, so we’ll skip going over the rest of it. Let’s just skip to Miwako asking “So how was it?”

Use My Apartment on Miwako Sawatari

The whole building was destroyed.
Oh no…
And, well… No one was there.
I’m sure they’re out there somewhere… Hiding, maybe?
……

I wonder what else we can find.

Use Sakura High School on Miwako Sawatari

You might be onto something, Miwako. The school. Morimura was always there. So I’m thinking… Maybe there’s a time machine there.
Morimura? You mean our teacher?
Oh yeah. That nurse with the big knockers.

Nenji, please. That’s impolite. The nurse with the big breasts.

She’s from the future too.

Nenji and Miwako are appropriately shocked by this news.

In fact, she came even farther than me.
You gotta be kiddin’ me.

Use My Apartment on Nenji Ogata

But before we head to the school, let’s check out Tomi’s apartment again!

Hey, wait! You stay here, Miwako.

Is that thing with the kaiju?

That glimpse of a scout unit that may or may not be BJ is literally the only thing I wanted to show you here! Back to the hub!

From here, we have to go back through all the preamble dialogue again, so I skipped to the choice.

Use Sakura High School on Nenji Ogata

What about that second-year? We just gonna leave her here?
…Oh yeah.
I’ll stay here with Senpai. You two go on ahead.
‘Ppreciate it.
We’ll come back as soon as we can.

Rough roads over here.

It took a while to get here with that blocked-off road. *Some* of us have our eye on the time.

Music: The Chills (Yoshimi Kudo)

A Sentinel…

Another kaiju thing?
No. This is… Sentinel No. 13.

We got kaiju-fightin’ robots now? The future’s wild, man. But I guess in the end… It lost, huh.
……

Look.

Even if we tried to climb down, the other side’s no better. Guess we gotta turn back and take the long way around.
Let’s do it soon. I’m worried about Miwako.

Consider Sentinel No. 13

(The last time I saw this thing… It was right before I got taken away.)

Music: IMMINENT (Yoshimi Kudo)

This shot is mostly too dark to make out, but uh, trust me, in motion it’s clear there’s a girl running into frame. Darn fade-in.

Please don’t trouble me any further. Come. We must evacuate.
Just gimme a second! I’m not leaving without my mom.
You must. You’re the only one capable.

Listen to me.

We’re already within their attack range.

Izumi!?
I’m going to take them on.
What are you doing piloting that?
This is Sentinel No. 13. There’s no one else who can pilot it but me. Sorry to rush you, but we’re running out of time.

The holographic display disappears.

Change of plans. Juro Izumi’s made his choice. His nanomachines aren’t going to hold much longer. If we don’t begin the test now, we’ll miss our chance. The evacuation can wait. Hurry and bring that girl over.

Interesting, but a little light on new information. Honestly, that’s a lot of Tomi’s story so far.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 16, 2021

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

GOUTO: Get in the robot, Tomi

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Tomi apparently is able to recall conversations people had while she was unconscious :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 57: Natsuno Minami 5

We haven’t checked in with Natsuno in… oof, over thirty updates. Let’s rectify that.

Ta-Tamao-san!?

Consider Scar on Cheek

(A small puncture on my cheek. Looks like I got stabbed by a needle… I must’ve gotten it in the girls’ bathroom. But why can’t I remember anything about it…? Did I… Was I captured and had my memories erased? What if they implanted something in me… Hmm. I’m probably overthinking it.)

Nah, I’d say most of that was dead-on.

Consider Keitaro Miura

(At least for now, I told Miura-kun… He should stay at Juro-kun’s house. After all, I’m the one who dragged him into this. I need to take responsibility.)

How are you here, Tamao-san?

This place isn’t ideal… I’d be found far too soon.
Hm?

Wonder what they did to her…

Suddenly, the manager enters!

Oh, um, well…
Wait, don’t tell me. You turned in your sign-up form but never came, huh? It’s Aiba-san, right? Erika Aiba?
……

Right next to Minami-san in class 1-C.
Uh, yeah, right…
Have you recovered from your illness?
*looks back at “Tamao”* Well, actually, she…

Oh, okay. Well, that’s too bad. I hope you get well soon.

Natsuno, come on, girl! I know you don’t remember the bathroom, but think a little! Time travel!

Class 1-D… Next door…

Looks like someone found a new identity. Good for her. Or him. Whoever that is in there, really.

“Aiba” leaves, at any rate.

Right. I should go tell the coach.

The nanosecond the manager leaves the room, BJ pops out of his shell in the corner.

Did she find you?
…? “She”?
The girl that was just here. Aiba-san.
Nobody was here.
……

Natsuno is confused, but decides not to press the issue for… some reason.

