Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

explosivo posted:

I played a bit of the beta for Riders Republic and figured I'd share my thoughts on it. Overall this feels the closest to "Forza but X-Games" as they've come in their last few attempts at making this same loving game and I think there's fun to be had here but nothing feels good enough to be the headlining feature of this game. You're seeing other players around everywhere and can see everyone moving around on the map as individual icons which is actually pretty awesome. To me the biking is the most fun to be had here; tearing rear end down a road on a road bike or on a narrow dirt path on a dirtbike as you're dodging rocks is a lot of fun, as is biking through the big open world in freeroam and just exploring. The game could be cool but also I discovered Descenders on gamepass is basically just the downhill biking part of that game and I'd much rather just play that.

This skillup video on it makes it seem pretty drat awesome.

https://youtu.be/wKZSz0GoeqA

I think I’m in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Accubitus posted:

It turns out that all of those interactions (except Atrus at the end) are just .mp4 files that can be replaced, so somebody on Steam already wrote a guide for replacing them with the FMVs from RealMyst, along with a Drive link containing the files you need. It really does look much better, I'll probably do that before I play.

Worth noting that there is a scene where you get face-to-face with a character and he's a realtime 3D animated model, so you can't replace a video for that part.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is a bit of a reach, but I discovered that at some point I scored a copy of Hearts of Iron 3, so I've been playing around with it. I don't think I'll go deep down the rabbit hole, because it represents some of Paradox's more infuriating brick-to-the-face UI/UX design problems, but I absolutely love the idea of a conflict where the actual gunshoots are largely just a measuring stick for how effective your industrial and logistics engine is.

Is there anything that scratches a similar itch but doesn't suffer from Paradox-itis? It need not be a wargame, but something about the way HoI actually lets me do stuff with logistics hits a fun button that pure supply line games like Factorio don't.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Omi no Kami posted:

This is a bit of a reach, but I discovered that at some point I scored a copy of Hearts of Iron 3, so I've been playing around with it. I don't think I'll go deep down the rabbit hole, because it represents some of Paradox's more infuriating brick-to-the-face UI/UX design problems, but I absolutely love the idea of a conflict where the actual gunshoots are largely just a measuring stick for how effective your industrial and logistics engine is.

Is there anything that scratches a similar itch but doesn't suffer from Paradox-itis? It need not be a wargame, but something about the way HoI actually lets me do stuff with logistics hits a fun button that pure supply line games like Factorio don't.

HoI 3 is generally regarded as not good, and HoI 4 is generally well liked. Modern Paradox is very different, but frankly it doesn’t sound like even that’s what you really want. The closest I can think of are Vietnam ‘65 and Afghanistan ‘11 for wargames that are more logistics than war fight, there were also really good Starcraft maps that were like that called Footmen and Nexus Wars, and in boardgames there’s Churchill, which is entirely politicking and resource allocation.

Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa has a lot more logistics and politics, but not really in the economic sense. Advanced Tactics Gold by its very nature is probably more like that, but honestly maybe just Civ or Total War best represents that

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

Foxhole, even if I have a low opinion of the dev team's abilities, is like paradise for logistic nerds. You have to put in a lot of effort though, to mine materials then fabricate stuff and then transport equipment to the front where it will either be wasted by Pvt. Eatsglue or maybe, just maybe, be used to crack the frontline open and secure victory.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mescal posted:

Thanks for the advices on skyrim the other day. Helped me decide that I can probably skip it for now.

Got Prey. Any tips on where I should put my neuromods now that I've the manufacturing plan? I have most of the level 1 human upgrades and Suit II and Repair II. I don't have any alien mods installed and I don't want to install any until I have all of them revealed or know more, because I'm relying pretty heavily on the turrets and I don't want them to turn on me. I guess you can get two of the before that happens.

Fun game. It's the right amount of creepyscary. I play a true crime podcast while playing it to double the spoopy. I got it for the mooncrash dlc but I haven't launched that yet.

Prey has this (very minor) problem of FOMO when it comes to neuromods, where it implies buying the 'wrong' ones might make the game unfun or ruin a precious steam cheevo. Quite honestly, my advice is: gently caress those steam cheevos, and go hog wild on buying anything that seems cool. Abilities in Prey get much much better the more you invest in them and their lvl1 incarnations don't properly hint at the madness you get at lvl3. Combat Focus is vanilla/human but wildly OP and renders the game trivial, Psychoshock, Kinetic Blast, Backlash transform you into a mad warlock, and so on. The higher tier human tinkering stuff is ok but expensive, so trying to max that stuff (I said trying, even with optimal recycling you really have to pick&choose) makes you miss out on half the game's fun. Don't worry about turrets they are totally trivial to walk past, knock over, zap with electricity, mind control, hack, etc.

One ability I will say is a trap is Phantom Genesis 2: It summons advanced elemental phantoms, which cheerfully follow you around and accidentally shock all electronics or burn you to death. Whoops.

MoonCrash is amazing, but wait until you've finished the main game first as it doesn't hesitate to throw lategame enemies at you with no introduction.

edit:

pentyne posted:

Mimic matter is a huge utility upgrade as far as Typhon mods goes, and the offensive powers are extremely good. You can get 2 powers before the turrets start attacking, so I went with Mimic and Pyschoshock. It doesn't make a difference if you max them, only if you add on more Typhon powers.
You 100% sure on that, I was positive it was the other way around, third purple neuromod box purchased, regardless of tree?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 27, 2021

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/skateEA/status/1430938091834023941

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

Shadow Empire! Interstellar civilization has collapsed and x number of regimes are trying to claw their way back using their starting ruins and reactor. Tanks are great, and tanks with laser guns and polymer armor are even better. But they cost a bunch to make compared to infantry, and the costs only increase as they get fancier. Offensives live and die on how well you can wrangle the logistics of your empire. Every soldier fielded is one less person to work your fields and factories. Leaders love or hate their jobs based on their political affiliations. Probably a lateral move on the UI front, looking at you vehicle design.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mescal posted:

Thanks for the advices on skyrim the other day. Helped me decide that I can probably skip it for now.

Got Prey. Any tips on where I should put my neuromods now that I've the manufacturing plan? I have most of the level 1 human upgrades and Suit II and Repair II. I don't have any alien mods installed and I don't want to install any until I have all of them revealed or know more, because I'm relying pretty heavily on the turrets and I don't want them to turn on me. I guess you can get two of the before that happens.

Fun game. It's the right amount of creepyscary. I play a true crime podcast while playing it to double the spoopy. I got it for the mooncrash dlc but I haven't launched that yet.

Note that even if you've got enough Typhon upgrades to trigger turrets, you can simply hack them to have them revert back to recognizing you as friendly. On that note, Hacking is basically the prime "I don't wanna bother with this riddle" skill, opening up a huge number of doors that would ordinarily require some more work to get open. However, it's also almost never strictly necessary, you can get almost everywhere through creative use of mimic/repair/GLOO/scavenging.

Apart from that, I'd recommend getting at least one offensive Energy power, since those tend to hit enemy weaknesses and help a lot with saving on ammo.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

habituallyred posted:

Shadow Empire! Interstellar civilization has collapsed and x number of regimes are trying to claw their way back using their starting ruins and reactor. Tanks are great, and tanks with laser guns and polymer armor are even better. But they cost a bunch to make compared to infantry, and the costs only increase as they get fancier. Offensives live and die on how well you can wrangle the logistics of your empire. Every soldier fielded is one less person to work your fields and factories. Leaders love or hate their jobs based on their political affiliations. Probably a lateral move on the UI front, looking at you vehicle design.

The one issue with Shadow Empire is that I find that the poo poo you can just randomly find, like a bunch of mechs or a random loving nuke, can tip the balance too much to fit their requirements. It’s a great game and I love it to bits though.

But actually, on a similar note, Dominions 5 is also close to the “industry and logistics” notion in spirit, though replacing all that with magic. It’s pretty cool if you see the magic stuff as abstractions and recontextualisation.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Serephina posted:

Prey has this (very minor) problem of FOMO when it comes to neuromods, where it implies buying the 'wrong' ones might make the game unfun or ruin a precious steam cheevo. Quite honestly, my advice is: gently caress those steam cheevos, and go hog wild on buying anything that seems cool. Abilities in Prey get much much better the more you invest in them and their lvl1 incarnations don't properly hint at the madness you get at lvl3. Combat Focus is vanilla/human but wildly OP and renders the game trivial, Psychoshock, Kinetic Blast, Backlash transform you into a mad warlock, and so on. The higher tier human tinkering stuff is ok but expensive, so trying to max that stuff (I said trying, even with optimal recycling you really have to pick&choose) makes you miss out on half the game's fun. Don't worry about turrets they are totally trivial to walk past, knock over, zap with electricity, mind control, hack, etc.

You 100% sure on that, I was positive it was the other way around, third purple neuromod box purchased, regardless of tree?

Thanks, cool stuff. I was thinking about the bullet time but not sure if I want to trivialize the combat entirely!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've now finished a run through of the new Myst and I really like this new version. Gameplay wise there isn't much to say, it's just Myst. The option to randomise puzzles is great for me and gives me a reason to actually do the puzzles rather than working on memory or looking at old notes.

Graphically it's great and I like they haven't been too precious with the world design and have reworked some things here and there rather than just making everything identical to the old game.
Myst has always had a more magical feeling to how some things in the world worked, while the later games made everything more mechanical. They've changed some things to have buttons or switches in this version where in the original you would have clicked the object itself, this also makes it easier for players to see that something is interactable. For example, the paintings in the library: in the previous versions you had to click the paintings to open/close the doors, in this version there are bars below the paintings you tug on. Less pixel hunting, which would be worse in 3D. Feels like the game fits a bit more into how the Myst universe developed later.

Some examples of stylistic changes: the Myst book in Stoneship doesn't just 'unmelt' from the table but instead emerges from a hidden panel. Selenitic has an actual book now, instead of clicking on a video screen when you solve the puzzle, the 'screen' rotates to reveal an actual book. The chest in Stoneship's light house looks weird, there are a bunch of changes throughout the game to eliminate the need for crouching in VR so stuff is brought up to at least waist height.

The bad endings are pretty neat instead of just playing a video of you watching one of the brothers ripping pages from the book you're trapped in, instead you're now in a static void you can walk around in with a window floating in the air and are forced to watch a giant Sirrus/Achenar tear the pages out as static starts to obscure them. The characters are in realtime 3D here, so dropping in a video won't change the endings.

Meeting Atrus in D'ni is a little awkward though, they don't seem to have set up head tracking on him so he won't look at you if you move around the room.

Overall, yeah, I really like this new version.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MarcusSA posted:

This skillup video on it makes it seem pretty drat awesome.

https://youtu.be/wKZSz0GoeqA

I think I’m in.

Yeah I think a lot of the reasons he mentioned are what has me still thinking about it today, I'm just not sure if for me it's a day one full priced purchase, especially when I know they're going to be slinging microtransactions at me the whole time after paying $60 for it too. It really is fun to play and I can definitely see where he's coming from about having it installed to do a couple downhill races or just explore a mountain a bit and be done.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Final Fantasy Legend trilogy (SaGa) is coming to Steam on October 21st

(Switch version pictured, as there is no Steam page at the moment, but yes it will have the wallpapers)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

pretty much done with Hollow Knight. time to try Blasphemous again

shall I use English or Spanish VO

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Even the devs say Spanish VO is the way it’s meant to be played.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't know a lick of Spanish but it sounds real good to my ignorant ears

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The 7th Guest posted:

(Switch version pictured, as there is no Steam page at the moment, but yes it will have the wallpapers)

I can't wait to instant kill god with a saw again.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I can't wait to instant kill god with a saw again.

https://youtu.be/zpWSwNqxV2E

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tiramisu posted:

Even the devs say Spanish VO is the way it’s meant to be played.

i keep hitting L1 to look at my map and heal instead

i'm still doing the boss rushes in hollow knight too so this is gonna continually own me :gonk:

digging it, though. especially the music; i actually thought most of HK's music was oddly unmemorable (though there were a few standouts, and i realize i'm in the minority anyway)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 27, 2021

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Hey Square Enix how about Xenogears on Steam huh?? I'd like to finish it someday :negative:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I got my key for Black Geyser, which I backed on KickStarter ages ago and is now out on Steam in Early Access. I'm kind of curious, though I don't know if I'll play it while it's still in EA.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PlushCow posted:

Hey Square Enix how about Xenogears on Steam huh?? I'd like to finish it someday :negative:
they'll do that riiiiiiiight after they get to Chrono Cross sometime in 2054

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

pretty much done with Hollow Knight. time to try Blasphemous again

shall I use English or Spanish VO

Honestly they’re both good as the devs replaced the one comically bad character in the english VO with a new actor, but replaying it with spanish felt a little more fitting

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

This isn't a 'game' (more of a spreadsheet simulator) I've played, since I only saw some YouTube videos, but maybe try looking at Aurora 4x?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If you're into spreadsheet simulators, can't forget about the most famous one - EVE Online. I haven't played in a few weeks now, but goons recently won the biggest war in the game's history, and the revenge tour should be getting started right about now.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The 7th Guest posted:

Legend was one of my favorite Game Boy games. I can still hear some of the chiptune music in my head.

I can't imagine it would be much fun to play now though.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

explosivo posted:

I played a bit of the beta for Riders Republic and figured I'd share my thoughts on it. Overall this feels the closest to "Forza but X-Games" as they've come in their last few attempts at making this same loving game and I think there's fun to be had here but nothing feels good enough to be the headlining feature of this game. You're seeing other players around everywhere and can see everyone moving around on the map as individual icons which is actually pretty awesome. To me the biking is the most fun to be had here; tearing rear end down a road on a road bike or on a narrow dirt path on a dirtbike as you're dodging rocks is a lot of fun, as is biking through the big open world in freeroam and just exploring. The game could be cool but also I discovered Descenders on gamepass is basically just the downhill biking part of that game and I'd much rather just play that.

Yeah I was gonna share my thoughts, played for a few hours today and yesterday.

I mean, this game is completely absurd. The extent to which they are trying to bite Forza Horizon is kind of hilarious as well. The racing CAN be fun, but a lot of times it just isn't that much. It's not deep at all, and the fact that your bike can ride anywhere on anything and you can literally jump off a cliff with no care at all and land successfully kind of makes it feel overly silly. There is some skill to be demonstrated in the races, and they can be sort of fun, but the lack of depth is a thing and the 'grind for incrementally better gear so you can win multiplayer races and/or buy them' totally sucks. The characters in the light story are also stupid and annoying.

The other sports can be kind of fun though, wingsuiting is nice and challenging and the trick system for snowboarding and skiing seems solid and pretty fun.

It's also absolutely chock full of jank. Like just play for a minute and you will see something that looks insanely crappy and broken. Mostly the issues are visual though from what I could tell, but still.

I'm still trying to decide if this is something I would actually want to buy. There are good things there but it also doesn't grab me as much as I was hoping for. Maybe I'll get it on sale eventually and just play it like a single player game.

Also played quite a bit of SPOOKWARE. I like it, with some caveats. The microgames are awesome and I love them. The interludes where you travel to a new chapter and explore a certain area (which eventually culminates in a microgame challenge) I didn't like as much and tended to bore me a bit. It's not super funny but can definitely be amusing and silly.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Legend was one of my favorite Game Boy games. I can still hear some of the chiptune music in my head.

It mostly holds up because most of the fun is building characters and that was always solid. And like you say the awesome music. You can also use a guide on the aimless parts.

$20 of holding up is ehhh, your nostalgia better do some heavy lifting but I guess that's what steam sales are for.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm still mad that they didn't make this collection the upgraded Wonderswan/DS ports because they'd have had to put in the work to translate those. They're so much snazzier.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Play posted:

Yeah I was gonna share my thoughts, played for a few hours today and yesterday.

I mean, this game is completely absurd. The extent to which they are trying to bite Forza Horizon is kind of hilarious as well. The racing CAN be fun, but a lot of times it just isn't that much. It's not deep at all, and the fact that your bike can ride anywhere on anything and you can literally jump off a cliff with no care at all and land successfully kind of makes it feel overly silly.
It's also absolutely chock full of jank. Like just play for a minute and you will see something that looks insanely crappy and broken. Mostly the issues are visual though from what I could tell, but still.

I will say that at least initially I was relieved to find the free rotation mode that makes it so you can't just tap A and do a perfect backflip. The initial Forza "check out all this cool poo poo you can do!!!" forced race at the beginning felt like poo poo because it was on baby easy mode with all the assists on so I was really concerned at the start. After changing it so you can free rotate and I changing to the alternate controls to use the right stick for jump/spin I was kinda getting into the groove.

And as for the jank, yeah.. it makes a lot of sense but I didn't quite realize that everything you see on the map is ghosts of other players and not actual other players, so I guess the jankiness of the animations probably has something to do with that? I do hope that stuff can get tightened up because it's actually cool as hell to see other riders everywhere you go but when they look like poo poo skipping around during races eh not so much.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

explosivo posted:

I will say that at least initially I was relieved to find the free rotation mode that makes it so you can't just tap A and do a perfect backflip. The initial Forza "check out all this cool poo poo you can do!!!" forced race at the beginning felt like poo poo because it was on baby easy mode with all the assists on so I was really concerned at the start. After changing it so you can free rotate and I changing to the alternate controls to use the right stick for jump/spin I was kinda getting into the groove.

And as for the jank, yeah.. it makes a lot of sense but I didn't quite realize that everything you see on the map is ghosts of other players and not actual other players, so I guess the jankiness of the animations probably has something to do with that? I do hope that stuff can get tightened up because it's actually cool as hell to see other riders everywhere you go but when they look like poo poo skipping around during races eh not so much.

Yeah I changed it to manual and pro difficulty the second they would allow you to otherwise there is absolutely no point. And nailing a rotation or flip can feel pretty decent, the tricking actually probably feels a bit better than the racing overall. Huge can-can 360 off a massive canyon step down on the bike feels p good.

And yeah the competition just jumps around like crazy during the races and when you are just seeing them on the map, lots of times it looks like crap and it seems like they had trouble deciding what happens when you run into a ghost you're racing, half the time I seem to just blast right through them and the other times I get pushed in a random direction or slowed down.

Spawning players all in the same spot too so they become an eldritch human centipede-esque horror

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

PlushCow posted:

You would like to finish it? The whole world has been waiting for two decades on Square Enix to finish Xenogears as a complete game.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I watched someone else play Prey before I played it myself and decided that the hacking minigame looked annoying, so when I played, I deliberately bought no hacking and never hacked anything. I kept thinking I'd have to buy it eventually, but I never did - pretty much everything that 'required' hacking could be solved either with nerf darts or by turning into a coffee cup.

Or I guess by finding the relevant password in the world, if you just gotta.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Or by GLOOing things!

I never did beat that game, I should reinstall it and figure out how to get past where I got stuck...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ciaphas posted:

digging it, though. especially the music; i actually thought most of HK's music was oddly unmemorable (though there were a few standouts, and i realize i'm in the minority anyway)

Whaaaaaaat? I thought HK's music was very good all over!
I sometimes listen to the City of Tears music on a loop when I go to sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znck5cy9EMQ

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

HopperUK posted:

I adore HK's soundtrack 🥰

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

HopperUK posted:

oh yeah that theme is top tier for sure; but I’ve already completely forgotten the themes for crossroads, greenpath, funguslands, queens place, and probably others. None of them were bad at all; they just didn’t stick out :shrug:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ciaphas posted:

oh yeah that theme is top tier for sure; but I’ve already completely forgotten the themes for crossroads, greenpath, funguslands, queens place, and probably others. None of them were bad at all; they just didn’t stick out :shrug:

yeah same. they aren't bad or anything, fitting the game just great but nothing to listen outside of the game for me or form a special memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

PlushCow posted:

There has been an undub patch that fixed the Deus crash.