Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Duckman2008 posted:

That poo poo is tantamount to torture.

I think you threw an extra word in there.

When I worked the retail counter at my current employer, there was no PA at all, much less PA music, but I was allowed musical control. Which means that I hooked my speakers up to the counter PC and played whatever the gently caress I wanted on Spotify. Always fun when a customer walked in in the middle of "Die Motherfucker Die" or some Geto Boys tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I will contribute further to this discussion by stating that although I and many of my coworkers love our music, there is one lady in our department that covers her ears and shrieks whenever an ABBA song starts to play.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

If you see an empty display and you're fully aware you have the product to refill it, do you:

A: re-stock the display, or

B: waste your time tearing the whole thing down so that the next shift has to waste their time putting it back together and tracking down the signage you just kinda tossed wherever?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

C: ignore it, saying internally "pfffft - ain't my job," and move on to the next pile of bullshit

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
D: Spend two hours arguing with a coworker about whether turqoise is "green" or "blue," drawing multiple other coworkers in to cast their votes to settle it, and in general avoid doing anything that enriches my employers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'm so loving tired. Got a co-worker: actually has half a brain and good at their job at work, but at the same time he's a massive loving COV-idiot.

"Masks don't work!" he used to call out until Amazon's SD-Force beat it into his head to wear one.

Amazon offers cash and time off: "Nope!" To be fair: he never takes unpaid time (which is what they offering) unless he's legit sick or hurt so his pool is almost always full.

Amazon offers a chance to win up to $500,000 for getting the shot: Still no, bitches louder.

Gets told that the FDA approval went through, blames FDA for being corrupt.

The only silver lining is that he isn't/wasn't a Trumpist. He just hates all things government and constantly bitched "The Clintons were just as corrupt but they were at least competent...". Still I've stopped worrying about him and am quietly hoping he'll just gently caress off at this point.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

I'm so loving tired. Got a co-worker: actually has half a brain and good at their job at work, but at the same time he's a massive loving COV-idiot.

"Masks don't work!" he used to call out until Amazon's SD-Force beat it into his head to wear one.

Amazon offers cash and time off: "Nope!" To be fair: he never takes unpaid time (which is what they offering) unless he's legit sick or hurt so his pool is almost always full.

Amazon offers a chance to win up to $500,000 for getting the shot: Still no, bitches louder.

Gets told that the FDA approval went through, blames FDA for being corrupt.

The only silver lining is that he isn't/wasn't a Trumpist. He just hates all things government and constantly bitched "The Clintons were just as corrupt but they were at least competent...". Still I've stopped worrying about him and am quietly hoping he'll just gently caress off at this point.

If masks don't work, handwashing doesn't work either.

I'm surprised Amazon isn't making you get the shot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

If masks don't work, handwashing doesn't work either.

I'm surprised Amazon isn't making you get the shot.

Amazon probably can’t afford the percentage of workers that would quit for a mandate that most other companies and the US government don’t have the balls to enforce anyway.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Amazon probably can’t afford the percentage of workers that would quit for a mandate that most other companies and the US government don’t have the balls to enforce anyway.

Probably churns through enough workers that it doesn't think the additional attrition of the unvaccinated would make as much difference in the short term

I am sure that at least Amazon has done some Great Patriotic War-rear end math on how the virus might affect their profits in the event of various plague-related stressors.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Comcast guy apologized for taking too long like I care that I have excuse to be paid to do nothing for 3 hours.

Plus it meant I missed out on getting bitched at by the SM because her visit with the higher ups went bad

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My manager is such an inept bitch.

So I deliver poo poo for a big company. And we use a mobile oil change service that is utter poo poo; the dude has left vans unlocked after service, hasn't completed poo poo or outright lies about what he's done (example: I told him I had an issue with my tmps light and he said it was because the tires hadn't been rotated in almost a year). But my manager refuses to use anyone else, even if there is a Pepboys literally next to my store.

So my tmps is on. Today, after visiting several Discount Tires for them to check the air, one finally found a nail in a tire. Now, clearly I could have picked this nail up anywhere. None of the tires are clearly deflating and the tmps light has been on since last week. But I tell my boss this, and that I can get an appointment to get it fixed today.

She denies it. She says she will get me an appointment later.

So I drove on this tire today. But tomorrow, I don't know. She refuses to have the mobile dude come out again because "he will just charge us again and he should have fixed it the first time" but refuses to let me go to Pepboys to get a new tire either. Harps on safety nonstop but then this.

Maybe I should rip the nail out tomorrow and let the tire loving deflate.

edit: I guess I should add I do pickups and deliveries from many retail places and we are not allowed to yeet poo poo. Tempting though.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 26, 2021

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I'd take the nail out. "Hrmm must've fallen out while I was driving"

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

My manager is such an inept bitch.

If it makes you feel any better, my father drives a truck. A big truck. Fifty-three foot tractor-trailer truck.

His dispatchers will still dick around and hem and haw when it comes to important, sometimes critical safety things. Like tires. Or mysterious air leaks. Or whatever.

The difference is he's a truck driver with thirty years of experience in an industry that is critically short of manpower, always and forever. So when it gets bad, he just says, "Fix it or I won't loving drive."

You'd think that the potential liability of having a forty-ton missile hurtling along would motivate the people involved to be less stupid, but no. It's the same. Even with the potential for death and/or massive fines. When the drivers have some kind of emergency or need someone to make a decision, they can't even reliably get ahold of someone.

I've never known a single driver who said 'yeah wow I love my loving dispatcher they're great'. They almost universally suck, piss off the drivers, know nothing about their stops or their customers, and gently caress things up. I think that in a cadre of dispatchers, they probably spend more time bullshitting and doing stupid office politics than actually doing their jobs.

It's simply astonishing to me how truck/logistics companies do the dumbest poo poo that, from an outside perspective, make no sense at all. They actively hurt the company, cost it money, manpower, time, etc, and yet nobody inside the company seems to realize or care.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Cowslips Warren posted:

She denies it. She says she will get me an appointment later.

to what end?! what an rear end in a top hat lol

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If it makes you feel any better, my father drives a truck. A big truck. Fifty-three foot tractor-trailer truck.

His dispatchers will still dick around and hem and haw when it comes to important, sometimes critical safety things. Like tires. Or mysterious air leaks. Or whatever.

The difference is he's a truck driver with thirty years of experience in an industry that is critically short of manpower, always and forever. So when it gets bad, he just says, "Fix it or I won't loving drive."

You'd think that the potential liability of having a forty-ton missile hurtling along would motivate the people involved to be less stupid, but no. It's the same. Even with the potential for death and/or massive fines. When the drivers have some kind of emergency or need someone to make a decision, they can't even reliably get ahold of someone.

I've never known a single driver who said 'yeah wow I love my loving dispatcher they're great'. They almost universally suck, piss off the drivers, know nothing about their stops or their customers, and gently caress things up. I think that in a cadre of dispatchers, they probably spend more time bullshitting and doing stupid office politics than actually doing their jobs.

It's simply astonishing to me how truck/logistics companies do the dumbest poo poo that, from an outside perspective, make no sense at all. They actively hurt the company, cost it money, manpower, time, etc, and yet nobody inside the company seems to realize or care.

Dispatchers are told to get freight moved faster than humanly possible and that delays are unacceptable unless federally required. And those ones are also debatable.

Our company has its own truck garages at some terminals, and the ones that don't tend to have regular truck garages nearby. Our drivers know if something's wrong with the truck, you just call in and say "hey poo poo's hosed, going to get it looked at" and then they're free to do just that. Because we trust our drivers to know the trucks they drive every day.

It's a pretty big disconnect between the drivers, the dispatchers, and the bosses above it all. Drivers are free to make that decision but dispatchers can't?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah, everyone hates the dispatcher at our warehouse too. To be fair, she's passive aggressive and toxic and also someone who was clearly promoted into a position she doesn't know how to do with no real training but also refuses to, you know, accept help, guidance, or outside opinions.

She was extremely weird and aggressive with me for several months, during which I was just aggressively friendly with her until she, I dunno, started feeling weird about being a jerk to someone who was unfailingly pleasant in return and stopped. She can't touch me, I'm a relief driver, and because the company is set up with drivers being owner-operators, I'm basically a (licensed by the company) sub-contractor hired by the drivers themselves, and I get my money from the drivers, not from her. I hear she has a history of subtly bullying relief drivers, so it's not me imagining it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My afternoon dispatch never answers our calls, hangs up on us if we wait on hold, and when I did have a tire blow out and called him, his first words were "Well we're too busy, I can't take anything off your route."

My morning one is pretty chill and nice so she will be the one I'll explain this poo poo to today. Especially with it getting over 110 today. Not gonna be good for tires.

So instead of cutting out an hour early yesterday to get this done, or even dropping my van off and picking it up this morning, I will likely have to sit and wait a few hours to even get it looked at. Yay for forward loving thinking.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I truly do not understand the level of incompetence some management displays. Back when I worked in the office, I undertook several massive organizational projects to prevent this sort of poo poo.

The first one was taking the absolute loving mess of a tool log and condensing it to a spreadsheet, along with piecing together what I could between manuals, receipts, and registrations. I registered about 2 dozen tools online, collated about 30 sets of receipts and manuals, and got serial numbers for tools purchased on the company dime several years prior. When all was said and done, I had a handful of 6" x 9" poly bags with documents in a drawer and a spreadsheet with everything I could find. This project was brought on by the fact that someone stole a $300 hammer drill out of a truck on a job site and we didn't have the documentation for the police.

The second one was a similar project, but for vehicles. I pretty much did the same thing, except I had maintenance invoices to go through and piece together as well. Somehow it took almost as long for 5 trucks as it did for 30 tools.

When something went wrong with any of these from that point on - like when one of our trucks blew its tranny 100 miles away - we had everything ready to go. Upper management nickel and dimes the dumbest poo poo. Sure, let's have monthly safety meetings - but avoid the fact that the company should be providing water on job sites. That only changed after someone (cough) tipped OSHA off, now the installers get water on the Home Depot card a few times a month.

Point being, it's so dumb, Cowslips, that they're putting off a tire change when the alternative is blowing the tire, replacing the rim, and maybe your workman's comp suit for injuries sustained. Keep loving records of these conversations, as verbatim as you can make them. I'd almost say record them surreptitiously if you live in a one-party state. Feels like gross negligence in both the legal and connotative senses of the word "gross".

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
We're out of bags! :cheer: And we aren't allowed to go to Costco to buy any because ???

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

D34THROW posted:

I truly do not understand the level of incompetence some management displays.

Upper management nickel and dimes the dumbest poo poo.

Being penny wise and pound foolish seems to be a requisite for becoming a manager, but part of the issue is that like... most of upper management is brain damaged, literally brain damaged, incredibly moronic. See, because they, themselves, lucked out, or were born into money or status, they're convinced that physical barriers do not exist, as long as someone "wants" wealth and success enough, they'll get it. This translates into anyone who has half a brain, and thus understands reasonable limitations, being seen as "negative" and not promoted. While anyone who promises the moon and insists that everything can be done on schedule and under budget is promoted again and again, because they have "the right attitude."

It's not far from the ideological cult that you get in autocratic governments where adherence to the official line and being able to quote the local tome of ideology rapidly becomes more important than actually having competences.

When this isn't the case, it's a matter of shareholders who demand that number always go up. And usually the only "give" in a given budget, the part that's not hard-determined by circumstance, is personnel wages. Thus, anyone who doesn't want to get fired has to cut employees or their hours, which results in impossible timetables for the remainder. In this case the shareholders are perfectly aware that they're straining the system to the breaking point, but they don't give a gently caress because A) things just have to hold for long enough for them to cash out and B) if there are consequences, they won't be the one getting their dicks slammed in the door. They just demanded that number go up, they certainly didn't say anything about how it had to go up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'm sorry Cowslips, your manager has a bad case of manager-itus.