Sound good?
Natsuno. The gate…

Jeez, pushy today, aren’t we BJ? You know, it’s always the gate with you! You never ask me about my day! Is stopping the robopocalypse really more important than us!?

Maybe we can sneak out.

Use P. E. Bag on BJ

Are you going home, Natsuno?
Ha ha… You got me. Please don’t tell Senpai. Our planet is in danger. There isn’t a second to spare!
Yeah, whatever.

You think Natsuno pulls that alien conspiracy poo poo often as an excuse? Might be worth having people think you’re a loon to get out of practice now and again.

Music: The Tower of Knowledge (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

Sector 1 has been searched. No Sentinel found.
I see. Bummer…

We found a Sentinel there, but not the one we’re looking for.
Travel to Sector 5 is possible… But there is no signal from No. 17.

Sector 2 was our first destination.
Yeah, but we didn’t get to look around much.

Let’s go there again and do a proper search.

But we shouldn’t let our guard down.

Natsuno, you wait here.

You’re going by yourself?

I certainly won’t waste it waiting.

Natsuno immediately begins wandering off, because gently caress that.

Just gonna peek around a bit.

As Natsuno approaches, a white flash emanates from offscreen, vanishing just as quickly as it appeared.

I saw something light up…

That’s what you get for leaving me behind.

Music: Emotional Storm (Yoshimi Kudo)

Oh gently caress, that’s… not good.

What happened to you?

Talk to me…

I’m sure I can save him.

What!? Why do you think you suddenly understand alien biology or robotics!?

Where is it? Is this it?

I think it’s this…

Consider BJ’s Brain

(There’s some letters on this. Shiki… shima… …Shikishima Robotics?)

HOLY poo poo, SHE FINALLY GOT IT! Everyone, this calls for a celebration! Where’s the cake!?

Consider Shikishima Robotics

(BJ’s not an alien. He’s a robot made in Japan.)

Well, if it isn’t the king of lies himself. First you make her think you’re an alien, and then you make her think you’re dead! Well, you didn’t actually say any of those things, but still! What fanciful new deception will you enact next, Miura!?

But wait… What I saw earlier… It was a different robot?

Sentinel No. 8. A remote control type. This is not Sentinel No. 17…

Of course it’s not… Wait. No. 8…? Could this be the aftermath of Iori’s collapse in the science room from a few updates back? Was that flash Gouto shifting away? Then the destroyed scout unit would probably be the one Ei shot, wouldn’t it?

Oh boy, Natsuno’s piiiiiissed.

Use Shikishima Robotics on BJ

You’re just a robot made in Japan. You’re no alien…

“Just” a robot, she says.

……
Isn’t that right?

I bet this is another one of Shikishima’s. *gasp of realization*

Huh, you figured that one out rather quickly. I’m honestly impressed.

Music: Hard Pill to Swallow (Kikuchi Yukinori)

…… Four-legged autonomous cranes from Shikishima Industries… Hi-Quad 150B.
No way…

But… why? Why are robots meant for Mars invading Earth?
……

Oh boy, I hope you’re ready for some ludicrous nonsense because I’m sure as gently caress not.

…Not Earth?
It is a speculation. The lack of proof makes it only a possibility.
Okay, but… what?
The basis for my speculation is this log.

There are 117 planets under consideration for the project. Of those, the top prospect is a planetary system 12 light-years away.
I don’t think this is going to work. Aren’t you the professor’s daughter?
Yes, I’m helping with the layout.
For the migration ship? It looks quite small.
In the harsh environment of space… It is not possible to sustain life for extended periods of time. The ship will be carrying only our DNA. In the final phase of the project, humanity will be restarted.
So we’re creating aliens. How large of a population are you estimating?
We’re planning for 6 million.
And you really expect me to approve of this project?
If you’d just listen to my mother’s explanation…
It is not necessary. This endeavor is nothing but self-satisfying. It is impractical. Now that my father has passed away, I’m the one in charge. The research will be disposed of and the funds suspended.
You can’t… Ogata-san, please.

The log ends.

A communication log between Natsuno Minami… And Shikishima’s top executive. Nenji Ogata.
Ogata-kun?
After this log… The plan was implemented.

But it just says that it wasn’t implemented in the log itself… Something must have happened to change that…

OH GOD

Natsuno. Do you understand? It is possible…

And then Natsuno was the alien. Bet she’s pretty jazzed about that, eh?

Christ, that was a lot of information.

Well, we’re not gonna be picking Natsuno again for a bit.

Here’s the new Mystery File updates from that one.

To accompany these new revelations, we add 2188 Nenji opposing Project Ark.

We also add “Alien Planet?” as a mystery.

As it happens, I checked the completion percentage after recording this one, and it turns out we’re at exactly 50% completion for Remembrance. So buckle up, ladies and gents, we’ve got a wild ride still ahead of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

:unsmigghh: