Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

excited to feel some goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Your life is in my hands.

Mmmmm. That feels nice. Do you moisturize?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Deep hack: if you let 5 of The Four Kings spawn on the map at a time, they merge together mech-style into the previously-assumed cut boss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4-boABnb_U

coool, was this what was intended? i knew he was cut but dont know if the merge was fan made

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vikar Jerome posted:

coool, was this what was intended? i knew he was cut but dont know if the merge was fan made

I think you were supposed to fight him to get the seal to New Londo rather than Ingward just giving it to you. You actually fought him where Ingward is now.

EDIT:

Cut dialogue posted:

Oh, hello. You've acquired the Lordvessel, have you? Very impressive. I know exactly what your intentions are. You seek the Four Kings whom I guard over. And yes, I do have the key to the seal. But before I give it up, there is something I must ask. Do you see the great hall that stands before you? Atop it, you will find a Darkwraith, a servant of the Four Kings. Show me that you can defeat it. As guardian of the seal, it behoves me to test your strength. For if you cannot defeat the Darkwraith, you will be no match for the Four Kings. Even if Frampt has chosen you. Even if you are the bearer of the Lordvessel.

You, you have defeated the Darkwraith! Very good, indeed. I can certainly trust you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Alonne's theme is so good too. I ended up downloading this piano/strings arrangement for my playlists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PO9IpkPeMg

Shiva of the East more like Shiva the Deceased.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

sounds like we're getting Pawns

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

PS game page (not the Store page, so no pre-order yet) https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/elden-ring/

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Cowcaster posted:

you misunderstood giving a single rat a mohawk makes it boss

i've always said this, ppl forget or something or aren't willing to admit that it owns

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

sounds like we're getting Pawns

have you seen the miyazaki Fumitsu interview? In the trailer, the blue summons are 'spirits' you can summon, basically like enemies you defeat that you can then choose to summon at certain spots, and level up etc.

"
--So weapon and skill combinations are important decisions for the player. Can you assign multiple skills to a weapon?

[Miyazaki] You can assign one skill per weapon. However, you can swap these freely - there are about 100 in total. There is also quite a selection of weapons - finding your favorite combination will be one of the things to enjoy.

Also, completely separate from this, it is possible to summon spirits. You can summon these to become allies and fight with you when in the correct place. There is the same element of collecting and equipping that exists with weapons, armor, magic, etc.

--Summoning spirits - this is something new.

[Miyazaki] Yes. Spirits are basically based on enemies, and have their own individual character that is quite varied. You can summon a shield character to protect you from behind, summon archers to aid your advance, place decoys to attack enemies from behind, etc. They have many strategic uses.

--Can the spirits level up? For example, to the point where you can use them against bosses.

[Miyazaki] Yes they can. Just like with weapons, you can choose which spirits to level up. Choose which ones to level to match your strategy or preference. There are even some spirits which aren't of much use, but are quite loveable anyway."

imhotep fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 6, 2021

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

miyazaki said something in an interview making it easier for players to find each other during invasions. makes sense since it will prob be a pain with bigger maps. maybe something to do with that?

there will also be designated spots on the map for coop summons which is cool too. kinda reminds me of those awful optional areas in the DS2 DLC that had the same kind of areas to summon

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
this game will be the Dark Souls of MMOs

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N755jvOUCNI

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Vikar Jerome posted:

He's not actually in the game at all. For fight it looks like they replaced the DS1 final boss with Mr. Jar Eel, and tried to import his attack data, but some of it still managed to be buggy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hatayama: Can I ask about Gwynevere, because compared to the other female characters she's very different, almost glamorous.

Miyazaki: … You don't like the design?

Hatayama: No, I just wanted to know what the original idea behind it was.

Otsuka: As a fan of the character I'd be interested to hear that too. Haha.