There is no known cure.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Alkydere posted:

There is no known cure.

Sure there is. :commissar:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
re store music chat the late night walmart radio had some gems. only fond memory i have working graveyard stocking there was when they inexplicably played King Crimson's Moonchild at 4am

almost makes up for all the times they played The Hampster Dance

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
My interaction with dispatchers recently involved the case where a driver dropped a two-ton 4 x 5 x 8 off the truck in such a way that the truck couldn’t get out

the dispatcher seemed more concerned about whether I was refusing delivery of the smashed equipment rather than, like, dealing with getting it up and out of the way of the truck

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
My only experience is having a new driver jack-knife his truck in front of our loading dock because it's a busy shopping centre and if you're not experienced to it then it can be kind of a poo poo show.
ASM came down to chew us out because dispatch had been bitching that we had left the driver there for 45minutes without accepting the delivery.

"Ready to receive as soon as he unfucks himself and backs it up to us mate"

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

We, apparently, have four trailers full of empty kegs that need to be sorted through. This has fallen on me, apparently, because I'm right in the sweet spot of "will do it right without too much complaining and won't take up way too much space to do it". Some of these trailers haven't been touched in a month, so there is one hell of a layer of dust and dirt on them. Some of the kegs aren't empty. Some are, actually, full and untouched.

Our "which kegs are sent where" sheet that we got literally two weeks ago was apparently made in 2018. We have changed a lot of contracts since then. Fully half the kegs I've seen so far aren't on the list. I technically have no authority to decide what to do with these, although in practice I do because anyone who disagrees immediately leaves when I say "fine, you can do it then". I spent my entire shift today sorting kegs and am just about halfway done.

I can 100% guarantee that the keg sorting job will never not be done by dayshift, because it's a pain to do so nightshift refuses, and one of the two dayshift supervisors won't do it because there's too much other work he wants done. So I already know this isn't the last time it'll end up this backed up.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Gee, self, why do i feel absolutely miserable at work, complete with vomiting up foam again? Hmm, outside temp:66, inside temp: 85. Ah yes that's why.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Managers are loving stupid. I mean I know that, you all know that, but sometimes it's mind boggling to see. It's exacerbated right now because we're training up a bunch of new managers who are going to go over and open up a new facility in a couple of weeks, so for every normal manager we have at least one rookie manager. The machine I manage, the tote router, lost a belt today. We didn't find out until a jam sensor tripped on the far end of the machine. Facilities climbs up the ladder and immediately shouts "What the gently caress is this poo poo?"

"What?" Cries out his buddy from below.

"We lost a belt!"

"That belt?"

"No the belt up here is fine, this is from somewhere else!"

"gently caress!"

At which point one of the rookie managers asks if they can turn the sorter back on. At which point the site repair crew has to explain that no, the machine just horked up a piece of itself. Management is being overridden and the machine will not run again until they find where the piece came from.

Anyways they quickly find the missing segment. Bad news: it's on the main line of the machine they can't repair without shutting down the entire facility for 30-45 minutes. Good news: It's actually at exactly the right section where we can keep running the machine without a belt for a while. The totes just come down a decline and skip over 3-4 feet of smooth metal plate before they're back onto powered track again.

At which point same rookie manager, after having been told and shown that the fault is on the main line asks "Can you just divert the work around and fix it?" At which point he has to be explained that "Main line" means if it's off the machine is off. Also that facilities has it's own "six foot" rule and has to disable any machinery and conveyor belts within 6 feet of the work area such as all the feeder belts.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

That sounds like a manager who believes that Production Trumps All and that nothing is more important than him personally ensuring work is always getting done at all costs. Which is most managers, really.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The thing was there was a normal, non-rookie manager who was there with him (his mentor I think) who was part of the "No, poo poo's broken, it's offline until it's fixed" live-action tutorial.

But our regular crew (not the rookies) have been around long enough for the Flat Sorter to break their spirits. The Flat Sorter breaks when it wants to, shuts down all production if it's down for too long and is fixed when it's fixed and not a minute earlier. Especially with the C-levels forcing us to use polybags. You just hope you don't hear poo poo like "Facilities is getting the scissor lift..." when it breaks.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

dovetaile posted:

Gee, self, why do i feel absolutely miserable at work, complete with vomiting up foam again? Hmm, outside temp:66, inside temp: 85. Ah yes that's why.

Is it intentional or is your AC dead? That happened to me once when I worked retail at my current job, the showroom AC poo poo the bed in the middle of summer and it was up to the mid-80s for most of the day.

That also happened to coincide with the time a rat died inside the air vents in my boss's office. What a wonderful, amazing smell until they found it and removed it. :nms:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

D34THROW posted:

Is it intentional or is your AC dead?

Yes.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Alkydere posted:

The thing was there was a normal, non-rookie manager who was there with him (his mentor I think) who was part of the "No, poo poo's broken, it's offline until it's fixed" live-action tutorial.

But our regular crew (not the rookies) have been around long enough for the Flat Sorter to break their spirits. The Flat Sorter breaks when it wants to, shuts down all production if it's down for too long and is fixed when it's fixed and not a minute earlier. Especially with the C-levels forcing us to use polybags. You just hope you don't hear poo poo like "Facilities is getting the scissor lift..." when it breaks.

Feed the baby manager to the machine. His blood will grease the wheels.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

dovetaile posted:

Lol here we call that a pleasant spring day. Certainly not warm enough to justify turning the aircon on.

I have the opposite problem at my work. The aircon is always set to loving Arctic blast. We have staff wearing sweaters in the middle of summer.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 2, 2021

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

D34THROW posted:

Is it intentional or is your AC dead? That happened to me once when I worked retail at my current job, the showroom AC poo poo the bed in the middle of summer and it was up to the mid-80s for most of the day.

That also happened to coincide with the time a rat died inside the air vents in my boss's office. What a wonderful, amazing smell until they found it and removed it. :nms:

Oh our AC's been dead for two years but it's gotten particularly bad this year.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

JackSplater posted:

We, apparently, have four trailers full of empty kegs that need to be sorted through. This has fallen on me, apparently, because I'm right in the sweet spot of "will do it right without too much complaining and won't take up way too much space to do it". Some of these trailers haven't been touched in a month, so there is one hell of a layer of dust and dirt on them. Some of the kegs aren't empty. Some are, actually, full and untouched.

Our "which kegs are sent where" sheet that we got literally two weeks ago was apparently made in 2018. We have changed a lot of contracts since then. Fully half the kegs I've seen so far aren't on the list. I technically have no authority to decide what to do with these, although in practice I do because anyone who disagrees immediately leaves when I say "fine, you can do it then". I spent my entire shift today sorting kegs and am just about halfway done.

I can 100% guarantee that the keg sorting job will never not be done by dayshift, because it's a pain to do so nightshift refuses, and one of the two dayshift supervisors won't do it because there's too much other work he wants done. So I already know this isn't the last time it'll end up this backed up.

Can you make any of those full kegs that aren't on the logs disappear? :)

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Trastion posted:

Can you make any of those full kegs that aren't on the logs disappear? :)

It's lovely beer like Bud Light, unfortunately, and most of it is very very old. And there are way too many cameras, and the OS/D guy said no when I asked him to give me some.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

we are hilariously short staffed right now.

so short staffed I have mandatory overtime next week

as a non-manager

in retail.

:stonklol:

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
We've been short-staffed for so long that 5 hours of OT a week, per FT employee, is basically shrugged off as "normal" by everyone up to our market manager. And she only freaks out about it every 3-4 months for a week or two. I don't remember the last time I didn't have OT.

I just wrapped a 7 day stretch yesterday, had today off, then I'm back for 4. At least I planned ahead and took a 3-day stretch off in the middle of next week, so I can hang out with my kiddo before she starts school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone NOT short staffed right now?

gently caress, a Taco Bell near me has a printed sign saying they are closed because "no one wants to work." IE no one wants to work for $8 an hour in a loving pandemic where most people won't mask up.