Miyazaki: Well, the truth is, I just wanted to make a really big woman. I think it was a Fujiko F. Fujio manga, (Yasuragi no Yakata, literally Tranqil Mansion), there was a company president who joins an exclusive club to escape his stressful work life, and there's a giant woman who takes care of the club members, almost like a mother… don't you think that's just a perfect situation? A giant, considerate, caring woman. The kind we all lost when we grew up, that's what I wanted to make. Originally I also wanted to put a mouth in the palm of her hand, and we made all of the animations, but it didn't make it into the final game. Talking of glamour, her breasts are nothing to do with me, they happened without my knowledge. It's all the artist's fault. I think I mentioned it earlier but I always seek a certain refinement in all my designs.

Waragai: Really? Haha

Miyazaki: Yes, But the artist had such a happy look on his face that I didn't have the heart to stop him.

Everyone: Haha

LMAO

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
loving lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's my favorite FromSoft story.

The game comes out 90 days after my birthday. The stars are aligning.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Amazing Chest Ahead

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Dark Souls did it before RE Village.

But also the PS store page is up !

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10000333/

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ooooooh elden ring.

Grant us preorders so that we may see [a countdown timer]

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

eonwe posted:

Amazing Chest Ahead

The story behind that is so charming

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Ooooooh elden ring.

Grant us preorders so that we may see [a countdown timer]

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtjSDV-3ZaI

No new footage but alot of new info and elaboration on previous details

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Info dump.

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1431240090475327490

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-the-first-preview

https://www.theverge.com/22643950/elden-ring-preview-fromsoftware-george-rr-martin

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-08-26-elden-ring

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1431244716918677505

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1431244360830574593

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What accent is it that pronounces 'narrative' so the first syllable is the same as "gnarly" and "immersed" uses the sound of "mare"?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

marshmallow creep posted:

What accent is it that pronounces 'narrative' so the first syllable is the same as "gnarly" and "immersed" uses the sound of "mare"?

I would guess with a name like aoife that shes irish

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I thought I'd heard enough Irish accents, but I guess not.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fairly confident thats scottish

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I doubt I could even imagine it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

Fairly confident thats scottish

Nah that's Irish

The one that really puzzled me was hearing Super Eyepatch Wolf pronounce the R in RPG as aur, guess there's still some ancient celtic mysteries left on that island

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
this game sounds absolutely unreal, like the perfect video game. God drat. umbasa

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is Elden Ring.... a Zelda game

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I keep getting the feeling that a lot of the game might feel a little too familiar? By which I mean, not terribly original when held up against previous FROM games. I hope I'm wrong.

Something I think about now and then, do you think a RPG like this but with a contemporary setting would be possible? I guess it would have to be mostly guns for weapons then wouldn't it? I suppose you could point to Shenmue which I've never played, but something with a lot of combat like a Souls games, can you even envision it? Its something I've always thought would be cool to see.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Halfway through Sekiro, and what I'm actually most interested in is seeing all the nutso animations that Fromsoft is working on. Ever since Bloodborne, I gotta say, their animators have been knocking it out of the park with weird and inventive animations.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it’s actually just a lazily reskinned assassins creed

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Dark Souls 1 is a Zelda game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Elden Ring is the Darksiders of Souls games.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

I keep getting the feeling that a lot of the game might feel a little too familiar? By which I mean, not terribly original when held up against previous FROM games. I hope I'm wrong.

Something I think about now and then, do you think a RPG like this but with a contemporary setting would be possible? I guess it would have to be mostly guns for weapons then wouldn't it? I suppose you could point to Shenmue which I've never played, but something with a lot of combat like a Souls games, can you even envision it? Its something I've always thought would be cool to see.

If you have no standards The Surge games are right there. And Elden Ring sounds like it's Breath of the Wild X Dark Souls, which is about all I could ever ask for in a game

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Miyazaki writing style is to make everyone extremely vague and open to interpretation, while Martin tends to get bogged down by details and then fail to deliver when he realizes he can't line up all his balls in a row. So Miyazaki is using Martin as a selling point, getting a few cool high fantasy ideas out of him, and then riffing off that. Miyazaki has total creative control.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Was that ever in question? I thought it was clarified early on that Martin would contribute to the setting design and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Miyazaki said somewhere that GRRM basically wrote him a D&D dungeon master's campaign setting guide which he is using to build the actual story. It sounds like GRRM created the entire world and Miyazaki is working within it, the same way a DM would build their own campaign within the Forgotten Realms or whatever.